Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant to say 2,000 LY, not 20,000 LY.

But I think we could even go up to 5,000 LY. Maybe even 20,000 LY. It's just a bit larger. See this image.
    Last edited by Lt. Col. Mcoy; 29 July 2010, 09:36 AM.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
      I meant to say 2,000 LY, not 20,000 LY.

But i think we could even go up to 5,000 LY.
      Fair enough, no worries

Yea if we set it up at 5,000 Ly then that would give us a reasonable territory that would contain plenty of planets. If we set civilian ships at roughly 2,000 Ly per day, then I think that would be a reasonable size.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

1-5 LY/min is sufficient for civillian ships.

that's a 16 hour travel to the edge of a 5000 Ly bubble.

but i don't think our colonies will be spread THAT far. at galactic speeds our ships can't get there within a few hours.

also, Abydos was annihilated. when the naquahdah veins ignite and stargate explode... well watch "Chain reaction"

Fair enough,but one thing I would love to see would be colonies set up on off the grid planets (that is habitable planets that don't have stargate.) Doing this gives them some added protection because the majority of the races out there wouldn't know they exist
        we happen to have a database of planets which few people have.

Heliopolis is most likely gonna be a research planet, and considering it's former use, it might even become a planet for the galactic community, for trade, convicting the goa'uld and galactic criminals and it's probably gonna be a place for galactic politics.

Well considering we saw it when SG-1 returned to the planet, I think its safe to assume that it is still there
        considering the gate was part of Oma's powers, i'd say the entire thing was some sort of elaborate dream sequence. you saw the explosion in Full Circle, yet when they return, they aren't in a massive radioactive crater but rather... back in the desert. well the pyramid is gone

Comment

I think if we have a 15,000 light year radius from the sun, that way we stay clear of the central bulge.

Comment

On another note . . . I may have just figured out a way to decode the planetary designations. More on this in a bit (if I succeed).
            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

On another note . . . I may have just figured out a way to decode the planetary designations. More on this in a bit (if I succeed).
              Well there is a map of galaxy with the planets on it somewhere, but can't find it atm...

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

nah 15000 is too much.

i'd say 1000 LY is enough

Comment

And 1 ly/min?

Comment

yes.

mind you that's insanely fast for simple companies.

i doubt even Tech Con has such fast hyperdrives

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      yes.

mind you that's insanely fast for simple companies.

i doubt even Tech Con has such fast hyperdrives
                      Well I would imagine civilian ships having hyperdrives roughly on par with those on Ha'taks before Anubis.

Comment

I'd rather keep the speeds in ly/min haha. I'm sure in the years between disclosure and 2025, the civilian companies employed those scientists and engineers that worked on reverse engineering the gaould hyperdrives in the 6/7th series of SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                          I'd rather keep the speeds in ly/min haha. I'm sure in the years between disclosure and 2025, the civilian companies employed those scientists and engineers that worked on reverse engineering the gaould hyperdrives in the 6/7th series of SG1.
                          Well even by 2025, very few companies would have acess to hyperdrives. A few cargo compainies would have acess, along with Colony ships (a possible ship that lands on a planet and brings everything needed.) Some research companies would have acess along with military compainies. By 2025 i would imaigne a few transport comapinies (such as Virgin or British airways ect.) would begin to get access.

Comment

Tom, the Tria was destroyed by the Asurans.
                            When?

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                            I think I made it clear that Shelton's family wasn't all hyperdrive engineers. Also, in 3.0, there were a lot of times where I referred to Shelton's educational upbringing and how he had studied under Mckay. He was always suppose to be the 3.0 Carter, which is why Richardson put him in charge of the Andromeda Alliance research group. The 5 Kelvin increase with affect sensitivity (hence if you look at say the Herschel telescope it has a lifetime of 3 years, because that's when the liquid helium runs out and we'll lose the sensitivity. I'm sure you remember Killman as well how Shelton was always at the forefront of everything that happened. He always wanted to be at the front, working with people and not just sitting in his comfortable office in Atlantis, New Mars, whereever it maybe. There would have been only a handful of people on the ship anyway, as it was a test. Same goes for the scientist and engineers. As I said, they all would have to be interviewed individually, so what Carter did was just a first impression evalution. It's only a first draft, but I can understand that some of you are concerned with the level of uberness, that maybe dragged through.
                            The problem is that any tie in between them would be problematic, since we started this fleet as a blank slate. If Shelton only alters the timeline, that means that the Navos are still in Andromeda, the Aschen have Talos and that other freaky chic, etc.

I just don't see any reason to connect the two in universe. It cuts across the grain in terms of what the purpose of this fleet is: a blank slate.

Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Bit ambitious for one little sector, isn't it?
                            I like it.

:"Major Marks, set course for Sector 42!"

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                            Fair enough,but one thing I would love to see would be colonies set up on off the grid planets (that is habitable planets that don't have stargate.) Doing this gives them some added protection because the majority of the races out there wouldn't know they exist
                            Except that we would have to provide them with Stargates, a colony without a Stargate is pretty cut off.

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                            Well even by 2025, very few companies would have acess to hyperdrives. A few cargo compainies would have acess, along with Colony ships (a possible ship that lands on a planet and brings everything needed.) Some research companies would have acess along with military compainies. By 2025 i would imaigne a few transport comapinies (such as Virgin or British airways ect.) would begin to get access.
                            Colony ships? Wouldn't it make more sense to just use our new super-cargo ships to deliver all the equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Except that we would have to provide them with Stargates, a colony without a Stargate is pretty cut off.
                              Thats not that hard considering there are 34 gates between us and the Pegasus

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Colony ships? Wouldn't it make more sense to just use our new super-cargo ships to deliver all the equipment?
                              Well thats basicly what they would be. Retro-fitted cargo ships.

Comment

but can they power those drives? i doubt companies are allowed to have WMD's

Comment

Working...
                                X