Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    As in, the most awkward way they could meet in an AU? Out of the infinite possibilities?

Hmmm... I'd have to say... It'd be pretty awkward if Jack was a dentist and Sam was his patient and the first time he saw her she was in the patient's chair with her teeth being cleaned. Doing that weirdo "mouth open" grin and everything...

Weird mental image there. Guh. Let's not think about that anymore. As much as I like clean teeth, dentists kinda give me the heebies. No offense to all you dentists on here. You guys are awesome, and I have loads of respect for you... but still-- better you than me!
    Personally I think a gynecological exam for Sam by Jack would be even weirder...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Personally I think a gynecological exam for Sam by Jack would be even weirder...
      Oh... jeez! Gah! *mind soap* Guh. Not working!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Must resist cannonballing into the gutter.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

*splashes into the gutter*
          sigpic
          My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
            Must resist cannonballing into the gutter.
            Honestly, I can't think of anything less guttery than an annual visit. Oh yes, let's get that cold speculum :: shudders ::

Yeah.

Definitely not at all hot. >.<

Comment

*innocently walks into thread, reads previous devolving comments*

Ooookayyyy....

*backs quickly out of thread*
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

So I did get a chance to watch Frozen this week.

This is the first SG ep I remember seeing. Long before I became a fan I stumbled across this one and liked it. I knew nothing of the characters, the mythology, any of the story arcs. I didn't even notice Sam and Jack. (I know how unshipperly of me!) I remember thinking that Jonas was very endearing.

Now that I'm a shipper and a true fan I still enjoy this episode and I think Jonas is very charming. I also see the obvious shippy undertones. Of course the end, with Jack's life in peril, is steeped in shippiness. But I also see little shippy moments just off screen and beneath the surface.

There's one point when Janet and Jonas come into the main room of the research center and Sam and Jack are in a little sitting area apart from the rest of the room. From their location and some looks between them while Janet is talking I like to think they were having a little private discussion together before the others come in.

I also see Sam's concern for Jack as he and Teal'c goes out to search for the missing scientist. She reminds Jack to stay in radio range and runs for the radio when Jack calls.

So that's my shippy take on Frozen. What ep should we watch this week?
                Last edited by hlndncr; 22 January 2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Last week's rewatch included:

Prometheus
                  Unnatural Selection
                  Sight Unseen
                  Smoke and Mirrors
                  Paradise Lost

Upcoming week:

Metamorphosis
                  Disclosure
                  Forsaken
                  The Changeling
                  Memento

(I think I've got the schedule right)

Of those above, I think of "Paradise Lost" & "Metamorphosis" as being the shippiest, but I don't think we have to limit it to one or two -I'll discuss whatever you guys want to.

I watched "Paradise Lost" last night. *sigh* Such shippy goodness.

I absolutely love catching Teal'c's looks at Sam as she's becoming more and more distressed, showing in her short-temperedness with Dr. Lee. Something subtle I did not appreciate on the first go-round.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                  "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I'm up for Paradise Lost. Shippy goodness and yummy Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                      http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/BlackyKitten/Artworks_and_other_stuff/Artworks/paradise_lost2.jpg
                      Banner by Blacky Kitten

Synopsis

The one where Jack is all scruffy and hot.

Or, in more detail... Maybourne turns up at Jack’s with a proposition - he apparently has the gate address, key and combination lock code for a super-secret cache of weapons that was what Simmons et al were after back in Prometheus. Jack is naturally suspicious, but brings it to Hammond, and eventually, after an initial survey of the planet seems to confirm Maybourne’s story, Maybourne is allowed to go through the gate with Jack to activate the portal. Maybourne being Maybourne, he actually intends to double-cross Jack and get away scot-free, but Jack manages to grab hold of him at the last minute and is therefore transported too. They turn up in an abandoned village, supposed to be an alien utopia, where there is nothing to do but fish and eat alien arugula. Everyone gets cranky, Jack and Maybourne get paranoid, and there’s quite a bit of shooting before Sam figures out where they are and can sort out a rescue.

Analysis

Sweet thunky goodness.

Or, if I can get my brain past that fact and start it thinking properly...

This is a really beautifully put together episode. It’s one of those where there is so much more giving you the story than just the words and actions - the way it is filmed, the lighting, the gorgeously atmospheric music, all combine to give you a sense of increasing foreboding, culminating in the paranoid sequence where the light just drains away and its all shadows and over-exposure. The presence or otherwise of the moon in the planet’s sky (and the planet in the moon’s sky) is a nice clue from very early on, and the script itself is full of little clues - particularly with the constant joking about whether Jack is going to shoot/kill Maybourne, but also, and a particular favourite of mine, the line where Jack tells Maybourne “You are what you eat” - nicely prophetic.

Jack and Maybourne are always good value as a double-act, and we see the whole gamut of their interactions here - the wry and sarcastic ‘friendly’ banter, the grudging acknowledgement that they need each other, and sheer fury. Few people wind Jack up like Maybourne does - we discussed with Prometheus how it’s rare to see Jack’s hot anger, but Maybourne brings it out of him here. Jack's line "It's not that I can't believe that you lied to me again, it's that I can't believe you lied to me again" is I think very telling of how Maybourne manages to manipulate Jack and the whole of the SGC (and even the President) into this situation. They really should not be surprised that Maybourne double-crosses them, they even half expected it, and yet they're still a little surprised that he does so successfully. And we can feel this as viewers - you're waiting for the other footwear to fall as Maybourne makes his case for being allowed to go offworld. Everyone is guilty of both being taken in by him and of underestimating him in the first part of the episode - it may be Sam that he managed to disarm, but he was only able to do so both by them letting him get into that position in the first place, and by his understanding of the character of SG1 which enables him to set them up so effectively. It's just occurred to me that this is an interesting counterpoint to Smoke and Mirrors, which as hlndncr pointed out, is all about trust - here they trust too easily, and pay the price for it.

Maybourne's character development is part of this - it's very easy to forget by this point in the series that earlier on he was an out-and-out baddie, but due to his part in helping Jack in Chain Reaction and Desperate Measures, we (and Jack too) are somewhat conned into believing that Maybourne does have some redeeming qualities there somewhere, and, as explicitly stated by Jack and Hammond when discussing Maybourne's proposition at the start of the episode, they do kind of want to let him redeem himself a bit. All of which sets them up nicely for Maybourne to play them in the way he does.

The other thing I really like about this episode is that we really get to see Jack using his brain! He is stranded without his team, and can't therefore rely on them to figure things out for him and explain them to him in words of one syllable - there is no dumb colonel act here at all. Instead, he investigates, explores, looks at the evidence left behind by the civilisation that was there, and realises what happened - in other words, he does just what Daniel and Sam would have done for him. We also get to see his survival skills (particularly contrasted to Maybourne's) and fighting skills, both of which we are more used to seeing from him, but here we get a real picture of a fully-rounded competent soldier, alert, intelligent, and strong, and more than capable of looking after himself and those with him. We know Jack is capable of all of this, that he's too good and respected an officer not to be, but too often he lets the rest of his team do the brain-work and it's lovely to see him not hiding behind his dumb persona.

And one final miscellaneous thing... I have this episode to thank for teaching me what rocket is in American

Sam and Jack stuff to come in the next post... I got a bit wordy again
                      Bringing josiane's synopsis forward from page 151. Hope it's helpful (I hate to waste work that was already done). I didn't bring forward her "Sam and Jack" analysis -I thought I would leave that open for the current shipper discussion (kind of like "no cheating" -LOL).
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

My take:

Sam & Jack

Sam:

This is one of the episodes where the emotions are very close to the surface, especially for Sam. The whole time I watched this I kept wondering if she was remembering Edora ('100 Days').

Dr. Lee says we're done...it's been a week.

A week...really?

She worked 3 MONTHS on that particle beam to get him home from Edora. Giving up this time after a week must have been inconcievable and insulting to her (I feel like I should note here that it is apparent that she hasn't built the colleague relationship with Dr. Lee that we see later in the series -they feel almost like strangers here).

Teal'c's care and support of her is incredibly sweet. The silent glances when she is grouching at Dr. Lee, and the quiet comfort of the locker room scene are perfect.

I love that she is loyal to Jack...not willing to write him off. I think it is a testament to her character -whether he was her CO, her friend, or something more, she is willing to invest the best of her mind & resources to bring him home (and I think that I should say that she would have done the same for Daniel or Teal'c -IMO).

It has been said by others and it rings true that this is an example of why the regs exist - "Dating, courtship, and close friendships between men and women are subject to the same policy considerations as are other relationships. Like any personal relationship, they become matters of official concern when they adversely affect morale, discipline, unit cohesion, respect for authority, or mission accomplishment. Members must recognize that these relationships can adversely affect morale and discipline, even when the members are not in the same chain of command or unit." You can see how the loyalty of friendship (or something more) could lead a person to focus on the missing person to the detriment of the mission. SG-1 as an entire group crossed that line years ago (I suppose in RL they would have rotated team members more frequently, but that doth NOT good TV make).

Jack:

The expression on Jack's face as he is regaining conciousness from the zat is one of concern that transforms to anger (I know my shippy glasses are quite strong, but even I was ticked off that Maybourne shot Sam in the back, even knowing that it was a stun).

I found myself wondering again, as the weeks rolled by, whether Jack was remembering Edora...remembering that Carter never gave up in trying to get him home against impossible odds. I would like to think that it crossed his mind (early on, before the crazy, life-threatening stuff started).

Other than that, Jack did his usual survival thing of focusing on the problem at hand. He's not an overtly emotional person, and that is consistent in this ep.

The one thing that was lacking for me was a 'reunion' scene -I would really have liked to have seen that.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I can't help it. Jack firing up the grill to cook hot dogs for himself.? I mean, who does that? Hamburgers I could understand but all that work to heat hot dogs that are already cooked -- and just for himself. Okay. Other than that I love this episode, though I would have liked a little more about the rescue and would have loved to see a Sam/Jack reunion, but, of course, nothing would have happened.

Comment

what's this upcoming episodes? isn't it Prophecy, Full Circle, Fallen, Homecoming, Fragile Balance?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                              I can't help it. Jack firing up the grill to cook hot dogs for himself.? I mean, who does that? Hamburgers I could understand but all that work to heat hot dogs that are already cooked -- and just for himself. Okay. Other than that I love this episode, though I would have liked a little more about the rescue and would have loved to see a Sam/Jack reunion, but, of course, nothing would have happened.
                              He really loves his grill and probably uses it any chance he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                                **raises hand guiltily**

I do this all the time. I prefer the taste of grilled meat to fried or baked, and so I'll often just go out and fire it up. It's easy if you have a gas grill with either a dedicated house line or a propane tank attached to it. Granted, his little hibachi was probably charcoal, and that's a lot of trouble to go to for a few hot dogs, but I've been known to do that, too, before we got the big grill we have outside. Living in a place like I do, where it's grilling weather all year round, I use it a lot. My aunt even used to bake cakes and cookies and casseroles in hers (it, like mine, has temperature controls). It just makes sense when it gets to be 115 outside in the summer and you don't want to heat up your house in order to cook things.

So, the grilling alone thing didn't bother me much.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories: FFdotNet
                                My Stories AO3
                                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X