No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my non-shippy question about "Jolinar's Memories". When they find Jacob, he says a word--I've always assumed it was Sam's mother's name, and it sounds to me like it's "Thea". It's what draws Sam to her father.

Any thoughts?
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      Here's my non-shippy question about "Jolinar's Memories". When they find Jacob, he says a word--I've always assumed it was Sam's mother's name, and it sounds to me like it's "Thea". It's what draws Sam to her father.

Any thoughts?
      I'll have to watch it again . It would make sense of why it was Sam's memory stamps' name in Beneath the Surface. Or it could simply be a bastardization of Samantha... If he's delirious and slurring, the "-tha" could easily turn into "Thea". Which part of the ep is it, do you know? So I could look for it in particular?

Comment

Any thoughts?
        It really does sound like "Thea" or like he's got a bit of a lisp when he says it. He also says "Sam" very clearly a bit later and the two really do sound differently.

Originally posted by selene0789
        I'll have to watch it again . It would make sense of why it was Sam's memory stamps' name in Beneath the Surface. Or it could simply be a bastardization of Samantha... If he's delirious and slurring, the "-tha" could easily turn into "Thea". Which part of the ep is it, do you know? So I could look for it in particular?
        It's in the bit just after they've been thrown in the cell on Netu and are talking about what to do. A voice behined them says "Thea" or "Sam" (with a Th). They all turn and Sam realizes it's Jacob who spoke.

Comment

Any thoughts?
          It could be a slurred attempt to say Sam or Samantha, but others have postulated (and I liked it and incorporated it into my mental layout of the SG-verse) that he could be calling for Sam's mom in his delirium...and that "Thea" was her name (members speculated it could be short for "Dorathea").

I liked it, so I'm going with it
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

It does sound like Thea. Good ears!

Maybe short for Dorothea? (if it is the mom's name...)

Comment

I think it was meant to be "Sam." (Transcripts I've checked have Jacob saying Sam.) I've been listening to just the audio at work and that makes it more clear and sounds a lot more like a slurred Sam than Thea. But I still like the idea of "Thea" as Sam's mom; so I'm going with that anyway.

Comment

another thing that really had me confused about jolinar's memories/the devil you know, is that in certain scenes they had this woman screaming in the background that could've been sounded like sam screaming because one of those screams woke up jacob up and he immediately thought it was sam.

Comment

Hubs and I rewatched it together and he kind of chuckled at the random screams in the background. More 'Monty Python' than 'Stargate'.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                  "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The Devil You Know

I am trying to catch up on this week's eps. The family is a little burned out on Stargate (horrible...I know, right?), so I have to sneak one in between whatever they'd rather be watching.

When Kintac comes to take Sam away to Apophis, Jack says "Umm…I don't think so" and begins to walk forward. Kintac doesn't blink as he shoots Jack in the leg for his audacity, and Sam stands between them, holding up a placating hand...

It has always appeared to me that while Jack is in obvious agony and holding his injured leg, he keeps raising his head to watch her retreating form as she leaves the cell. There's more than one kind of pain going on here.

When she awakens in the cell and Daniel tells her that they took Jack (ostensibly for the same torture), she looks pained.

That's all I have on this one. I love so many other aspects of this two-parter that have little to do with the ship...but I'll save those for the episode thread.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I think it was meant to be "Sam." (Transcripts I've checked have Jacob saying Sam.) I've been listening to just the audio at work and that makes it more clear and sounds a lot more like a slurred Sam than Thea. But I still like the idea of "Thea" as Sam's mom; so I'm going with that anyway.
                      I always heard "Sam" as well, just a slurred version of it. This discussion reminds me of the confusion I always had for Solitudes, perhaps y'all can help. When Sam returns after discovering its an "ice planet" Jack mutters what I initially thought was "Sam", then later decided was "Sara", but am now confused about again because the Spanish subtitles on my dvd read "Sam."

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                      The Devil You Know

I am trying to catch up on this week's eps. The family is a little burned out on Stargate (horrible...I know, right?), so I have to sneak one in between whatever they'd rather be watching.

When Kintac comes to take Sam away to Apophis, Jack says "Umm…I don't think so" and begins to walk forward. Kintac doesn't blink as he shoots Jack in the leg for his audacity, and Sam stands between them, holding up a placating hand...

It has always appeared to me that while Jack is in obvious agony and holding his injured leg, he keeps raising his head to watch her retreating form as she leaves the cell. There's more than one kind of pain going on here.

When she awakens in the cell and Daniel tells her that they took Jack (ostensibly for the same torture), she looks pained.

That's all I have on this one. I love so many other aspects of this two-parter that have little to do with the ship...but I'll save those for the episode thread.
                      Great catches on both episodes, Sara! And I know what you mean about your family being burned out on Stargate. Thankfully, my mother and brother still like it, but all of my cousins get irritated with my multiple SG-1 references and random "That guy was on Stargate!" outbursts while watching tv or movies.

Anyway, I love JM and TDYK for all of their shippy goodness! Jack stays concerned for Sam throughout, and really doesn't mind showing it either. I think it not only shows how close Jack and Sam are, but how much Daniel cares for Sam, too. It seems both men are very aware of her feelings and offer help in the way they each know best (Daniel by talking/listening; Jack by protecting/defending).

Favorite lines are definitely the "Come and get her yourself, you..." and "Umm.. I don't think so."
                      As I've mentioned before, ProtectiveJack is my favorite
                      sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
                        I always heard "Sam" as well, just a slurred version of it. This discussion reminds me of the confusion I always had for Solitudes, perhaps y'all can help. When Sam returns after discovering its an "ice planet" Jack mutters what I initially thought was "Sam", then later decided was "Sara", but am now confused about again because the Spanish subtitles on my dvd read "Sam."
                        On my DVD, Jack clearly says "Sara". He's delirious, he's dying, he still loves his ex-wife, and he's calling to her. It's like when he was in Iraq, he says what kept him going and surviving was thinking about Sara and getting back to her. I think it's something similar here. Sam realizes that, and replies to him as though she is Sara, thinking it will comfort him somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          On my DVD, Jack clearly says "Sara". He's delirious, he's dying, he still loves his ex-wife, and he's calling to her. It's like when he was in Iraq, he says what kept him going and surviving was thinking about Sara and getting back to her. I think it's something similar here. Sam realizes that, and replies to him as though she is Sara, thinking it will comfort him somewhat.
                          Yes--he's saying "Sara". I think that it's too early in their relationship for him to be calling out for Sam, although he's certainly aware of her in a more "female" way after this experience.

Having said that, I believe that Sam is showing her natural nurturing tendencies when she allows herself to be a surrogate for him. She knows that his memories of Sara comforted him in his Iraq ordeal, and she willingly acts as Sara in this instance to comfort him. It's one of the first times in the series that we see her "big sister" instincts hit--before this she was predominantly the younger officer trying to be tough. I think that she really hits her natural stride as a character when she blends the toughness with the caring nature.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            Yes--he's saying "Sara". I think that it's too early in their relationship for him to be calling out for Sam, although he's certainly aware of her in a more "female" way after this experience.

Having said that, I believe that Sam is showing her natural nurturing tendencies when she allows herself to be a surrogate for him. She knows that his memories of Sara comforted him in his Iraq ordeal, and she willingly acts as Sara in this instance to comfort him. It's one of the first times in the series that we see her "big sister" instincts hit--before this she was predominantly the younger officer trying to be tough. I think that she really hits her natural stride as a character when she blends the toughness with the caring nature.
                            Thanks for the insight! I also had been thinking it was a little early on in their "relationship" for him to be calling out to her, which is why the subtitles confused me so much.
                            But I knew y'all could help
                            sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
                              Thanks for the insight! I also had been thinking it was a little early on in their "relationship" for him to be calling out to her, which is why the subtitles confused me so much.
                              But I knew y'all could help
                              I'm not remembering specific episodes, but there are others where the subtitles conflict with what was actually said on the original English versions.

Comment

Which is one of the reasons I watch them without subtitles. I'd rather rewind to hear what they were saying/mumbling than check the subtitles which sometimes don't correspond with what's being said, be that in English or a different language.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X