X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have been proved wrong.
    V V V

but still, i am lazy.
    Last edited by Experiment 442; 20 April 2009, 09:45 AM.
    Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
    sigpic

Comment

I like that!
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

its cool

Comment

did a bit of work on this, put in a small man to show scale and all that jazz which a gunship needs.

any ideas to expand on this?

Spoiler:
          Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
            Okay Here is a visual representation of a pure science fantasy FTL drive that I like to call the Oscillating Lateral Acceleration Engine. Theoretically it can take you anywhere in the universe instantly so long as you have enough power, know where you are headed, and know the proper frequency of temporal oscillations.

Now why I call it an O.L.A.E. is mostly because I wanted it to sound overly complicated and 'sciencey' but I also wanted its name to at least somewhat indicate how it supposedly works. The 'Oscillating' part indicates how it shifts back and forth between and instant in the future and an instant in the past. The 'Lateral Acceleration' part indicates, possibly inaccurately, the fact that it does still accelerate away from the point of origin. And well the 'Engine' part should be self explanatory.

In its FTL mode of function, it can be used for sub-light propulsion as well but it isn't as efficient, it quickly oscillates its temporal frequency so that it doesn't exist in any specific time or space, this doesn't mean it passes through every point in the universe though. Done correctly this allows the ship attached to the drive to effectively travel at or greater than the speed of light without encountering any of the time dilation effects, or insane energy requirements, normal for these speeds. When a properly functioning, and tuned, an OLAE equipped vessel experiences the same in flight time as the exterior universe.

Now on to the stuff that really means more to you guys imagine that empty space in the middle of the model completely obscured by a bright energy like obstruction, you can choose what color, that always gets brighter the more energy that is put into it. As a rule most civilian users of the OLAE have a dimmer showing than those of military or pirate vessels.

How does this have anything to do with Stargate you may ask. Well this is explained as many things are with these two simple words; "alternate reality."

Which I will haphazardly describe in the first spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
            Historical Deviations

1. The Stargates on Earth were not found by Dr. Langford, his daughter, or any other human being until the year 2006 AD, though the DHD was still whisked away during WWII.

2. As a direct result of the Stargate not being discovered and studied Dr. Ernest Littlefield was never lost off world and therefore significantly aided in the development of humanities, and American in particular, technical knowledge.

3. The first of these immense technological leaps happened towards the end of the Apollo space program. It was labeled, perhaps unimaginatively, a "Gravitational Insulator." and allowed the partial or complete removal of gravitational effects within a specified area or on a host object. This allowed for quick and cheap orbital launches. This was improved even further by the development of the "Helium Orbital Booster" or HOB.

4. 1983 a group of International and NASA scientists, including Dr. Littlefield and his eldest child, made the initial discoveries responsible for the eventual Oscillating Lateral Acceleration Engine. The first OLAE would be used in 1986 after the exhaustive efforts of Dr. Littlefield, his eldest child, and Dr. Samantha Carter brought about the first, and very public, OLAE prototype.

5. Martin Lloyd, who for this purposes of this reality is a technician of sorts, is able to make it to Earth without being captured by his mutinying crew mates and quickly goes into hiding both from Earth's governments and his own crew mates.

6. 1994 an independent self taught scientist, unprofessional crackpot scientist, discovered that by quickly turning a Gravitational Insulator on and off one could create temporary Anti-gravity waves that could allow for skyward travel while within a gravity well, this discovery came at the cost of nearly all the equipment in his hodgepodge laboratory which was thrown around quite spectacularly and giving the scientist a broken wrist. It isn't widely accepted until 1998 when the young Dr. Littlefield recognizes the potential benefits and brings the scientist into NASA, against her fathers wishes.

7. 2003 new advancements in OLAE design and energy distribution allows spacecraft using them to effectively go up to 10 times the speed of light placing the nearest star within half a years travel from Earth. These advancements also allowed spacecraft to use their OLAE's for sublight propulsion as well.

8. 2005 Martin Lloyd approaches Dr. Carter and secretly begins a dialogue with the US military through her. To prove that he is not crazy, as well as buying himself and his alienated comrades safe haven on Earth, Martin gives Dr. Carter designs and technical notes enough to construct working weapons, teleporters, and sensors (stated in order of perceived military importance). He also informs them of the powerful Goa'uld threat laying beyond their solar system and thereby the Stargate, as well as its use and extensive network, as well.

9. 2006 using newly constructed sensors, based off of Martin Lloyd's designs, they manage to locate both gates. However due to politics getting the gate from Giza presents some problems, though these are later solved. The gate in Antarctica on the other hand is up from grabs, and they do. Unfortunately the DHD is dead and therefore useless to them, Dr. Carter and Dr. Ernest Littlefield and Dr. Edwina Littlefield are among the scientists pulled in to develop a working dialing program.

10. Late 2006 the now top secret Stargate Program learns of a little known, and even less listened to, archaeologist who is in Egypt has a personal clearance for the export of artifacts, even really big ones, and is more than used to the idea of alien technology in ancient archaeological sites. It takes some convincing on the part of Lieutenant Colonel Jack O'Neill, as well as an official mandate for the Archaeologists continued clearance and inclusion in the Stargate Program, but Dr. Daniel Jackson agrees to help them get the Giza gate back to the US.

11. In 2009 a well armed exploratory team goes through the now working, mostly, Stargate to find out exactly what is at the coordinates found on the Giza cartouche. They encounter Ra and, surprisingly, manage to defeat his small compliment of guards and capture him with his ship intact. Mining of and research on Naquadah soon follows. And yes Jackson did go along and yes he and Sha're did get married.

12. 2011 an Iris is finally fitted into place over both the Earth and Abydos gates. Ironically their version of Apophis meets his end against these barriers.

13. 2013 A new power source which has been in the works for over a decade is publicly paraded for the first time promising a bright future for mankind. It is not a Naquadah Reactor however instead a unique reactor allows for nearly the same output as a Naq Reactor all within about the same size, improbable but hey this is my dream not reality.

14. Finally in mid 2015 the local Goa'uld system lord takes notice that the People of Earth pose a, while future pending, threat to the Goa'uld strangle hold on the galaxy and sends a fleet of two Ha'taks to Abydos, turns out he has no clue about where Earth is, where they are met by seven of the 20 of Earth's interstellar warships. In a miraculous come from behind victory the Earth ships win the battle however they lose five ships and unfortunately bring themselves into the center ring of the Goa'uld's radar.

15. From 2016 to 2025 the Goa'uld send out small fleets to Abydos and eventually Earth losing every battle, though Earth's losses are heavier nearly every time. In 2019 the existence of the Stargate Program and the war with the Goa'uld is made public. In 2025 the Goa'uld decide to allow a temporary ceasefire so that they can lick their wounds and rebuild their fleets, even small losses build up over time after all. From then on an uneasy 'Cold War' exists between Earth/Abydos forces and the Goa'uld.

16. 2035 after a successful test of a new version of the OLAE mysterious hammer shaped warships, with two large pylons on their backs, appear beam the crew off the experimental craft and disappear into hyperspace with it in tow.

17. In 2042 a 'new' race begins fighting the Goa'uld and is winning by a fair margin they call themselves the Asgard. The first official meeting between Earth ships and an Asgard vessel does not go well as they are recognized as being the race who seven years earlier stole Earth's most audacious scientific achievement, and never returned it after they finished with it. After nearly declaring war on them the Asgard, who didn't want their attention split any more than strictly necessary, ended up giving the Earth improved energy weapons, weaker versions of the really neat beams, and improved teleporters just to shut them up. Their relations improve later on.

18. Do to the Asgards messing around with time, space, and realities 'our' SG-1, as well as the Odyssey, became temporarily stranded in this reality. Though their presence didn't really effect much.

Spoiler:

What do you think about them fried apples?
            zu viel zu lesen, darum soll ich es nicht... Erst Deutsch lernen... das ist blöd!

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by Experiement 442 View Post
              did a bit of work on this, put in a small man to show scale and all that jazz which a gunship needs.

any ideas to expand on this?

Spoiler:
              Hm do not those partitions between the gun emplacements severely limit their firing arcs?

Also what are those openings in the forward part of its 'wings' used for?

The windows seem a bit large but then again this is science fiction so that may not matter that much. Except when someone wants to shoot them out and kill the command crew.

I can't think of anything else right now. Really cool looking ship though, I cannot wait for it to be finished.

Originally posted by locutes View Post
              zu viel zu lesen, darum soll ich es nicht... Erst Deutsch lernen... das ist blöd!
              I have no clue what you just said. So I will just assume you said something along the lines of; "That is awesome! I would give my German ancestry and my blood to be able to use something like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                I have no clue what you just said. So I will just assume you said something along the lines of; "That is awesome! I would give my German ancestry and my blood to be able to use something like that."
                i think it's something about you being stupid for learning german, but i don't think that makes much sense...
                sigpic

Spoiler:
                Originally posted by IMDB
                Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                Hehe

Comment

Oh then it probably meant something along the lines of "You pulp you need a lesson, dummy you need to enlist in night school... and learn German... then I'll come for your blood!"

Comment

might also be something about him being swamped and not having the time to learn german, and being upset over that... but i have no idea.
                    sigpic

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by IMDB
                    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                    Hehe

Comment

Me neither.

Comment

Daryl, you know that's a time machine drive right?

Comment

Spoiler:

What are the side ports, I thougt they were for fighters but when i saw the person next to the ship I relised they were too small. It looks a little like an hirogen vessel.

sigpic

Comment

I'm working on an ancient outpost I may post it later depending on how busy I am.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Daryl, you know that's a time machine drive right?
                              Yes I am aware that it does involve minor flinches into the past and future to allow for faster travel in space. However unless you fail to operate it appropriately you won't have to deal with any time travel more than a nanosecond into either the past or future. At that rate there are no effects to the time stream either past, present, or future.

My inspiration for this was listening to some science guy on the history channel saying something about how traveling at light speed while going in the same direction as the universe is expanding would basically mean you stay in place but end up in the future. And if you do the same thing in the opposite direction you will be able to enter the past. So then I though, probably foolishly, "Then would it be possible to quickly travel back and forth between a point shortly in the future and shortly in the past while moving forward through space thus allowing you to effectively travel faster than light?" Understandably that is a rather fantastic leap of illogical thought but it sounded cool none-the-less so I started working on it and ended up with the OLAE which is tons of fun to think about.

Comment

Not really, the logic gives me headaches, and once your able to travel a nanosend into the past or future- well, a journey of a hudnred miles begins with a single step.

In a hunded years, it'll be fleets of blue police boxes ducking it out with the goa'uld.

Comment

Working...
                                X