Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought or two...

Yes they could get further apart physically yet suffering the same loss.

Although Sam, who we see suffering, is the one who wishes to 'talk' about Daniel and going back so soon into rotation, it's Jack who gets smacked with losses, too. First of all Jack feels Daniel's loss - he's the one who told them to let him go. Secondly Freyr tells them his buddy Thor is dead (of course he's not and they save what is left of him) and them Sam, as a hologram, is zatted in front of him where he cannot help.

One of my favorite shots of Jack - Sam is safe, Thor is back among the Asgard and that was Daniel in the breeze - he knows everything is right if just for now.
    sigpic
    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

The Season 6 Rewatch starts today and will run roughly as follows:

Mon 12th July: Redemption Part1: Fluffy17
      Thur 15th July: Redemption Part 2: Josiane
      Mon 19th July: Descent: Sarai
      Thur 22nd July: Frozen: Cagranosalis
      Mon 26th July: Nightwalkers: Petra
      Thur 29th July: Abyss: Josiane
      Mon 2nd August: Shadow Play: Cagranosalis
      Thur 5th August: The Other Guys: Toomi
      Mon 9th August: Allegience: Petra
      Thur 12th August: The Cure: hlndncr
      Mon 16th August: Prometheus: Josiane
      Thur 19th August: Unnatural Selection: Petra
      Mon 23rd August: Sight Unseen: hlndncr
      Thur 26th August: Smoke And Mirrors: Toomi
      Mon 30th August: Paradise Lost: Josiane
      Thur 2nd September: Metamorphosis: Fluffy17
      Mon 6th September: Disclosure: hlndncr
      Thur 9th September: Forsaken: Cagranosalis
      Mon 13th September: The Changeling: Toomi
      Thur 16th September: Memento: Petra
      Mon 20th September: Prophecy: Fluffy17
      Thur 23rd September: Full Circle: Cagranosalis
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        I agree with you here and with what you said before. I go with the flow for ships in canon - I think this is why it's so incredibly frustrating when I feel like the writers have led the audience to see chemistry between two characters (*cough*Janeway/Chakotay*cough*), puts them in very romantic settings (*cough*NewEarthcandelitdinners*cough*) and then just smack you with a *haha we gotcha* (*cough*Chakotay/Seven*cough*).
        Sooo know what you mean on this! Although at the time of watching Voyager, I wasn't aware that 'ship' existed (in a sense) that whole scenario completely hacked me off. (I won't say anymore - don't want to set you off... lol!)

Comment

Redemption Part 1

Season 6 starts with SG1 running towards the Stargate, with Jack obviously injured. A mistake by the 9th replacement for Daniel had put them in danger. Its 3 months after Daniels ascension. The good news is that the X302 is almost ready and SG1 plus Jonas go to Area 51. It’s the first ship capable of interstellar travel. The conversation between Jonas & Sam where she asks him if he’d like to go is strained to say the least.

When they return Bra’tac visits with an urgent message for Teal’c, his wife Drey'auc is dying after refusing to take a new symbiote. On arriving in Chulak they discover she is already dead. Emotions run high as Rya’c blames Teal’c for her death and tries to avenge her death by fighting Teal’c, but Bra’tac intervenes. There are moving scenes with Teal’c showing real emotion.

Back on Earth something mysterious is happening with the Stargate, it won’t close down. It appears that the Stargate is building up power which will result in a catastrophic explosion that will finish all life on Earth. Jack & Sam take the X-302 hoping to contact the Asgard but there’s a glitch. The hyperspace window is unstable so they abort the mission.

Back with Teal’c, he is visited by a friend informing him that Earth is under attack. With Bra’tacs help they discover the planet responsible for the attack.

At the SGC – a hologram of Anubis appears telling them that they should “Prepare to meet your doom”

Jack says “Oh please”………

Great lines in this one. The whole scene in the commissary is brilliant. And when Sam and Jack are in the X302 when Jack asks if there are phasers – I love it.

Shippiness

The whole bit in the X302 (she so admires his rear as she follows him into the plane). The scene in the lab when Jack calls her an egghead and she’s really scared she can’t do anything. They look really comfortable together.

And from the commentary…

How much food does Jonas eat? Brad Wright banned people eating and drinking whilst being filmed after these episodes. Sam shouldn’t have been so cold to Jonas but it was filmed out of sequence. The X302 you see doesn’t have wings in real life. And in the commissary scene Teal’c eats a grape because it took too many takes and the appeal of cold mashed potato.........

I really like these episodes more of film feeling that a tv show as well.

Comment

This would have been in here sooner but it was posted in the wrong thread. Please make note of Skydiver's warning and keep it in mind when posting in the future.

Originally posted by Skydiver
            I'm interrupting this thread for a little Mod Note and Reality check.

Ladies and Gents....the topic here always has been and always will be Sam and Jack...and every one of you has a different opinion as to just how shippy you see them, etc. And that's fine. Be a boring world if you all thought the same.

And we really haven't had an issue within the thread...you're all pretty tolerant towards each other. That said, I've seen some very definite intolerance towards anyone that's NOT a shipper. This is unacceptable.

What I don't want to see or read here is 'I don't understand how people can't love this pairing' 'How can they think it's bad' etc, etc.

In other words, what is now and forever off topic is you speculating about other fans and how they can not share your opinions or beliefs.

Believe it or not, there are those that don't like the ship that get upset and annoyed when you in here are talking about them 'behind their backs'. They come in and read the thread. Then they report stuff to us. They are paying attention to what you're saying...and here you guys go and give them something worth reading.

STOP IT.

The 'anti shippers' are always and forever off topic. Leave them alone. In their thread, they don't go talking about you, so show them the same courtesy.

And if you're upset that they come in here...well stop giving them reasons.

This is a final and written warning to everyone. No more posts about the non-shippers. If someone in here makes a post talking about other fans, your duty is to report it to us...don't reply or respond. Just report it and let the mods deal with it.

and how we're going to deal with it is to delete the post and gag the poster for a period of days...in other words, set you to read only status not just in this thread but in the whole forum.

Sam and Jack is a topic that spans 10 seasons and 2 movies and thousands of fanfic...surely you have better things to talk about than other fans.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Thanks guys. I say 'guest' more as a non-shipper on a ship thread, you guys have this lovely, cozy cabin here and I don't want to do anything silly like track mud into the den or spill coffee on the sofa. That said you've all been so nice and welcoming that most of the time I feel right at home, so thank you again.
              That's ok. There's a nice, cozy POND in the back to go swimming in to clean off the mud

My take on Solitudes is that that was when Sam and Jack's friendship truly solidified. They'd been moving in that direction since the beginning of S1, but I think that ordeal of relying solely on each other for survival, where they saw the best and worst of each other, and then finally almost dying together formed a bond of trust between them that was never broken.
              I agree

Eventhough you're not a shipper, I very much enjoy your posts here

Redemption is the newest on the re-watch list, huh? Is it shallow of me to enjoy it when Jack is injured? Yes? Ok.

I liked Jonas a lot but I'm glad it took a while for everyone to warm up to him. It would have felt unrealistic otherwise.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Akamai has just posted a very nice tag for this episode Eating Elephants
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                  Akamai has just posted a very nice tag for this episode Eating Elephants
                  Very nice tag, it was, too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Redemption I

Generally

I think the first episode/story of the new season had a lot to do: it had to provide a fantastic compelling opening given there had been no cliffhanger from the previous season; it had to reform SG1 in some way without Daniel, and it had to effectively introduce the concept to a potentially new network given the swap.

I actually think it does a pretty good job of the former; Earth in peril, and Anubis and his Cloak of Doom.

It begins the reformation with Jonas providing his input to various discussions while hinting at his own aspirations to join SG1 to all the different members.

And I think it even does a reasonable job through Jonas and his newbie status at introducing the world of Stargate to those potential new audience members.

However, it's still not a fave. Some it is that while the Earth-in-peril stuff is a good storyline, it is fairly static with them all basically sitting around/standing around talking about What To Do (even the attempt to go find the Asgard in the 302 isn't enough to break this up). Some of it is the reappearance of McKay and his rivalry with Sam which just irritates me. Some of it is the reappearance of the Russians (which fair enough has to be done for the resolution of how they get another gate in the second part). And some of it was the whole Teal'c/Angry Rya'c and the let-us-remember-Teal'c-has-a-family stuff which is used as the sub-plot (even though getting rid of Drey-auc did free up Teal'c for more romance-y stuff later with Ishta).

Sam and Jack

The thing that strikes me is that they are completely comfortable with each other. She likes presenting him with the 302. He backs her up immediately with offering to join her in the mission to the Asgard. There are quite a few nice scenes of them simply being in synch and comfortable. As though sometime in the (I think a 3 month timescale is given) time between Daniel's death and the events of Redemption, they have refound the friendship and connection they had before the events of Entity and Jack's withdrawal, but one where neither has the expectation of anything with other (although I would maintain both still love each other). It's like a return to late S2/early S3 for me in terms of the way their relationship plays out. It's not as angsty as it was in S5 and there is more friendship here which is great to see.
                    sigpic
                    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Hooray, season 6! I'm going to be a bit careful here with how much I say about Redemption I, as I'm doing the review for part two and don't want to get ahead of myself, but I want to pick up on this:

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                      Sam and Jack

The thing that strikes me is that they are completely comfortable with each other. She likes presenting him with the 302. He backs her up immediately with offering to join her in the mission to the Asgard. There are quite a few nice scenes of them simply being in synch and comfortable. As though sometime in the (I think a 3 month timescale is given) time between Daniel's death and the events of Redemption, they have refound the friendship and connection they had before the events of Entity and Jack's withdrawal, but one where neither has the expectation of anything with other (although I would maintain both still love each other). It's like a return to late S2/early S3 for me in terms of the way their relationship plays out. It's not as angsty as it was in S5 and there is more friendship here which is great to see.
                      This has always really struck me too when rewatching and moving from the end of 5 (where as we've discussed there's a lot of tension) into the beginning of 6 where they are actually pretty much at their most comfortable with each other than at any time since before Divide & Conquer. I think Rachel is right to point out that there has been a 3 month gap and plenty of time for them to move on from Daniel's death (well, mostly...) and reconcile with each other again. But I think also that this is one of the effects of Daniel's death, that while in the immediate aftermath it put Sam and Jack at odds with one another, in the long-run it actually brings them closer together. I think it's linked to realising how fragile life is and just how possible it would be for them to lose each other. They aren't at the point of deciding to put 'them' above their duty to SG1 and the Earth and the Galaxy as a whole (for one thing, the job's not finished yet ), but I think perhaps they do start to think that they shouldn't hold back from each other as much as they have been doing - as Sam said to Daniel, you shouldn't necessarily always wait to tell people how you feel about them. Obviously their entire relationship is still hugely ringed round with barbed wire and flashing 'don't go there' signs, but I guess they stop holding it at arms length, if that tortuous metaphor makes any sense
                      sigpic
                      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Hooray for season 6, my favourite season of the franchise!

{mod snip}

Hopefully I'll be back to post my reviews, so see you guys at the Nightwalkers discussion! Have fun!

To end on a more positive and on-topic note:

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                        But I think also that this is one of the effects of Daniel's death, that while in the immediate aftermath it put Sam and Jack at odds with one another, in the long-run it actually brings them closer together. I think it's linked to realising how fragile life is and just how possible it would be for them to lose each other. They aren't at the point of deciding to put 'them' above their duty to SG1 and the Earth and the Galaxy as a whole (for one thing, the job's not finished yet ), but I think perhaps they do start to think that they shouldn't hold back from each other as much as they have been doing - as Sam said to Daniel, you shouldn't necessarily always wait to tell people how you feel about them.
                        THIS. This is exactly how I see S/J relationship in season 6. Daniel's death brought them closer together.
                        Last edited by KatG; 16 July 2010, 08:22 AM. Reason: ot whining about mod issues
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

[QUOTE=Petra;11708980]Hooray for season 6, my favourite season of the franchise!

{mod snip}

THIS. This is exactly how I see S/J relationship in season 6. Daniel's death brought them closer together.
                          After a bit of time had passed, I agree. They had to mourn in their own ways (which put them at odds for a bit) first.
                          Last edited by KatG; 16 July 2010, 08:23 AM. Reason: snipped op, no longer relevant
                          sigpic

Comment

Umm, not much to add here except:

Fluffy, excellent review as always.

Josi and Rachel500, yeah, what you said there. Dammit where's my green?

and... Leiasky, what you said to Petra there... yeah, that too.

Oh and how come nobody's mentioned the fact Sam is so checking out Jack's er, derrière right there when they are boarding the 302 in those supershiny (and leave nottoomuch to the imagination) suits? Oh just go back and look at the banner and you'll see that very shot.

Ok, not sure if that qualifies as ship discussion so much as random lowering of the tone of the thread but, hey, if Sam checking Jack out isn't shippy (and this is, after all season 6 when Jack looks particularly thunkworthy so who can blame the girl), what is!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                              Umm, not much to add here except:

Fluffy, excellent review as always.

Josi and Rachel500, yeah, what you said there. Dammit where's my green?

and... Leiasky, what you said to Petra there... yeah, that too.

Oh and how come nobody's mentioned the fact Sam is so checking out Jack's er, derrière right there when they are boarding the 302 in those supershiny (and leave nottoomuch to the imagination) suits? Oh just go back and look at the banner and you'll see that very shot.

Ok, not sure if that qualifies as ship discussion so much as random lowering of the tone of the thread but, hey, if Sam checking Jack out isn't shippy (and this is, after all season 6 when Jack looks particularly thunkworthy so who can blame the girl), what is!
                              She is so checking him out but yes...Jack is particularly thunkworthy in S6 so who can blame her?!

And yes, where is the green? I can't green anyone...

Petra - Like the others, I hope you stay. I love hearing your views about the episodes and the ship.
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

I did I did - honest - I mean what a place to be and he is soooo yummy in this season

Comment

Working...
                                X