The premise (and promise) of SG-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The premise (and promise) of SG-1

I am curious to know if a back-to-basics Stargate series would work at this point in the franchise's history. Though the show evolved in really cool ways over the years (in fact, I submit it's one of the best examples of cohesive world building and mythology creating ever on TV), I sometimes get a little nostalgic for the early format of the show, which to my eyes was modeled after Star Trek: TNG or TOS; each week they'd pick a new planet to visit and explore, run into unique problems, and overcome their character flaws and differences in order to succeed. I really liked that aspect of it, and the discovery of different civilizations. It's definitely something they tried to keep throughout the run even as the mythology episodes took over. SGA had a little of this as well, but from the start that series was steeped in mythos episodes. And of course SGU was very much a setting-based, "big idea" series that and IMO didn't get the viewers because it was something just too different from what came before - I am certain they had a mandate from SyFy to do a riff on BSG, and the result was not what many fans expected from a Stargate series.

So specifically, here's my question - let's say we lived in a world where Brad Wright was given the mandate to restart the TV franchise. Would a show about a new team of explorers going planet to planet be enough to carry the show, or would it fall short of what we as fans want when it comes to season (or series) long story arcs? Like maybe they discover a second network of stargates within our galaxy that went to planets not on the current system (therefor keeping threats "local" to our galaxy, but still getting away from past threats - call it SG-2 ). Maybe that specific idea is not right... but I hope you get what I'm asking.

I'd say a back to basics stargate could still work. We'd need a completely new line of characters that are different from the originals to fall in love with again. If they're too similar, they will just be pale imitations of the classic characters.

The story lines will have to be unique as well. SG1 and SGA covered a lot of different stories and we want something new and fresh, not a recycled variation of what we've already scene.

SGU's falling wasn't its departure from the basic stargate premise but its execution. If you read/listen to detailed reviews about it they all agree (and I agree with them) the biggest shortcoming were the characters, a problem SG1 and SGA didn't have.

The stargate has the potential for a lot of different variations. Maybe its a scifi adventure like SG1 or SGA. Maybe a crew gets stranded on a planet (or a ship in the case of SGU) and they have to use the gate to venture out into the galaxy and find resources. Maybe the a spin off can go for a darker and more horror theme.

All in all, I'd say a back to basics stargate would do well if executed properly (good characters and interesting story). That being said, if what made the original 2 series successful was applied correctly to a spin off that departed from the original theme I think it would still do pretty well.

Final thoughts: If they do make a new spin off, I want a new galaxy. We've been in Milky Way and Pegasus long enough that it doesn't have the mysticism it had when we first got there.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

So which galaxy would you like them to go to? What's left of IDA? Andromeda? The one the Ori was in?

Comment

The issue wouldn't be which but how and why? They wouldn't just send expeditions just because they feel like it. They would need to come up with a reason and a method go get there. There's plenty of galaxies to visit, a lot of them relatively close to Milky Way. Picking a galaxy would be the easy part. I put my virtual series in Caldwell 70. The big question would be, why are they there? And, how did they get there? Once, the writer can create a whole new play ground for the characters.

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't care if it was in our galaxy or not, as long it was a new threat that didn't depend (but did not throw out) existing continuity. And I'd like to see the SGC as home base again, which is why I suggested setting it in unexplored parts of the Milky way. That being said, it's relatively easy to write around the limitation they put on Atlantis, by having we humans on Earth figure out how to make ZedPMs... ahem.

Basically, I want everything I like, and nothing I don't

Comment

i'd like to see a different agenda besides exploring planets and such. i love that scenario, but i'd like to see something like earth deciding to colonize another planet, maybe even teraforming mars or something, and that be the focus of the series.

and new characters. but still keep the mythology and history that the other series set up.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              i'd like to see a different agenda besides exploring planets and such. i love that scenario, but i'd like to see something like earth deciding to colonize another planet, maybe even teraforming mars or something, and that be the focus of the series.

and new characters. but still keep the mythology and history that the other series set up.
              That might be the biggest question of all: will people like a stargate that takes a different path than the usual exploring planets? They've covered so much that they could do something completely whacked like making a superhero by having someone be near ascended and such. Or play on a horror perspective, so scary alien creature that becomes a continuous menace or energy being brought back begins haunting personnel. Or even a crime show. The stargate has already opened up a ton of interesting concepts, it'd be cool to see them explored.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X