X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    Children of the Gods

Sam and Jack:
    No one can deny the chemistry between them from the outset. Jack is distracted, thinking about a million things and stating his preferences to General Hammond ("I'd like to put my own team together..."), and in she walks. Crisp, fresh, professional -she's like a breath of fresh air as she breezes through the door. He stops -calculating a team member that is pushed on him against his wishes...a scientist, of all things (I'm sure at this point he's flashing back to the image of Daniel's very unmilitary thoughts and actions, and how this led them into trouble the last time).

Sam:
    I know that the “reproductive organs” comment elicits a groan from fans, but I really love her spunk -Jack's giving her a little bit of a hard time, but Kawalski is really enjoying himself and Ferretti is getting a laugh or two at her expense. She does not back down; she seems to know that if she doesn't stand up for herself here, this team will not take her seriously.

Overall Opinion:
    The filming is good and the concept is excellent, but overall the ep feels stilted and new. The acting is a bit forced at times. I’m not making a big issue of this –obviously I’m a fan! They become so much better over the years as they add layers of back-story to the characters and the actors come to “own” the roles.

Having said that: I love the conversation between Jack and Daniel at Jack's house -it's a little backstory-filling moment that is also heart-to-heart. I also love how the team of 3 is alreay caring for each other in the prison at Chulak.

Something new I noticed on this rewatch:
    I had not heard them tell Sam about Sha’re being gifted to Daniel before. Her reaction, while interrupted by the priests of Chulak approaching on the path, was priceless.
    I completely agree with the comment/speech Sam makes during her entrance. The show seems to come to life when she walks into that conference room and Jack's life. You can just see it in his eyes that he's completely blown away by this spunky, beautiful, and intelligent woman.

I also love the conversation between Sam and Daniel when they meet for the first time. She wants to present herself as a doctor and I love the annoyance that Jack expresses at the fact that she wants Daniel to address her differently. Do I catch a hint of jealousy?

Everyone has probably already read these before but I thought I'd share a couple tag fics from some amazing authors to go along with Children of the Gods.

Aftershocks 1 by Rachel500 Chapter 1
    Campfires Season 1 by Pol Chapter 1

Enjoy
    sigpic

Comment

Woohoo - think I can finally get around to starting the rewatch today! Really looking forward to it. Just got to get a washload sorted, make a phone call and then I should be good to go!

I'm going to be doing post-ep 'reviews' (read: 'ramblings with a heavy side of ship') on my LiveJournal, so I'll post the link in here every week as I do them, so anyone that would like to have a read can do (and also feel free to add me on there or comment etc, I'm very friendly, honest!)

Loving reading everyone's thoughts on CotG so far, I've not had much to add yet just because I'd rather refresh my memory with the ep first.

Also, like meredithe5, I highly recommend both the Campfire Stories and Aftershocks series as well - if you haven't read them yet (or just haven't read them in a while), now's a great time to start as they tie in so convincingly with the episodes
      sigpic
      Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
        Children of the Gods

Sam and Jack:
        No one can deny the chemistry between them from the outset. Jack is distracted, thinking about a million things and stating his preferences to General Hammond ("I'd like to put my own team together..."), and in she walks. Crisp, fresh, professional -she's like a breath of fresh air as she breezes through the door. He stops -calculating a team member that is pushed on him against his wishes...a scientist, of all things (I'm sure at this point he's flashing back to the image of Daniel's very unmilitary thoughts and actions, and how this led them into trouble the last time).

Sam:
        I know that the “reproductive organs” comment elicits a groan from fans, but I really love her spunk -Jack's giving her a little bit of a hard time, but Kawalski is really enjoying himself and Ferretti is getting a laugh or two at her expense. She does not back down; she seems to know that if she doesn't stand up for herself here, this team will not take her seriously.

Overall Opinion:
        The filming is good and the concept is excellent, but overall the ep feels stilted and new. The acting is a bit forced at times. I’m not making a big issue of this –obviously I’m a fan! They become so much better over the years as they add layers of back-story to the characters and the actors come to “own” the roles.

Having said that: I love the conversation between Jack and Daniel at Jack's house -it's a little backstory-filling moment that is also heart-to-heart. I also love how the team of 3 is alreay caring for each other in the prison at Chulak.

Something new I noticed on this rewatch:
        I had not heard them tell Sam about Sha’re being gifted to Daniel before. Her reaction, while interrupted by the priests of Chulak approaching on the path, was priceless.
        I loved feminist Sam and thought, considering the attitude - "this man's army (airforce)" [quoting Janet's ex] - it was fitting.

Is it the fans who groan at the reproductive organs line? Or is it the writers who decided that in the wake of shows like BSG, it suddenly wasn't sophisticated enough? I LOVE that line and I thought Sam was pretty tough delivering it.
        Last edited by RamonaThePest; 05 September 2012, 07:39 AM.
        sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
          I loved feminist Sam and thought, considering the attitude - "this man's army (airforce)" [quoting Janet's ex] - it was fitting.
          I liked that it gave Sam's character somewhere to grow. She's still a strong and determined officer at the end of the series, just not as prickly because she's confident in her own accomplishments and her place in the program (and she blew up a sun so no one was going to mess with her ).

Comment

It was a great place to start with her character. She was a strong determined woman but she had a chip on her shoulder. It was understandable though because there weren't a lot of women in the military during that time period, especially beautiful and intelligent women. She grew as a character throughout the series to the point where her actions spoke for her so she had nothing to prove to anyone.

In Children of the Gods Jack didn't know what to make of her and didn't trust her abilities because he didn't know her as an officer or even as a person. In the end she proved herself and he fell in love with her *shippy squuee*
            sigpic

Comment

I'm sure it's been debated here in the past but, at what episode (point in time) do you think Jack fell in love with Sam? And vice versa?

I personally think Jack fell in love with her when he saw her willing to sacrifice her life for a child (Cassie, who was a stranger to them). I'm not sure for Sam since there was always some hero worship there. When did hers become real - I can't pick a moment. Can you?

Comment

I'm sure it's been debated here in the past but, at what episode (point in time) do you think Jack fell in love with Sam? And vice versa?

I personally think Jack fell in love with her when he saw her willing to sacrifice her life for a child (Cassie, who was a stranger to them). I'm not sure for Sam since there was always some hero worship there. When did hers become real - I can't pick a moment. Can you?
                I think for Sam it was something that she became aware of over time, she seems to have kind of come to terms with it by the time we get to D&C. But I think Jack only becomes aware of the fact he loves her at that fantastic moment in that ep where he shouts 'no' from behind the force shield. For me that's the turning point for Jack - even when he seems so accepting of it later when Sam mentions it on base. The shock on his face, for me, shows that he's not really considered how deeply he does feel for her up until that point. And Sam's reaction is brilliant as well, it's almost consolation and empathy.

*shivers* that scene always gives me goosebumps
                Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                  I think for Sam it was something that she became aware of over time, she seems to have kind of come to terms with it by the time we get to D&C. But I think Jack only becomes aware of the fact he loves her at that fantastic moment in that ep where he shouts 'no' from behind the force shield. For me that's the turning point for Jack - even when he seems so accepting of it later when Sam mentions it on base. The shock on his face, for me, shows that he's not really considered how deeply he does feel for her up until that point. And Sam's reaction is brilliant as well, it's almost consolation and empathy.

*shivers* that scene always gives me goosebumps
                  Yes, that's the ultimate shiver-me-timbers. But when he whispers "Sam" into the intercom after she doesn't respond to "Captain" - definitely a first tingle.

Comment

I'm not sure I can give a definitive answer on this one. I think they both fell into it so gradually they didn't really notice until that moment in D&C when it just came crashing down on both of them that they couldn't live without the other.

I'll have to pay attention during this rewatch and see if anything particular ignites my imagination.

Remind me to keep looking for it!

Comment

I don't think that Sam truly realized her feelings in that episode, but for me 100 days it's very important in the development of her love for Jack. But denial is way too common for Sam...
                      sigpic
                      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Ok, not really on topic with the whole 'shippy' part of the rewatch, but something I noticed after watching CotG today... Did I blink and miss something, or at the start did Apophis et al actually turn and walk straight back through the incoming wormhole that they arrived through when they left with the female officer from the SGC? My head went: "Huh!? They can't do that, it doesn't work that way!"

Currently writing up my thoughts etc on the ep/the ship on LJ, will post a link when I'm done

Just to make this on-topic... Sam and Jack Forever!
                        sigpic

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
                          Ok, not really on topic with the whole 'shippy' part of the rewatch, but something I noticed after watching CotG today... Did I blink and miss something, or at the start did Apophis et al actually turn and walk straight back through the incoming wormhole that they arrived through when they left with the female officer from the SGC? My head went: "Huh!? They can't do that, it doesn't work that way!"

Currently writing up my thoughts etc on the ep/the ship on LJ, will post a link when I'm done

Yes, that was something Brad Wright fixed in the new version.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            Yes, that was something Brad Wright fixed in the new version.

Ah, I hadn't realised that (never seen the new version) - thanks for confirming
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post

Yep bit of a boo boo there, just wondering if there are any other mistakes like that throughout the franchise
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                                Yep bit of a boo boo there, just wondering if there are any other mistakes like that throughout the franchise
                                I can remember in one episode quite early on Teal'c's serpent...tattoo...thing (the name of it escapes me all of a sudden, sorry!) is shown upside down for quite a time - how that one escaped anyone's notice is beyond me. Like you, I wonder what other mistakes there may have been - I'm sure between us we'll catch them during the rewatch!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X