Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    I just thought I'd toss in a little thank you for your comments about Jack having a tear in his eye. I noticed that myself some months back, but when I made a comment on another thread, the notion was thoroughly trounced by those who said Jack would never let his emotions out like that. Nice to find out others share my opinion. Thanks.
    That's mentioned in the commentary, I think. I know I've heard or read something about RDA having his foot run over and they just kept filming anyway. I'm glad they kept that scene in. It really works well and illustrates well that Jack does have an emotional side to him even if we don't see it often.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
      I agree that it's very interesting that Jolinar uses the name 'Jack'. Of course, we see in the briefing room that Jolinar's grasp of Sam's memories and knowledge isn't entirely flawless. But it could well be an insight into Sam's mind, that she does think of him as Jack sometimes in the depths there And of course, as later on we see Sam does use Jack's name as a way of pleading with him on a personal level - as in Lost City for example. I'm not sure it indicates any subconscious awareness of Jack's feelings for her - I think that's still some way off, comes in at the end of 3/beginning of 4, IMO (yep, gonna mention that time offworld between Nemesis and Small Victories here ), but could indicate a subconscious awareness of her own feelings.
      The scene that always makes me gasp in disbelief that they didn't catch something wrong with Sam is when Jack tells her she has to go do her physical and Sam punches him in the arm. It's like Jolinar caught wing of the comraderie of the team, but didn't make the connection that there's a degree of separation between Jack and Sam that isn't there with her, Teal'c, and Daniel. Jolinar might know how Sam feels, but doesn't know how Sam will act.
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
        Ohhh, nice catch there! I really love that shot too! It made me squee!
        Yes, the sight of our beautiful blue planet and the shuttle to save our heros!
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
          Jolinar states she knows where Sha're is. A bluff or reliable intelligence from the Tok'ra? Is Jolinar just trying to find some ground with Daniel and try making a deal with the one person who would listen and take the time to argue back?
          Yes, do we ever find out if this is a bluff? I don't think Daniel ever asks Sam to try to remember this, does he? I don't know if the Tok'ra would outright lie to someone who might be an ally, they're just evasive.
          I'm going to guess that Sam felt Jolinars feelings/emotions and I don't think those could have been blocked or were as when Sam meets Martouf she doesn't remember why, but feels an emotion towards him. Sam would have felt Jolinar's anger and frustration at not being able to leave the SGC, and the emotions involved with sacrificing oneself so another can live.
          I agree, it seems like she retains Jolinar's emotions rather than thoughts. I don't know much about psychology but it does seem that emotions are more basic and harder to control than thoughts.
          Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          I've always seen Daniel's hesitance to visit Sam as reaction to Sha're becoming a host. It's a situation that hits quite close to home for him, someone he cares about getting snaked, and so he let work distract him for a long as possible before dealing with it.
          What I also noticed about Daniel in this scene was that, IIRC, he was the only one to directly talk to Sam while she was possessed, Jack and Teal'c were always addressing Jolinar. Which to me suggests he was caught up thinking about Sha're's situation and wants to believe that a host can fully survive a blending.
          Yes, that's a good point and it makes me curious as to why he didn't try to find out later if Sam can recall the information Jolinar said she had about Sha're.
          Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          I see the memories Jolinar gave Sam as something akin to a neural overload. Sam couldn't process them all right away and they have to later be called up because they're buried deeply.
          This makes sense to me. Frankly, I don't think there's anything like it in her experience that would prepare Sam for this, or any way for anyone else to help her. Whatever it is, she's very deeply affected and very much alone.
          If she'd said 'Sir' I'd be more inclined to see it as Sam. Plus, I always find Jolinar's expression right after Jack leaves very calculating, as if a reaction to playing another card, if you see what I mean. It's been argued that Jolinar could well still react like that anyway, because if she did then she let Sam out on purpose, but I still feel it was Jolinar.
          I agree with all of this. Also, when the goauld takes over there's that glowy eye thing, and we didn't see that at all. Ultimately, it may not matter if it was really Sam or Jolinar letting Sam through- either way the emotions we're seeing are Sam's even if they are being mimicked by Jolinar.

I agree that it's very interesting that Jolinar uses the name 'Jack'. Of course, we see in the briefing room that Jolinar's grasp of Sam's memories and knowledge isn't entirely flawless. But it could well be an insight into Sam's mind, that she does think of him as Jack sometimes in the depths there
          Yes. Very interesting. It's interesting that Jolinar picks this way to try to reach Jack- why not say something like "Sir, we don't leave anyone behind and you're leaving me behind- in here." She doesn't do that- whoever it is- either Sam or Jolinar- she's using a more personal approach.
          Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I just thought I'd toss in a little thank you for your comments about Jack having a tear in his eye. I noticed that myself some months back, but when I made a comment on another thread, the notion was thoroughly trounced by those who said Jack would never let his emotions out like that. Nice to find out others share my opinion. Thanks.
          Well, looking at that scene again I don't really see how it can be interpreted any other way, unless Jack has suddenly come down with allergies, too. It may be OOC, but it's there.
          The scene that always makes me gasp in disbelief that they didn't catch something wrong with Sam is when Jack tells her she has to go do her physical and Sam punches him in the arm. It's like Jolinar caught wing of the comraderie of the team, but didn't make the connection that there's a degree of separation between Jack and Sam that isn't there with her, Teal'c, and Daniel. Jolinar might know how Sam feels, but doesn't know how Sam will act.
          Oh, this is a really important thing, and isn't it interesting the way Jack looks at her and the music suddenly becomes kind of ominous? He knows something is up with her, just from that alone. She's too much by-the-book for that.

Also, why does Teal'c refer to Jolinar as "he"? Had he heard of Jolinar as having a male host? I thought Martouf said they'd been together a long time. I assumed that was in their current hosts.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
            Yes, that's a good point and it makes me curious as to why he didn't try to find out later if Sam can recall the information Jolinar said she had about Sha're.
            It made me curious too and unfortunately it never really panned out on the show. But I did find a lovely fic that addressed it, Midnight Confessions by Denise.

http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/drama/midnight.htm (spoilers through Secrets)

This makes sense to me. Frankly, I don't think there's anything like it in her experience that would prepare Sam for this, or any way for anyone else to help her. Whatever it is, she's very deeply affected and very much alone.
            I agree. I think Sam's catanoic state was a combination of mentally dealing with the foreign emotions/memories from Jolinar, her own memories of her possession (threating Cassie, etc), and dealing with the fact that Jolinar died to save her. That would overwhelm anybody, I think.

Also, why does Teal'c refer to Jolinar as "he"? Had he heard of Jolinar as having a male host? I thought Martouf said they'd been together a long time. I assumed that was in their current hosts.
            I chalk that up with Teal'c also referring to Nirrti as 'he' in Singularity, when she later was shown to be female.

sigpic

Comment

It made me wonder if it was supposed to be Sam influencing Jolinar (a la Kendra in Thor's Hammer) but it could just be wishful thinking

Ultimately, it may not matter if it was really Sam or Jolinar letting Sam through- either way the emotions we're seeing are Sam's even if they are being mimicked by Jolinar.

Yes. Very interesting. It's interesting that Jolinar picks this way to try to reach Jack- why not say something like "Sir, we don't leave anyone behind and you're leaving me behind- in here." She doesn't do that- whoever it is- either Sam or Jolinar- she's using a more personal approach.
              I have to say I'm also in the Jolinar camp, but as you say VSS it's more about Jack walking out and Sam being left in the cell even if she wasn't actually the one to talk. It's also about the impact on Jack - he's going to be second guessing if it was Sam or Jolinar and feeling guilty - which would have been what Jolinar was after (even if she did let Sam out, she was trying to get to Jack)

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
              I chalk that up with Teal'c also referring to Nirrti as 'he' in Singularity, when she later was shown to be female.
              I'd always kind of assumed that it was kind of a short hand considering that the goa'uld are asexual anyway, as Martouf says the symbiote doesn't have a gender so it doesn't really matter. Jolinar could have been in a male host - 'she' did just come from one when she was hiding on Nasia (sp?).
              Plus, especially with goa'uld rather than tok'ra, the host is nothing more than a means of survival for the symbiote the gender of the host isn't going to be as important as they don't care about the host.
              sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Well, that was a great discussion about ItLoD!
                We won't be posting anything for Monday, since it's a holiday in the US, so I hope people will feel free to keep commenting on it (or anything else S/J) until next Wednesday. In the mean time, here's the next episode:

Prisoners

Favorite Quote: There are many forms of power, my dear. Some are more subtle than others.
                Favorite Scene: When General Hammond tries to talk to the Taldur and Major Kolvacek is trying to keep him from getting himself in trouble.

Thanks, Achaja!

I like this episode because I do appreciate the kind of insidious, cunning evil that arises from a person like Linea than the obvious antipathy from someone like the goa’uld. She’s just full of surprises. In that way, she’s just like the Aschen, my other favorite bad guys.

The Taldur seem to run a justice system similar to the Code of Hammurabi, which is one of the earliest known here on earth.
                Spoiler:
                The punishment is the same for everything. They also don’t seem to care about intent, which is a much bigger thing for us. Is that surprising? I would think that an advanced civilization would not be so rigid. On the other hand, they were almost wiped out, both by the disease and whatever made that particular island uninhabitable. Maybe they have zero tolerance because they’re desperate?

I think that this is one time that the team really drops the ball on their risk assessment. It’a obvious Linea has power when she shouldn’t- so where does it come from? At several points along the way, they should have thought to ask questions, but they don’t, or accept the pat answers they get from her. Daniel is the only one who seems to have a clue, partly because he is the only one who tends to look exclusively at the broader implications of everything, and this time, the rest of the team can’t see the forest for the trees. Daniel can see the forest, and he doesn’t like what he sees. But Jack dismisses him, and Sam seems distracted, almost charmed by Linea. We see very little of Teal'c- I think he's just busy being the bodyguard.

Why isn’t Jack more suspicious? Is he simply willing to make a deal with the devil- or does he just not care? I think he knows something’s up, but he just wants to get the team home.

Linea says she can’t stay because the team has upset the balance of power, but she should still be at the top, shouldn’t she? I think that she feels threatened by Sam, even though she clearly has more experience with how to manipulate people. I’d like to know what she did to secure her own safety when she arrived. Did her reputation precede her?

I love Hammond going through the gate for the first time! “The things I do for these people.” Indeed! Poor guy was going to retire, and now look what he’s gotten himself into. Is this the first time we're made aware of the existence of a specialty team- SG-9, the diplomatic team?

Carter’s quest for knowledge causes her to overlook the dangers of allowing an obviously highly intelligent alien access to the computer system. You’d think there’d be protocols for things like this. But I think she thinks she’s found a kindred spirit, which of course, is pretty far from the truth.

Linea does have a code of honor, though. She doesn’t kill them all even though she easily could. She does scare the living daylights out of them with the false autodestruct sequence, showing them how powerful she really is.
                And I guess they lose the address to wherever it is she escaped to. I love that last line- “All debts have been paid.” Well, George did say they owed her a great debt. He should have learned not to be so literal after his experience with the Taldur!

Implications for Sam and Jack: None really, Just a great episode, one of the ones that make you think.
                Last edited by VSS; 28 May 2009, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Well, that was a great discussion about ItLoD!
                  We won't be posting anything for Monday, since it's a holiday in the US, so I hope people will feel free to keep commenting on it (or anything else S/J) until next Wednesday. In the mean time, here's the next episode:

Prisoners

Favorite Quote: There are many forms of power, my dear. Some are more subtle than others.
                  Favorite Scene: When General Hammond tries to talk to the Taldur and Major Kolvacek is trying to keep him from getting himself in trouble.

Thanks, Achaja!

I like this episode because I do appreciate the kind of insidious, cunning evil that arises from a person like Linea than the obvious antipathy from someone like the goa’uld. She’s just full of surprises. In that way, she’s just like the Aschen, my other favorite bad guys.

The Taldur seem to run a justice system similar to the Code of Hammurabi, which is one of the earliest known here on earth.
                  Spoiler:
                  The punishment is the same for everything. They also don’t seem to care about intent, which is a much bigger thing for us. Is that surprising? I would think that an advanced civilization would not be so rigid. On the other hand, they were almost wiped out, both by the disease and whatever made that particular island uninhabitable. Maybe they have zero tolerance because they’re desperate?

I think that this is one time that the team really drops the ball on their risk assessment. It’a obvious Linea has power when she shouldn’t- so where does it come from? At several points along the way, they should have thought to ask questions, but they don’t, or accept the pat answers they get from her. Daniel is the only one who seems to have a clue, partly because he is the only one who tends to look exclusively at the broader implications of everything, and this time, the rest of the team can’t see the forest for the trees. Daniel can see the forest, and he doesn’t like what he sees. But Jack dismisses him, and Sam seems distracted, almost charmed by Linea. We see very little of Teal'c- I think he's just busy being the bodyguard.

Why isn’t Jack more suspicious? Is he simply willing to make a deal with the devil- or does he just not care? I think he knows something’s up, but he just wants to get the team home.

Linea says she can’t stay because the team has upset the balance of power, but she should still be at the top, shouldn’t she? I think that she feels threatened by Sam, even though she clearly has more experience with how to manipulate people. I’d like to know what she did to secure her own safety when she arrived. Did her reputation precede her?

I love Hammond going through the gate for the first time! “The things I do for these people.” Indeed! Poor guy was going to retire, and now look what he’s gotten himself into. Is this the first time we're made aware of the existence of a specialty team- SG-9, the diplomatic team?

Carter’s quest for knowledge causes her to overlook the dangers of allowing an obviously highly intelligent alien access to the computer system. You’d think there’d be protocols for things like this. But I think she thinks she’s found a kindred spirit, which of course, is pretty far from the truth.

Linea does have a code of honor, though. She doesn’t kill them all even though she easily could. She does scare the living daylights out of them with the false autodestruct sequence, showing them how powerful she really is.
                  And I guess they lose the address to wherever it is she escaped to. I love that last line- “All debts have been paid.” Well, George did say they owed her a great debt. He should have learned not to be so literal after his experience with the Taldur!

Implications for Sam and Jack: None really, Just a great episode, one of the ones that make you think.
                  I don't think Linea would have gotten so proficient at using the computer so quickly, but that's just my 2 cents...

Comment

Oh that's a very good distinction to make, well done!

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                    I'd always kind of assumed that it was kind of a short hand considering that the goa'uld are asexual anyway, as Martouf says the symbiote doesn't have a gender so it doesn't really matter. Jolinar could have been in a male host - 'she' did just come from one when she was hiding on Nasia (sp?).
                    Plus, especially with goa'uld rather than tok'ra, the host is nothing more than a means of survival for the symbiote the gender of the host isn't going to be as important as they don't care about the host.
                    That was my impression too, that they use 'he' automatically because the Goa'uld don't have genders of their own. Note also the way Jacob refers to Selmak as 'he' whereas Selmak's former host refers to him/her as 'she' - I think therefore the Goa'uld take their concept of gender more from their host than from themselves.

I agree it is interesting that they are so unquestioning of Linea, and I can only put it down to desperation to find a way out too. Jack in particular, with the experience he explicitly alludes to about how prisons work, should really have been far more suspicious. I guess I buy it all the while they're trying to get out of there, but once they're back on Earth I agree it's surprising.

I think this is it - she's pretty much the worst criminal there, and probably in that planet's history. I don't think she'd have had to do much at all to gain the respect or fear of all the other prisoners.

I think this is quite a warning sign for what happens with the Aschen - I hadn't made that connection until reading your post. It's by far from the last time they seem willing to suspend their suspicion in order to gain something - they do it again with the Aschen, and in The Other Side to name just the first two that spring to mind. I'm sure there are other examples too?

I have to say I always found the way Jack sticks close by Sam quite interesting from a shippy perspective here. He's aware that both Sam and Daniel would be perceived as weak by the prisoners, but also he knows full-well that Sam can take care of herself, whereas Daniel is less capable in that respect. And yet he chooses to stick with Sam (even sitting through scientist-talk with her), and entrusts Daniel to Teal'c. I've always got a very strong protective vibe off Jack in this episode towards Sam, and always put it down to the fact that this is so soon after ItLOD, really, and another sign of his growing feelings towards her.
                    sigpic
                    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                      I don't think Linea would have gotten so proficient at using the computer so quickly, but that's just my 2 cents...
                      I hate to admit it, but Linea is probably the only human being we encounter who is smarter than Carter. Sam pretty much admits it in the follow-up episode to this one.

That was my impression too, that they use 'he' automatically because the Goa'uld don't have genders of their own.
                      *puts Carter's feminist chip on shoulder* Then Teal'c should be calling them "it"!

I think this is quite a warning sign for what happens with the Aschen - I hadn't made that connection until reading your post. It's by far from the last time they seem willing to suspend their suspicion in order to gain something - they do it again with the Aschen, and in The Other Side to name just the first two that spring to mind. I'm sure there are other examples too?
                      Not only do they want something from these other civilizations- they're nice and they're just like us- but only superficially. If she'd been a creepy non-human entity, Jack (at least) would have automatically been distrustful.

I have to say I always found the way Jack sticks close by Sam quite interesting from a shippy perspective here. He's aware that both Sam and Daniel would be perceived as weak by the prisoners, but also he knows full-well that Sam can take care of herself, whereas Daniel is less capable in that respect. And yet he chooses to stick with Sam (even sitting through scientist-talk with her), and entrusts Daniel to Teal'c. I've always got a very strong protective vibe off Jack in this episode towards Sam, and always put it down to the fact that this is so soon after ItLOD, really, and another sign of his growing feelings towards her.
                      See, this is why I love doing this rewatch with other people. While I don't know if he's being overly protective, you are right in that he does seem to be more watchful. I think it also has to do with her being female, as if he doesn't quite buy Linea's guarantee of protection. Jack, after all, was indirectly responsible for her being kidnapped in Emacipation. I bet he didn't forget that, either!

Comment

I hate to admit it, but Linea is probably the only human being we encounter who is smarter than Carter. Sam pretty much admits it in the follow-up episode to this one.

*puts Carter's feminist chip on shoulder* Then Teal'c should be calling them "it"!

Not only do they want something from these other civilizations- they're nice and they're just like us- but only superficially. If she'd been a creepy non-human entity, Jack (at least) would have automatically been distrustful.
                        Very true. And I love that Stargate explores this, that through storylines like this they show how easy it is to be lazy and let appearances deceive you, and that the bad guys aren't necessarily over-the-top Cecil B DeMille bad guys with glowing eyes and an unfortunate dress sense, or icky creepy snakey things.

See, this is why I love doing this rewatch with other people. While I don't know if he's being overly protective, you are right in that he does seem to be more watchful. I think it also has to do with her being female, as if he doesn't quite buy Linea's guarantee of protection. Jack, after all, was indirectly responsible for her being kidnapped in Emacipation. I bet he didn't forget that, either!
                        It's great isn't it, getting the other perspectives? I think it is partly to do with her being female and what happened in Emancipation, absolutely, but equally Jack should know from Emancipation that Sam is perfectly capable of looking after herself physically. So I do find his choice to protect Sam over Daniel interesting from this point of view. And that Sam accepts it, too, actually. She's probably also feeling more vulnerable following her experience with Jolinar, and maybe Jack's watchfulness over her is his way of showing support, and her acceptance her way of signalling that she understands and appreciates it.
                        sigpic

Comment

One of the things that made me a littl nutty at the beginning of the show this time around, was that when Vishnu (?) grabs Sam, the team doesn't look like they were trying too hard to get to her. Their stance seems too relaxed to me. Yes, they know Sam can take care of herself, but still!

I thought it was interesting too about Jack sticking with Sam. Usually it seems as if Jack will take off with Teal'c or Daniel, but not this time. My first thought was how soon was this after ItLoD? At the beginning of the episode, Sam seems very reserved, not a whole lot of animation. It seems like she starts to be like herself again in talking science with Linea. (I haven't finished watching the show yet, so will comment more later.)
                          sigpic
                          Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

One of the things that made me a littl nutty at the beginning of the show this time around, was that when Vishnu (?) grabs Sam, the team doesn't look like they were trying too hard to get to her. Their stance seems too relaxed to me. Yes, they know Sam can take care of herself, but still!
                            This is a very interesting point. Perhaps it's because they know that she might become separated from the team at some point and the rest of the denizens need to see Sam take down Vishnu so they'll leave her alone.

I thought it was interesting too about Jack sticking with Sam. Usually it seems as if Jack will take off with Teal'c or Daniel, but not this time. My first thought was how soon was this after ItLoD? At the beginning of the episode, Sam seems very reserved, not a whole lot of animation. It seems like she starts to be like herself again in talking science with Linea. (I haven't finished watching the show yet, so will comment more later.)
                            Alright, you and Josi just about have me convinced. Although, don't you think Sam+Jack is about equal in strength to Daniel+Teal'c in this instance? Daniel still isn't much of a military man at this point, though he's making a lot of progress as Serpent's Lair demonstrates.

Comment

This is a very interesting point. Perhaps it's because they know that she might become separated from the team at some point and the rest of the denizens need to see Sam take down Vishnu so they'll leave her alone.

Alright, you and Josi just about have me convinced. Although, don't you think Sam+Jack is about equal in strength to Daniel+Teal'c in this instance? Daniel still isn't much of a military man at this point, though he's making a lot of progress as Serpent's Lair demonstrates.
                              Oh yes. I don't think it's about the equality of strength - really Jack was always going to split up the team with either himself or Teal'c there to look intimidating and thus protect Sam and Daniel, who would be seen as the weak ones. In which case what's interesting is not so much that Jack feels Sam should be protected, but that he chooses to do it himself, almost like he doesn't want to let her out of his sight. Not that he doesn't trust Teal'c to protect her, or that he isn't concerned about Daniel, but that when it comes down to the choice that's the way he goes. If that makes sense
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh yes. I don't think it's about the equality of strength - really Jack was always going to split up the team with either himself or Teal'c there to look intimidating and thus protect Sam and Daniel, who would be seen as the weak ones. In which case what's interesting is not so much that Jack feels Sam should be protected, but that he chooses to do it himself, almost like he doesn't want to let her out of his sight. Not that he doesn't trust Teal'c to protect her, or that he isn't concerned about Daniel, but that when it comes down to the choice that's the way he goes. If that makes sense
                                Hmm. If I could undertake a Random Six-Watching observation, I'd do it. But, as it is, I'm limiting myself to the Random Seating Arrangement observation. So I'll just have to take your word for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X