X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacrifices

Generally

Great review, Akamaimom.

I don't mind this episode and think it's quite a nice revisit to Ishta and her people. I love Bra'tac and Jack's scene.

Sam and Jack

And they're so back acting like a married couple...specifically that scene where Sam stares at him for him to get the message he's supposed to offer Ishta sanctuary, and where she turns him back after he stares after the women and then he takes her arms and begs her to find somewhere for them.

I think it shows that underneath the engagement, nothing very much has changed. They still love each other; still depend on one another; still have this close friendship. In my head, both of them have a mutually and never spoken about agreement to never mention the engagement at this point so while they're both conscious of the knowledge that Sam is engaged, both of them are effectively ignoring it in a put your hands over your ears and sing kind of a way...
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Gemini

Generally

Great review, hlndncr.

I love the idea more than the execution. RepliCarter is a fantastic creation (AT did a great job) and I regret that Sam didn't get to defeat her face to face at the end of S8.

Sam and Jack

I do think RepliCarter used her knowledge of Sam's feelings for Jack to get to Sam. She knew it was her weak link and exploited it; just like she knew her likeness and Fifth's feelings for Sam were his weakness. Did RepliCarter have feelings for Jack? I think she rather despised Sam's weakness in regards to Jack and didn't have much use for him beyond that.

For me, it's RepliCarter who really begins to make Sam question her decision to marry Pete. RepliCarter in a very brutal way tells Sam what Sam was trying to tell herself through the hallucinatory conversations in Grace: that she's scared, that she hides behind the rules, that she denies herself what she truly wants.

That coupled with Jack's own slip at the beginning with the 'if only', I do think after the immediate rush of guilt and recrimination over what happened (and I don't think Sam is entirely to blame for what happened; Jack could have pulled the plug but didn't and I think mostly they are somewhat lulled into security because neither of the other Sam doubles that have turned up have ended up being the evil twin), it causes Sam to start to question herself.
      sigpic

Comment

Prometheus Unbound

I think Josi needs a special round of applause really.

I'm not keen on PU although I think Vala as a character here where she's actually a 'Maybourne-esque' villain to be respected is interesting and fascinating in a way that was watered down a lot while contrarily being sexed up a lot when she got added in S9.

I do love Hammond and the B team aboard the Goa'uld ship though. Love the mouth-to-mouth scene and Reynolds' 'way to breathe, sir' relief.
        sigpic

Comment

Great catching up, Rachel! And thanks for the special round of applause - I gave myself Threads so I felt I should balance that out with officially the least shippy episode ever

I agree it would have been fab to have had Sam face off with Replicarter in the end rather than Daniel - it would have been much more satisfying that way, but then again, if Sam had been up in the great diner in the sky we wouldn't have had 'always'
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to do the same thing and do a multi-quote post, just to give some random comments on your wonderful discussion and reviews. Haven't been able to come here at all since X-Mas

On the discussion of male of female Asgard:
            My belief is that the Asgard don't have a gender system, and if they do it's certainly not the same one we have. Why would they if they don't have reproductive organs (inside or out), and therefor do not belong to a sex? Concepts of male and female should be irrelevant to them at best. So I don't think they identify as male. I guess that we have the impression that the Asgard are male when they are dubbed by a voice we recognize as male, which was always the case until Heimdall. Another factor could be Thor's calm superiority (which we would likely be inclined to interpret traditionally as a male characteristic) vs. Heimdall's bubbliness (a female trait?)
            Akamaimom:
            I'm pro-Walter, too. He makes me laugh. Of course, I think that in the end, MASH swung too far in the other direction, thus leading up to its demise. It got too dark and serious, with great far-reaching consequential stories that were depressing. So, I don't mind levity in my story lines. I think that's what made "Window of Opportunity" the genius episode that it is. There's a great build from confusion to humor to emotion that I adore.
            I like Walter, too. I think he works as the funny character, simply because he's not a main character. On the other hand I never had the impression that MASH got TOO dark and serious, there was usually that element of sarcasm or comic relief present, except in the really emotional scenes. I guess, I would expect different things from a show like MASH (for me essentially a tragic story with lots of gallows humor) and a show like Stargate. But as much as I love many of Stargate's running gags and its sense of humor, at times I wish it had been more gritty and realistic. Still a character like Walter having the occasional one-liner wouldn't get in the way of that. Just my 2 Cents.

hlndncr
            I agree that the first contact idea was good and I really liked the museum scene. But I think they abandoned that interesting idea for the less interesting Daniel storyline that was supposed to hearken back to the English Patient (a movie I thought was also boring and uncompelling).
            Funny, I found Icon insufferably boring and remembered nothing about it. However The English Patient was actually one of the very very few dramas/love stories that ever really moved me, even though the main characters weren't even that likable ;-) For me the similarities between the two stories are way too superficial that I would ever have made this connection. Interesting.

Now Affinity:

josiane
            As for THE question and answer... oh I love this! It's deliberately, magnificently ambiguous. I love how it could mean so many things, so many things could have been different, and personally I think it means all of them at least in part. But it's just so wistful.
            THAT. Although I personally interpret it as "If I was still married and had a family I would not be part of this program (i.e. I wouldn't have been suicidal about the death of my kid and would not have been chosen for the Abydos-mission)". I don't think that the answer is about their relationship, but the question at least in part.

hlndncr
            Yes now I have to talk about Sam's relationship with and the disgusting idea of having her actually accept his ghastly proposal.

hlndncr
            So Sam takes two weeks and has conversations with all her friends and still seems to be totally unsure (and pretty miserable really) about marrying ; she even gives him the “it’s not you; it’s me” line. Then out of the blue, while she’s on duty and in charge, she agrees to marry him and is all smiles and they have a rather disgusting snog in front of everyone. Now I know AT complained about that scene and a lot of the reason it was shot that way was time and money. But it is so unrealistic. I can see no character motivation whatsoever not just for Sam’s sudden decisiveness but her whole change of attitude. Marrying is suddenly the most wonderful happy thing in the world. Did seeing him in action convince her that he was the perfect guy for her? Really?! After seven years of going into combat with Jack where they are so perfectly in sync no words are even necessary? Has she become completely delusional? Did the bad guys leave behind an alien poison that caused immediate severe brain damage? I don’t even know who this woman is!
            I thought she decided to say yes to Pete and seemed happy about it because of Jack's lack of reaction during their conversation. He effectively encouraged her to marry Pete and didn't seem to be upset about this development at all. I'm sure she was very disappointed, but maybe also a bit relieved to finally be able to make a decision.

hedwig
            This just goes to prove that Rob Cooper has no clue how to write a good story for a woman. He took a strong, fairly well adjusted, smart woman and turned her into a "dweeb"? So the dweeb she was involved with could look smarter than her?
            yeah.

hedwig
            And then there's the issue of how "it's always been up to Sam". Ha! How can she even begin to make an appropriate, informed choice when she doesn't have enough information to do so? She clearly doesn't know how he feels about her, because he won't let her know. If it's up to her to make the decision, then give her enough information to let her make that choice!
            That! I get frustrated over this. On the other hand I love it, because it makes for so much angst, which I love!

On Covenant:
            I must admit I really enjoyed this episode. Personally, I'm sort of on the fence about the whole non-disclosure issue. There are good reasons not to let the general public know about such things, on the other hand I can't bring myself to see it as ethically correct as well. Tricky, really tricky. I guess what I liked about the episode was that I could empathize with both Colson and the military. The tension for me is in the fact that Colson is trying to uncover something about which he doesn't know what it is exactly. That makes it even more threatening in his mind. And once he learns about it he begins to develop an understanding for the way these things are handled.

I still find Colson a likable character. He is not a villain, although I agree he sometimes comes across more like a curious adventurer than a concerned citizen.

majorsal
            i haven't read all of the posts, but did anyone mention that it was originally intended that sam and alex had had a relationship years ago? i believe it's amanda that wanted to nix that idea. (hope i'm remembering this right)
            I remember that, too. It was cut, and the strange closeness between them and Jack's comment are what's left of it in the episode. It's … strange, to say the least.

EvenstarSRV
            Well, Jack's always been self-deprecating, and he especially seems to like poking fun at himself in order to get someone else to lighten up. But I think there's a long way to go from there to him fundamentally feeling inadequate or being unworthy of being loved by Sam. Jack's always come across as being self-assured in his feelings and abilities to me, he may not always act on them, but I've never thought he lacked any confidence in them.
            Ditto. He's neither in love with himself nor does he suffer from feelings of utter inadequacy. I think he knows where his strengths (and weaknesses) lie. In relation to Sam he just doesn't know if she has feelings for him, because 1. she's not very open about them either and 2. I don't think he's THAT perceptive. And nobody who isn't a freaking narcissist (the other extreme) would just assume without a doubt that someone is in love with them!

Gemini: love it.
            Promotheus unbound: good 'funny show'. I always liked Vala, but never really had the impression that Daniel did ;-) Expect maybe for Unending. Therefor don't really see the D/V-ship.

Nor carry on with the wonderful discussion!
            sigpic

(I don’t know who made this gif but I’ve always loved this lil guy since I started hanging out here on GW back in the day. Happy to give credit!)

Comment

my review of 'affinity'.

it was a piece of crap episode, written and directed by the brother of the actor that played pete, so there were 'agendas' behind the entire concept.

enough said.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                my review of 'affinity'.

it was a piece of crap episode, written and directed by the brother of the actor that played pete, so there were 'agendas' behind the entire concept.

enough said.
                Oh yeah!
                sigpic

Comment

Really enjoyed reading your "catching up" reviews, Rachel and Nefer!

Comment

Guys, I believe it's my turn to review Full Alert - alas, RL has intervened again and there's no way I'll be able to do it tonight. My apologies. I'll do my best to have it posted tomorrow.

At some point I also hope to do some quick catch-up with the episodes I missed; for now I just wanted to quickly add that:

Gemini

I know that people usually blame Sam or Jack for the whole RepliCarter fiasco, but while IMO they both showed some spectacular stupidity and short-sightness I feel that Teal'c is the one to blame here. Both Sam and Jack trusted him to be objective and honest and for some unfathomable reason that I can't make sense of he wasn't.

PU

Originally posted by hlndncr
                    Thanks for taking one for the team Josi.

Great job and I completely agree. (I'll just leave it at that for now because I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many complaints about the whole D/V thing later on. )
                    D/V ship is one of those rare and therefore precious things hlndncr and I completely agree on. So I second the above statement. I like Daniel. I like Vala. I just like them separately. I can't stand them together and their relationship has so many issues that I don't even know where to begin. (oh, who am I kidding, I do know; but that is a discussion for the General Ship Thread )

As to the ep itself, I HATE IT. It's my least favourite, most hated, absolutely the worst episode of the first 8 seasons. I have so many issues with it that I get angry just thinking about it, LOL.

IGTBK

In general I like this ep and find it enjoyable, but there are some issues that prevent me from loving it. The biggest one? As I'm a Jonas fan it rubs me the wrong way that he is so utterly forgotten and the writers went to such lenghts to pretend he never existed. I mean, here we have Maybourne meeting SG-1 for the first time since Paradise Lost. Since season 6. As far as he knows, Daniel is a shining white-ish octopus floating on another plane of existence (or dead, if Maybourne doesn't believe in ascension) and Jonas is SG-1 member. SG-1 show up a) without Jonas and b) with Daniel back as a human and Maybourne doesn't even bat an eye! There's no confusion, no questions, no nothing. Grr.. Such great opportunity to mention Jonas was so utterly wasted.
                    Last edited by Petra; 21 February 2011, 01:56 PM.
                    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                    sigpic
                    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                      IGTBK[/B]

In general I like this ep and find it enjoyable, but there are some issues that prevent me from loving it. The biggest one? As I'm a Jonas fan it rubs me the wrong way that he is so utterly forgotten and the writers went to such lenghts to pretend he never existed. I mean, here we have Maybourne meeting SG-1 for the first time since Paradise Lost. Since season 6. As far as he knows, Daniel is a shining white-ish octopus floating on another plane of existence (or dead, if Maybourne doesn't believe in ascension) and Jonas is SG-1 member. SG-1 show up a) without Jonas and b) with Daniel back as a human and Maybourne doesn't even bat an eye! There's no confusion, no questions, no nothing. Grr.. Such great opportunity to mention Jonas was so utterly wasted.
                      Wow, I never really considered that... you are right, Maybourne should not have known that Daniel was back. I guess the continuity writer was out that day. It would have been nice to mention Jonas... I liked him, too!

Comment

Okay, it's 3 am, I have to get up in the morning to go to work and my computer's just crashed - right after I finished my Full Alert review. Be kind, please...

Made by Aveo Amacus

Summary: Relations between the U.S. and Russia are strained when Russian military leaders claim that the U.S. government has been compromised by the Goa'uld.
                        *taken from GW*

Favourite scene: it's a toss-up between Jack finding Kinsey in his home and Daniel meeting Capt. Voronkova.

Favourite line: O'NEILL: Think of it this way. If you don't do what they want, they'll kill you. If you don't do what we want, we'll let 'em.
                        KINSEY: Why, that's as good as pulling the trigger yourself! I thought Stargate Command didn't do that sort of thing.
                        O'NEILL: We…ell, we're under new management.

Shallow note: Jack. is. HOT. That's all I'm going to say. Also, Daniel looks really nice in his suit and I wouldn't mind if he wore it in every episode.

Generally:

As I mentioned earlier, I love Full Alert. It's one of my favourite episodes this season (makes Top 5) and one of my favourites in the series. It's not perfect - in fact the plot is so full of holes that it makes a competition for Swiss cheese and in order to work Endgame had to be written *shudders* - but nevertheless it works for me on so many levels that I can ignore its faults.

Firstly, I like NID/Trust episodes. Or to be more precise, I like them in the first 6 seasons and think that this plot was resolved in season 6 and everything later on was just needless meddling. Full Alert is the only post-S&M NID offering I enjoy.

Secondly, I love to hate Kinsey and find his relationship with Jack almost as entertaining as Jack's with Harry. Having said that, I'm in two minds in regards to Kinsey becoming Goa'uld. On one hand it is some sort of poetic justice and the guy had it coming; on the other hand Kinsey was a great bad guy on his own and provided nice counter-point to the Goa'ulds, proving that evilness, arrogance, selfishness and lack of moral scrupules isn't limited to just alien races.

Thirdly, I do love to watch glimpses of normal, everyday lives of SG-1 so naturally I dig the scene of Jack returning from shopping or making plans for Friday night poker. And his house! I like his house and I wish it was shown in more details. Up till now I never noticed there were newspapers and magazines on the coffee table - guess our guy likes to read and be up-to-date with news, huh?

Then there are Russians. I never really paid attention to the guy playing Russian Colonel but now that I recognise him as SGU's Varro (yes, I know he also played in SGA) I gained new appreciation for him. Colonel Chekov is sympathetic and likeable as always, president Mikailhov apparently knows Jack and is willing to listen...the real winner here is Capt Voronkova though. There are no words to describe how much I adore her and how much I wish the writers brought her back. She's smart, strong, sassy, intelligent, competent, honest, self-assured, trust-worthy and she put Daniel in his place within minutes of their first meeting. She makes the already done (48 hours) plot of Daniel sent to Russia on a diplomatic mission more entertaining that it had any right to be. I love her.

Also, it's nice of her to point out that female names & surnames in Slavic languages usually end with "a" and have different form than male surnames.

Full Alert needed more Teal'c though. On a plus side, it's great to see Col Pendergast again and there's nice foreshadowing with Goa'uld!Kinsey's line: "The hour of reckoning is at hand." Yep, there's only 1 episode left!

Finally, I love Full Alert because of Jack. This episode clearly shows how much he's grown since the beginning of the season and his first tentative steps as the base commander. He's still willing to listen to advise and to talk things through with his team, but now he's more self-assured and much better at delegating and giving orders - even to SG-1. He's become much more politically-savvy as evidenced by his improved relationship with Chekov and clear respect of the Russian president. And now that he has to deal with a world-wide threat he's at his best military self: intelligent, smart (note how he doesn't play dumb, doesn't mispronounce names etc.), planning ahead but also cold and cruel, sort of. The way he threatens Kinsey in the scene I quoted as my favourite line gets to me every time. It's so casual, like he really couldn't care less if Kinsey would live or not. It's the moments like these that remind me about Jack's dark side and that show how he learnt to utilise it for the greater good/his own benefit.

Sam/Jack

Okay, I admit I don't see much ship. Jack and Sam don't share much time together onscreen and when they do they are at their professional best. There's of course Jack's bet about Sam having a theory which is kinda cute and their usual interplay when Sam explains her program increasing chances of finding cloaked alkesh, but that is leveled by rather cold way he brushes past her in the corridor informing her of DefCon 3 or his disappointment at how little she found re Kiselov. All in all, they act like a CO and his subordinate.

The most shippy thing I can find is that right at the end when he makes the decision to call Washington he keeps staring at Sam the whole time. Make of it what you will.

And that's it! My last review for the Shipper Rewatch. Once again, my apologies for the delay.
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

has any watched the extra bits in sga were sam admits shes with jack cause if you havent it makes the whole realtion ship clearer (well it did for me)

Comment

Originally posted by QKstargateninja View Post
                            has any watched the extra bits in sga were sam admits shes with jack cause if you havent it makes the whole realtion ship clearer (well it did for me)
                            You may want to take this comment over to the "S/J Ship Appreciation Thread", since this is the Discussion thread just for discussing the shippiness in the episodes in the order they were aired. Your question sounds like it should go in the other thread. We talk about stuff like your question all the time over there. And please feel free to join the fun and talking and stuff over there, too.

Comment

thanks i will do tht just joined today so only getting used to this stuff

Comment

Petra, congrats on your last review! And such a good one too

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                                Secondly, I love to hate Kinsey and find his relationship with Jack almost as entertaining as Jack's with Harry. Having said that, I'm in two minds in regards to Kinsey becoming Goa'uld. On one hand it is some sort of poetic justice and the guy had it coming; on the other hand Kinsey was a great bad guy on his own and provided nice counter-point to the Goa'ulds, proving that evilness, arrogance, selfishness and lack of moral scrupules isn't limited to just alien races.
                                I agree, on both parts here. Jack and Kinsey is a great relationship, and I find it an interesting contrast with Jack and Maybourne. There's no grudging respect from Jack towards Kinsey as we find with Maybourne, just flat out contempt. And the way the two of them (Maybourne and Kinsey) end up emphasises the contrast. Season 8 really focuses on wrapping everything up to finish off the show (as they thought would be the case), and I like that these two recurring antagonists get their last hurrahs in these two episodes. It seems only fitting that Maybourne, who has become more sympathetic than we could ever have expected and who is also now essentially harmless, gets to end up as King on some random planet, whereas Kinsey, as unpleasant and vindictive as ever, gets his come-uppance with his Goa'uld-ification - that poetic justice, as you say. Although I take your point that on the other hand, Kinsey was quite the good villain himself without any alien help

Thirdly, I do love to watch glimpses of normal, everyday lives of SG-1 so naturally I dig the scene of Jack returning from shopping or making plans for Friday night poker. And his house! I like his house and I wish it was shown in more details. Up till now I never noticed there were newspapers and magazines on the coffee table - guess our guy likes to read and be up-to-date with news, huh?
                                Oh me too! I crazily almost try and squint round the edges of the screen to see more

Then there are Russians. I never really paid attention to the guy playing Russian Colonel but now that I recognise him as SGU's Varro (yes, I know he also played in SGA) I gained new appreciation for him. Colonel Chekov is sympathetic and likeable as always, president Mikailhov apparently knows Jack and is willing to listen...the real winner here is Capt Voronkova though. There are no words to describe how much I adore her and how much I wish the writers brought her back. She's smart, strong, sassy, intelligent, competent, honest, self-assured, trust-worthy and she put Daniel in his place within minutes of their first meeting. She makes the already done (48 hours) plot of Daniel sent to Russia on a diplomatic mission more entertaining that it had any right to be. I love her.
                                She is pretty awesome

Full Alert needed more Teal'c though. On a plus side, it's great to see Col Pendergast again and there's nice foreshadowing with Goa'uld!Kinsey's line: "The hour of reckoning is at hand." Yep, there's only 1 episode left!
                                Oh yes, nice catch

And on all the rest of your review - yes, yes and yes
                                sigpic
                                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Working...
                                X