Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    This is a discussion thread, so, as part of that discussion, people will have different opinions.

That said, those opinions must be expressed with respect, not just for each other but for the actors involved as well.

In other words, if you can't say it nice, don't say it at all.
    Fat old stupid general obviously referred to Jack not RDA as he's neither fat, nor stupid and certainly not a general

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
      Fat old stupid general obviously referred to Jack not RDA as he's neither fat, nor stupid and certainly not a general
      So... Either you're saying you're stupid, or you think we are.

And I'll probably get modded for this, but I don't care, Sally.

I mean Siles.

Comment

*sigh* It's such a shame when trolls come along to try and ruin a perfectly decent conversation.

Anyway...

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Jack's decision in Scorched Earth - to support and protect the natives to whom he has already made a commitment - highlights, I think, one of his central characteristics. I think Jack's natural instinct, as it were, or maybe part of his self-definition, is to protect. It's possible he's in the military not as a profession but because that's who he *is*. You see it with him and his 'team', him and his planet, between him and Sam.. I think it's one of the reasons his failure to protect Charlie (and consequently Sara) hurt him so deeply - it was a failure at his most basic and profound self-definition. I think his desire to protect those he loves is even one of the things that keeps him from Sam - he *couldn't* keep her safe and protected and therefore couldn't bear the thought of loving and losing. It's even why I think he got so upset and rushed Ba'al in Continuum: "What have you done with *my* people..."

So, having promised to find the Enkarans a new home and keep them safe, that's what Jack intended to do. They had become, effectively *his* people. So of course he choose to side with them and to do whatever it took to protect them. That's what he does.
        Earlier I was trying to formulate a reply because I picked a couple of bits from Col aga and Rachel's discussions that I wanted to agree with and examine in more detail. I was having a twisty wordy day today so didn't bother because I couldn't quite word it right but, heh, there you go, you've gone and said just what I wanted to say and the way I would have said it too.

Great review again Josi.

I do think there are paralells to be drawn between this episode and The Other Side not so much in the situation but in the conflict it generates between the team.
        I think it's been said by more than one person that the thing they like about Jack and Sam is the natural progression and development of the relationhsip - i.e. it feels real. I can expand that here to include Jack and Daniel's relationship which we certainly see develop and change here. Actually there's almost a point where, as Jack's feelings for Sam come to the fore, his antagonistic relationship with Daniel gets more difficult. I don't know if the two are related of merely just conicidental character development for them all, but I can certainly understand why anti-shippers (especially those fond of the Jack and Daniel dynamic -and no, I don't mean slashers) find the whole Sam/Jack thing so distasteful if they relate the two. Personally I think it's just something that any relationship with anyone - friend or lover - they ebb and flow and sometimes you get on and sometimes you go through sticky patches. Jack and Daniel's friendship does go through a fairly extended sticky patch which seems borne mostly of changes Jack undergoes; Daniel is just being Daniel most of the time. Jack used to put up with much of Daniel's differing ways with a fairly good nature, only really calling him up on something when it became critical/dangerous, but his tolerance levels are really low at this point.
        I think some of this is to do with Jack trying to put his own emotions in order - trying to prove to himself, almost, subconciously that he is still objective where his team - including Sam - is concerned. This explains why he seems able make a decision that would effectively kill Daniel so easily; it's not easy but he's convinced himself that it is and it would be for any of them for the greater good. Interestingly, even after Daniel does, actually die (well, ascend) his attitude is very much the same "we lose people all the time" get over it, although that happens long after he's actually had to face the emotional implications of losing someone he cares about.
        I do think the Jack we see in these later S4 episodes is very much a man in conflict with his emotions and it governs a lot of his interaction with them all.
        sigpic

Comment

Banner by Sarai

Beneath the Surface Recap: Jack and Sam line up at breakfast in some kind of power plant and the server Keegan refuses to give Sam her bread. As Jack protests, Daniel intervenes acting as though he doesn’t know them. Jack and Daniel fight and Teal’c suddenly steps in breaking them up and telling them both that they shouldn’t be fighting; that they are part of SG1 and are friends. A supervisor, Brenna intervenes and removes Teal’c. She claims he is night sick, and reassures Jack calling him ‘Jonah’ and Sam ‘Thera’. The server calls Daniel ‘Karlin.’ Something is definitely amiss as they all appear to have no memory of their previous existence.

Five days later, Teal’c reappears as ‘Tor’. There is an explosion and Sam helps to contain it. Jack watches her concerned and is relieved when she is OK. Brenna agrees to listen to Sam’s ideas much to Keegan’s dismay. Daniel notes that Sam seems smart.

The SGC speaks with Administrator Calder on P3R118. Calder tells him that they haven’t found SG1; that the team wandered into the ice beyond the dome and are lost.

Daniel dreams of the Stargate and Jack, and he later approaches Teal’c who tells him to leave him alone. Keegan tells Daniel that if he continues people will think that he’s night sick. Brenna goes to see Calder. SG1 are part of the slave population on the planet helping to produce power used on the surface that the slaves do not even know exists. As Keegan tells Daniel if he becomes friends with Jonah and Thera, he won’t be friends with her, Teal’c collapses and there is almost an explosion but for the quick actions of Sam, Daniel and Jack. Brenna thanks them for their efforts and as they leave Teal’c in the power plant version of the infirmary, Daniel tells them of his dream; Sam admits to the same dream and they agree to meet later.

After hours, they discuss their dreams and Daniel points out that their memories are very limited and that they need to start questioning everything. At the SGC, Hammond tells Janet that he has asked Griff to put together a covert rescue plan although at that moment his hands are tied. Things are beginning to come back to Jack, Sam and Daniel. Jack and Sam are in a corner talking; Sam cuddled up to Jack, her head on his shoulder. Sam tells Jack that there are things about being where they are that she likes and he tells her that he remembers feeling feelings for her.

Brenna tells Calder that she thinks Teal’c is dying and the memory stamp isn’t holding on the others. When Calder notes that its time for them all to die, Brenna returns to the plant and attempts to help SG1 escape, filling them in on their real names and lives. Calder has anticipated her and arrives but SG1 manages to get the upper hand as Teal’c comes out of a deep state of kel no reem. SG1 break the news to the other slaves in the power plant. As Jack remembers Hammond, Sam calls him ‘sir’ much to Jack’s pained dismay; they have to return to their military relationship. They go home.

Favourite Lines:

Daniel: Do you have the same dream?
          Jack: About you?
          Sam: No, about the shimmering circle of water!
          Jack (looks sideways at Sam): No, my dreams are about…other things.

Favourite Scene:

The feeling feelings scene but I admit I also love the Hammond & Janet scene back at the SGC.

General Review/Analysis:

I should start with the general disclaimer that I love this episode so I’m going to make this general part of the review fairly succinct.

For me, it has that perfect mix of light and dark; the perfect mix of a great sci-fi story (memory stamp, slave culture on another world) while inherently being about how the characters respond to their environment, their relationships with each other, how they come to remember and realise the truth.

The whole concept is well-executed; the guest performances of Brenna, Griff (one of my fave other SGC guys), Keegan and Calder are great and everything just works for me.

I know a lot is made of Daniel not being friends with them at the start but I kind of think this would be natural (even Teal'c when newly restamped doesn't gravitate towards them). Effectively SG1 is a group of misfits thrown together who bond as a family – and he doesn’t stay separated from them – he does eventually choose Sam and Jack as his friends over his relationship with Keegan (and there is a hint that they are more than simply friends). I also love Teal’c in this episode especially at the end where he rises up off the couch to rescue them – so Teal’c!

The episode title is just fabulous ‘beneath the surface’ works on many levels for this story: the culture of the planet, the factory environment itself, Daniel’s belief in something bigger – in wanting to make a difference, and, of course, Sam & Jack and their feelings.

Sam and Jack

Their relationship forms a main thread of the storyline and I admit that it is one of the reasons why I love this episode. Because even though they are Jonah and Thera it allows their relationship to be explored more and what is revealed is the underlying solid friendship between them, the depth of their feelings, and that these feelings endure.

From the very first scene Jack is shown beside Sam. He takes her side in the dispute over the bread and is shown to be protective of her. That protectiveness continues in their next scene where he immediately reacts when Sam is in close proximity to an explosion and when Brenna leaves they exchange a nod of acknowledgement. Even so, he leaves his workstation to check on her when she walks past.

What is lovely is that their dynamic is the same; he cares about her, wants to make sure she’s OK and he makes her laugh. He’s also still trying to encourage her not to work too hard and it’s interesting that here Thera points out to Jonah that he works just as hard, a truthful observation he tries to dismiss with humour. There’s this lovely sense that Jonah just wants to be closer to Thera; wants to spend time with her. And this sense that Thera knows that and like the attention; likes him.

I also love the scene after Thera gets told that she can’t make her improvements when she’s venting to Jonah. He’s just *there* for her and she’s appreciative of that. It’s an interesting scene for me because I can’t see Sam being quite so openly vent-y with Jack at this point (although I’m sure she is *now*). I think she would confide in him concerns but her tone and words would be different because he’s still her CO. But this is such a great scene of their friendship – of the support they give one another.

The next scene of note is really the first scene with Daniel (Karlin) when they discuss their memories. His dialogue is very revealing: “It’s like a façade. It only works if we don’t dig too deep beneath the surface, if we don’t question it...”

It’s a perfect statement of their relationship as Sam and Jack. If they maintain the professional facade if they don’t dig too deep beneath the surface or question their actions or probe their feelings too deep they’ll be fine. Yet just beneath is the truth that they deny.

It’s also the first time Thera calls Jonah ‘sir’ as Sam’s subconscious memory prompts the response automatically – and you can see how much it disturbs both of them.

Then there is the feeling feelings dialogue. And this is truly important because it underscores the confessions in D&C and the kiss in WOO. Thera is anxious; they know their memories are false – that they are beginning to remember the truth and she is worried about the future. Her opening statement of ‘there are some things I like about this place’ and Jonah’s realisation that she’s talking about him is so sweet. And then he tries to reassure her that whatever else may change, he remembers ‘feeling feelings’. It’s meant as a reassurance that them will exist beyond their memories. Of course, the saddest thing is that they don’t remember at this point that the feelings are inappropriate; that they can’t be together. So angsty!

When Jonah has the dream and he remembers – his first instinct is to tell Thera. He practically dives over to her bed which is just across from him.

The end scene though is truly heart-breaking. The use of ranks as they acknowledge their primary relationship; Jack’s attempt to lighten things when Sam tells him about Hammond; and then the ‘sir.’ The way he repeats it as though it’s the most awful thing in the world to him. And I think it is at this point. But as he says ‘let’s go home’ there’s an acceptance that things are going to go back – that their feelings will be buried beneath the surface again.

I don’t actually think this scene is a redux of the ‘let’s leave it in the room’ at the end of D&C. I think there is genuine grief on both sides at the loss of their openness and lack of complication as Jonah and Thera. I think Sam has already started to rebuild her barriers when she calls him Colonel because I think desperately trying to protect herself. And I think he realises that when he replies with Major. Unlike the ‘are we OK with that?’ – I think the ‘sir’ repeat is more of a caution to himself then a question to her but what it does reveal in spades is Jack’s regret at being ‘sir’ and not Jonah.

Overall, this is a great ship episode. I think it would have been great to have seen a kiss but it doesn’t need it. In many ways, if they had been shown or alluded to be intimate then it’s difficult to see how they could have continued to serve together afterwards– there would have been consequences and I think both of them would have realised that they had crossed a line they couldn’t uncross. Which of course has made for a LOT of fanfic.
          sigpic
          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
            <snipped for space>
            Overall, this is a great ship episode. I think it would have been great to have seen a kiss but it doesn’t need it. In many ways, if they had been shown or alluded to be intimate then it’s difficult to see how they could have continued to serve together afterwards– there would have been consequences and I think both of them would have realised that they had crossed a line they couldn’t uncross. Which of course has made for a LOT of fanfic.
            Great Review Rachel! Totally agree with what you say, especially with this last bit, I can't see them going straight back to SG1 if they crossed that line. Considering the conversation we had about them touching being a big deal I can't see them burying this and just moving on to the next episode, certainly not with the shipless season we know is coming
            sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

The only thing I'd had here about Beneath the Surface, in regards to Sam and Jack and their relationship, is I've always found it interesting that even with their memories gone (or mostly gone), their basic fears and motivations remain the same. Specifically, I think in the 'feeling feeling's' scene, the reason Jack says what he says is because he senses what Sam's really getting at in her comment about liking some things about the place - and there's something a bit sad and pensive IMHO about the way she says it - is that she's afraid, as they're getting memories back and realizing they're not the people they think they are, that Jonas is going to realize he doesn't really love her and he's going to leave her. So, even in this situation, Sam's basic underlying fear of loss and being left remains the same. And the reason I think that is because Jack's answer is meant to reassure her that his underlying personality - the real him, if you will - retains his love for her. Or, in other words, it's yet another instance of her fearing he's leaving her (this time as his memories return) and his promising he won't.

Which just goes to show how basic her need for that reassurance and his understanding of it and instinct to be there for her despite everything when she needs him really are. Because in a very real way, every major discussion they have, every time she begs him not to leave or asks him to do the impossible to stay alive and there with her, boils down to just that. And, ultimately, I believe his leaving the SGC for DC is the culmination of that - his really being where she needs him to be.

Comment

I've come to realize that Beneath the Surface is my favorite episode; it is the one I seem to rewatch the most. It has it all; good and interesting story as well as some serious S/J shipness. It is clear from the start (when the thermostat, or whatever, 'explodes') that Jonas is smitten with Therra. He keeps his eye on her, and I don't blame him. She must have been a ray of light for him in that dark and bleak place. One of my favorite scenes is the one where the two are walking side by side when Therra is on her way to Brenna's office. Also the ending, when they realize who they are, yet they are still feeling the mutual attraction, since there hasn't really been time to repress the feelings... so touching!

This episode is very similar with Star Trek Voyager's episode "Workforce", which I happened to see first (I got into Stargate only recently). In both episodes there are workers being exploited on an alien planet whose memories have been erased. I like Voyager a lot, but I don't like the episode Workforce (or the final season in general). But I absolutely love Beneath The Surface. Conclusion: Stargate simply did it better.
                Last edited by Tachyon; 01 February 2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Okay, I pretty much think the same way as everyone else so far. I've got a few extra observations.

My initial reaction when Beneath the Surface started was, "Oh my!!!" All those glistening muscles, fires snapping and crackling everywhere, the red/orange coloring. My oh my! And Sam's hair... Wow! And is it just my reaction to her hair or is Sam more doeeyed than ever in this episode?

I love the names they gave to Jack and Sam. Names used in fiction are important to me. These names actually go beneath the surface of the real characters. Jonah: a dove, the symbol of peace, gentleness and purity. This is Jack's true drive in life. Thera, a short form of Theresa: a harvester, someone who works for the end result. This is Sam with everything she does.

I love how the story kept me thinking that SG-1 was working undercover. I wondered up until the conversation between Brenna and Calder. Thinking that way gave me quite a few giggly squees my first time watching the beginning moments with Sam and Jack.

How obvious can the PTB be in telling us that we'll be getting a nice dose of S/J ship when just after the explosion scene, we get the intro part of their shippy theme playing while Sam and Jack are walking and chatting and smiling and looking at each other so casually.

And, well, blame the shippy music but...
                  When Daniel says: "Look, I just have this feeling that all of us are part of some…bigger, grander thing." Then Jack looks at Sam and she at him. Squeee!

Of course I love the scene with "My dreams are about... other things." and the way Jack can't stop looking at Sam.

My most favorite part is a little bit further into this conversation where we get:
                  Sam: I remember a feeling of cold and darkness.
                  Daniel: And that’s where the two of you met?
                  Jack: Yeah!
                  Sam: Really?
                  Jack: Sure.

Oh my God, the looks Sam and Jack have during that!! I smacked hubby on the arm and squeeled, "See! I told you Solitudes is when they fell in love. Hah!" But he still argued, "Nope, love at first sight."

What I get most out of the "feeling feelings" scene is right after Sam says "then I feel better" and Jack pensively turns his head away from her. Oh the angst of their memories returning!! On a side note: this action is repeated in Metamorphisis after Sam relinquishes and leans against Jack. Every time I see that scene it takes me back to here. I can't help thinking Jack is remembering this feeling feelings conversation.

Favorite quote:
                  Jack/Jonah: "I dreamed about mining... naked."
                  I just cannot decide whether this is Jonah talking about a real dream or a Jackism because right after this he trades food bowls with the big guy and that bowl later triggers the memory of talking with Calder. But if it's Jonah, poor guy because he really must be confused by it. We've already seen how confused he is from the earlier conversation about remembering shoveling ore into a cart... a lot! ROFL!

Comment

I love the episode Beneath the Surface because of the exploration of Sam and Jack. I'm loving all your reviews and thoughts because it's opening up things I hadn't considered. Like this:

The only thing I'd had here about Beneath the Surface, in regards to Sam and Jack and their relationship, is I've always found it interesting that even with their memories gone (or mostly gone), their basic fears and motivations remain the same. Specifically, I think in the 'feeling feeling's' scene, the reason Jack says what he says is because he senses what Sam's really getting at in her comment about liking some things about the place - and there's something a bit sad and pensive IMHO about the way she says it - is that she's afraid, as they're getting memories back and realizing they're not the people they think they are, that Jonas is going to realize he doesn't really love her and he's going to leave her. So, even in this situation, Sam's basic underlying fear of loss and being left remains the same. And the reason I think that is because Jack's answer is meant to reassure her that his underlying personality - the real him, if you will - retains his love for her. Or, in other words, it's yet another instance of her fearing he's leaving her (this time as his memories return) and his promising he won't.

Which just goes to show how basic her need for that reassurance and his understanding of it and instinct to be there for her despite everything when she needs him really are. Because in a very real way, every major discussion they have, every time she begs him not to leave or asks him to do the impossible to stay alive and there with her, boils down to just that. And, ultimately, I believe his leaving the SGC for DC is the culmination of that - his really being where she needs him to be.
                    I *knew* that to be true, but I never thought about it before.

Sadly, I have nothing to add on with what you've all said. I did find it interesting that Teal'c was the outsider, and that Daniel was "against" Sam and Jack. It originally made me wonder about the team dynamic, but I've never really considered Daniel to be against them.
                    sigpic
                    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I was ill during the last couple of months so I missed a huge chunk of discussions. A certain someone, in another thread, mentioned A Hundred Days and that got me thinking so I dug back to the rewatch discussion and really would like to add a few thoughts I have to it.

The rewatch started with Cagranosalis' post here.
                      Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                      I get the impression Jack basically has a massive sulk on after getting stranded. He barely speaks. I imagine this is not helped by the fact half the village sort of blame him for their people being missing and the Garan at least blames himself for getting Jack stranded. Laira is the only one who seems willing to embrace him into the community at first.
                      Only because she wants him to get her pregnant. \snark (really... just kidding)

I shall probably get rotten cabbages thrown at me for saying this but Jack and Laira have a really nice chemistry.
                      I agree (about the chemistry, not the rotten cabbages. well, at least no rotten cabbages from me) and it's because this show had a fabulous casting staff. I've loved and believed in every actor they put on the show no matter how small the part and even when they played more than one character!

She believed Jack could never go home, Jack - who is more technologically advanced - had some hope but fairly quickly realised it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. By the time he "gives up" and starts a proper relationship with Laira there is no reason for him to think he will ever go home at this point.
                      Here is my biggest issue with this episode. I am unable to accept that Jack would "give up" thinking he was going to get back to earth. He knew the SGC knew where he was and he knew there was another way to get to the planet and Jack just plain didn't give up. Ever. Period. Exclamation Point!

And Rachel500 explains it much nicer in her post here:
                      I don't think Jack gives up so much as he comes to accept his situation; he is where he is. I think that is effectively the point of the scene at the river where Laira speaks to him of her grief. Jack is grieving - not just for the loss of his home but of the people in his life. He knows it'll be a long time before someone comes looking for him especially with the gate evidently completely buried. When we leave him at that point, he hasn't accepted his situation; he's msierable and lonely; he's angry, depressed. And Laira reaches out to him and helps him to start moving on.
                      So, my feelings about Laira. To like or not to like her. Can't I do both? I also don't like Sarah. Same reason: threat to Sam's and Jack's personal relationship, even though what these women had with Jack was ended for Jack (in his conscious mind). Therefore, I will always see them as a threat to Sam for her man. Cat fight anyone?

I have zero problems believing that Jack would get involved with Laira. Lots of reasons for it. JenniferJF explains it very well in her post here.
                      So, life on Edora is a direct contrast to life on SG-1, and I think Laira is a direct foil to Sam. Laira is very maternal and almost stereotypically 'wifey', Sam is anything but. Jack could have a life there with Laira, become a husband and father who is, effectively, worshiped and adored. Simple and relatively uncomplicated.
                      And Rachel500:
                      I enjoy the fact that actually she is a mature woman almost equivalent to Jack in years and experience. She's a believable 'other' for him. I always put her around the same age that Sara would have been. And in many ways, I think Laira and Garan, a woman and a son without a husband and father, is a representation of Jack's past - he's a man who no longer has a wife and son. There's symmetry in their coming together, and possibly in many ways Jack may even subconsciously be very attracted and seduced even by the idea of gaining what he had lost.
                      I also see Laira being very much like Sarah (for crying out loud their names even rhyme) and Jack had a good relationship with Sarah so it's easy to understand that he could attempt a relationship with Laira. Even if only to try and figure out if he could make it work this time, or maybe understand what he did wrong, or [insert your own favorite psychological defense mechanism here]. Add to this Jack inviting Laira to come back to Earth with him and we see exactly how much he really wants to have his happy life back and that if either of these women offered again he would do it.

I also think Laira telling Jack she wanted him to make her pregnant was completely wrong for the story and not because I want Jack to be with Sam. But honestly what really rankles me is her telling him, "It's not the part I want." I feel the PTB had a specific reason for putting that little conversation in as they did; work this story and drop the Sam-side, revisit this story if the Sam-side was kept up just to be evil, or maybe just plain to be evil. It really doesn't matter to me what, if even anything, they had planned by it because I still think it was as unnecessary as was Sam and Pete wrestling up against the wall in Chimera. I don't need stuff in my face in order to get it.

Speaking of... and since Jack sleeping with Laira was never actually shown or talked about... I am one who thinks they never did. Reasons for this is because Jack wouldn't take that chance, especially after her telling him she wants to have his baby. So then maybe that was needed after all? No. That still could have been done better. Even if the having a baby thing never was in the air, the lack of birth control alone would have kept Jack at bay because, knowing that he would be going back to Earth even if it was going to take a few years, he wasn't going to make a kid without guarantee that he'd be there for it. And as slurredspeech says here:
                      Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                      As much as three months is a long time to be stranded, it's also a short time to know a person, so the whole 'Give me a baby' bit felt a little rushed and... pushy.
                      If Sam and Jack are a couple then how could Jack even consider having a relationship with Laira. At this point, they really aren't a couple. They have deep feelings for each other but I don't think they've dealt with them together. If they had, we'd be seeing a very different show at this point. What I've seen by this time is that Sam and Jack are working that out independently. Up to this episode we've seen them openly playing around with the idea with each other. Meaning they are both open to explore other relationships. It's this episode that kicks off them seriously thinking about being together for real, for keeps, the whole enchilada.
                      Last edited by UhSir; 01 February 2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Rachel, great review!!

UhSir, your dedication amazes me *virtual green*

I love how the story kept me thinking that SG-1 was working undercover. I wondered up until the conversation between Brenna and Calder. Thinking that way gave me quite a few giggly squees my first time watching the beginning moments with Sam and Jack.
                        Oh, I also thought they were working undercover until that conversation *sigh* I just love the PTB (who wrote this episode by the way?)

How obvious can the PTB be in telling us that we'll be getting a nice dose of S/J ship when just after the explosion scene, we get the intro part of their shippy theme playing while Sam and Jack are walking and chatting and smiling and looking at each other so casually.
                        I didn't notice the music, yet another reason (not that I really need any) to rewatch this episode...
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                          I love the names they gave to Jack and Sam. Names used in fiction are important to me. These names actually go beneath the surface of the real characters. Jonah: a dove, the symbol of peace, gentleness and purity. This is Jack's true drive in life. Thera, a short form of Theresa: a harvester, someone who works for the end result. This is Sam with everything she does.
                          That is so cool! I didn't know that.

My most favorite part is a little bit further into this conversation where we get:

Oh my God, the looks Sam and Jack have during that!! I smacked hubby on the arm and squeeled, "See! I told you Solitudes is when they fell in love. Hah!" But he still argued, "Nope, love at first sight."
                          Aww. It's all love when these two are concerned!

Comment

d/p
                            Last edited by Tachyon; 01 February 2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

*snip*

And, well, blame the shippy music but...
                              When Daniel says: "Look, I just have this feeling that all of us are part of some…bigger, grander thing." Then Jack looks at Sam and she at him. Squeee!

Of course I love the scene with "My dreams are about... other things." and the way Jack can't stop looking at Sam.

*snip*
                              I need to listen to the music more, I missed that they played the shippy theme. I didn't even connect the "cold and darkness" with Solitudes. Good catch. I need to listen more to these episodes rather than trying to see everything. Nice job Uhsir, you have enlightened me. Oh, I almost forgot, I love this episode.
                              sigpic
                              I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                                I need to listen to the music more, I missed that they played the shippy theme. I didn't even connect the "cold and darkness" with Solitudes. Good catch. I need to listen more to these episodes rather than trying to see everything. Nice job Uhsir, you have enlightened me. Oh, I almost forgot, I love this episode.
                                Well, Solitudes was my shippy wake up call. But honestly, if I take off my shipper glasses the question from DanielKarlan really doesn't make sense. There is nothing that would have given him rise to ask that. JackJonah never said anything about remembering cold. The only thing I can think of is that JackJonah and SamThera are known to be a couple? It really doesn't fit any decent way other than for it to be a barefaced pointer to Sam and Jack being trapped in Solitudes.

Comment

Working...
                                X