No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I wouldn't disagree. I just think it gained some "umph" (and smoother writing) later on - as is the case with most shows

Comment

Hathor

The guys go loopy and Janet and Sam kick some Goa'uld hiney!

I like that when things first start to go off the rails Sam turns to Jack for his support. She has come to trust him to back her up and take her advice seriously. I think that may be what ultimately sent her off to take matters into her own hands. She had to be ticked that the trust and good working relationship she had been building with him seems to have crumbled when this goa'uld with the freaky bad breath shows up. She even voices some insecurity to Janet when they are in the lock up together about not being able to feel like one of the guys, suggesting that Jack's brushing her off might have knocked down her confidence a little bit. That makes the ending so much sweeter when she and Janet are thanked for saving their sorry butts and Sam clearly basks in Jack's approval.

As for Jack, notice how uncomfortable he is with Sam ogling him (for medical purposes of course)? He's obviously still a little confused with what all is going on at that moment, but I think having Sam opening his shirt was definitely making it difficult for him to concentrate on the current crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        Hathor

The guys go loopy and Janet and Sam kick some Goa'uld hiney!

I like that when things first start to go off the rails Sam turns to Jack for his support. She has come to trust him to back her up and take her advice seriously. I think that may be what ultimately sent her off to take matters into her own hands. She had to be ticked that the trust and good working relationship she had been building with him seems to have crumbled when this goa'uld with the freaky bad breath shows up. She even voices some insecurity to Janet when they are in the lock up together about not being able to feel like one of the guys, suggesting that Jack's brushing her off might have knocked down her confidence a little bit. That makes the ending so much sweeter when she and Janet are thanked for saving their sorry butts and Sam clearly basks in Jack's approval.

As for Jack, notice how uncomfortable he is with Sam ogling him (for medical purposes of course)? He's obviously still a little confused with what all is going on at that moment, but I think having Sam opening his shirt was definitely making it difficult for him to concentrate on the current crisis.

[IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/hlndncr/Gateworld%20Rewatch%20Banners/HathorSig.jpg[/]
        I've always loved that little tidbit. It's like Jack is feeling himself respond to her, and doesn't quite know what to do about it. And Sam looks the same--it's definitely NOT a medical moment.
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Singularity

Love the playfulness at the beginning of this episode. Sam knows Jack has a telescope on his roof. Might they have spent some time gazing at the stars previous to this mission?

Daniel is surprised when Jack uses an astronomical term but Sam is not. Later when Jack is describing the black hole to Teal'c he seems much less versed in such things. Do you think maybe Jack was showing off a little when Sam was around because he wanted to impress her with his understanding of astronomy?

I get the feeling that both Jack and Teal'c would have preferred to have Sam there at the observatory. Sam would have explained things better. And while Jack was clearly enjoyed playing with the telescope, I think he had been looking forward to sharing that moment with Sam.

At first Sam is totally focused on the mission. You can tell she wants to be the one to stay. I'm not sure why Cassie took to Sam so readily. You can tell that initially Sam didn't quite know how to react to a child clinging to her so desparately. (Jack doesn't seem surprised by it at all.) I wonder if some of her trepidation about getting close to Cassie comes out of lingering issues from her own childhood, losing her mother at a very vulnerable time for any girl (and not much older than Cassie I imagine) and left alone with an angry brother and a distant father. I can see how getting close to the young girl could be very scary for her.

Later, with Daniel's help I think (and isn't it remarkable that someone who should have even worse attachment issues than Sam is the one who helps her open up) she fully embraces the love Cassie gives her. I think Sam showed so much courage in the end. She wouldn't let Jack take her. She made the hard choice to come back and not let the child she loved die alone (even if she did suspect it might not happen). And honestly, while Jack was ordering Sam to come back up, I don't think he would have been able to leave Cassie either.

I think the last scene at the park is a really important one in Jack and Sam's relationships. Remember, of all the pictures she could have taken with her to Atlantis, she chose one of Jack from this day. I think it's the first time Sam sees this sweet sensitive side of Jack as Cassie shows off the dog he has just given her and she's rather charmed by it. How can you not love a man who clearly loves children and dogs?

Comment

Cor-Ai

I really enjoy this episode. It has some great moments with Jack and Teal'c and Teal'c and Daniel. Sam gets pushed to the side a little bit in this one.

We do have Sam and Jack going back to the SGC together to get help and Jack's confrontation with General Hammond. Jack is very raw at this point. Seeing Teal'c on trial for his past service to Apophis has clearly hit a sore spot with Jack and his one past deeds. When he blows up at Hammond over the distasteful things he's done in service to his country I have to wonder whether he's gotten so caught up that he forgets Sam is there or he's come to trust her and depend on her to the point that he is comfortable with her presence even at such an emotional moment when he is revealing some very personal information. That's a big change from just a few episodes back (Cold Lazarus) when she had absolutely no idea about his personal life or his past.

Comment

What was the episode where we can see Sam showing the photo of Jack from Singularity?
              I am amazed how you guys manage to remember those details from various episodes
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
                What was the episode where we can see Sam showing the photo of Jack from Singularity?
                I am amazed how you guys manage to remember those details from various episodes
                Reunion, Atlantis Season Four Episode 3. (there was also a little deleted scene on the box set where we find out that Jack and woolsey recommended her for the atlantis command.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  Reunion, Atlantis Season Four Episode 3. (there was also a little deleted scene on the box set where we find out that Jack and woolsey recommended her for the atlantis command.
                  Thanks, I need to get those dvd/blueray boxsets. If only I could get them all in UK
                  sigpic

Comment

Enigma

Sam's first alien boyfriend. But before I get to that . . .

Sam and Jack don't have a whole lot of interaction in this one. But I have been taking special notice of how they are sitting and standing when in a scene together. Early in the season their body language was separate and they were often apart. Notably, by this time they are almost always right next to each other and often mirroring one another. When they first return to the SGC they sit down next to each other on the end of the ramp while the rest of the team remains standing. They are sitting next to each other in the briefings, and I love it at one point how Sam seems to be studying Jack so intently. And it just seems like Jack always expects to just have her right there by his side like he has come to depend on her presence and her support.

OK, now Narim. The first thing I noticed is that she is essentially ordered by General Hammond to "work on" Narim because of his attraction to her. This is something really should have ticked her feminist side off. But I guess she's mellowed enough now to just consider it part of the job. I also think she does find herself intrigued by Narim, or at least his understanding of physics. I also get the feeling that she hasn't had many relationships, especially with someone so obviously admiring (and polite). I think she's very flattered by the attention, but also made some what uncomfortable by it. I don't think she really believes anyone could be so taken with her and she's a little overwhelmed by it all, especially when he quite literally shares his emotions with her. I know I've read some comments that suggest this was manipulative, but I'm not so sure. I do think that when Sam kisses Narim it is a result of his feelings more than hers. Sam's too cautious to take such a step so casually I believe.

All in all I think it was a sweet little romance. Although I admit it does get slightly creepier later on. But I don't think Sam thought much on it after it was all said and done. And I really don't see Narim as being the kind of person she could have a lasting relationship with. He's a little to prim and proper, and Sam definitely has a wicked side and she needs a little bit of a bad boy to bring it out of her. In my mind Sam's the kind of girl who doesn't want a man who is truly wicked, but one who could be wicked and wouldn't. I'd say Jack definitely fits the bill.

Last edited by hlndncr; September 6, 2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Solitudes

This is one of my all time favorite Stargate eps. There is so much here to love.

Right off we learn that when the team was under fire Jack sends Daniel and Teal'c through first and keeps Sam back with him to provide cover. A big change from CotG when Jack sent Sam through to the SGC first. He trusts her not just as a scientist but as a soldier.

When Sam is setting his broken leg she tries to distract him by getting him to talk. I'm sure he knows this is what she's doing, but it strikes me that he is so open with her talking about his past and his relationship with Sara. Some of the details he shares are so intimate and so personal. I wonder if he's ever shared that with anyone else, even Sara.

This experience is what I think ulitmately bonds them together. Let's face it, dying together slowly is not an experience you have with just everyone.

He relies on her to keep them alive and get them out. She leans on him to bouy her up and give her hope. The whole time they are so concerned for one another. The take care of each other. When he first orders them to rest you can see Sam's reluctance. She's thinking, "Will you still be with me in the morning?" And later when he calls to her (he's made soup), she runs to him thinking he needs her.

When they snuggle up to sleep he can't help referencing his attrraction to her ("as much as I might otherwise think this is nice . . .") and as he often does he makes her laugh ("it's my sidearm . . .") to deflect. (And I'm just going to say right here that the whole "no giggling" line is so overused in fanfic. Little pet peeve.) I think she also really opens up to him in her own way when she tells him she has no regrets to die with him, lost and far from home. He can't say the same--he clearly has regrets--but they aren't about her (yet).

Finally, when Jack believes there is no longer hope of getting home through the gate he tries to order her away, but she won't go. It's only when he pleads with her ("Sam . . . I'm dying . . . Please") that she gives in. In later years it will always be Sam's "please" to Jack that gets him to save himself, but she learned that tactic from him.

When she's gone and he's ready to say goodbye he calls her Sam. He talks about their professional relationship ("It was an honor to serve with you"), but he does it as a friend. So much different from the man who has a problem with scientists and would prefer to choose his own team. Even then, Sam isn't ready to let him go. She tells him to hold on; she's going to find help.

After reaching the surface and finding nothing but ice, she goes back. She just can't leave him, even on the slim chance she might save herself.

The last scene between them before they are rescued makes me cry. Jack is on the edge of death. Sam cuddles up next to him. He's delirious and calls out for Sara. Personally, I think it's a habit and not an indication of his present feelings. But Sam doesn't question it. She just gives him the comfort that he needs. "I'm here, Jack. . . . You can sleep now." They both can. She says goodbye and she's ready to die with him in one another's arms.

I don't think they were in love before this experience. After this, I think they are so ready to fall.

Last edited by hlndncr; September 6, 2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Tin Man

The stuff that fanfic is made of.

Not a lot of Sam and Jack here. I did notice that at the beginning we see Jack all casual and playful. Exploring new planets is still fun. Once he realizes what happens he becomes very angry and stays that way. Sam tries to help him and talk him down but doesn't ever really succeed.

Later when the truth is revealed the look on robo!Jack's face is just so heart wrenching. He realizes he can never go back. I think he really had found some joy and purpose in life for the first time in ages and he feels like it's all been swept out from under him. And the thought of living forever is horrifying to him too. I'm sure it's not something Jack has ever contemplated. (In the end robo!Jack dies in battle, which is what I think he always expected.)

I do think that the robots really didn't face an absolute tragedy. Yes, it was probably very hard for them knowing that they could never return to earth. But they had each other and in many ways they were their only family. (Sam is the exception I suppose, but she was estranged from her brother and father at this point; so really just as much on her own as the guys.) And of course, no regulations so robo!Sam and robo!Jack had possibilities that the real Jack and Sam had to wait years to explore.

Comment

Season One of the Rewatch is almost done. Please feel free to comment on any episode at anytime. But for your information, here is the schedule for the next season.

Season 2 Rewatch Schedule

Thurs., Sept. 1: The Serpent’s Lair
                          Fri., Sept. 2: In the Line of Duty

Mon., Sept. 5: Prisoners
                          Tues., Sept. 6: The Gamekeeper
                          Wed., Sept. 7: Need
                          Thurs., Sept. 8: Thor’s Chariot
                          Fri., Sept. 9: Message in a Bottle

Mon., Sept. 12: Family
                          Tues., Sept. 13: Secrets
                          Wed., Sept. 14: Bane
                          Thurs., Sept. 15: The Tok’ra 1
                          Fri., Sept. 16: The Tok’ra 2

Mon., Sept. 19: Spirits
                          Tues., Sept. 20: Touchstone
                          Wed., Sept. 21: The Fifth Race
                          Thurs., Sept. 22: A Matter of Time
                          Fri., Sept. 23: Holiday

Mon., Sept. 26: Serpent’s Song
                          Tues., Sept. 27: One False Step
                          Wed., Sept. 28: Show and Tell
                          Thurs., Sept. 29: 1969
                          Fri., Sept. 30: Out of Mind

Comment

Same here with the giggling quote. I always thought it was in reference to his broken ribs. Doesn't it hurt to laugh(among other things) when you have broken ribs? And he didn't want to Sam's giggling to start him into it. But then there are plenty of other overused things,IMO, for example, Daniel and coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                              Same here with the giggling quote. I always thought it was in reference to his broken ribs. Doesn't it hurt to laugh(among other things) when you have broken ribs? And he didn't want to Sam's giggling to start him into it. But then there are plenty of other overused things,IMO, for example, Daniel and coffee.
                              And the sidearm

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                                I think the laughing and/or giggling was about the injured ribs, as well. I have firsthand knowledge of how much busted ribs or seriously injured back hurts when somebody makes you laugh. It brings a whole realistic meaning to the term "It only hurts when I laugh"! More like laughing and crying at the same time. With a lot of wrapping your arms around yourself to try and make it hurt less ... not that it works, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                                X