No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping in here with some perspective about male officers, and the military's expectations. I got this mostly from an article I read a few years back, but it basically said officers are expected to be married. The officer and wife are a team. When an officer gets to major or its equivalent in the Navy, it's pretty hard to get to colonel and beyond without a wife, as the social aspect in important as well as politicizing behind the scenes, as possible. Not sure if female officers need a husband as much, but supposedly it surely doesn't hurt. Now some of this sounds like the business executives needing wives and the wives having no career except furthering the same of their husbands, and all a little anachronistic sounding. But it did make me wonder qbout Jack and how he might possibly be in quite a different situation from other generals. The SGC is so different I suppose it wouldn't make much difference about being married there, but when he gets to DC!! I've read a couple of fics with these advanced grade officers' wives being catty (though usually one or two is nice) about Jack and Sam.

So, military experts here, thoughts?

Comment

It's not long now! The 9th annual Ship Day thread will start in 20 minutes!

Comment

The thread ended not long ago, but it's still July 28th for a little bit more here on the west coast of the US of A... I need more ship in my life
        :Love:

Comment

Originally posted by adibenisrael View Post
          The thread ended not long ago, but it's still July 28th for a little bit more here on the west coast of the US of A... I need more ship in my life
          :Love:
          If you want more ship in your life, then come join everyone in the S/J Ship Appreciation thread here http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...ion-Thread-2.0
          sigpic

Comment

We haven't started the rewatch yet, so I assume the floor is open to general ship discussion. I hope this doesn't begin an arguement...I'm just feeling so darned shippy after yesterday. AND my birthday is in 36minutes.

I'm continuing my first time watch of SGA Season 4. I just finished 'Reunion'. In the beginning we see Teal'c coming to see Sam as she's packing the last of her things (it looks like in her lab?). You can tell she's been crying a little. Teal'c is his awesome self, but that's not the point:

We don't see what happened before this scene, and we see her arrival at Atlantis, but we don't see her departure from SGC. Very fertile ground for shipper imagination.

**I know not all shippers agree with me, so please bear with my active imagination if you don't agree: I'm inclined to believe Sam & Jack are already married at this point...way back to the opening of Season 9 of SG-1.

So with that shippy pic firmly in place:

The IOA asked her to take the post, and I am sure that Jack would have encouraged her to go for it. He would hate to have her gone for so long, but he knows they can make it, and it's good for her career, and she would be a good leader. This deployment would compare to our soldiers in RL who ship out on combat deployment for 12-18 months (sometimes longer) and don't see their families for the whole deployment.

So to get around to what I was trying to say: my fertile imagination has Jack in her lab saying a private goodbye prior to Teal'c coming in. There would have been kissing and hugging, and some words (he would have tried to elicit one of those signature smiles out of her with a joke, I'm sure). I attribute some of those tears to this...but I think she would have held them in (as much as possible) until he left the room (and being Sam, I think the tears we saw in the ep were it...our Sam is not a go-to-pieces girl). Perhaps Teal'c saw Jack leaving and is aware of how poignant this moment is for his friends.

I also see Jack standing in the gateroom during her departure, but as it would have been a much more public event, so perhaps only glances between them as she headed up the ramp.

Thanks for bearing with me tonight. I probably should have shared this during the rewatch discussion, but I JUST watched the ep.
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Sara dear, you are welcome to discuss anything shippy at anytime regardless of what may or may not be on the schedule.

And for a great Sam & Jack sy goodbye before she leaves for Atlantis fic, check out A Fluctuation in the Event Horizon by Rachel500. It's one of my favorites.

And Happy Birthday!!!

Comment

SaraBahama, Oh my you've got me crying now.

I quit watching SGA somewhere in season 2 but I do know about the scene from researching for making a video. This is one heck of a fantastic interpretation and, if you don't mind, I'd like to adopt it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                  So with that shippy pic firmly in place:

The IOA asked her to take the post, and I am sure that Jack would have encouraged her to go for it. He would hate to have her gone for so long, but he knows they can make it, and it's good for her career, and she would be a good leader. This deployment would compare to our soldiers in RL who ship out on combat deployment for 12-18 months (sometimes longer) and don't see their families for the whole deployment.
                  Apparently there's a deleted scene (which I need to find and watch) where Sam says that Jack, the IOA, and Woolsey all felt she was the best person for the job. So, even though they're married, Jack has still recommended Sam for the job of leading the Atlantis expedition.

Comment

And as it is now July 30 in some parts of the country, this is for Miss SaraBahama:

Comment

Wow all of you - such great discussions. I just rewatched Continuum myself & the fruit loops reference made me come seek this thread!

Personally, I think that as soon as O'Neill was no longer a direct CO of Sam they were together (married or not, I think that is generally down to each fans own belief system) but that the realistic reason as to why we don't have an answer is that they are both first and foremost doing their jobs, probably leaving little time for each other. I don't think that's a bad thing for them, as I think their history (& expectations of a military career) makes distance & space (literally!) fairly irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        Sara dear, you are welcome to discuss anything shippy at anytime regardless of what may or may not be on the schedule. And for a great Sam & Jack sy goodbye before she leaves for Atlantis fic, check out A Fluctuation in the Event Horizon by Rachel500. It's one of my favorites. And Happy Birthday!!!
                        Thanks for the rec, hlndncr...you are correct -it was AWESOME. Rachel certainly has a way with story development.

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                        SaraBahama, Oh my you've got me crying now. I quit watching SGA somewhere in season 2 but I do know about the scene from researching for making a video. This is one heck of a fantastic interpretation and, if you don't mind, I'd like to adopt it.
                        To be honest, I cheated. I watched the first ep of SGA and then skipped to Season 4 because I wanted to see Sam. I hope I am not disowned by my Stargate family .

I hate to have made you cry...I'll blame the crying on our couple to assauge my guilt. Of course you can adopt anything that inspires you! GO -CREATE! and when you are done, share with us.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        Apparently there's a deleted scene (which I need to find and watch) where Sam says that Jack, the IOA, and Woolsey all felt she was the best person for the job. So, even though they're married, Jack has still recommended Sam for the job of leading the Atlantis expedition.
                        ...and we know he would...he's so proud of her. (thanks for sharing that hedwig).

Love is so much more that the tingly feelings (though those are awesome). Tingly feelings fade, and sometimes we wake up and don't 'feel' in love...but true love is still there...it's a choice we make. And thank God that the tingly feelings do come back!

Jack sees Sam as a whole person -a beautiful woman, a kick-butt soldier, a brilliant scientist, a capable leader. Tender and fierce.

Dang...Ship Day really got to me!!! LOL.

Originally posted by Nessva View Post
                        Wow all of you - such great discussions. I just rewatched Continuum myself & the fruit loops reference made me come seek this thread! Personally, I think that as soon as O'Neill was no longer a direct CO of Sam they were together (married or not, I think that is generally down to each fans own belief system) but that the realistic reason as to why we don't have an answer is that they are both first and foremost doing their jobs, probably leaving little time for each other. I don't think that's a bad thing for them, as I think their history (& expectations of a military career) makes distance & space (literally!) fairly irrelevant.
                        Absolutely...well said!

And thanks all for the birthday wishes!
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Some of my thoughts on the last several episodes:

Momento Mori
                          Then at the end of this ep they make her an official member of SG1, and Sam says she earned it. For what? Getting amnesia? How exactly is that earning it?
                          I always presumed that Vala was getting the team patches to help signify her emotional development (kind of the whole "what is truly yours, let go and it will return" type of cliche) and that they were given to her as a general character development arc. As to why Sam was the one who said "you earned it" - I think that falls back to the writers unable to write female characters pretty well, so they just stuck the line on Sam as a way of developing a friendship outside of work/team duties between the two characters.

Comment

August 2nd: Stargate Rewatch! -We're on 'Enemy Within' right?

Early Shippy moment:

Jack's concern for Sam when Kawalsky takes her hostage.

I'm sure hlndncr can provide the pics???
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Early Shippy moment:

Yep, don't shoot, don't shoot moment
                              Though I have a feeling he was concerned more about Kawalsky
                              sigpic

Comment

Early Shippy moment:

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
                                Yep, don't shoot, don't shoot moment
                                Though I have a feeling he was concerned more about Kawalsky
                                I like the bit in the briefing room later, when he looks over at her and touches her to check she's ok.
                                The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Working...
                                X