Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summary
    While trying to find the Tok'ra, SG-1 witnesses the crash of a Death Glider piloted by Apophis. After demanding sanctuary from the Tau'ri, they take him back to Earth. Due to his injuries as well as the pain and suffering he caused others, the team finds it difficult to save his life. Worse, an enemy named Sokar demands Apophis from them.

Favorite Scene
    I have a couple of favorite scenes. 1 of them are two different discussions scenes between SG-1 and Hammond and Fraiser about what to do with apophis, and when the tok'ra come and they have the same discussion only with the info about Sokar.

Favorite Lines
    (when Janet tells Jack that Apophis wants to talk to him)
    : O'Neill, I am dying.
    My heart bleeds for you.
    [O'Neill puts his hands in his pockets.]
    You lie poorly. It is you who have done this. You rejoice.
    Not really. What do you want?
    To live.
    Can't help you there. That's between you and your God.
    [Then, as if he's had a great revelation.]
    Oh wait a minute. You are your God.
    (Sarcastically)
    That's a problem.

General
    Serpent's Song is a pretty significant episode. Carrying on from the opening episode of season 2 and the Teal'c episode Family we find out Apophis although unexpectedly surviving his Ha'taks exploding has lost enough prestige and power among the system lords that they're all after him. Sokar in particular have been torturing the guy. He's escaped and now he wants sanctuary. So SG-1 being the self proclaimed good guys take him back to Earth. Where Fraiser fins out he's pretty much dying and they can't help without a sarcophagus. Teal'c and Jack are pretty much fine with Apophis just snuffing it. but Hammond wants to pump him for as much information as possible. So each of the team gets to interrogate him. Apophis tries to bargin with Jack, Daniel tries to find out about Sha're and Teal'c just gloats.

Mean while the Tok'ra arrive with a dire warning Sokar wants Apophis back and he's not going to take no for an answer. To this end he dial earth and start firing off a particle accelerator at Earth's iris, slowly heating it up and threatening to melt it entirely but he has to redial every 38 minutes.

Fearful of an all out attack from space as well as Sokar's accelerator weapon Earth capitulates; cutting off Apophis' medical aid and killing him in short order. Carter develops a fast dialing program to dial out as soon as Sokar hits the 38 minute window and they send Apophis' corpse back to Sokar. Who apparently would prefer to beat up on Heru-Ur than continue his attack upon us after he got want he wanted.

Analysis

Like all episodes Serpent's Song has some good points and some bad points. It is undoubtedly very well acted by all members of its cast and the plot moves along the over arc fairly well. Apophis has fallen and we hear rumblings of the next big bad: Sokar. Who we will see more of in Season 3. It also contains early example of what will become a major theme in season 4 and later which is tension between Earth and its allies in the Tok'ra. The Tok'ra are very critical of the SGC in this episode and pretty much try to command Hammond into doing want they want.

Still I can't help but feel that this episode is fairly clutter, The Tok'Ra and Iris attack scenes et up time that could have been used more to deal with the dilemma of what to with Apophsis. More time could have been used to expand Fraiser's role and her ethical objects to what they were doing. Or Daniel taking a turn to the dark side tried to get shau'ri's location out of him. (something akin to him gunning down helpless primta in season 1)

The Iris attack scene for example takes up time and is very cheaply solved. Carter whips up an extra quick dialling program in no time at all. One wonders why she hadn't done this before if it was so easy.

Some Highlights

Christopher Judge's acting. Very understated but there's a certain smugness and delight in Apophsis' fall that comes over very well.
    Martouf/Lantash in the briefing scene. The two personalities are very distinct and have roughly equal screen time in the episode. Unlike most Tok'ra who we mainly seem to hear from one personality (usually the symbiote) in this case we hear from them both and they are wildly different in the way they express their feelings.
    Fraiser, especially early on. Playing to role of the good doctor sticking to her guns as far as her ethics are concerned. Its not really and uncommon characterization; most TV doctors are like this but Teryl Rothery does pull it off well.

Sam/Jack
    while they share many scenes during this episode, the only Sam/Jack shippy moment would have to be when Janet is describing Apophis's Injuries and Sam has a flashback to when she was host to Jolinar and being subjected to the Ash'rak's torture and Jack is concerned for her and he only says "Sam" to get her out of her day dream.

Fanfic reference:
    Rachel500's Mixed Emotion
    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 10 April 2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Good review, this is one of my favorite episodes!
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

i need someone to send me a link to some shippy artwork for my serpent's song i couldn't find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
          Well, we know Jack has a sweet tooth with all the cake and pie he is seen eating in the commissary, but don't really recall him eating candy, nor Sam. I will speculate and say Sam likes the dark chocolate and Jack prefers the sweeter milk chocolate.
          why do all people think women like that non-sweet chocolate better? (i like to observe people when doing grocery shopping and i do not see this trend, also i would say that Sam does like sweet stuff, but she - like most women - does not indulge herself often because she does not want to gain weight)

greetings LAX
          ps: camping and fireworks? - sign me up (for food, well i can offer some whiskey (scotch!))
          pps: no, the Apophis episode may have been nice when seeing it first, but i skipped that one when i re-watched SG-1 the last time...i'd rather see such episodes like the one where Ba'al has Jack in custody, or the one with the ancient time machine (where Jack plays golf in the gate-room) or the one with those armbands... (classic Sam/Jack moment in there, where he does not want to abandon her )
          Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 10 April 2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
            why do all people think women like that non-sweet chocolate better? (i like to observe people when doing grocery shopping and i do not see this trend, also i would say that Sam does like sweet stuff, but she - like most women - does not indulge herself often because she does not want to gain weight)

greetings LAX

Why do all people think women won't "indulge" in sweets and/or chocolate because they "don't want to gain weight"? Sam has an extremely active lifestyle with her off-world missions and also works out in her spare time, so it's unlikely she would gain weight easily. It's more likely she would lose weight unless she ate a lot of calories and considering how little she seems to eat when she's in her research mode, it wouldn't hurt her to eat some sweets and/or chocolates now and then.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Why do all people think women won't "indulge" in sweets and/or chocolate because they "don't want to gain weight"? Sam has an extremely active lifestyle with her off-world missions and also works out in her spare time, so it's unlikely she would gain weight easily. It's more likely she would lose weight unless she ate a lot of calories and considering how little she seems to eat when she's in her research mode, it wouldn't hurt her to eat some sweets and/or chocolates now and then.
              She eats blue jello, that stuff is sweet and full of sugar, and I'm sure she shares a slice of cake or pie with Jack every now and then. Nope I can see Sam enjoying a chunk of chocolate as and when she wants to, but I think on the whole she probably eats a healthy balanced diet, she would have to given the demands of her job.
              sigpic
              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Thanks for the review LCJS I quite like this episode, not all that shippy but lots going on. Love the way Jack calls her 'Sam' and I do think there are a few nice looks between them at times
                sigpic
                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Nice review LCJS I made a banner sorry if it's not the best, I've had a lack of inspiration on Sam/Jack art this week

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                    Nice review LCJS I made a banner sorry if it's not the best, I've had a lack of inspiration on Sam/Jack art this week

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04af6e82.jpg
                    thanks i like it.
                    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 10 April 2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

When copying a post with a photo or banner in it, please remember to take out the IMG tags from the post you have copied from. People are forgetting to do that. But the mods won't if they are watching closely.

Comment

by me

by starlover

Comment

Nice review LCJS! I agree with the points in your analysis, especially the super fast dialing program as a kind of deus ex machina (super Carter saves the day!).

I do think it's interesting how we see each of the team interact with Apophis. It's really only Sam who doesn't have a personal stake in his demise. She's all business, while the guys are all compromised by their emotions to some extent. That is until the Tok'ra come on the scene and Sam's little inheritance from Jolinar comes into play and really throws her off.

A pre-shippy moment to consider: this is where Sam gets the idea that will save Jack from the evil succubus in that fan favorite episode, A Hundred Days.

Comment

not a fan favourite of mine - i think this episode is rather boring! but to each his own (and the rest for me )

greetings LAX
                            ps: from a shipping point of view the episode ("A hundred days") might be important but otherwise it is just so damned lame - you may kill/stone me now

Comment

what would you guys have done if you had apophis as your prisoner?

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                                not a fan favourite of mine - i think this episode is rather boring! but to each his own (and the rest for me )

greetings LAX
                                ps: from a shipping point of view the episode ("A hundred days") might be important but otherwise it is just so damned lame - you may kill/stone me now
                                I am 99% certain ( it is theoretically possible that is she isn't) that hlndncr was saying "fan favorite" with her tongue firmly planted in cheek (she is kidding) so have no fear.

I myself like the firerain bit when sam gets excited....before she gets concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X