No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write-up, hlndncr! I like Inauguration too - actually I think it's my favourite of the clip shows (although, thinking about it, I love Citizen Joe too), and SG1 does have a good track record of producing clip shows that don't feel like clip shows and actually have a story in their own right. It could also be because I'm a big West Wing fan too and this feels almost like the crossover we never saw (seriously, with William Devane playing the President here and the Secretary of State in TWW, it's a practically an AU in front of our very eyes )

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

Generally
    OK, this is a clip show and a continuation of the rather odd line up before the big season 7 finale. First we have the “documentary style” Heroes. Then the X-File-ish Resurrection, and now Stargate does The West Wing.
    The design of my banner for this episode was not unintentional

Mallozzi and Mullie set out to write a clip show with as few clips as possible. They are able to pull this off I think because of the interesting characters brought to life through really excellent performances by an incredibly talented guest cast. There’s a lot about this story that harkens back to Disclosure. It’s a briefing on the Stargate program and Kinsey’s trying to take over. But it doesn’t feel nearly as flat as Disclosure did for me. The setting certainly helps. A grey room in the Pentagon can’t compare with the Oval Office. But I really think the quality of the characters and the acting give this episode a richness and depth Disclosure just doesn’t have. I’m strongly tempted to rank this one as my favorite of all the clip shows.
    I agree, and one of the reasons I like this episode is, much like I think I said when we were discussing Heroes, that I like to see the Stargate Program from the outside, to see the reactions of other people like we are shown here. Much like Heroes, it puts into context what SG1 actually do and how impressive it is.

OT White House:
    Spoiler:
    I just have to laugh at how shows are always doing these walkie-talkie hallway scenes in the White House, especially since The West Wing. And the director was upset that their hallway set was too short (only about 30 feet) to do the whole opening scene in one shot – until William Devane decided to slow down and talk to the statues. Well I’ve been in the west wing of the White House and it’s not as grandiose as you would think (except the Oval Office, which is very impressive). It’s actually quite small and cramped, especially by modern standards. For example, it’s really only a few dozen steps between the Oval Office, the Cabinet Room and the Roosevelt Room. That hallway set was palatial compared to the real thing. Nobody does walkie-talkie briefings in the White House halls, they’d fall all over each other.
    OT White House
    Spoiler:
    As an aforementioned West Wing fan I've heard this said a lot about their set too, and of course they designed it specifically to be more telegenic than the real West Wing (all those internal windows, for example). But being used to the WW set I found the set they used here seemed oddly bare - where was everybody?!

President Hayes
    This is a great introduction for a character that I would really liked to have seen more. He is very affable but with a strong inner core. You can believe he has the charm and charisma to win the Presidency and the shrewdness and self-confidence to maintain power and control. I can really see him and Jack getting along, and not just because he has no problem sticking it to Kinsey. I think that’s important because it makes Jack promotions and eventual move to Washington so much more plausible for me, and it’s a shame we never got to see RDA and WD in a scene together.
    I agree - I really admire Hayes as a character, he's completely believable and I think he and Jack would have got on just fine. He does get a great introduction here and in Lost City (him facing Anubis down in the Oval Office is one of the great moments of Stargate, but I'm jumping ahead of ourselves here ) and just is an all-round great character. I suppose they had to give us at least one good politician after making us suffer Kinsey for so many years

Sam and Jack
    Kinsey accuses Sam and Jack of having an inappropriate relationship that goes well beyond “respect and friendship.” His proof? A report from Dr. Lee about how upset and erratic Sam’s behavior was when Jack went missing in Paradise Lost. This makes me wonder what Hammond left out of the reports on the Za’tarc incident or the Entity incident. It just seems like there had to be a few more potentially embarrassing reports out there, but I just have to assume Hammond had their backs.

In terms of reaction to Kinsey’s accusation, it’s clear that Woolsey wasn’t going there. And Hayes even said they had a right to their feelings. I’m not quite sure what that means because actually, as Air Force officers serving in the same chain of command they don’t have a right to certain kinds of feelings. That’s the whole point isn’t it? But it gives me solace that when the time comes, he would be sympathetic to helping Sam and Jack keep their careers and still be together.

My reaction to Kinsey's accusation is to feel sort of uncomfortable because as a shipper of course I can read between the lines and see more than respect and friendship between them! This would be a much shorter thread if I didn't. But that means I'm siding with Kinsey!
    I do think it's interesting that this is the clip they picked. That it was the one incident where it was someone outside of the core team that witnessed the effect of Sam and Jack's feelings for one another. Whether Hammond was careful himself in what he reported (which his veiled reference back in Entity could seem to imply) or whether everyone else was careful to keep things from Hammond (not that he didn't know full well, but, to borrow the phrase from another military policy, they stuck to 'don't ask, don't tell') so that there was nothing to report, I don't know, but I do think that this episode shows us that there was certainly an element of censorship going on in the official reports, at least subconsciously. I don't think Sam or Jack or any of the rest of them did so with any intent to deceive or cover-up something problematic; rather I think it just fits with the way they all chose to deal with the elephant in the room, by essentially pretending a) that it's not there and b) that it's not a problem anyway. We see this attitude time and time again throughout the series - this just shows that it was reflected in all the reports. Because all they could find was Bill Lee saying Sam was uncharacteristically upset and stroppy.

I do think that for us as viewers, it is raising the question - we are made complicit, almost, because we do know the extent of it. We're getting Hayes saying what we are all thinking from a non-military point of view - it's not the feelings that matter, you can't regulate that, it's what they do about them. But of course we have also seen on many occasions that, even while they are both so so careful not to do anything, the feelings themselves do cause trouble, and perhaps they are doing the wrong thing by ignoring them so steadfastly. It's a difficult contradiction that we see the whole way through the series.
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

In Woolsey's defense, I did think that he seemed supremely uncomfortable when Kinsey brought up Sam and Jack and their "thing". I don't think that he would have had Kinsey not said something first. I think that he felt that there wasn't enough proof. Now, if he'd had other evidence--the "Into the Fire" hug, for example, or a transcript of the confession in "Divide and Conquer", Woolsey would not have hesitated. I think that witnesses were a huge part of that--nobody witnessed those events that would have put them in a report.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        In Woolsey's defense, I did think that he seemed supremely uncomfortable when Kinsey brought up Sam and Jack and their "thing". I don't think that he would have had Kinsey not said something first. I think that he felt that there wasn't enough proof. Now, if he'd had other evidence--the "Into the Fire" hug, for example, or a transcript of the confession in "Divide and Conquer", Woolsey would not have hesitated. I think that witnesses were a huge part of that--nobody witnessed those events that would have put them in a report.
        Janet and Teal'c both witnessed the confessions in DC. And as an Air Force officer that had certain knowledge that a senior military leader admitted that his judgment in the field was compromised because of his feelings for another officer under his command I would think she would be obligated to report it, especially where it involved an incident potentially involving a direct threat to the President. That's serious stuff. It's hard to understand how they all managed to gloss it over.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Janet and Teal'c both witnessed the confessions in DC. And as an Air Force officer that had certain knowledge that a senior military leader admitted that his judgment in the field was compromised because of his feelings for another officer under his command I would think she would be obligated to report it, especially where it involved an incident potentially involving a direct threat to the President. That's serious stuff. It's hard to understand how they all managed to gloss it over.
          My theory there is that Janet and Teal'c are shippers. Therefore, they wouldn't tattle.

That's why I said that they "wouldn't" have put them in a report. They could have, they just chose not to.
          sigpic
          My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            My theory there is that Janet and Teal'c are shippers. Therefore, they wouldn't tattle.

That's why I said that they "wouldn't" have put them in a report. They could have, they just chose not to.
            I agree that Janet and Teal'c are shippers. Teal'c wouldn't tattle. But Janet has been shown to be a very by the book person, who doesn't hesitate to report important stuff to Hammond. She's even said on a couple of occasions something like "I have to report this to General Hammond". In one case (I think it was the 5th Man), it took some heavy duty convincing on the part of Sam to get Janet to not report her findings right away. And even loyalty to Jack and Sam hasn't seemed enough for her to overlook something this important. So it's interesting that she apparently did.

Comment

Ultimately I would say the blame would lay with Hammond. I firmly believe that Janet reported everything (I struggle with fic that show Janet as anything other than an incredibly dedicated military officer - a military organization doesn't work if everyone disregards the rules on a whim or encourages others to do so).

Hammond knew that there was something more between Sam and Jack - if not in action - to the point that it compromised missions. That means that Janet probably made her report and either it was altered or disregarded. I can't see Hammond asking Janet to leave out portions of her report and I think had it come out, he would have firmly taken the blame.

On the other hand, they did all voluntarily agree to silence the foothold situation, which always really bothered me

Comment

My problem with "reports" is how incredibly fast they seem to make it to the Pentagon and higher up officials. It often seems like an incident happens at the SGC and an hour later (a bit of an exaggeration maybe) the report is in the hands of the NID or the Pentagon or the President. And not all those reports were made by Hammond. I'm thinking (but not too seriously, mind you) that given what happened with Martouf, somehow reports on Jack and Sam and zatarcs and admissions somehow got overlooked or diminished in importance. And the President was there that day and likely had discussions with Hammond at some point about all the goings on of that day. If Hammond did do something with the reports, maybe he just fudged them a little and said they realized they had inadvertently left out the bit how Jack refused to leave a teammate behind. Not appropriate, of course, but I could kind of buy that.

Comment

Catching up...

Resurrection

I'll be brief: in my bottom top ten episodes. I think the idea of it works more than the execution. As for shippiness: I think it's Sam who tells Barratt or comments that Jack is still off-duty with injuries following Heroes? (I could have made that up - I'm not rewatching this until I absolutely have to for Aftershocks). So, that's about the extent of it; a hint that maybe there's ongoing care and concern. The Sam/Barratt scene is interesting because it's the first explicit time he makes his interest clear and the first time she explicitly turns him down. Obviously this is repeated two more times (once in S9 and once in S10) as though to underscore Sam's lack of interest in Barratt as anything more than a friend.

Inauguration

Generally

Of all the clip shows it is my favourite because it does really act as the prologue to The Lost City and introduces Hayes who I think is a great character and makes a good President.

Of course, back when they first showed this, it was a major shift to making the Stargate universe separate from our actual reality. Up until the introduction of Hayes, the show had always gone with the pretence that this was set in our own time/universe and was about us as humans having to deal with aliens and travel to other planets. By creating their own US President, this subtly shifted the show into it's a universe similar to our own but its no longer really about us. Primarily, they had to do this because of plot elements within The Lost City which originally (when conceived as the first SG1 movie) would also have had the programme going public.

I actually love that Woolsey turns out to be well-intentioned and not Kinsey's lap dog here - and that it is Kinsey's attempt to smear Sam and Jack that actually is the critical breaking point.

Sam and Jack

It's been interesting reading the discussion about the reports. I tend to think that Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c - and every other SGC member - edited a lot of the personal interaction that happens out of their official reports because it would be considered not necessary to understanding the flow of events. So the majority of the "interaction" that creeps through can be written off as team-mate/friendship/ bonding. As Kinsey points out, you can read between the lines and get an entirely different interpretation (and I do think that the whole scene is a nod to shipping in general) which he has also done over the Lee report which presumably is one of the most explicit in saying "Major Carter was overwrought by the disappearance of Colonel O'Neill."

As far as the confessions in D&C go and whether Janet would have reported it, I think she is much more by the book than either Sam or Jack so I do think she would have reported something. But I think for Janet the defining point on what she would have reported would have hung around what she asked Sam in AHD "is it a problem."

Now, Jack stayed behind with Sam ostensibly trying to save her and wouldn't leave her because he loved her but, on the other hand, Daniel and Teal'c stayed behind and wouldn't leave their team-mates either. All of them effectively allowed their feelings for each other to interfere with their escape but not with the actual mission itself. Their primary objective of blowing up Apophis's shiny new ship would have been successful had they made it out or not.

Equally, while their subconscious editing during the recall of the mission means they get mistaken for za'tarcs, it isn't their fault that no-one picks up on the fact that Martouf hadn't been tested until they are cleared. That's an oversight whichever way you look at it. In theory, Martouf should have been tested as well as Sam and Jack, and all of them confined as potential za'tarcs.

So I tend to think Janet reported that Sam and Jack were retested, that the missing information was about their feelings and emotions at the time of their entrapment and that they passed the retest and were not za'tarcs. I can kind of see a non-conversation between Hammond and Janet where he reads her report and looks up at her, and they exchange a look where he knows what she means and she knows he knows what she means, and she's waiting for the question that will mean she has to tell him in detail, but then he sets the report aside and thanks her, and she knows he knows but he isn't going to do anything - and that's on him as the CO.

I do think Hammond was wily enough to "read between the lines" not only about this but in general (he knows enough in Entity to warn Jack that they're going to have to make tough decisions) and has made the determination that he's not going to act on it because keeping SG1 together is more important to the success of the mission than separating two officers who haven't explicitly acted on their feelings and done anything inappropriate and who generally do the right thing as far as the mission is concerned.
                  sigpic
                  Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                  My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                    So I tend to think Janet reported that Sam and Jack were retested, that the missing information was about their feelings and emotions at the time of their entrapment and that they passed the retest and were not za'tarcs. I can kind of see a non-conversation between Hammond and Janet where he reads her report and looks up at her, and they exchange a look where he knows what she means and she knows he knows what she means, and she's waiting for the question that will mean she has to tell him in detail, but then he sets the report aside and thanks her, and she knows he knows but he isn't going to do anything - and that's on him as the CO.
                    This
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep, what Rachel said!

Comment

I do think Hammond was wily enough to "read between the lines" not only about this but in general (he knows enough in Entity to warn Jack that they're going to have to make tough decisions) and has made the determination that he's not going to act on it because keeping SG1 together is more important to the success of the mission than separating two officers who haven't explicitly acted on their feelings and done anything inappropriate and who generally do the right thing as far as the mission is concerned.
                        Especially as what Jack said is that he "cared about her" and if Sam echoes that then the report could be worded in a way in which the interpretation of either friendship-love or romantic-love was valid - after all Daniel and Teal'c also remain behind, giving them cover in that area somewhat
                        sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I'm going to agree with what everyone else has said, too. Even if Janet had included the entire gist of the confession in her report, Hammond made the decision to keep the status quo.

Also, Hammond alludes to this in "Entity" when he approaches Jack with something like, "I know she's important to you." And Jack answers, "She's a very valuable member of my team." This is their subtle acknowledgement that a) there's something more between Sam and Jack than there should be, b) Hammond knows it, and c) Jack isn't going to exploit the situation or act on his feelings.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Banner by Jumble

Here's the thing. My DVD does not have LOST CITY seperated into two parts. So I wasn't sure where Part 1 ended until I checked the episode guide at Gateworld. So the first paragraph of this review is a comment on LOST CITY as a whole, not just Part 1. FYI

LOST CITY
                            The episode Lost City is a great example of the best of Stargate, imo. There is something for everyone! Great character interactions, adventerous team missions, political intrigue both on Earth and with Jaffa rebellion, and cool space (and Antartic) battles. We have our heroes being threatened, first by Jack's sacrifice, second by the replacement of Hammond who, at first, seems to be in cahoots with Kinsey and third by Anubis himself.

We start off with Jack on the phone with Daniel... Daniel tells him about a planet where he believes there to be an Ancient repository of knowledge. Jack, as usual, isn't paying much attention to Daniel. Instead he is focused on a crossword puzzle. He is so focused on this puzzle, and his wager with Sam, that he is late for work and completely oblivious at the briefing. It is true that Jack is easily distracted and not one to pay attention to details, but he is also a high ranking Colonel who is serious about his responsibilites as such. I know it was done for humor, but I thought his behaviour was a bit childish, even for Jack (imo).

Next is the introduction of Elizabeth Weir. I thought it was odd that Kinsey was able to tell her about the Stargate (in the limo) before she signed a non-disclosure agreement... but that's just a teeny nitpick. I liked this actress, she played good befuddled civilian thrown into a crazy situation.

SG-1 goes on a mission to find the Ancient repository before Anubis. It is found and Jack is forced to have everything downloaded into his brain again. Great visual effects here, from the head-sucky-thing popping out of the wall, to the cool explosions of the attack on the way back to the gate.

When Weir meets the President we find out that he is in the process of forming a new government division seperate from the Military and that she is to be in charge of the SGC.

Jack goes home for the weekend, and his team rallys around him in a show of support and solidarity, as a close family does. Great moments of ANGST for Jack and Sam as they struggle to silently express the feelings they cannot vocalize. Daniel and Teal'c offer comfort food and brief entertainment (no more Guiness for Daniel!) before the arrival of Hammond, who informs them that he is being replaced and the SGC is closed down for 3 months.

Weir arrives at the SCG just in time to welcome Master Brata'c with news of an imminent Anubis attack on Earth. Kinsey is being his usual asinine self, refusing to see the real threat because of his own self-righteous agenda. Weir does not let Kinsey brow-beat her and stands her ground against him, which allows SG-1 to see she is not in Kinsey's pocket and can be an asset to their mission.

Teal'c prepares to leave with Brata'c to try to find an available ship. He and Jack share a heart-felt goodbye and embrace as brothers. Teal'c then wishes everyone well as he walks up the ramp into the outgoing puddle.

FAVORTE QUOTES
                            I liked the conference room scene with SG-1, Weir and Kinsey.
                            Oneill (to Weir): And you are...?
                            Weir: I am Dr. Elizabeth Weir, Colonel
                            Kinsey: You can call her your one hope of ever stepping through the Stargate again
                            O'neill: Bit of a mouthful
                            ===
                            Weir: Maybe we can negotiate?
                            O'neill: For crying out loud that's derentis!
                            ===
                            O'neill: Let me make this simple. I come up with the Lost City, we go find it... yes or no?
                            Kinsey: NO!
                            Oneill (to Weir): Who are you? And why are you here?
                            Weir: I will consider it.

SAM AND JACK
                            Quite a bit of shippy Sam/Jack moments here!
                            Sam is disappointed in Jack when he spends more time on the crossword which makes him late for work. "The atomic weight of boron is ten, you wrote the word fat".

It seems as if Jack makes it a point NOT to look at Sam when he says "Good night my someone, goodnight" , but we all know he's thinking about her (at least that's what I think!)

The wonderful yet awkward scene at Jack's house where Sam says she would have done it and Jack tells her she is a national treasure.

When Daniel asks if they are inturrupting anything, Jack and Sam say "no" in unison.

Hammond tells SG-1 he is being re-assigned, Sam is the first to show concern for Jack. She says to Hammond, "But Sir, the Colonel doesn't have much time."

Jack says to Weir , "Time is relative, Carter could explain it better," Sam smiles at him.

Comment

Banner by jumble

Lost City Part II

Episode Summary

We pick up where we left off. Jack is doing his crossword when Daniel realises his substituting certain words and he's sure it means something. As they grab something to eat with Sam, Daniel realises that Jack has given them the address of a planet. Luckily as the SGC is still not using its Stargate, Bra'tac and Teal'c have secured a ship thanks to Ronan, another Jaffa. SG1 with the Jaffa all set out to Proclarush Taonas with Jack slowly succumbing to the Ancient knowledge in his head. Meanwhile, Anubis shows up in Earth's orbit.

On the way out there, in a discussion on the chain of command, Jack tells Sam he resigns in order to place her in command of the mission. Sam tries to tell Jack what she wanted to say at his house and he tells her he knows. They get to the planet and Jack points out a place to ring down to. SG1 go down and find a chair. Jack sits in it and identifies Terra Atlantis - the lost city is on Earth (they think) so Jack grabs the ZPM and they head back unaware that Bra'tac has had to deal with Ronan trying to kill him. Luckily Jack heals Bra'tac and he lives to see another season! They head back to Earth with Teal'c trying to convey his goodbye to Jack and Jack gently patting his shoulder.

Things aren't going so well on Earth. They've lost a destroyer, a cruiser and a carrier. Anubis appears in the Oval Office as a hologram and threatens Hayes who holds his ground. Anubis starts taking out satellites and Hayes regrets that he won't get to give his speech. Kinsey heads to the SGC and the Alpha site while Hayes has a job for Hammond: command of the Prometheus. When Anubis dials the stargate, Kinsey can't leave and tries to interfere with Weir's command; she wants Prometheus to help SG1. Hayes fires Kinsey and agrees with Weir.

SG1 come out of hyperspace and almost crash into the snow in Antarctica but Teal'c gets them straightened up and Jack's changes burn a hole through the ice which allows them to ring down as the Prometheus stands guard above them and a fleet of 302s (led by Mitchell although we don't know this yet) engages with the enemy gliders. With SG1 safely delivered, Prometheus heads to the sky to engage the mothership.

Beneath the ice, Anubis tries a last ditch attempt to stop them but Jack walks through the hologram. There is another chair; Jack puts in the ZPM, powers it up, and sits down. A moment later, drones erupt from the ice and fly into the sky; they take out the gliders, they swarm through space and take out the mothership and Anubis allowing the Prometheus to break off it's suicide run.

Earth is saved and the President calls Hammond to congratulate him but below the ice, Jack is failing. Sam begs Jack not to leave them and he tells them dormata; a stasis pod they discovered when they beamed down. They put him into it and he tells SG1 goodbye. He seems to look out at Sam as the pod freezes him. Daniel tells Sam that he thinks they're in an outpost but not Atlantis itself; Sam reaches up tenderly to touch the surface of Jack's stasis pod.

Favourite Scenes:

1. The moment where Sam gives Jack an order for the first time - it's so sweet and funny
                              2. The entire battle sequence
                              3. The "Please, Jack" moment

Favourite Quotes:

Daniel: Um…label. With those empty spaces I think the answer is supposed to be identification. Thirteen across is sphere. Jack, this is it.
                              Jack: Now, see I assume we still speak the same language. Mostly.
                              Daniel: Sphere…planet. Label…name.
                              Jack: Following…still…you…not!

Hayes: Oh please. I got enough on you to have you shot!
                              Kinsey: This is the biggest mistake you'll ever make.
                              Hayes: But I think I'll stick with my original thought. Which is shut the hell up!

Colonel: What the hell was that?
                              Hammond: That was SG1!

Sam: Sir?…Sir? His pulse is erratic. Don't you dare leave us now. We won. Colonel! Please, Jack!

Generally:

Including the first part, The Lost City is considered to be one of the best ever episodes of Stargate SG1 and I agree with that - it makes my top ten easily. It is a fantastic and epic tale, and frankly, I'll leave it to others to point out the various flaws and issues because there is so much to love:

- Hammond in charge of the Prometheus and guarding SG1, protecting them, backing them up as always.

- Weir (and I admit a preference for Steen's Weir) standing up to Kinsey and coming through for the team.

- Hayes firing Kinsey!

- Bra'tac surviving!

- Team love!

- Epic battle!

Sam and Jack

So, continuing on from Sam's attempt to connect with Jack at his house in Part 1. She continue that in Part II with the scene in the cargo ship engine room. He cuts her off again, and tells her he knows. There was apparently a scripted kiss but it was cut - and I agree with that. Even though Jack verbally resigns, they're on a mission, it's hardly the time to make-out. I love the scene where she gives him an order though that follows. It's funny and light hearted.

The primary scene, of course, is the end one where Sam begs Jack not to leave them (her) and he responds when she uses his name, allowing himself to be put in the stasis chamber to save his life. And she can hardly bear it, reaching up to touch the surface as though to touch Jack.

At this point, there doesn't seem to be any question that despite Pete, Sam still loves Jack and Jack still loves her.
                              Last edited by Rachel500; 15 December 2010, 05:56 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Excellent write-ups, Lucycat and Rachel, of what is a fabulous all-round episode. I always think Lost City encapsulates pretty much everything that makes SG1 what it is and shows why it's such an awesome show. There is something for everyone in it - gorgeous team stuff, humour, fabulous lines, lots of lovely little moments, plenty of ship, big battles, the fate of earth at stake, a big over-the-top bad-guy, plenty of mythology, a bit of politics, just wonderful stuff. I have to say though that I'm really glad it wasn't the series finale, as popsicle!Jack would have been a real downer to end on. Even with knowing that Thor comes and fixes him in the next episode it's a heart-breaking ending.

A few specific points to pick up on...

Sam and Jack

So, continuing on from Sam's attempt to connect with Jack at his house in Part 1. She continue that in Part II with the scene in the cargo ship engine room. He cuts her off again, and tells her he knows. There was apparently a scripted kiss but it was cut - and I agree with that. Even though Jack verbally resigns, they're on a mission, it's hardly the time to make-out. I love the scene where she gives him an order though that follows. It's funny and light hearted.
                                I'm also glad there was no kiss here, it would have felt out of place. And the staring at each other through the oscillating light is far more powerful - and a nice call-back to D&C.

The primary scene, of course, is the end one where Sam begs Jack not to leave them (her) and he responds when she uses his name, allowing himself to be put in the stasis chamber to save his life. And she can hardly bear it, reaching up to touch the surface as though to touch Jack.

At this point, there doesn't seem to be any question that despite Pete, Sam still loves Jack and Jack still loves her.
                                *nods* Exactly
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X