Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also helps to sort out the meshes you don't want anymore....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Experiement 442 View Post
      Have you not seen some modeler's fleets my friend? A few people have nearly everything and go back to them to change something, sometimes twice' *cough* SDL *cough* ' I've restarted my fleet after my computer was killed off so i've got the firestorm class cruiser, the Aria class flagship... I need to expand on my fleet somewhat...
      Originally posted by Alx View Post
      i currently have a quite large diverse fleet with specialized vessels aswell as multifunctinal vessels but IMO multifunction is the way to go!

i would like to think that being prepared for any and all scenerios is a good thing also having a large fleet cruising around with say a carrier two destroyers and other smaller support vessels is hardly cost effective in the long run and sending a sole single purpose vessel into space (witch is basicly hostile territory when you think about it) doesnt seem like an awesome idea to me..

But you make a good point and a large diverse fleet is always more fun then a small one
      I've been looking at everyones designs to get ideas but I want to go away from Daedalus just bit, I've always favored Battleships so I wanted something fierce and proud.

I'd would reallly like to see what everyone else came up with just to get ideas. If anyone has other links to some of the fan designs I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Saquist - I will try and run a render of the rear this evening.

Alx - Its a great start on that ship...what is its role within your fleet. Do you render your ships? If not give kerkythea a go, or podium.

I will ignore the thorny subject of the problems in the middle east as we dont a war on the boards; keeping on track the reason we create ships to have the look of stargate established ships is to ensure the ship is understood by anyone else to be part of the stargate universe.

When creating a ship its purpose is also part of the design but the shape and look of it is also very important. When I design a stargate ship I always start with a head, a neck and hanger wings. My Hermes class destroyer has side wings jutting off the neck but they are not hangers.

The ship has a hanger at the rear for a small craft to surface transport and to little hangers on each high rise wing to hold a single penthetor class fighter. I may produce some more renders of the Hermes when I have time. I still have to finish her and the Orpheus and the Triton and the shipyard and the Poseidon bomber too much to do...

It's the same principle to design a stargate ship, nacelles, large front, small middle. I so wanted to see a startrek voyager movie...

sigpic

Comment

Kai, this is my first post here, actually first post in the forum, so correct me if i make any mistakes or accidently rip off anyones previous works.

my idea for a ship:

X-305 Weir Class Deep Space Crusier

Structural breif: About 3 times the size of the Dedaelus at 635 meters in length and just over 300 in hight, measuring from the lowest point on the ventral hull to the top of the spire on the bridge. Bridge tower is about the size of a four story building, and is at the center of the ship. other features include new 302 bays that feature 2 doors, one in the front, one in the back, allowing fighters to depart and return from the vessel with support fire.

Hyperdrive systems and power generation: the hyperdrive of the Weir class is a new combination of Go'uald, Asgard, Asuran and Human hyperdrive systems. this new "combi-drive" as the crew calls it is twice as fast as a dedaelus hyperdive, able to cross the distance between earth and atlantis in one week, and if powered by a ZED-PM, just under 36 hours. power is normally provided by a ZED-PM, though 6 mark 12 naquadah generators can provide back up power if needed.

Fighter Compliment: The weir class can carry up to 30 fighters of various types. at present, the Archangel carries 25 302's and 5 puddle jumpers to provide fighter support.

Weapons: The weir class is equiped with either upgraded or all new weapon systems compared to the dedaeuls. the most significant new weapon system is a compliment of Ancient Drone Weapons. the lead designer of the ship sucessfully devised a way to mount drone launchers on a crusier size vessel, allowing the Weir class to carry up to 250 drones. other weapons systems include a newly upgraded Asgard beam, which is twice as powerfull as the original beam, 8 new railgun mk.2 turrets designed for anti crusier fire, 50 railgun mk.1 turrets for anti fighter duties and finally the horizon missile platform. although not a ship to ship weapon, the weir class will also carry 5 mk.10 GB2's (Gate Buster 2) if needed.

Defences: The Weir Class hull is made of a compiste tirnium/nutronium alloy, which is much stronger then the Deadaelus class. It is also equpied with a new type of energy sheilding developed by Tokra and Human scientists that uses the energy of enemy weapons fire to power the shield, therotically making them impregnable.

Crew: The Weir class takes a crew of 1000 people. due to a dispute between russia and the u.s over controll of the first ship, the command staff consists of a Canadian Commander, a Russian XO and an American Weapons officer, commanding an international crew. to further reduce tensions, rather then report to a military body, the Weir will report to IOA.

(tell me how i did or if i miss anything )

Comment

Originally posted by RAD1 View Post
            Kai, this is my first post here, actually first post in the forum, so correct me if i make any mistakes or accidently rip off anyones previous works.

my idea for a ship:

Structural breif: About 3 times the size of the Dedaelus at 635 meters in length and just over 300 in hight, measuring from the lowest point on the ventral hull to the top of the spire on the bridge. Bridge tower is about the size of a four story building, and is at the center of the ship. other features include new 302 bays that feature 2 doors, one in the front, one in the back, allowing fighters to depart and return from the vessel with support fire.

Hyperdrive systems and power generation: the hyperdrive of the Weir class is a new combination of Go'uald, Asgard, Asuran and Human hyperdrive systems. this new "combi-drive" as the crew calls it is twice as fast as a dedaelus hyperdive, able to cross the distance between earth and atlantis in one week, and if powered by a ZED-PM, just under 36 hours. power is normally provided by a ZED-PM, though 6 mark 12 naquadah generators can provide back up power if needed.

Fighter Compliment: The weir class can carry up to 30 fighters of various types. at present, the Archangel carries 25 302's and 5 puddle jumpers to provide fighter support.

Weapons: The weir class is equiped with either upgraded or all new weapon systems compared to the dedaeuls. the most significant new weapon system is a compliment of Ancient Drone Weapons. the lead designer of the ship sucessfully devised a way to mount drone launchers on a crusier size vessel, allowing the Weir class to carry up to 250 drones. other weapons systems include a newly upgraded Asgard beam, which is twice as powerfull as the original beam, 8 new railgun mk.2 turrets designed for anti crusier fire, 50 railgun mk.1 turrets for anti fighter duties and finally the horizon missile platform. although not a ship to ship weapon, the weir class will also carry 5 mk.10 GB2's (Gate Buster 2) if needed.

Defences: The Weir Class hull is made of a compiste tirnium/nutronium alloy, which is much stronger then the Deadaelus class. It is also equpied with a new type of energy sheilding developed by Tokra and Human scientists that uses the energy of enemy weapons fire to power the shield, therotically making them impregnable.

Crew: The Weir class takes a crew of 1000 people. due to a dispute between russia and the u.s over controll of the first ship, the command staff consists of a Canadian Commander, a Russian XO and an American Weapons officer, commanding an international crew. to further reduce tensions, rather then report to a military body, the Weir will report to IOA.

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
            Saquist - I will try and run a render of the rear this evening.

Alx - Its a great start on that ship...what is its role within your fleet. Do you render your ships? If not give kerkythea a go, or podium.

I will ignore the thorny subject of the problems in the middle east as we dont a war on the boards; keeping on track the reason we create ships to have the look of stargate established ships is to ensure the ship is understood by anyone else to be part of the stargate universe.

When creating a ship its purpose is also part of the design but the shape and look of it is also very important. When I design a stargate ship I always start with a head, a neck and hanger wings. My Hermes class destroyer has side wings jutting off the neck but they are not hangers.

The ship has a hanger at the rear for a small craft to surface transport and to little hangers on each high rise wing to hold a single penthetor class fighter. I may produce some more renders of the Hermes when I have time. I still have to finish her and the Orpheus and the Triton and the shipyard and the Poseidon bomber too much to do...

It's the same principle to design a stargate ship, nacelles, large front, small middle. I so wanted to see a startrek voyager movie...
            Now that's the kind of departure I'm looking for.
            I see the engines on this one and you kinda kept the hood style which I like. The top view is very very good. The renders to the right aren't as good but they appear to be the same but the crafting of the hull features on the left picture are beautiful and I could really see them on screen.
            The littleral guns are a bit much but it does convey a destroyer type esque-ness.

Obviously you've been doing this for a while. Your designs vary in a distinct way.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD1 View Post

my idea for a ship:

I haven't seen this kind of fanwank in months! *i don't know wheter to hug you, or slap you (just a joke mate) *

Drones are a no go on all ships unless they belong to the Ancients. Shields are never that simple, Ori ships did not have that kind of shield for crying out loud, we didn't even know how it worked! HOw can you fit it on a ship that size? 6 mark 12s.... How big do you think a mark 12 is? Judging by 3.0 a mark 8 is a km long, your ship would not fit a mark 12 on it, let alone six. Why not go for 2 NIGs? (or TNIGs?) *the Asgard's power supply for their bigger ships* Weapons are completely overdone. Unless this is a planet destroying ship made to wipe out a planet's population, it would not need that many gatebusters. Look at a few other spec designs. (Tep's guide to ship design is on page 105.) This helped me out a lot. It has potential, you just need to clean it up a bit. Coil guns are anti-cruiser ship-to-ship weapons on this forum. APBWs are fine, unless you're powering it with twice as much power. I'm sure other people will have a go at this. Don't take it personnal though, its what we do when we see something like this.

Experiment four-four-two.
              Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                Now that's the kind of departure I'm looking for.
                I see the engines on this one and you kinda kept the hood style which I like. The top view is very very good. The renders to the right aren't as good but they appear to be the same but the crafting of the hull features on the left picture are beautiful and I could really see them on screen.
                The littleral guns are a bit much but it does convey a destroyer type esque-ness.

Obviously you've been doing this for a while. Your designs vary in a distinct way.
                In Gareth's own words:

I try to make SU work
                sigpic

Comment

I started late last year my first ship was my Helios class civillian ship for the modelling challenge. The Hermes class weapons on the side are energy based cannons, I wanted to give them some heavy fire power without adding Asgard uber beams. It's my view, I say it so much, that the uber beams should not be on small ships. I may add some to my combat carrier but for me they should be only used on heavy cruisers, battle cruisers, battleships, dreadnaughts etc.

I consider myself new to 3d art compared to dr lee, boberth, manicmike etc, but i hope in time i will become as good as they are.

Welcome to Gateworld Rad1, your idea needs refining but everything needs a starting point.
                  A few hints...
                  Don't go too far into the future as nobody will understand it.
                  The daedalus class is about 600-630m long
                  Give sketchup a go, its free and easy to use.

sigpic

Comment

My manners seem to escape me when i see fanwank.

Welcome to gateworld! We hope you'll have a nice time here. This part of the forum has some of the best joint fan-fic on the entire forum in the form of the virtual fleets. there's Continuing Stargate and 3.0 going at the moment. I'm not sure if the alternate universe fleet is still going.
                    sigpic

Comment

442!!
                      that was increibly hasrsh of you...

welcome dont let this ignoramous (love you really 442 ) scare you off
                      sigpic

Comment

sneak peek of a soon finished project
                        Spoiler:

Comment

my idea for a ship:

First things, the Size is wrong, x Deadalus is at least 2.25Km depending on Scalings. The hyperdrive wouldnt work, better for it to be a Hybrid Lantian/Asgard drive built by humans. ZPM power isnt needed a Mark II Deadalus Naqaudah Reactor should be able to cope. or just a large Naquadah reactor or Asgard NIG would be fine. Should either be 24 or 36 fighters, 25 is a bit of a random figure. I surprisingly dont find too much against the Weapons, although a 2x beam is a no-no is possible that we could create a drone launch system and patch in PJ control systems to a central computer. Basicly strip out everything from a PJ and use that as controls to use a drone bay. Coil guns might be better though. Shield = NO. Its possible that the Hull could have energy absorbing technology that would transfer power to a buffer that could power the ship, Kull armour with a plug in effect but not for the whole ship and not for the shields. Crew is ok if size is rescaled to the above size.

As 442 has said check out the guide to ship design.
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Thor View Post
                            442!!
                            that was increibly hasrsh of you...

welcome dont let this ignoramous (love you really 442 ) scare you off
                            We have to sort them out before they get carried away.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Experiement 442 View Post
                              In Gareth's own words:
                              I don't understand...

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                              sneak peek of a soon finished project
                              Spoiler:

looks like Icarus Base.

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                              First things, the Size is wrong, x Deadalus is at least 2.25Km depending on Scalings. The hyperdrive wouldnt work, better for it to be a Hybrid Lantian/Asgard drive built by humans. ZPM power isnt needed a Mark II Deadalus Naqaudah Reactor should be able to cope. or just a large Naquadah reactor or Asgard NIG would be fine. Should either be 24 or 36 fighters, 25 is a bit of a random figure. I surprisingly dont find too much against the Weapons, although a 2x beam is a no-no is possible that we could create a drone launch system and patch in PJ control systems to a central computer. Basicly strip out everything from a PJ and use that as controls to use a drone bay. Coil guns might be better though. Shield = NO. Its possible that the Hull could have energy absorbing technology that would transfer power to a buffer that could power the ship, Kull armour with a plug in effect but not for the whole ship and not for the shields. Crew is ok if size is rescaled to the above size.

As 442 has said check out the guide to ship design.
                              mulitples of 5 would seem to be appropriate for max number of fighters in a wing. Thus Five Full Wings.

Could you link that Guide?

Comment

Tep's special posts on ship design.

Fighter squadrons are normally over five. Six, eight and ten are the norms for squadron sizes I think. It's sometimes an odd number on return though...

It was funny at the time. You had to be there to understand...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X