Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    To drag this back out again

    Originally posted by gater62 View Post
    This is great VSS! But I love that sound of pride when Jack says that Sam was the one who figured out how to work the Stargate. She gets the prettiest smile when he says this, and like VSS said, she downplays it when Linea shows such interest in her. I'd have to say on rewatching that scene, Aveo, that Sam is proud of the fact that Jack is boasting about her. It's like she basking in his warm appraisal of her work. And we all know how Sam so identifies herself based on her job, so this would really warm her all the way to her toes!
    I agree, I was just wondering if the plot of ItLoD would have had any effect on her in the regard: As to whether she's still doubting her self and so Jack's praise is more of a surprise. LIke extra confirmation that he still trusts her and her abilities - something perhaps she's questioning both about his trust in her and her own trust in herself.
    sigpicMy Fanfic

    Comment


      Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
      To drag this back out again



      I agree, I was just wondering if the plot of ItLoD would have had any effect on her in the regard: As to whether she's still doubting her self and so Jack's praise is more of a surprise. LIke extra confirmation that he still trusts her and her abilities - something perhaps she's questioning both about his trust in her and her own trust in herself.
      It might. I think that the opening sequence gives us a clue that Sam is still coming to terms with the situation. She was very quiet, didn't have comments to make, was generally aloof. To have the chance to talk "science" with Linea, to see the cold fusion and then have Jack just up and praise her out of nowhere the way he did, probably went a long way in bringing her back to herself.
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

      Comment


        Originally posted by VSS View Post
        . Daniel is the only one who seems to have a clue, partly because he is the only one who tends to look exclusively at the broader implications of everything, and this time, the rest of the team can’t see the forest for the trees. Daniel can see the forest, and he doesn’t like what he sees. But Jack dismisses him, and Sam seems distracted, almost charmed by Linea. We see very little of Teal'c- I think he's just busy being the bodyguard.

        Why isn’t Jack more suspicious? Is he simply willing to make a deal with the devil- or does he just not care? I think he knows something’s up, but he just wants to get the team home.
        Jack is the pragmatic guy - just get the job done but, I agree with you, he and the other should have been a bit more concerned why Linea held power.


        Originally posted by VSS View Post
        Carter’s quest for knowledge causes her to overlook the dangers of allowing an obviously highly intelligent alien access to the computer system. You’d think there’d be protocols for things like this. But I think she thinks she’s found a kindred spirit, which of course, is pretty far from the truth.



        Implications for Sam and Jack: None really, Just a great episode, one of the ones that make you think.
        This will come up again when
        Spoiler:
        Clone-Ba'al is allowed to use a computer and gets into the base network.
        You would think they would give her a computer not connected to the network!

        And an aside on uniforms - there seems to be a progression from formal to informal. Start of the show they wore Service Dress, then the flight suit thingies, then the BDU's. Even Hammond lost the tie! I'd comment on seasons 9 and 10 but they do not exist in my reality.
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

        Comment


          Originally posted by Zoser View Post
          This will come up again when
          Spoiler:
          Clone-Ba'al is allowed to use a computer and gets into the base network.
          You would think they would give her a computer not connected to the network!
          yeah that always bugged me, I would have expected a duress password so the information is wrong but personnel doesn't get injured. Aparently it was a plot device...
          sigpicMy Fanfic

          Comment


            Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
            yeah that always bugged me, I would have expected a duress password so the information is wrong but personnel doesn't get injured. Aparently it was a plot device...
            A duress password! What a great phrase. Did you make that up?

            Comment


              Originally posted by VSS View Post
              A duress password! What a great phrase. Did you make that up?
              well duress codes exist (or are supposed to exist) for negotion/hostage situations so I thought it would make sense to design a secondary database filled with what appears to be information but is actually wrong so if someone is captured and forced to produce information they could use that password and the kidnappers are none the wiser - literally.
              But apparently I'm the only one who thought that'd be a good idea
              sigpicMy Fanfic

              Comment


                Originally posted by josiane View Post
                Oh that's a very good distinction to make, well done!



                That was my impression too, that they use 'he' automatically because the Goa'uld don't have genders of their own. Note also the way Jacob refers to Selmak as 'he' whereas Selmak's former host refers to him/her as 'she' - I think therefore the Goa'uld take their concept of gender more from their host than from themselves.



                I agree it is interesting that they are so unquestioning of Linea, and I can only put it down to desperation to find a way out too. Jack in particular, with the experience he explicitly alludes to about how prisons work, should really have been far more suspicious. I guess I buy it all the while they're trying to get out of there, but once they're back on Earth I agree it's surprising.



                I think this is it - she's pretty much the worst criminal there, and probably in that planet's history. I don't think she'd have had to do much at all to gain the respect or fear of all the other prisoners.



                I think this is quite a warning sign for what happens with the Aschen - I hadn't made that connection until reading your post. It's by far from the last time they seem willing to suspend their suspicion in order to gain something - they do it again with the Aschen, and in The Other Side to name just the first two that spring to mind. I'm sure there are other examples too?



                I have to say I always found the way Jack sticks close by Sam quite interesting from a shippy perspective here. He's aware that both Sam and Daniel would be perceived as weak by the prisoners, but also he knows full-well that Sam can take care of herself, whereas Daniel is less capable in that respect. And yet he chooses to stick with Sam (even sitting through scientist-talk with her), and entrusts Daniel to Teal'c. I've always got a very strong protective vibe off Jack in this episode towards Sam, and always put it down to the fact that this is so soon after ItLOD, really, and another sign of his growing feelings towards her.
                She may be able to 'take care of herself' but when it comes to the number of men there a strong protector is definitely called for. Jack again is being practical. Should have read Coela Bellator before responding - I agree with him.
                Last edited by Zoser; May 26, 2009, 08:14 AM.
                sigpic
                Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                  well duress codes exist (or are supposed to exist) for negotion/hostage situations so I thought it would make sense to design a secondary database filled with what appears to be information but is actually wrong so if someone is captured and forced to produce information they could use that password and the kidnappers are none the wiser - literally.
                  But apparently I'm the only one who thought that'd be a good idea
                  It wouldn't be that hard to do, either, if they had a random number generator built in it'd look very real and the data would all be wrong. Most critical information has a number attached to it somewhere.

                  But, I also just like cool-sounding words. "Duress password" sounds cool.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by VSS View Post
                    It wouldn't be that hard to do, either, if they had a random number generator built in it'd look very real and the data would all be wrong. Most critical information has a number attached to it somewhere.

                    But, I also just like cool-sounding words. "Duress password" sounds cool.
                    lol maybe I shoul copyright it then
                    sigpicMy Fanfic

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by KatG View Post
                      Maybe the reason Sam took the position at Area 51 because she and Jack were seriously considering having a baby. An AU fic, where the Ori never happened and they followed through on the idea could be interesting.
                      All things considered I think they should - great genes!!
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                        All things considered I think they should - great genes!!
                        I wonder why Stargate's PTB have such a problem with this kind of thing.
                        Star Trek spoilers
                        Spoiler:
                        I mean they were able to write AU Kirk's birth right into the beginning of Star Trek and far from being cheesy it was actually heartbreaking. I couldn't believe how well done it was. So I just don't believe that scifi is incompatible with anything besides short-term flings and mutant babies.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                          This is great VSS! But I love that sound of pride when Jack says that Sam was the one who figured out how to work the Stargate. She gets the prettiest smile when he says this, and like VSS said, she downplays it when Linea shows such interest in her. I'd have to say on rewatching that scene, Aveo, that Sam is proud of the fact that Jack is boasting about her. It's like she basking in his warm appraisal of her work. And we all know how Sam so identifies herself based on her job, so this would really warm her all the way to her toes!
                          Aww, I love this And I think you and Aveo are exactly right on this, there's both the element of pride and of confidence boosting from the both of them in this scene. It's just lovely

                          Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          Here's a question from out of left field for you guys-
                          Do you ever think that Sam and Jack would have kids? Why or why not, and under what circumstances?
                          I'm doing research.
                          My take on the baby thing... I would love to think that Sam and Jack could have kids - I think we've seen so many times that they both love children and have natural parental instincts. Plus I would just love the idea that Jack got a second chance after what happened with Charlie. As has already been pointed out, Sam was seriously trying in 2010, so age is not necessarily prohibitive, although I agree it's getting less and less likely! I don't think we'll ever see it now though - the way the storylines and the show has gone on since S8 mean that they've missed out on that part of their happy-ever-after I think. If the show had ended in S8 then I would definitely have believed they had kids - like the AU Sam and Jack in RE. I think it's not impossible, still, but it's not something that we're going to see onscreen, unless as a very brief passing thought at the end of movie 3 if they're certain there's not going to be any more need for the characters and can finally let them ride off into the sunset, as it were.
                          sigpic
                          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                            She may be able to 'take care of herself' but when it comes to the number of men there a strong protector is definitely called for. Jack again is being practical. Should have read Coela Bellator before responding - I agree with him.
                            Not a strong protector, as we saw at the beginning it doesn't matter how strong they are, the inmates can overwhelm them. No, what Sam needed was someone who knew when situations were getting bad and places not to go, in short she needed someone who knew how prisons worked: Jack.

                            All the shippyness in here is making me dizzy. I hope we can spit out episodes faster from now on before it degrades to "I LOVE SAM/JACK BABIES!" again.
                            sigpic
                            In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                            "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                              Not a strong protector, as we saw at the beginning it doesn't matter how strong they are, the inmates can overwhelm them. No, what Sam needed was someone who knew when situations were getting bad and places not to go, in short she needed someone who knew how prisons worked: Jack.

                              All the shippyness in here is making me dizzy. I hope we can spit out episodes faster from now on before it degrades to "I LOVE SAM/JACK BABIES!" again.
                              No, that was a legitimate question I had based on things in the series you haven't seen yet. And answered based on things the characters actually said and did, not random fluffiness or someone's romantic daydream. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've even discussed it since this thread was resurrected two months ago.

                              This is a Ship thread after all. It's a funny thing, but people who fall in love often get married and have kids. I don't know why we wouldn't want to talk about that, nor do I understand why you would consider that to be degrading.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                                Not a strong protector, as we saw at the beginning it doesn't matter how strong they are, the inmates can overwhelm them. No, what Sam needed was someone who knew when situations were getting bad and places not to go, in short she needed someone who knew how prisons worked: Jack.

                                All the shippyness in here is making me dizzy. I hope we can spit out episodes faster from now on before it degrades to "I LOVE SAM/JACK BABIES!" again.
                                Well, this is the Jack/Sam Ship Discussion thread! (though I hope it's more discussing than just the I love babies.
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X