Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    I got that exact impression when she was playing the Cello as well. She was sad and thinking of Jack.
    Exactly - plus, she was single mindedly focused on getting them out of their predicament. It's honestly not that hard to shut down your sex drive if other issues weigh heavily on you. Conversely, I appreciated Cam's blowout in the episode and I've never been a fan of him before then. Still, Daniel and Vala had each other, Sam and Teal'c had their long bonded friendship plus Sam was driven to find a solution. Cam had nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
      But... didn't one of the TPTB say they really didn't plan it until they saw them together in Out of Mind? To which I always think, "Yeah, right!"

As for Jonas, he might be a little older than Sam- and then there is the reddish-brown hair- so hmm. A type? That would explain why Pete was doomed from the start, and Agent Barrett could definitely have been more of a threat.
      They might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...

And yeah, it's less strikingly obvious physically than Sara/Sam, but add it to the whole black ops lunatic fringe thing and I reckon they were hinting at the exact same parallel... so *cough* yes, Out of Mind, of course

Seriously, the beauty of a lot of the early shippy things like this is that they are that subtle, planting the idea in viewers' heads so that when they do something more obvious it rings true.
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        They might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...

And yeah, it's less strikingly obvious physically than Sara/Sam, but add it to the whole black ops lunatic fringe thing and I reckon they were hinting at the exact same parallel... so *cough* yes, Out of Mind, of course

Seriously, the beauty of a lot of the early shippy things like this is that they are that subtle, planting the idea in viewers' heads so that when they do something more obvious it rings true.
        Yeah, not to skip ahead, but I just watched Cold Lazarus and about the only thing they missed was having Sara wearing green camo. She even tinkers with machines, FCOL!

Comment

But... didn't one of the TPTB say they really didn't plan it until they saw them together in Out of Mind? To which I always think, "Yeah, right!"
          I'm so glad you brought that up! I 'bought' TPTB's commentary the first time but when I went back and rewatched this episode, it dawned on me that something was 'up' with these two from the get go. Yes, alot of it is chemistry BUT a deliberate edit choice like that one is made by the director and producers. I would've loved to have been in the room when they were editing that scene!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalred93 View Post
            I'm so glad you brought that up! I 'bought' TPTB's commentary the first time but when I went back and rewatched this episode, it dawned on me that something was 'up' with these two from the get go. Yes, alot of it is chemistry BUT a deliberate edit choice like that one is made by the director and producers. I would've loved to have been in the room when they were editing that scene!
            You know, watching all of these early eps again makes me realize what a well-planned story arc this is and it gives me faith that they're not going to let all that effort go to waste, nor are they going to screw it up with some half-a**** ending.

Comment

Spoiler:
              Well, they don't make lace (or tablecloths) like they used to! I've inherited a lot of it and had to search high and low- and pay a lot of money- to find anything new that even came close to matching the quality. But, the costumes I saw were not from the prequels, sadly. There was a great explanation of Obi-wan's robe- why they deliberately made it look very monk-like, etc. Also, Luke's orange flightsuit, Han's ensemble, etc. It was very cool. Who knew there was that much psychology in the wardrobe department?

<snip>

Yeah, that wouldn't have been a cure, it would have been like pouring gasoline on a fire!

<snip>
              Spoiler:
              Well, Leia's Cloud City outfit is made from drapes. lol

Yeah, I was 17 or 18 at the time. Raging hormones and all. Plus I didn't know it was one of the first episodes when I saw it.
              Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

As for Jonas, he might be a little older than Sam- and then there is the reddish-brown hair- so hmm. A type? That would explain why Pete was doomed from the start, and Agent Barrett could definitely have been more of a threat.
                It wasn't Out of Mind. It was Solitudes, I think. In the commentary for Out of Mind, the director talks about the tension between Jack and Sam and that RDA had come up to him and asked if he wanted the moment where Jack wakes up Sam to be one of those 'subtle' moments. The director says yes with a great amount of enthusiasm.

Remember, before Amanda was even HIRED, they stood her next to RDA to see how they looked together.

The ship may not have been planned from the very start, but it had to be in the back of their minds as a possibility.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                  Yep I love this about the ship, it really shows how organic and subtle it is *right* from the beginning (ok the I like women may have been slightly more obvious)

on the Jonas thing, I think he's probably *about* the same age as Sam but maybe upto a few years (3/4 max) older. But yeah I imagine they met as younger Captains possibly at the pentagon or something.

I have a question about Sam and Special Forces but it'll wait til the Nox when it really comes up
                  sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

It wasn't Out of Mind. It was Solitudes, I think. In the commentary for Out of Mind, the director talks about the tension between Jack and Sam and that RDA had come up to him and asked if he wanted the moment where Jack wakes up Sam to be one of those 'subtle' moments. The director says yes with a great amount of enthusiasm.

Remember, before Amanda was even HIRED, they stood her next to RDA to see how they looked together.

The ship may not have been planned from the very start, but it had to be in the back of their minds as a possibility.
                    I'm sure you're right. I'm kind of lukewarm on the commentaries. In general, I don't listen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                      Excellent post! Yes, black ops is slang for missions that need plausible deniability. And I also find it weird every time that Hansen is a Captain. Don't they mention later that an SG team leader needs to be at least a Major? (or did I read that in a fanfic? ) Because if Hansen had been demoted to Captain, then he wouldn't have been eligible to be an SG team leader anyway.

As for avoiding the implication she could have been dating someone who could have been her CO, maybe. I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. She had dated him at least a year prior, but they could have been the same rank at the same time and then he was promoted. But would that have even mattered if they didn't work together? If TPTB were going this route, it seems very complicated.
                      Yeah, I think I remember hearing that too. Captian is a low rank to be leading a team.

I remember hearing that about the "accidental ship". But it had to be in thier minds somewhere. I mean you through to single people of the opposite sex into those situations and they are bound to form a tight bond at the very least.
                      Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                        I'm with you on this, I liked the fact it showed some of Sam's backstory, we'd already had some for Daniel and Jack and a tiny bit for Teal'c (obviously not as much until bloodlines) and this was Sam's turn, I didn't have a problem with it being cliche - I mean it has to happen sometimes for it to be a cliche right? I liked that she was engaged to Jonas, it showed she wasn't a 2D workaholic and never realised there were other people in the world - even if it didn't work out. In fact more because it didn't work out tbh

See I was "lucky" in that sense that I came in mid-series (about 4/5) so I already liked Sam when I first saw this ep. It probably changed my view of this ep quite considerably really..
                        I too am in a similar boat. My first ep was Entity and didn't get to season one for about two seasons. By the time I got to season 1 I really enjoyed the character of Sam.

I do like that they give Sam some backstory in First Commandment. Yes, it's an ex-fiance backstory, but it gives some insight into her background. She's had a relationship, a serious one, that went sour. From the way she acts/talks, I think that she was put in a 'bad' situation with Jonas, but has shown that despite personal issues is able to do her job and work with the guy on base. Ever worked with an ex? I have and it wasn't fun.

I'm sure you're right. I'm kind of lukewarm on the commentaries. In general, I don't listen to them.
                        I'm a commentary freak. I just love listening to them. One of my faves is from Farscape

OT but applies to SG-1 in a looong round about way

Spoiler:
                        The Locket commentary from season 2 of Farscape was recorded shortly after Claudia guest starred on Prometheus Unbound. Ben Browder is giving her a hard time about acting with Micheal Shanks. The Farscape ep has both CB and BB in 'old' makeup and Ben brings up, to tease Claudia, how she and Micheal would look both in 'old' makeup and how he (Ben) would be pushed aside. Who knew that several years later they would! lol.

Originally posted by Padme18 View Post
                        Yeah, I think I remember hearing that too. Captian is a low rank to be leading a team.

I remember hearing that about the "accidental ship". But it had to be in thier minds somewhere. I mean you through to single people of the opposite sex into those situations and they are bound to form a tight bond at the very least.
                        I heard it was "accidental" too. I remember hearing in an interview or something that when the show was conceived, they neeeded a female on the team to 'balance' it out and help draw female viewers. (coz RDA alone wasn't enough ) TPTB knew that there would be a potential storyline in there with a female on the team, and intended on writing one (possibly Solitudes?) and it just went from there. I think a lot of the early 'ship' we see is just the actors adding bits in, and overall acting very well together.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                          I'm sorry, but I can't accept Sam/Teal'c in Unending if Sam got together with Jack post Threads, and not because of Sam. Don't hate me, but I've always felt Sam was the least 'loyal' of the two, so if Sam and Jack were together before "Unending" I just can't see Teal'c betraying Jack's trust even if Sam would shamelessly throw herself at him. However if Sam and Jack were not together before "Unending" I can't find a single reason why Teal'c wouldn't want to try to get together with her after he loved her for 50 years...
                          sam/teal'c didn't happen. if you didn't see it on screen, it didn't happen. it's that simple (even though i freaked when i heard certain ideas).

sam/mitchell didn't happen either. if you didn't see it on screen, it didn't happen.

try to let this go, sillysally. if you can't, though, copious amounts of caffeine, chocolate, and smutty fics will help the hurt.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

here's something amanda said at the vancouver con -

http://stargate-sg1 solutions.com/features/creation_vancouver_09.shtml#amanda

During the filming of Unending, Chris and Amanda decided there was an extra connection between the two of them that would play out after Landry died of old age, when they met and hugged in the hallway. In rehearsals it worked great: Carter sat with Landry as he died then stepped into the hallway to be comforted by Teal'c. So they went to shoot the scene, with Landry dying and Carter crying, when the door opened, there was Chris standing there in nothing but a leather thong with the SG-1 logo on the front. She was so shocked she couldn't even look at him. She just kept covering her eyes. It was very funny.

~~~

does this help, sillysally? it helps me.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18 View Post

whatever they writers had in mind from the beginning, they sure showed their hand when in the fourth ep of the entire series, they had sam jump jack in the locker room. sounds like *ship* to me!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                whatever they writers had in mind from the beginning, they sure showed their hand when in the fourth ep of the entire series, they had sam jump jack in the locker room. sounds like *ship* to me!
                                Nope, only happy resolution (BHK, maybe a bedroom scene ) in the 3rd movie will help!

Comment

Working...
                                X