X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aurora and shipyard update.
    Spoiler:

more renders avaliable on casf.
    Last edited by Alx; 30 October 2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      maybe because there is not other light aside from ambient?
      No no ambient light is light that is already present in the scene, it is completely separate. It looked weird because normally in space there isn't any ambient light, and I put it there.
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        I know it's too late to say, but the more detail you add to this...
        the more I don't like the head of the ship with the Prometheus like ledge jutting out.

Dear, Merlin

I just want to say that this is one of the truly unique ships on the thread but that ledge makes it look like a dinosaur and derivative of Prometheus. I know the Prometheus is a good design but all roads don't start and stop there. Every part of this ship is unique except for that one piece. Yes, it is a bit of a homage but your talents are readily apparent to everyone including me. You don't need tribute Prometheus here.

I've already made drawings with this head to see what it looks like without it and they are bland. It revealed to me that the head is somewhat blank in shape without it, very square from the plan view, especially the rear part of the head. This a stark contrast to the shapes you chose for the rest of the ship.

This ship has a strong identity and a design that well reflects it's designer.
        I truely believe some thing different and complementary can be done at the nose of this to complete what I see as Motion Picture Worthy Design.

(feel free to circular file this opinion)
        What ledge?

sigpic

Comment

Spaceship Render

it's incomplete. due to complications with my computer, this took 1.5 hours to render

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
            What ledge?
            The one on the head of the ship jutting forward.

Comment

Athena
              Spoiler:

I added this ledge to my vessel, I assume the ledge you refer to is the "nose" on the head of the ship. The 304 has this structure to house sensors, its a design feature that helps people that see my ship align it to the Stargate univese.
              Last edited by Merlin1701; 01 November 2009, 01:49 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Otherwise it looks kind of... wierd.

Nice work here. I missed quite a few thread updates so I'll just say everything is good.

Killman: Nice work there, blender seems to be a nice software.
                Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                  Athena
                  Spoiler:

I added this ledge to my vessel, I assume the ledge you refer to is the "nose" on the head of the ship. The 304 has this structure to house sensors, its a design feature that helps people that see my ship align it to the Stargate univese.
                  I know. I could tell.
                  But honestly it doesn't need it. Normally I wouldn't say it mattered.
                  Yet this design is so good, I feel it should be allowed to stand on it's own. Normally, I'd say it doesn't hurt but this time it actually takes away from the design.

I call it a brachiosaurus head.
                  On the Daedalus it helps to signifies the head of the vessel, artistically speaking. It even gives the ship a face, (so to speak). But on Athena, it's too long, it pulls inward giving it a snout and doesn't follow the more noticeable angles in the area rather it emphasizes the the flat nose of the ship or the true bow and that's so small it shouldn't be noticeable.

Essentially, I see a graceful design of strong perpendiculars.
                  Reducing the ledge down to the blue strip and giving a vertical or and aerodynamically acute line might extend the grace forward to the vehicles head while maintaining a similarity yet receding it's dependence on the Daedalus style.

Note Daedalus and Prometheus have little in common but the angled nose, yet they still look like part of the same fleet. Why?

Just as there is a Star Trek Style: Nacelles, Saucer, Pylons Secondar Hull
                  There is a stargate style: Head, Thick Neck or Fuselage, Side Wings, Tower in a 3-point stance. (In other words it's designed kinda like an aircraft, jet.)

Daedalus had Fighter Bay side wings.
                  Prometheus had Perhaps :fighter bay, Hyper-drive Side Wings

Athena doesn't depart the style but it does extend the 3 point stance into a more Ancients Cruiser Design, It's a natural progression. The 3 point stance is done to distribute the mass away from the center of gravity for landings and both Prometheus and Daedalus are capable of landing and take-off.

While the Ancients ships could do the same, it may signify better stabilization technology or that the humans are still in a thinking pattern that is terrestrial.

Anyway this design definitely takes the lead over. You and ALX show a real talent for creative design as well as applied knowledge and skill. Don't be wary of leaving behind the familiar it can only help your own creative progress.

Comment

actually Deadalus looks like a Jet. prometheus always looked like a Submarine to me.

in stargate, it's either obvious something can fly or totally NOT obvious. IE, Deadalus VS Ha'tak.

Comment

who ever thought the piraminds flew was a bloody genious.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        actually Deadalus looks like a Jet. prometheus always looked like a Submarine to me.

in stargate, it's either obvious something can fly or totally NOT obvious. IE, Deadalus VS Ha'tak.

Yeah I'd go with that.
                        Its something of a cross between a conning tower or flight control tower, in fact they both do.

I think it's more than possible to be completely original and still stay within the universes genre.

Comment

who ever thought the piraminds flew was a bloody genious.
                          i'm not sure what to think of this.

what i mean is, it is either obvious it can fly (big engines, boat or jet shaped) or totally NOT obvious, IE pyramids, cities, the ori ships.

Comment

I agree with you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry was away for the week...

Saquist you make a few really good points, I'm half asleep atm so will read through it again and see if I understand what you would like me to do with the sensor hub tomorrow.

Cheers again for the great comments, I feel you really understand my points on the design but also the concept for universe common factors.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                                Aurora update:
                                Spoiler:

as usual thoughts comments critique all welcome.
                                As you said thoughts are welcome... how about adding a second arm to it? The one and only thing I don't like in the Auroras is that they are not simetric (is this spelt correctly?). Other than that, the ship is awesome.

Of course, if your goal is to be 100% fidel, go ahead because your work is great nonetheless
                                One Ring to rule the Dark Side
                                sigpic
                                Sith Nazghul

Comment

Working...
                                X