Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    Well the benefit to working with those arrogant, vapid suits in DC is that he gets to go home and snuggle with Sam.
    Or, speaketh she from the Cavern of Angst, he could do if she weren't so frequently thousands of light years away. But ownership is 9/10th of the law, and it makes her happy just knowing he's hers. And. You know. Reunion fishing is awfully nice....

(see, not always in the cavern)

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      Or, speaketh she from the Cavern of Angst, he could do if she weren't so frequently thousands of light years away. But ownership is 9/10th of the law, and it makes her happy just knowing he's hers. And. You know. Reunion fishing is awfully nice....

(see, not always in the cavern)
      Mmm. Reunion . . . anything . . . is always nice. Especially after a long dry spell. . . since, you know, Sam has been away on the Hammond . . .

I like a little cavern mixed with my fluff
      sigpic
      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post

<snip>

On the subject of the flashbacks, I do like that in this part we get Sam confronting her own memories - it's a nice counterpart to her having to recall Jolinar's in the first part. As to why she remembers this conversation in particular - I guess it's her concern for Jacob and fear that she's going to lose her only remaining parent that causes her to remember the aftermath of her mother's death. <snip> It's here, and in the vacation that follows, that that happens, that they [Sam & Jacob] finally become close again.
        Firstly, I agree. I do think Sam's flashback in regards to her own memories is prompted by the fact that she's reminded of losing her mother given the danger to her father. And I'd also agree on the stuff that you mentioned regarding Sam's arc with Jacob. When we first meet him in Secrets he's trying to make her happy by getting her the job she always wanted which I think Sam interprets as his approval/love being wrapped up in what she does, but by Threads he's more explicitly tells her it isn't the job, it isn't what she does that he's bothered about; it's her happiness that it's important and he wants her to have *everything* she wants. It's just a great arc.

I think it's interesting that all the flashbacks deal with loss. Sam - her mother, Jack - Charlie, and Daniel - Sha're. I think it underlines that a lot of the personal struggles all of SG1 go through (particularly the human members) deal with their fears of loss and how they handle loss.

This episode seems less shippy to me than the one preceding it, but we do get one nice example of Jack's protectiveness with the way he immediately steps forward when Apophis's lackeys come for Sam. <snip>

There's also one really lovely piece of framing, when Jack wakes up back in the cell after his Blood of Sokar experience. Sam's face is in shot right behind his shoulder on the other side of the bars the entire time he's speaking. She doesn't say anything - the conversation is between Jack and Daniel - but we are never allowed to forget her reaction and the concern on her face. <snip>
        I think that moment where he gets shot when he tries to prevent them from taking her is great and she does rush over to him. Poor Jack. I also love the fact that when he's taken to Apophis he is adamant that Sam wouldn't have told him anything. It just reinforces how much he believes in her.

Otherwise not a lot else for the ship. I do want to comment a bit on Sokar though - I always feel he had a lot of potential as a bad guy but kind of goes out with a whimper in this episode. I mean, seriously, he gets a half-season as the Big Bad. That's nothing! And he was so cool and freaky scary with his veinyness and long spiky fingernails and weirdly immobile hood. But never mind, he got blown up and we got Apophis back for a bit more. Oh well.

Oh and Teal'c is awesome in this episode too. We really see the loyalty he has to SG1 - he's separated from them the entire time but he never gives up on them.
        I have to admit when Apophis was resurrected from the dead I was kind of 'oh no not him again.' And to this day I think its disappointing that Sokar went out so pathetically because they had done a reasonably good job of building him up as a more dangerous Goa'uld than Apophis. In some ways I think Anubis was a Sokar reinvention.

I love, love Teal'c in TDYK. He's just so Teal'c. My favourite line is the one he makes to Aldwin at the end.

"I am as surprised as you that we survived."
        sigpic
        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post

I think it's interesting that all the flashbacks deal with loss. Sam - her mother, Jack - Charlie, and Daniel - Sha're. I think it underlines that a lot of the personal struggles all of SG1 go through (particularly the human members) deal with their fears of loss and how they handle loss.
          Oh great catch! I hadn't made that connection, but you're completely right

I think that moment where he gets shot when he tries to prevent them from taking her is great and she does rush over to him. Poor Jack. I also love the fact that when he's taken to Apophis he is adamant that Sam wouldn't have told him anything. It just reinforces how much he believes in her.
          I knew I'd missed another moment in my write-up I did notice that - the denial is so quick, so automatic.

I have to admit when Apophis was resurrected from the dead I was kind of 'oh no not him again.' And to this day I think its disappointing that Sokar went out so pathetically because they had done a reasonably good job of building him up as a more dangerous Goa'uld than Apophis. In some ways I think Anubis was a Sokar reinvention.
          Oh yes - even down to the hood and the bad skin It is weird though - they make such a big deal out of Sokar as this really bad bad Goa'uld the entire season up to this point and then suddenly they dispose of him with barely a thought.

I love, love Teal'c in TDYK. He's just so Teal'c. My favourite line is the one he makes to Aldwin at the end.

Me too But as ever with Teal'c, it's not what he says, it's how he says it
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Oh yes - even down to the hood and the bad skin It is weird though - they make such a big deal out of Sokar as this really bad bad Goa'uld the entire season up to this point and then suddenly they dispose of him with barely a thought.
            "I am Oz... Oh, wait... Never mind."

It's funny you should say that, because they look a lot alike, and a lot like David Palffy, too.

Comment

"I am Oz... Oh, wait... Never mind."

It's funny you should say that, because they look a lot alike, and a lot like David Palffy, too.
              Quite a remarkable coincidence, really
              sigpic

Comment

Sort of like Shifu. It's like hey, here's this amazing kid with all the knowledge of the Goa'uld, but PSYCH, just kidding, he's going to go hang out with Oma now. See you at the big waffle house on the other side. :: rolls eyes ::

Sokar is like... hmmm, he's like when you play video game and he looks all bad but when you him, he's a wuss. Instead of spending his skill points on fighting techniques and awesome weaponry, he spent it in clothing. And make up. Too much make up. And apparently getting a manicure too (did you see those nails??)

My only sadness in this though is that we never got to see Jack go at him. I would have LOVED to hear his snark at this guy...

Comment

And I think therefore this is why it's this moment that gets referred back to in Threads when Sam tells Jack she "almost lost him four years ago". Sam is not just coming to terms with the remnants of Jolinar in this two-parter, but also with her relationship with her father. After all, this is the first time she sees him since he goes to The Tok'ra, and there wasn't a whole lot of time for building bridges then! It's here, and in the vacation that follows, that that happens, that they finally become close again.
                  This is an excellent post, and I'm sorry to nitpick, but..It's not the first time Sam sees Jacob since The Tok'ra, but the third. They met again back in season 2 in Show and Tell where Jacob got hurt, and although they didn't have much time to spend together their relationship seemed to be already on the mend. Then they met again in this season's Seth and this time they had a lot of time for each other and rebuilding their family, what with them both going to visit Mark and all. Actually I always thought this is why Sam is so scared here: because finally things between her and her dad are good, they reached an understanding and just as she started to feel comfortable he may die. She's not "just coming to terms" with him; she already did that, much earlier.

And secondly, even if we assume in Threads she means the events of TDYK, the math is still incorrect; she would have to say "5 and 1/2 years ago"
                  There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                  sigpic
                  awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                    This is an excellent post, and I'm sorry to nitpick, but..It's not the first time Sam sees Jacob since The Tok'ra, but the third. They met again back in season 2 in Show and Tell where Jacob got hurt, and although they didn't have much time to spend together their relationship seemed to be already on the mend. Then they met again in this season's Seth and this time they had a lot of time for each other and rebuilding their family, what with them both going to visit Mark and all. Actually I always thought this is why Sam is so scared here: because finally things between her and her dad are good, they reached an understanding and just as she started to feel comfortable he may die. She's not "just coming to terms" with him; she already did that, much earlier.
                    And secondly, even if we assume in Threads she means the events of TDYK, the math is still incorrect; she would have to say "5 and 1/2 years ago"
                    Yep I know - we just did a viewing of Show & Tell in the appreciation thread (literally just now!) and I was reminded that Jacob is in that, and then I remembered Seth of course I was clearly having a brain-freeze at that moment I was just coming in here to say 'd'oh, my bad!', but you noticed already
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep I know - we just did a viewing of Show & Tell in the appreciation thread (literally just now!) and I was reminded that Jacob is in that, and then I remembered Seth of course I was clearly having a brain-freeze at that moment I was just coming in here to say 'd'oh, my bad!', but you noticed already
                      It's not "bad"- finding out new things is the point of a rewatch! Heck, I just realized Sokar and Anubis weren't the same guy, so there.

Comment

I'm just dropping off an invitation for an upcoming event:

Hugs to all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                          I'm just dropping off an invitation for an upcoming event:

Hugs to all!!!
                          Will be there
                          "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                          "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                            Firstly, I agree. I do think Sam's flashback in regards to her own memories is prompted by the fact that she's reminded of losing her mother given the danger to her father. And I'd also agree on the stuff that you mentioned regarding Sam's arc with Jacob. When we first meet him in Secrets he's trying to make her happy by getting her the job she always wanted which I think Sam interprets as his approval/love being wrapped up in what she does, but by Threads he's more explicitly tells her it isn't the job, it isn't what she does that he's bothered about; it's her happiness that it's important and he wants her to have *everything* she wants. It's just a great arc.

I agree - I think they realized what a good villain they had in Sokar right after they did him in. Anubis was silly looking in his big robes. Sokar was a thing of nightmares.
                            sigpic
                            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                              I agree - I think they realized what a good villain they had in Sokar right after they did him in. Anubis was silly looking in his big robes. Sokar was a thing of nightmares.
                              With Sokar, though, they were treading dangerous ground as he was pretending to be someone whom many members of their audience believe to be an actual being. Anubis is much safer, being the Egyptian god of death and the underworld, but without the risk of alienating large number of their audience...

IMHO, of course.

Comment

With Sokar, though, they were treading dangerous ground as he was pretending to be someone whom many members of their audience believe to be an actual being. Anubis is much safer, being the Egyptian god of death and the underworld, but without the risk of alienating large number of their audience...

IMHO, of course.
                                I like your point!
                                "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                                "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Working...
                                X