Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the review Ramona!

About Teal'c dispensing parenting advice - I was thinking it was weird too. (transcript in spoilers)

Spoiler:

LEVINSON : I find out from his college room-mate, cause…TOMMY and me hadn’t been talking for something like six months before they sucked him in.

TEAL’C : I do not understand. How could a father not speak to his son for so long a time?

JACOB appears uncomfortable at the question.

LEVINSON : That’s the funny thing about it, I don’t even remember why. Obviously something pretty stupid in the scheme of things. I’ll get out of your hair.

He leaves the tent.

TEAL’C : Do human parents not love their children unconditionally?

JACOB : Sometimes, things get complicated.

TEAL’C : Many things are complicated General CARTER. In Jaffa society, loving ones children is not one of them.

The second part is about LOVING one's son, which Teal'c clearly does and I have no problems with but the first part about not speaking to the son gave me some pause

My personal reasoning (to make it all work in my mind, because I did find the storyline a bit forced... ) was that it seemed to Teal'c it would have been easy for Tommy's father to speak to him and he wondered why, if it was as "easy" as picking up the phone, the father did not. Teal'c would have loved to be able to speak to his son more frequently but knew that he would endanger them and so out of that he did not.

I guess I'm saying the question is more like "how could a father not speak to his song for so long a time - when there are not physical circumstances that permit it", at least, from Teal'c's point of view.

As for Jack calling Jacob "Dad" - I think he does it at the beginning of some other episode. Right in the Gateroom I think. I'm pretty sure but I can't recall the ep! He's speaking to Jacob though.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
      Thanks for the review Ramona!

About Teal'c dispensing parenting advice - I was thinking it was weird too. (transcript in spoilers)

Spoiler:

LEVINSON : I find out from his college room-mate, cause…TOMMY and me hadn’t been talking for something like six months before they sucked him in.

TEAL’C : I do not understand. How could a father not speak to his son for so long a time?

JACOB appears uncomfortable at the question.

LEVINSON : That’s the funny thing about it, I don’t even remember why. Obviously something pretty stupid in the scheme of things. I’ll get out of your hair.

He leaves the tent.

TEAL’C : Do human parents not love their children unconditionally?

JACOB : Sometimes, things get complicated.

TEAL’C : Many things are complicated General CARTER. In Jaffa society, loving ones children is not one of them.

The second part is about LOVING one's son, which Teal'c clearly does and I have no problems with but the first part about not speaking to the son gave me some pause

My personal reasoning (to make it all work in my mind, because I did find the storyline a bit forced... ) was that it seemed to Teal'c it would have been easy for Tommy's father to speak to him and he wondered why, if it was as "easy" as picking up the phone, the father did not. Teal'c would have loved to be able to speak to his son more frequently but knew that he would endanger them and so out of that he did not.

I guess I'm saying the question is more like "how could a father not speak to his song for so long a time - when there are not physical circumstances that permit it", at least, from Teal'c's point of view.

As for Jack calling Jacob "Dad" - I think he does it at the beginning of some other episode. Right in the Gateroom I think. I'm pretty sure but I can't recall the ep! He's speaking to Jacob though.
      Tried to GREEN your analysis of Teal'c. Could not . (Just great! Now the stupid ipad screen won't let me choose the green font either! *grumble*

And while I know Jack is stuck in the late '50's early '60's giving the "Dad" the same equivalency of calling Jacob "Mr. C", I prefer to think of it as his sneaking in an intimacy with Sam, the way boy/girlfriends do when referring to their SO's parents.
      sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
        Jack only calls jacob "Dad" one other time and that's in jolinar's memories. He says "maybe it's "Dad" and Sam just smiles and says "maybe"
        In the other one ("Seth", I think), Sam makes a comment about "Dad". So Jack turns to Jacob and says "Dad?" And Jacob acted as though he hadn't even noticed; methinks he kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
          On to more shippy things.

Is this the first time Jack calls Jacob "Dad"?

I totally get the whole Wizard of Oz thing now.

Jack = Scarecrow (brilliant but not too bright)
          Daniel = Tinman (heart has compassion for everyone yet his has been torn out, being possesed by Apophis)
          Teal'c = (Afraid of nothing yet terrified he will not succeed and win freedom for his people)
          Dorothy = Sam (Of course. The center hub around whom everyone else revolves

Aunt Em and Uncle Henry = Janet and Gen. Hammond (NOT saying they're a couple!)

I'm sure you guys can label them better and I'd love to see it. Although, if I know this thread, it's probably been done before in the archives.
          I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            In the other one ("Seth", I think), Sam makes a comment about "Dad". So Jack turns to Jacob and says "Dad?" And Jacob acted as though he hadn't even noticed; methinks he kinda liked it.
            I wonder if they meant the significance of the line "No, you have to marry her (Sam) first!" When Pete called him "Dad" in Threads. With Jack calling Jacob "Dad" so few times, I wonder if the writers meant it to sound like Jacob only objected to Pete, not Jack, calling him Dad or if they forgot and just put it in because they thought it was funny/awkward?
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Re:the Wizard of Oz stuff, they totally ruined it in "200", Rob Cooper changed it because it was how he saw it - hang on, I thought it was supposed to be a tribute to the *fandom* and we certainly never mentioned the newbies in that context.

Sam and Jack have always been Dorothy and Scarecrow, Jack himself calls Sam "Dorothy" in Seth. Sorry, it just makes me angry.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                I wonder if they meant the significance of the line "No, you have to marry her (Sam) first!" When Pete called him "Dad" in Threads. With Jack calling Jacob "Dad" so few times, I wonder if the writers meant it to sound like Jacob only objected to Pete, not Jack, calling him Dad or if they forgot and just put it in because they thought it was funny/awkward?
                Haha! Because I never rewatched the later seasons the way I did the early ones, and the fact that I try to pretend Pete didn't happen -- so thanks for reminding me of that scene. It also puts something else in perspective or me. It means Jacob's disapproval of Pete and approval of Jack accounts for what I always thought of as out of character for Jacob when he embarrasses Sam by pushing the issue about wedding plans/picking out flowers during the briefing with her commanding officer.

Comment

Haha! Because I never rewatched the later seasons the way I did the early ones, and the fact that I try to pretend Pete didn't happen -- so thanks for reminding me of that scene. It also puts something else in perspective or me. It means Jacob's disapproval of Pete and approval of Jack accounts for what I always thought of as out of character for Jacob when he embarrasses Sam by pushing the issue about wedding plans/picking out flowers during the briefing with her commanding officer.
                  I just put that down to the fact that he was dying and time was running out. Nothing like bashing their heads together figuratively. Apparently there was a Jack/Jacob scene written although I'm not sure it was ever filmed so I'd be curious to know what was said. Given that it was deleted, I would suspect that Jacob told Jack not to let the rules get in the way too and TPTB felt that maybe it was too obvious to include for the non-shippers.

Comment

SETH
                    Stargate SG1 Season 3; Episode 2

The rest of the team is already entering the compound wearing inner ear hearing aids modified by Sam to emit a slight electrical shock to their bodies once Jacob and Teal’c decide it’s time to wake the team up from whatever hocus pocus Seth uses on them. One catch though, Jacob says the nishta must be allowed to penetrate every part of their bodies. If it is not allowed to run it’s course through the body, it will hide in the unaffected cells and reassert itself even stronger – so as to be permanent!
                    I always get a chuckle out of the ear piece bit. Seems as though Sam deliberately didn't put hers in until after she tested the devices and she didn't get shocked like Jack and Daniel did.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      I always get a chuckle out of the ear piece bit. Seems as though Sam deliberately didn't put hers in until after she tested the devices and she didn't get shocked like Jack and Daniel did.
                      I noticed that too. haha! and we get a slight glimpse of nerdy (Moebius) Sam in her facial expression as she puts the piece in her ear.

Comment

I noticed that too. haha! and we get a slight glimpse of nerdy (Moebius) Sam in her facial expression as she puts the piece in her ear.
                        Yeah, I thought that was funny, too. And how did they think an electric shock was going to feel? lol

Comment

Great review, Ramona! Don't worry about the length-- better too much than not enough, I always say. Especially in terms of discussing ship.

I concur with many of your points.

You know, I always wondered why Jack was so insensitive to Sam's obvious distress after she kills Seth. I mean, at this point, he's had that conversation with Sam in First Commandment about should've/shouldn't have killed Jonas. So here, she's standing in shock, staring at the crumpled body of her victim, and all he comes out with is "Hail Dorothy"?

I do like the idea of Sam being Dorothy, and in another context it might have been affectionate and teasing, but here it just strikes me as callous and out of character for Jack. If anything, I'd have preferred to see a scene of them talking it out later, than a shot of Sam and Jacob visiting Mark.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Comment

I have to agree. That's something I've always thought about/wondered about: why would he make that almost snide comment when she's so obviously upset? Although, it could be that he's just as shocked as she is, so he automatically reverted back to his coping mechanism of choice, sarcasm.
                            Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                              Great review, Ramona! Don't worry about the length-- better too much than not enough, I always say. Especially in terms of discussing ship.

I concur with many of your points.

You know, I always wondered why Jack was so insensitive to Sam's obvious distress after she kills Seth. I mean, at this point, he's had that conversation with Sam in First Commandment about should've/shouldn't have killed Jonas. So here, she's standing in shock, staring at the crumpled body of her victim, and all he comes out with is "Hail Dorothy"?

I do like the idea of Sam being Dorothy, and in another context it might have been affectionate and teasing, but here it just strikes me as callous and out of character for Jack. If anything, I'd have preferred to see a scene of them talking it out later, than a shot of Sam and Jacob visiting Mark.

What are your guys' thoughts?
                              Thanks, Selene. He struck me as being in almost as much shock as she was. Even the "Hail Dorothy" is not said in an arm raising victory type of way but more like What's going on with Carter? Is she compromised? Still got gou'ald tendencies? Will this eventually take her over? I hate anything to do with the snakeheads. Can't stand the idea of being close to one of 'em. But, hey, this is Carter we're talking about. Even if she has leftover goa'uld power, she would never use it or evil. It could up the scales in our favor. Yeah, ok, I'm good. And then the awestruck "Hail Dorothy."

I picture all of that going through his head in those 3 seconds they showed his reaction.

Also, it's not the first time he's compared them to the Wizard of Oz. So I take it as the team having an ongoing inside joke. Considering hs own trepidation and awe, the fact that they're in the field, her father is there with them - perhaps he knew it was an appropriate reminder for her that we're a team, Sam, no matter what and you just landed your house on the Wicked Witch so it's all good.. As to her killing someone - and a gou'ld at that - they're beyond that now. How many people/gou'ld/jaffa has she killed since The First Commandment? I think this was more shock on Sam's part at the strength of the uncontrolled power not only because she killed Seth. She may have intended to render him unconscious but I'm sure the through-the-concrete thing is what added even more shock because I'm sure, as a soldier that carries lethal weapons, she knows there will be times she only wanted to disable a combatant but has no choice but to kill them. I wish TPTB had at least addressed it with something like "she can't control it so could be a danger to her team" or "Sam's own conscience says I will only kill when I make the decision, not because somethingis out of my control."
                              Last edited by RamonaThePest; 29 May 2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

So busy I haven't even had time to read the thread lately.

I have a review coming up soon don't I?

Could someone post the S3 schedule again please?

Comment

Working...
                                X