Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goa'uld probably moved all of the gates to planets because they didn't have ships that fit through the gate.
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

The whole gates in space thing seems a little odd to me.

Suppose you dial up a random address, get a connection, and step through to find yourself floating in orbit over a planet?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
        I am still hard pressed to find a reason for puddle jumpers in the Milky Way, like the one they found in It's Good to be King.

Spoiler:
        Probably most for its time travel ability, but that doesn't negate the fact that a vehicle is useful unless the only thing worthwhile on a planet is in immediate range of the gate.

Comment

I wonder how many people in the Pegasus have died trying to explore new worlds and ended up in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
            I wonder how many people in the Pegasus have died trying to explore new worlds and ended up in space.
            Tsk Tsk Tsk, I think those Ancients need to review their OH&S standards...

Comment

- Gliders can't fit through the gate, much too big. I am however waiting for the episode where Jack and Teal'c are fleeing a mothership in a glider and are being persued and have no option but to fly into the gate, tearing off the wings and having the main part go through and smash into the SGC blast doors
              - Puddle Jumpers do have a guidence system for going through the Stargate, Ford tells Markham in 38 Minutes.
              - Gates in space are a good way of stopping anyone from coming to your planet (And we've only seen two gates in space: the first Wraith planet and Proculas.)

Comment

Also, the goauld don't seem to have technology that allows them to remotley dial the gate, so if they sent the needle threader into a battle, then it would have to land, and dial the gate manualy, and then take off again, and maneuver to get into the gate, which would be difficult if there are death gliders and al kesh fireing on them. Also Anubis, Baal and Apophis had Iris-like defences on thier gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                  - Gates in space are a good way of stopping anyone from coming to your planet (And we've only seen two gates in space: the first Wraith planet and Proculas.)
                  It's also a way of helping the process of natural selection since stupid people will continuously attempt to go to a planet that has its gate in space.

Comment

I don't think the Ancients originally put any of the gates in space. It seems more likely that the Wraith put the gate up themselves so that no one would follow them back home, and Athar probably put the gate on Proculas in orbit so that no body she couldn't protect would find the planet.

As far as the Goa'uld building ships to travel through the gate, it is probably the limitations of their technology. As far as I can tell, despite the fact that the deathgliders have inertial dampners, they still seem to rely to some degree on aerodynamics to stay in the air (since I can't remember ever seeing one hover, thus wings are still necessary. In Into the Fire the wings were curved under into a ring, but somehow I doubt that is very stable and thus probably requires a very good pilot to keep it upright, little lone get it through a stargate. Goa'uld intertial dampners seem powerful enough only if they have the space afforded by an alkesh or ha'tak.

In the case of the PJ's it would seem that the Ancients aren't required to consider aerodynamics at all make anything fly.

Dinflo's point is also very good, although from watching Reckoning it would appear they do have the capability to remotely activate stargates, though for some reason they don't use it much.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordban
                      I don't think the Ancients originally put any of the gates in space. It seems more likely that the Wraith put the gate up themselves so that no one would follow them back home, and Athar probably put the gate on Proculas in orbit so that no body she couldn't protect would find the planet.

As far as the Goa'uld building ships to travel through the gate, it is probably the limitations of their technology. As far as I can tell, despite the fact that the deathgliders have inertial dampners, they still seem to rely to some degree on aerodynamics to stay in the air (since I can't remember ever seeing one hover, thus wings are still necessary. In Into the Fire the wings were curved under into a ring, but somehow I doubt that is very stable and thus probably requires a very good pilot to keep it upright, little lone get it through a stargate. Goa'uld intertial dampners seem powerful enough only if they have the space afforded by an alkesh or ha'tak.

In the case of the PJ's it would seem that the Ancients aren't required to consider aerodynamics at all make anything fly.

Dinflo's point is also very good, although from watching Reckoning it would appear they do have the capability to remotely activate stargates, though for some reason they don't use it much.
                      In Reckoning they rigged the DHD to dial all the gates when they activated the weapon. It was not done remotely.

Also the Goa'uld are still fairly unadvanced in the grand scheme of things. They may just be incapable of building gliders which can go through the gate easily. If they get to study a puddlejumper they might be able to figure out the technology.

Comment

Working...
                      X