No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hlndncr -so where's your commentary on these eps? Don't you normally kick off the discussion?

Here's a comment on something that's probably a little insignificant in the whole scheme of things: It always bothered me that the interactions with Ba'al after Abyss were not more hostile than they were. This sadistic (insert choice of explitive) guy tortured and killed Jack...repeatedly! When Jack spoke to his hologram in The Reckoning, I thought he should have had a lot more hostile attitude, and when Sam dealt with him in The Quest, there should have been more hostility (also when she dealt with the Ba'al clones).

The punch in the face was nice.

But it was for insulting her...not for previous grievances. The dialogue was not nearly as...well...HOSTILE as I expected.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
      hlndncr -so where's your commentary on these eps? Don't you normally kick off the discussion?
      I put up summaries of episodes on the scheduled dates to kick off discussion and then I comment on them myself if/when time permits.

Everyone is free to offer their opinions and insights on the episodes at any time. I gave us all this week to talk about The Quest and The Return.

I agree that everyone is too friendly with Baal. But he also isn't nearly as evil and chilling as he was in Abyss. (They don't even flange his voice anymore.) Like so many characters in these last two seasons Baal has become a charicature of himself.

I do think that while Sam was punching Baal because he was insulting her, I think she derived some satisfaction on Jack's behalf as well.

Comment

Some of my thoughts on the last several episodes:

Counterstrike

Really not a favorite. This is the point where it hit me that they never travel by stargate anymore. Here the team is on a planet, with a stargate, but they came to it by ship.

I’m totally bored with Jaffa politics because it’s the same storyline I wasn’t crazy about in S9. (You’d think they’d have learned to listen to Bra’tac by now.) It also seems that the amount of time and effort they put into the Jaffa infighting and breakdown of the Jaffa/Tau’ri alliance demonstrates how weak the Ori storyline is—because how do you show a compelling conflict with invisible beings on another plain of existence? Obviously TPTB never figured it out.

Once again they don’t know what to do with Sam’s character. So she is the fifth wheel, sent off by herself. And btw, Jack would never send Sam off alone when he knows she’s going to be doing science stuff and therefore be vulnerable to attack! And in the end her character doesn’t do anything but mess up, accidently putting up the shields so they can’t get off the ship until it’s almost too late.

And of course the worst part of this episode is the blasé mention at the end that Hebridan and more importantly Langara has fallen to the Ori. No mention of Jonas. No reaction from his former team and presumably current friends! :anger:

Momento Mori

This is a Vala episode. I’ve made no secret of the fact that Vala is my least favorite character and I think there are far, far, far, far, far too many Vala episodes in the last two seasons.
        I did read a fairly decent fanfic where Sam was the one to lose her memory, but I can’t remember the title or author. Oh, hedwig, queen of fic! Any ideas?

While Sam isn’t really in this one, again when the team does come in it seems Sam is the one who is really in charge.

As for the whole D/V thing, I am obviously against it. But I don’t even really see the attraction between them.

Then at the end of this ep they make her an official member of SG1, and Sam says she earned it. For what? Getting amnesia? How exactly is that earning it?

Company of Thieves

So Sam goes out with the Odyssey looking for another Supergate. Jack, can’t be happy about that. Whenever his team goes off on these little jaunts alone, something bad happens. And last time they went to stop a Supergate Sam ended up almost dying in space.

I’m not sure what I think about Sam’s vulnerability here. She sort of falls to pieces for a moment after Emerson is killed. I think Sam would feel deeply responsible and powerless. But I do like how she pulls it together shortly thereafter and comes up with the plan to save them in the end. (Although, again Vala gets to play the hero which really annoys me!)

Comment

The Quest

I don’t have much to say about part one. It was entertaining. Although, the whole team’s reaction to Baal just seems very underwhelming. This is one of their mortal enemies who tortured and killed their leader and friend over and over again a few years ago. Now he’s just a mild inconvenience.

The dragon reminds me of a hairless cat.

Now part two has some cool elements. The planet hopping idea was fun. I would have liked to see more of that.

I also really like the line where Merlin names the team as different members of King Arthur’s court. Daniel as Galahad, Mitchell as Percival, Baal as Mordred, and Sam as Guinevere. So does that make Jack Arthur? Destined to return? (If only!) I think somehow exploring that connection of our characters to the Arthurian legend would have been really cool. I don’t know how it would go, but I think there’s a much more interesting story there that was never told.

And of course Jack would have been so proud of the way Sam threatened and punched Baal. That’s his girl!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
            Counterstrike

Really not a favorite. This is the point where it hit me that they never travel by stargate anymore. Here the team is on a planet, with a stargate, but they came to it by ship.
            Could it be cheaper to fly by ship? With the IOA breathing down their backs, any cost-cutting they can do.... Or maybe it was cheaper than showing the kawoosh

And of course the worst part of this episode is the blasé mention at the end that Hebridan and more importantly Langara has fallen to the Ori. No mention of Jonas. No reaction from his former team and presumably current friends! :anger:
            I know! I was miffed about that the night they showed that ep

Momento Mori

This is a Vala episode. I’ve made no secret of the fact that Vala is my least favorite character and I think there are far, far, far, far, far too many Vala episodes in the last two seasons.

As for the whole D/V thing, I am obviously against it. But I don’t even really see the attraction between them.
            ::agees about Vala:: doesn't say much about the plot if my favorite thing was the way MItchell used the metal pipe to transfer the zat blast down the to th other end of the shelves

As for D/V - hey, no problem with Vala having the hots for Daniel, but I can see Daniel feeling, I don't know... protective? guilty?? because of the who burning alive thing. Which Vala could misread.

The Quest

I don’t have much to say about part one. It was entertaining. Although, the whole team’s reaction to Baal just seems very underwhelming. This is one of their mortal enemies who tortured and killed their leader and friend over and over again a few years ago. Now he’s just a mild inconvenience.

And of course Jack would have been so proud of the way Sam threatened and punched Baal. That’s his girl!
            I know!!!! Other than Dakara, did SG-1 ever really show there despisement of that Goa'uld? you think Teal'c would at least have to be restrained from exercising that Jaffa revenge thing fro the sake of the mission.

Adn if I was Sam, I'd punch Ba'al every time I saw him

banlu
            sigpic
            It failed to qualify as a cave, technically speaking, but Jack called it one anyway.
            He'd never been one for speaking technically.

Jaunt to Paradise - Spiletta42

Comment

The Return

So these episodes in my mind wrap around the events in The Quest. We have Jack visiting the SGC for the first test of the intergalactic bridge. (And I have to say that it is something I would generally expect Sam to be there for, since it is partly her doing.)

I have to believe that he and Sam get a chance to spend some time together while Jack is in town. It’s only a short time later that Jack is on Atlantis with Ancients asking for the expedition to leave the city. So in my mind, Jack had taken some vacation and is hanging out with Sam and the team for a few days after the gate bridge test flight. Then they get word about the Ancients and Jack has to end his vacation and head to Atlantis.

So the Atlantis team comes back and is at the SGC and various places on earth for six weeks. A few weeks into that Jack has to go back to Atlantis (stopping for a quick visit with Sam on his way out ) because the Ancients aren’t getting along with Woolsey. Then toward the end of this time period SG1 goes on their quest.

While SG1 is away the Replicators attack Atlantis and the SGA team goes to save the city and rescue Jack and Woolsey.

I think it’s interesting that at this point Sam is working with Baal, Jack’s nemesis, while Jack is working with McKay. OK maybe not the same level of menace, but still.

Sam is clearly on Jack’s mind throughout the whole experience. When the Replicator goes inside his head and asks what he is planning Jack responds that he was planning to retire. (I wonder how much he and Sam have discussed that possibility at this point.) And then of course he later talks about watching Sam cracking codes and tells Elizabeth that next time she should bring Carter.

In a way it is Sam who saved him. Toward the beginning it’s noted that the new disrupter weapons were Sam’s invention (in all her spare time when she can’t get away to be with Jack, which is where she would clearly prefer to be). It’s that technology that is used to modify the shields and take out all the Replicators in the city. So even from a distant galaxy, she’s got his back.

When does Jack return relative to SG1? There is clearly a time jump at the end of the Quest from when they leave the planet and the team is standing around Daniel’s office trying to figure out how to get him back. They are all too calm for word not to have come back to them that Jack is safe and Atlantis is back in our hands.

I think when SG1 returns Jack may still be in Atlantis, but the SGC has received word of what happened. So Sam comes back from loosing Daniel again to find out that Jack almost died (by his own order). They begin searching for Daniel and reassure Vala. Then, a short time later, Jack returns to earth to give Sam some much needed reassurance.

Comment

The Return

So these episodes in my mind wrap around the events in The Quest. We have Jack visiting the SGC for the first test of the intergalactic bridge. (And I have to say that it is something I would generally expect Sam to be there for, since it is partly her doing.)
                McKay actually admits in an S3 SGA episode that the intergalactic bridge idea was Sam's idea. I'm surprised he actually admitted it to anyone, but he did.

It should have been named the Carter-McKay Intergalactic Bridge, but of course McKay named it the McKay-Carter Intergalactic Bridge.

Comment

by jasminaGo

(Summary from Stargate Wiki)

Daniel is missing, presumably a prisoner of Adria, but his worried teammates have no time to lose in the fight against the Ori. Carter has been modifying the invisibility device known as Arthur's Mantle until it can shift large objects into a neighboring dimension, hiding them from enemy eyes. Now, over her objections, Gen. Landry insists that the highly experimental device be pressed into service for a life-or-death crisis: the natives of P9C–882, inspired by their leader Thilana, have refused a Prior's call to convert to Origin. Without help from Earth, they will face terrible retribution when the Prior returns to their village in three days.

The team travels to P9C–882. At first, Carter's device works perfectly: the entire village, with SG-1 inside, vanishes from the face of the planet. Unfortunately, the dimensional displacement field then collapses prematurely, rendering the village and its people visible again. Before Carter can fix it, the Prior arrives — with an army.

SG-1 and the villagers fight a losing battle against the superior force of crusaders. Carter, defending the device in the village library, is shot. Mitchell, finding her, activates the damaged device as a last-ditch effort to save the village, but it has barely enough power to cloak the library. Only Carter and Mitchell are hidden from their enemies' eyes, and Carter's wound is serious. As time passes, she urges Mitchell to accept the inevitability of her death, but he refuses to give up, searching doggedly for hope.

Outside, the triumphant invaders capture Vala. To her horror, their brutal commander is Tomin, the once-kindly man she married in the Ori galaxy. Tomin transports Vala to a warship in orbit, where he tries to convert her with stories from the Book of Origin. Hoping to remind him of his gentler past, Vala stubbornly points out the contradictions between the Book's compassionate words and the Priors' bloody crusade.

On the planet, having seen the library vanish, Tomin's soldiers suspect that infidel magic is at work. They demand that the guilty parties confess. Teal'c has been biding his time undercover among the villagers, but soon some of them, frightened and angry, betray him to the soldiers. He remains silent under torture, but Thilana eventually breaks and describes Carter's device. Even then, the Prior himself still fails to expose the library. Infuriated, he orders that the village be bombed to oblivion from orbit. Now, only Carter's scientific brilliance can save the day — if Mitchell can keep her alive.

Sam & Jack

Password: FISHING

Comment

[IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/hlndncr/Shipper%20Rewatch%20Banners/challenge1371.jpg[/]
                    by jasminaGo

Yada yada yada. . .

Sam & Jack

Password: FISHING
                    Really, isn't that the best part of the whole season????
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      Really, isn't that the best part of the whole season????
                      Quite possibly. Although I appreciate the wedding scenes in 200 from a fan art perspective.

Comment

Quite possibly. Although I appreciate the wedding scenes in 200 from a fan art perspective.
                        I do too. I just wish it was the real wedding they showed.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

My thoughts on LitS.

They get into this mess because the IOA is making decisions they aren’t qualified to make like pushing for a large-scale test of the Mantle device before Sam says it’s ready. I have to believe Jack has listened to her POV and recommendations and is pulling for her. I can just imagine how scathing he must have been with the committee after the whole debacle with Sam almost dying. (Personally I never thought the disappearing plan was a particularly good strategy because it really would require you to either remain out of phase indefinitely or precise timing to make it look like the village had actually been destroyed—which happened here more my sheer luck than by planning.)

I love Tomin and I wish we could have seen more of his arc. And Vala doesn’t even bother me here because she is serious and has a purpose in trying to turn Tomin from an enemy to an ally.

Vala does tick me off at the beginning when she agrees to the test and Landry takes her word while Sam is trying to offer some very valid objections. I really think Sam should have put Vala in her place. And I think Jack may have taken Landry to task for not listening to Sam when she’s telling him to hold off. (After all, Sam is a good little soldier so when she objects to orders she generally has good reason.) I’m reminded of General Bauer.

I did really like the village leader. She had such a great air of dignity and command.

There were a couple of things about Sam’s injury that didn’t compute for me. First, she was hit in the back. So why was she laying on her back throughout the whole episode? Wouldn’t that hurt?

Second, doesn’t it seem like she was tougher and more resolute in Death Knell. She was badly injured then and survived for what a few days while being chased by a super soldier? I recognize that the injury here might have been more severe, but she just seem to give up so quickly, when she has so much more to live for now.

Then I have to complain about Cam’s visit at the end, because those cookies did not look anything like Macaroons! A southern grandma would make good old fashioned coconut macaroons (I live in the south; I know these things ), not those quasi-French macaroon like things. It’s petty I know, but it annoys me every time. Yeah, yeah there supposed to be bad, but the ones Sam makes in AoT look exactly the same.

Sam & Jack

Obviously the password is a big hint they are together. Yes, I’m a little miffed when she mentions the letters and doesn’t say anything about Jack, but it seems appropriate she would single out Cassie. After all Sam would be the third mother she’s lost in war. No wonder Sam was concerned about her.

I think when Sam was brought back Jack would definitely be there. And they would spend some time together, probably with Cassie too, as she recovered. At the end Sam mentions that it’s going to be at least a few weeks before she’s back to work and some time (I’d say at least a couple of weeks) would have gone by before that final scene of Cam’s visit.

Comment

Don't forget the bit where Cam brings Sam coffee but tells her they packed decaf instead of regular. Sam's response is... "D'oh!".

Now...I suppose one could attribute that to 7 years of working in the field and 8 years of being at the SGC together, but I just find it odd that she never said it during those 8 years. Only now....
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                              Don't forget the bit where Cam brings Sam coffee but tells her they packed decaf instead of regular. Sam's response is... "D'oh!".

Now...I suppose one could attribute that to 7 years of working in the field and 8 years of being at the SGC together, but I just find it odd that she never said it during those 8 years. Only now....
                              So true. I think her phrasing and mannerisms become much more pronouncedly Jack after season 8. I think it's not just his presence in her life (I'm sure they talk and visit as much as possible), but that she is more relaxed and comfortable with herself and her situation.

As you point out, she has been around him for years, but it's only post-Threads that she begins to say things like "D'oh!" and "Ya think?" Suggesting that she's not just channeling familarity but projecting contentment.

Comment

By LadyGalaxyJ

Carter's dimensional-shifting device has shown promise against the Ori, but it still needs a lot of work. Accordingly, at Stargate Command, Carter runs another test on the complicated piece of technology. Unfortunately, her test coincides precisely with another test on an extremely dangerous power generator built by another Carter in an alternate universe. As both devices interact, an explosion kills the second Carter. Then a trans-universal bridge pulls the original Carter into the other universe.

Carter is trapped in a strange new world. Gen. George Hammond leads Stargate Command, and Hank Landry is President of the United States. The Stargate program has been public on this Earth since a Goa'uld attack forced the United States to endure riots and international anger by revealing its cosmic secret. Worse, this Earth is under an immediate threat of Ori attack: A fleet is only days away, and everyone fears that the planet's last hope to defend itself died with this world's Carter.

As President Landry hunkers down in Stargate Command for safety and billions of humans turn to SGC for protection, Carter steps in to save the day. In a spectacular feat of science and engineering, she hides the entire planet from the Ori's ships with her dimensional-shifting device. Earth is saved.
                                Overnight, Carter becomes an international hero. President Landry drags her to press conferences and swanky cocktail parties, using her to seize even more political power. Soon, however, Carter notices that Landry has seriously compromised American freedoms for the sake of security. The Secret Service carries Goa'uld torture devices, and elections have been suspended. Furthermore, Landry refuses to allow Carter to construct a trans-universal bridge back to her own Earth — because he wants her by his side as a figurehead for his increasingly dictatorial administration.

With presidential goons shadowing her every step, Carter seeks out two unlikely allies. The first is Cameron Mitchell, who's been confined to a wheelchair since his F-302 accident in Antarctica. He's deeply embittered by the shabby way his government has behaved, toward him and its citizens. The second is the ex-husband of this world's Carter: an eccentric, quick-witted and successful businessman … named Rodney McKay. Both men are very different than the men Carter knows, and if she can't persuade either one to help her, she may never escape from this world-gone-wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X