Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSS View Post
    When would that have been? Try as I might, I can't come up with any episode where that would have been appropriate, except BD, and they did that. Their relationship was nowhere near that point in this season, i think. In Solitudes, maybe?
    I thought it was said about "There but for the Grace of God", originally AU Sam and Jack were supposed to kiss, but that didn't work. So they made AU Sam a civilian. There was a little kiss while they were hugging. Maybe I've got things mixed up, but that's what I knew.
    sigpic

Comment

Implications for Sam and Jack: This episode drives home the point that each of the team members is valuable in his own way. Maybe they’ll never really figure out how it happened, but in their reality earth is spared. Do they think it’s fate or random chance or divine intervention? Who knows. But I can’t help thinking that Sam and Jack will think back on this event and wonder if their own choice is between saving the world and being together. It’d make me wonder, and also never to want to take the chance. Different fans have surmised that it's not just about the regs- and I agree. But I'm of the opinion that it also has to do with what they've seen happen in these AUs.

Including The Road Not Taken, where Sam married the wrong man, and Continuum where Jack stayed married to the wrong woman and The Ripple Effect where they apparently got it right. Evidently, Jack and Sam being together after Season 8 is just as important as not being together in Seasons 1-8, at least in my little world.
      Oh good catch, that's very interesting! I've been wondering about the difference in a lot of the AUs that we've seen post S8, and how Sam and Jack don't always seem to be together. I like the way you think here

Totally with you on the NASA fangirling here - I love that the Shuttle comes and rescues them I do think the earlier SG eps where we didn't have so much technology to rely on had a special something, it was much more about us fighting it out on our ingenuity and determination rather than having swanky ships and fancy technology to help us. I miss those days
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
        For me, Season 1 was more about the team. Yes, there were hints of Sam/Jack, but it was very subtle, and while there was a definite spark from the beginning, S1 was more about them learning to trust and respect each other as well as Daniel and Teal'c, and all 4 of them becoming a team.

I think Jack and Teal'c got the most growth, followed by Daniel, and then Sam. Thankfully in S2, the character of Sam gained a great deal of development.
        I agree on all points, season 1 was very much about the team coming together to me. Before COTG only Jack and Daniel had any sort of relationship, but by the finale you saw bonds forming between Jack and Teal'c, Daniel and Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, and Jack and Sam. I think only Sam and Teal'c got the short end, though they had some nice, understated moments in COTG, CL, and Hathor.

Do you think they tried to fit her into the typical female role? I do, and it didn't work out so well. I agree she got the short end.
        I think they did try to write Sam into a typical female role, considering the Sam-focused eps like Emancipation, Hathor, and Singularity did put significant emphasis on her gender. I think Solitudes perhaps showed the writers she could be more than that, since really aside from the sidearm line and pretending to be Sara, there wasn't much emphasis on Sam being a woman in that episode.

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
        I thought it was said about "There but for the Grace of God", originally AU Sam and Jack were supposed to kiss, but that didn't work. So they made AU Sam a civilian. There was a little kiss while they were hugging. Maybe I've got things mixed up, but that's what I knew.
        You're right, RCC talked about that at the Continuum Comic-con panel I believe. They wanted the AU Sam and Jack to kiss, but the AF insisted that they couldn't, even though Jack was going off to his death. Then the writers said, well what if we make Sam a civilian, and the AF was ok with that.

But then on the day of shooting, I think I read somewhere that AT and RDA both decided that a hug would be better than a kiss, 'less is more' and all that. Though I also remember AT joking on the Continuum panel about why make Sam a civilian if they weren't going to kiss.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        Totally with you on the NASA fangirling here - I love that the Shuttle comes and rescues them I do think the earlier SG eps where we didn't have so much technology to rely on had a special something, it was much more about us fighting it out on our ingenuity and determination rather than having swanky ships and fancy technology to help us. I miss those days
        Me three on the NASA fangirling! I was one of those silly girls who collected Apollo rocket and space shuttle models instead of barbie dolls.

I too miss the older episodes when techno-fixs and super Ancient weapons weren't so easy to come by.

sigpic

Comment

Oh good catch, that's very interesting! I've been wondering about the difference in a lot of the AUs that we've seen post S8, and how Sam and Jack don't always seem to be together. I like the way you think here
          This is quite possibly the best thing I ever did with that nearly-worthless philosophy degree.

Did you ever wonder why, in all these AU's, there wasn't really any doubt what was going on between Sam and Jack? That was never up in the air, it was always reasonably well-defined. Throughout the series, all of the AUs give us an idea of the status of our Sam and Jack at that point in time. In the past, they had to be apart, but now, they have to be together.

Early on, the causal link was evident- they have to be apart or they wouldn't be on the same team and if SG-1 was not the same the world would perish. It's the same in TbftGoG, PoV.

But after season 8, all those AUs that are doomed have Jack and Sam separate. That's what we saw in TRnT and Continuum and 2010. Remember, that last episode is more or less right now, not back in season 4. They were supposed to have been together by 2010, and they weren't.

And the only realities that seem to be fine are this one, and the AUs from RE, which, even if we didn't get the giant hint that the mystery man was Jack, JM said he was in his blog last year.

The causal link now isn't so obvious- we can't say why the two of them having worked things out is important to the fate of the world- it could be a result and not a cause at all. But it is what it is. Sam and Jack being apart in the beginning and being together now is fate.

Even if you don't want to believe in fate, you can believe in quantum physics. The best option is the only option- the only AU's that remain are the ones in which things worked out as they have, with Jack and Sam together.
          Last edited by VSS; 18 May 2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: changed a word- thanks Silly Sally!

Comment

This is quite possibly the best thing I ever did with that nearly-worthless philosophy degree.

Did you ever wonder why, in all these AU's, there wasn't really any doubt what was going on between Sam and Jack? That was never up in the air, it was always reasonably well-defined. Throughout the series, all of the AUs give us an idea of the status of our Sam and Jack at that point in time. In the past, they had to be apart, but now, they have to be together.

Early on, the causal link was evident- they have to be apart or they wouldn't be on the same team and if SG-1 was not the same the world would perish. It's the same in TbftGoG, PoV.

But after season 8, all those AUs that are doomed have Jack and Sam separate. That's what we saw in TRnT and Continuum and 2010. Remember, that last episode is more or less right now, not back in season 4. They were supposed to have been together by 2010, and they weren't.

And the only realities that seem to be fine are this one, and the AUs from RE, which, even if we didn't get the giant hint that the mystery man was Jack, JM said he was in his blog last year.

The causal link now isn't so obvious- we can't say why the two of them having worked things out is important to the fate of the universe- it could be a result and not a cause at all. But it is what it is. Sam and Jack being apart in the beginning and being together now is fate.

Even if you don't want to believe in fate, you can believe in quantum physics. The best option is the only option- the only AU's that remain are the ones in which things worked out as they have, with Jack and Sam together.
            This makes me
            sigpic

Comment

The causal link now isn't so obvious- we can't say why the two of them having worked things out is important to the fate of the universe- it could be a result and not a cause at all. But it is what it is. Sam and Jack being apart in the beginning and being together now is fate.

Even if you don't want to believe in fate, you can believe in quantum physics. The best option is the only option- the only AU's that remain are the ones in which things worked out as they have, with Jack and Sam together. As far as we know, the other ones ended in disaster.
              By that reasoning and taking into account SGA's episode "The Last Man", our Sam and Jack didn't get together after Threads and possibly only got together after Sam completed her assignment on Atlantis...

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                By that reasoning and taking into account SGA's episode "The Last Man", our Sam and Jack didn't get together after Threads and possibly only got together after Sam completed her assignment on Atlantis...
                No, that wasn't the end of the world, that was the end of Atlantis. Our galaxy was just fine.
                Also, I never said Sam couldn't get killed, only that they'd be together.

So, my point still stands. In that reality, they were together (because it diverged from ours) and the world didn't end in disaster. I guess I was too broad in my original argument, but I don't really think that the entire fate of the universe hangs on what Sam and Jack do (that wouldn't even be logical), only our little corner of it. So thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: Which kind of makes sense because we don't really know why Jack and Sam have to be together now. The causal link isn't clear, and it certainly is going to be that much less clear in another galaxy! So I'd expect there to be much less of an effect there than here, no matter what, that's just physics.
                Last edited by VSS; 18 May 2009, 02:04 PM. Reason: clarification.

Comment

[]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/VSS_photos/rewatch/sg1shipperrewatchTSL.jpg[/IMG]
                  Banner by Rose!

I’m not sure why Hammond was so irritated with Samuels the entire time. Sure, his idea wasn’t going to work, but neither was Hammond’s. I guess Samuels is just annoying.
                  Because he is a arrogant but cowardly butt snorkeling sycophant.
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                    Because he is a arrogant but cowardly butt snorkeling sycophant.
                    But it is usually career suicide to call whomever is the Pentagon's favorite son what he really is.
                    sigpic
                    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                      But it is usually career suicide to call whomever is the Pentagon's favorite son what he really is.
                      I did love the moment when Hammond told Samuels that they were only sending the best and brightest through to the Alpha site, and therefore he couldn't go. I guess since they were all going to die, might as well be honest.

Although "butt snorkeling sycophant" would have been much better.

Comment

I loved the shuttle too, I wonder if it kinda makes up for the line at the beginning where Daniel and Jack say that all we have is shuttles. Sort of like, although they're *only* shuttles they save our lives and shows how useful completely human technology can be
                        sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                          I loved the shuttle too, I wonder if it kinda makes up for the line at the beginning where Daniel and Jack say that all we have is shuttles. Sort of like, although they're *only* shuttles they save our lives and shows how useful completely human technology can be
                          Ohhh, nice catch there! I really love that shot too! It made me squee!
                          sigpic
                          Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                            Ohhh, nice catch there! I really love that shot too! It made me squee!
                            Yes I agree- great point, Aveo!
                            I think as time goes by the team becomes more aware that there's a lot to be said for our primitive tech. Next up- projectile-based weaponry!

After all, it's how they use it that's important. Like the grenade scene with Bra'tac. Sometimes just blowing stuff up is the most effective thing to do. (That scene with Jack and Bra'tac kind of reminded me of that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones brings his gun to a knife fight. )

Edit:
                            Also, what kind of a woman squees over a space shuttle? Evidently, the kind that watch Stargate!
                            Last edited by VSS; 20 May 2009, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I think as time goes by the team becomes more aware that there's a lot to be said for our primitive tech. Next up- projectile-based weaponry!

After all, it's how they use it that's important. Like the grenade scene with Bra'tac. Sometimes just blowing stuff up is the most effective thing to do. (That scene with Jack and Bra'tac kind of reminded me of that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones brings his gun to a knife fight. )

Edit:
                              Also, what kind of a woman squees over a space shuttle? Evidently, the kind that watch Stargate!
                              Agreed
                              On both points!
                              sigpic

Comment

Edit:
                                I love grenades! Just make that explosions. If I could change what I did for a living, I'd want to workd with explosives for movies.

And for the squeeing? I'm told I'm a scifi nut case almost every day.

I think one of my favorite scenes in The Serpeant's Lair is the when Daniel stays behind to cover the rest of the team. He knows he's done for, and decides to stay behind so they can get away! That cute spacemonkey!
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X