Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-S9 thread. For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not in favour of season nine unless they get some new writers. This season is pretty lacklusture and the way the female characters are written is not endearing them to me at all.

Comment

LOL! It's made up. Definitely. But I may not be that far off. I don't think I put in enough gratuitous sex, though.

Comment

RDA's limited cameos are part of what's destroying the show. In affect, his appearances contribute next to nothing except puting in a couple of supposedly funny lines here or there. Schedules are all over the place just to accommodate RDA's appearances.
        I think if he did only four fully fledged shows with a full committment-and not just be there as sporadic comic relief, then that would be fine.
        They NEED new writers desperately.
        One thing that started to irritate me was the Hitchcockian cameos by the directors etc. that seem to appear in almost every episode. If it was to save money on extras then that's pathetic and they should end the show.
        Otherwise, it just starts to scream of self- indulgance.
        I have this image of the crew looking at a final cut of a new ep with gaffaws around the room of "look there I am in the background of scene 7 he he he.....etc. One or two cameos are fine, but I don't need to see Peter Deluise & Co in nearly every crowd scene.
        It's this complacency and self indulgance that I think is contributing to a laziness in the shows stories.
        They definately need a new show runner as someone else said to shake them all up.
        I think I saw an ep that was written by the special effects guy!!
        That is just getting ridiculous!
        Will the tea-lady be directing next week?

Comment

I tend to agree with you. As difficult as it would be to induct a new writer so far into the series, some fresh blood and a new perspective is clearly needed. And, I wouldn't go so far as to say that NONE of the cast/crew should be allowed to stretch their legs and try out new things. What does it matter if the tealady wrote/directed a show, as long as s/he did a GOOD JOB! After all, I think Chris Judge has turned out to be a fair writer, even if Jaffa based eps aren't my favourite, and I also think Amanda did a nice job directing. If letting the actors try out these new avenues (with appropriate oversight) is how you keep them interested and energetic, I'm all for it!

I don't think (what I consider the lackluster eps of) the first half of season 8 can be attributed to letting current people try new things, but more due to a reluctance of the current PTB to LET completely new people in.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Hot off the presses! Here's the summary for what's gonna happen in S9!
            Daniel and Teal'c get reassigned to other teams (and you thought having RD
            Sam is away for the first part of the season- on her honeymoon with Pete. Jack has become increasingly nasty and short-tempered to the point where it's affecting his work. A decision is made to reassign him someplace where he's less likely to cause major damage: the Alpha Site. A recent attack there has left them without a commander. Seems like the perfect opportunity. Jack jumps for it.

A Bureocratic Jerk is brought in as a replacement for Jack. The BJ restructures Stargate Command, starting with some of the teams. Specifically SG-1. With Sam away and Jack not around to protect them,A gone would mean more "team together" time!). We get glimpses of Daniel's and Teal'c's teams. Daniel is doing well with leading his own archaeologic team, and Teal'c is doing well with his team, too. But of course, it just isn't the same.

Sam comes back and is a bit bewildered by the changes... and by the news that she's now in charge of s spankin' new SG-1. All her protests and attempts to regroup her old team are denied by the BJ. Sam grudgingly leads her new team on missions and we just start getting used to these new guys when a Horrible Accident occurs, killing half the team. If Daniel and Teal'c hadn't shown up to help out, things might have been much worse. Under building pressure from the Upper Levels, BJ allows Sam, Daniel and Teal'c to reunite as a team. But it still isn't the same as it once was, and Daniel and Teal'c both realise that having their own teams wasn't such a horrible thing, but they'd never say anything to Sam, since it seems important for her to maintain the past. And, ya know, the Glory Days WERE kinda fun...

Meanwhile, between incresing stress at work and building pressure from home, where Pete is pushing for them to start having children, Sam decides to visit Jack for advice. He's initially very cold and nasty, but then she breaks down in his arms. They have sex, which we get to see, because TPTB have no scruples left.

Sam starts visiting Jack frequently for "advice" and finding excuses to see him. This happens OFF screen, since TPTB may have no scruples, but they're also sadistic and only have four Jack eps to work with and want to squander his last ep in another way.

Daniel and Teal'c have a pretty good idea what's going on, but after initial attempts to discuss it are met with hostility, they give up and keep their mouths shut.

And now, for an interlude... Let's check out Danny's love life. Turns out he and Sarah have hooked up again. She's a little, um, messed up after her experiences, but Daniel is used to dealing with crazy, and the sex is good, so that's all that counts.

Teal'c still has his Amazon Babe (doesn't he?) or some other random alien hottie so they can make hot monkey love and have lots of broody looks and monosyllables which we're supposed to take as meaning they're in love.

Meanwhile, Pete knows what's going on with Sam and Jack, but because he's such a pathetic, stupid sod who's depsertely in love with Sam, until one day he just up and leaves, telling her it finally became too much and he needs time for himself to think.

Sam, for her part, actually manages to feel guilty for ripping Pete's guts out. In fact, she begins to realize she really does love the idiot, but it's too late now and she can find no trace of where he went.

BJ has also twigged to what's going on with Sam and Jack and even though the two of them have basically called it quits, he's bound and determined to stir up a huge controversy over it.

Daniel and Teal'c, working with their buddies from their "other" teams, uncover some startling evidence: BJ has been working for The Trust all along. And ya know how the Alpha Site suffered that crippling loss at the beginning of the season and then the disaster with Sam's team? And various other accidents which will be mentioned in passing? Turns out they all tie in to a Terrible New Threat... and to The Trust. But who cares about that?? Let's get back to the angst and the sex!

BJ escapes, but with Sam's help, Daniel, Teal'c and their cronies uncover The Trust's secret base... where they discover Pete being held hostage. Turns out his leaving Sam wasn't entirely his choice. He's been implanted with one of those mind probes and The Trust has been draining him for info. 'Cause, y'know, pillow talk about work can be dangerous. And then there's the whole Sam/Jack thing. Ya wanna know how BJ knew about it? He got it from poor Pete, who apologizes to Sam, saying he still loves her... and then he falls into a coma. Poor thing.

Finale will be a huge battle with The Trust and their Scary New Allies vs. Everyone Else. Jack actually gets to act like Jack again, and everyone gets a piece of the action, but things are very decidedly different, now, and there's still the fact that Sam's and Jack's relationship has been uncovered. That'll come back to bite them in the ass, too. But that's for next season.
            OMG much of this sounds very plausible. Is this really what they're going to do???!!!!

OTOH I think that a new head of the SGC sounds great, I think that Torri Higginson worked beautifully as the civilian head for a while. Maybe Atlantis can "become" SG-1???!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
              OMG much of this sounds very plausible. Is this really what they're going to do???!!!!

OTOH I think that a new head of the SGC sounds great, I think that Torri Higginson worked beautifully as the civilian head for a while. Maybe Atlantis can "become" SG-1???!!!
              I would hazard a guess that that is EXACTLY what TPTB are hoping for. *keeps rude comments to self* I enjoy Atlantis and I do watch it, but as of yet it hasn't pulled me in to the same extent that SG-1 has (altho SG-1 has had considerably longer to do it! )

Comment

No offense to anyone, but I think the fact that people can even consider that my "synopsis" might be real shows just how far SG-1 has fallen in the estimation of its fans.

Of course, I also love the show too much to make it TOO horrible. It probably isn't nearly horrible enough... *sigh*
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 08 November 2004, 08:30 PM. Reason: removing redundancy

Comment

No offense to anyone, but I think the fact that people can even consider that my "synopsis" might be real shows just how far SG-1 has fallen in the estimation of its fans.

Of course, I also love the show too much to make it TOO horrible. It probably isn't nearly horrible enough... *sigh*
                  I was just catching up on the thread this morning and thinking the same thing.
                  But it could also mean you've watched the show so much that you know EXACTLY what the writers are thinking.
                  Which may, actually, be scarier.

Comment

Hot off the presses! Here's the summary for what's gonna happen in S9!

<snip>
                    LMAO!!! Too funny! Thanks for that! (Didn't expect to laugh over here)

Now that I've gotten rid of the giggles, time for the real reason I came over here...

Season 9...oy...no. I'm done. I suffered through the last two seasons of X-Files and I won't be a fool twice. To be honest, I'm still not sure why I'm hanging on for season 8. I guess Lost City gave me hope of a return of good writing or maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist, I'd have to be to be a shipper right? (That was a rhetorical question Shadow )

The writing is already mediocre bc the PTB are stretched WAY too thin and there's no new talent on the horizon. Not that these guys didn't have their day, they just need to move on. As I said, the same thing happened with X-Files (for those that were smart enough to leave at the end of S6)--the writing got pretty awful in S7, Duchovny left (not necessarily in that order, I'm trying to block the details to be honest), and the whole thing went to h&$$ in a handbasket. By the time they brought in new characters, the Mulder and Scully plot had gotten weird and extremely sappy. Apparently CC couldn't think of any more cool things for Mulder and Scully to do so he resorted to giving us the worst kind of sappy shippiness, BLECH! I'm normally a shipper (I even shipped for them) but YUCK, it was awful!!! It was all too little, too late and VERY weak IMHO.

And I can't do it again. Sorry PTB, if you're reading this (doubtful), but I won't be drug through the mud again. S8 is it for me.

Now, if they were to reconsider and do a cool four-hour miniseries a la Farscape with a really awesome plot and some cool action a la Lost City--I'd watch that.
                    Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                    Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                    Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

I've also recently heard the idea that Greenberg's "announcement" may be part of a negotiating tactic, thus making us all their guinea pigs. I'm frankly a bit offended at such lowball tactics and don't see how they could use it as any sort of guage since online fandom makes up about 1% of the total (more or less) and I doubt that them announcing it would force SCIFI's hand and make them renew it. In fact, it could have the opposite effect.

Now & Again had lots of hype, got good rating, won lots of critical acclaim and TPTB designed a cliffhanger finale on the assumption they'd get renewed. Instead the show was cancelled and what comments I read from The Suits made it seem as if they were annoyed wth the producers for making a cliffhanger.

Here's hoping, if it IS a tactic, that it backfires massively on them and SG-1 doesn't get renewed.

Although I would like S2 of Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                        Though the "RDA in four episodes" rumor hasn't been confirmed, I think we fans ought to seriously think about what level of evolution / changes to the show we're willing to embrace. (Some of us already have, especially with the temporary loss and replacement of a regular in Season Six.)
                        While was sad when Daniel died (and I was), I was okay bc the writing was good and Corin brought a lot of energy to the show. It took me an ep or two to get used to him (he was different) but in the end I was sad when he left. I thought the show would have been fine with both characters (I like them both) and maybe RDA's absence wouldn't have been so keenly if Jonas had stayed on. Just MHO.

What if RDA left, mostly or entirely? What if they added a new regular cast member to SG-1, or to command the S.G.C.? What if two regulars left and two replacements came on? The X-Files is a good example; in the last two years it became as much about Doggett and Reyes (sp) than Mulder and Scully. And Dr. Who and his sidekicks have been recast umpteen times to keep the show / franchise going.
                        True and I did like Doggett and Reyes but the awful Mulder/Scully weirdness totally overshadowed any good that those characters did (a shame IMHO). I hated the Mulder/Scully stuff from the last two seasons so much that I am not willing to buy those DVDs--which is too bad bc I did like Doggett and Reyes.

If the setting and essential formula stays the same, would you be happy to watch the show keep going for another decade and evolve into an entirely new cast, new SG-1?

That's really the inevitability, whether it's Season Nine or beyond: Either some cast members will depart and new regulars will be added to the mix, or SG-1 will end. I myself will miss the original team when they finally call it a day (and I hope they do big movie adventures), but I'm intrigued by the idea of the same show going on with gradually-introduced fresh blood.
                        Ah, the key words there are "gradually-introduced". I think I could handle that. When Daniel Ascended, they dealt with his loss. Revelations dealt with the grief at his loss and Jonas wasn't around yet. Even in Redemption, they are still dealing with it to some extent. Jonas was brought to the team bit by bit (in two eps but still gradual) as the other three slowly realized that he could be valuable to them. Unfortunately, with RDA's small number of eps (though that is only a rumor it did come from Greenburg, his partner) and the fact that shooting has ended before they will have decided (so there won't be a setup for this in S8), I'm just not sure that "gradual" will be the case. Plus we had an ep (Meridian) to at least see Jonas before they introduced him heavily.

Anyway, just MHO.
                        Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                        Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                        Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                          You may be right about a negotiating tactic though. Could be that's what RDA wants--only four eps. If so he'd be joining David Duchovny in being a Prima Donna (we won't go there). There I've said it. As much as I love RDA (and I may have to reconsider that adoration if he pulls a Duchovny), if this is a negotiating tactic for more money, etc. then it makes me sick.

I very, very, very sincerely doubt anything is coming from rda's corner. rda has stated in interviews that it's not about money for him, it's about time spent with his daughter. And i don't think it's about money on the actor's ends, what i think is that it's a tug of war between scifi and mgm. Both of them like having the hit show, both of them know that it's a good revenue source...and both of them acknowledge that their individual profits will be more if they get the other guy to pony up more money.

In other words, i personally feel that any quibbling is between scifi and mgm and each of them are trying to make the other guy pay more, while each of them are equally determined that they won't be the one that pays more.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Though the "RDA in four episodes" rumor hasn't been confirmed, I think we fans ought to seriously think about what level of evolution / changes to the show we're willing to embrace. (Some of us already have, especially with the temporary loss and replacement of a regular in Season Six.)
                            I'm willing to embrace changes that are good, just not change for the sake of change. The trouble is we don't really know what they have in mind. Are they just going to try and eek out a little more money with the current cast and 4 episodes of RDA? Or are they considering restructuring the show to run several more years.

I think fandom has been pondering the reality of little to no RDA if the show continues for quite awhile. I'm curious how the more casual viewers of the show are going to react when he's gone for 80% of the episodes. We're well aware of the situation in Stargate fandom but when I see posts from more casual viewers on other general TV or scifi boards it's clear they still think of RDA as the star of the show (and to many he "makes" the show). Some haven't even noticed his reduced presence as acutely as we have since they may not catch all the episodes. I remember several reviews of the S8 premiere commenting that the show really came alive when RDA came onscreen (New Order II). I wonder if that's how the casual viewers (including those with Nielson boxes) feel.

What if RDA left, mostly or entirely? What if they added a new regular cast member to SG-1, or to command the S.G.C.? What if two regulars left and two replacements came on? The X-Files is a good example; in the last two years it became as much about Doggett and Reyes (sp) than Mulder and Scully. And Dr. Who and his sidekicks have been recast umpteen times to keep the show / franchise going.
                            I didn't watch X-Files but most of the comments I hear is how bad the show became after DD left. Everyone seems to think they should have ended it earlier. I'm terribly afraid that's what we're going to hear about Stargate because RDA, even when he seems to have "left the building", is still a strong presence on the show.

However, it they're going to cut the RDA cord and they intend the show to run several more years then they need to start phasing in some new faces. There are other charismatic actors out there who could bring a new spark to the show. I just wonder if they've waited too long for that.

The other concern is - are there enough compelling stories left to tell? They originally planned on Atlantis being the replacement show for SG-1, not to run along side it. They must have felt SG-1's life was limited with the current cast and RDA's desire to retire. I don't want them to continue the show because they *can*. I want them to continue the show because they have a lot more stories that they are bursting to see realized on-screen.

If the setting and essential formula stays the same, would you be happy to watch the show keep going for another decade and evolve into an entirely new cast, new SG-1?
                            Mmm......I admit I'm intrigued to see what they might pull together. In the same way I'm intrigued to see if one of those Olympic freestyle aerial artists is going to land on his feet or crash and burn.

My first preference is to get the occasional mini-series with the original SG-1 gang and let them concentrate on Atlantis for the long haul. As much as I have enjoyed the writing of Brad Wright, RCC and the others in the past I sometimes get the feeling from interviews and the episodes themselves that they are a little weary of the Goa'uld and the universe that SG-1 occupies.

ETA:Just read some of the recent posts as I was finishing up. I have noticed that MG has been the most visible spokesman lately. Haven't heard anything from BW & company at all. I suspect there' s a lot going on behind the scenes and some hardball negotiations are going on between scifi and mgm. However, I'd be surprised if RDA is the one going for more money; I think his desire to retire is genuine. All evidence points to RDA staying on way longer than he wanted to for the sake of the remaining cast and crew.
                            Last edited by keshou; 09 November 2004, 07:54 AM.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                              S8 is it for me.

Now, if they were to reconsider and do a cool four-hour miniseries a la Farscape with a really awesome plot and some cool action a la Lost City--I'd watch that.
                              Marimba, I agree with you there. I loved "The X-Files," but I found it unwatchable after Duchovny left. Yes, I liked Doggett and Reyes, too, but the story just got too wierd. However, I don't think RDA is pulling the prima donna bit that Duchovny did. Remember, first Duchovny insisted the show move filming to LA, THEN the jumped ship. RDA has been consistent for the last couple of years about wanting to spend more time with his daughter. I get the impression (from what? nothing, actually, just my impression) that RDA just wants out, but will hang on to help the franchise if everyone else wants another year.

But, like you, I'd rather see a mini-series, or a couple of Made for TV movies than a full season 9. If the show adds some new characters to replace--oh let's see, Hammond, Janet, Jack--possibly Carter for a while--then it may be good, but it won't be the "Stargate SG-1" that I'm used to. I bought all the DVD's through season 6, but I still watch the 6:00 p.m. reruns while cooking dinner. Why? because those older seasons were fun. But already Season 8 feels...flat? and Jack seems...superfluous. It's not the same show now.

So. I'm hanging in until the end of Season 8, then I'll bail. Maybe I'll watch RDA's four episodes. Maybe not.

Bucky

Comment

Speaking from the UK, Season 8 is generally OK so far(though it could very easily take a turn for the worse). However with both RDA and AT as virtual scratches for S9 they'll need a mega overhaul to get away with not cancelling. As in three new actors(one general, one older field commander and one junior officer. With probably one of them female. And possibly one of them a decent name actor).

Given that TPTB couldn't be ar$ed to hire a new face to become a new military junior officer for S8(OK, so Elliot shouldn't have been killed off!) then S9 is near dead cert a no-go!
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X