Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does 10 plasma based weapons sound for my ship, considering its size and role. 900m to 1 km, fleet battleship. Is it a bit too much?

For weapons i was thinking 10 plasma cannon things, some missiles, ion cannons, coil-guns, point defense rail-guns, point defense ion-cannons. Too much?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
      how does 10 plasma based weapons sound for my ship, considering its size and role. 900m to 1 km, fleet battleship. Is it a bit too much?

For weapons i was thinking 10 plasma cannon things, some missiles, ion cannons, coil-guns, point defense rail-guns, point defense ion-cannons. Too much?
      I guess the best way to look at it, is what roles do the weapons have to play.

Defense. (fighter and missiles)

That would be rail-guns since they give you the best rate of fire and simplest design so less chance of things breaking with maybe a back up of some kind of laser defense.

So maybe 12-20 rail-gun emplacements with 6 laser for long range defense.

Offense. (anti capital ship)

You do want to keep missiles since they are good as a planetary attack system and as an opportunity surprise beam over attack but I would not make them your main attack mode.

For main attacks involving capital ships I would got with a mix of beams and pulse based weapons. The beams give you range with the most damage and pulse weapons can do large amounts of damage but also be space out to give you a wider heavy weapon coverage.

So I would do 1-2 beam cannons and 6-8 pulse based heavy weapons. (plasma or ion would do.)

Well thats my 2 cents, I hope it helped.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
      Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post

Defense. (fighter and missiles)

That would be rail-guns since they give you the best rate of fire and simplest design so less chance of things breaking with maybe a back up of some kind of laser defense.

So maybe 12-20 rail-gun emplacements with 6 laser for long range defense.

Offense. (anti capital ship)

You do want to keep missiles since they are good as a planetary attack system and as an opportunity surprise beam over attack but I would not make them your main attack mode.

For main attacks involving capital ships I would got with a mix of beams and pulse based weapons. The beams give you range with the most damage and pulse weapons can do large amounts of damage but also be space out to give you a wider heavy weapon coverage.

So I would do 1-2 beam cannons and 6-8 pulse based heavy weapons. (plasma or ion would do.)

Well thats my 2 cents, I hope it helped.
        I had thought, 8 ion-cannons, 9 rocket launchers, 11 heavy-railguns, but with what you have said in mind i might change the rail-guns with new ones? does that make sense? as in more rail-guns but each one will be smaller caliber, and better suited to attacking smaller targets.

edit: oh yeah and add some missiles, not too many because the ion-cannons kind of make up for the missiles in a way...

sigpic

Comment

I had thought, 8 ion-cannons, 9 rocket launchers, 11 heavy-railguns, but with what you have said in mind i might change the rail-guns with new ones? does that make sense? as in more rail-guns but each one will be smaller caliber, and better suited to attacking smaller targets.

edit: oh yeah and add some missiles, not too many because the ion-cannons kind of make up for the missiles in a way...
          Yeah I got what your saying and the rail-guns are a good medium distance defense. I still think a few laser of some kind would work well for long range threats since they tend to have long ranges and can move at the speed of light.
          (Both weapons should work well against unshielded targets like fighters and missiles.)

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle

Comment

here is a small update to my battleship, now named the Valiant (pronunciation val-ly-ant not val-eye-ant) class battleship. would this ship have any place in GW fleet 3.0. I'd like to get involved in 3 and was just wondering. no worries if it doesn't, just a thought. oh and I've just noticed a problem with a the middle of the 3 outside engines, just in case anyone else spots it and tries to be a smart-arse. lol

Spoiler:

By titan_hq at 2007-07-20

By titan_hq at 2007-07-20
            I'm sure there's a place for your ship in fleet 3.0 but like before there will be a voting process.

As for specs there's a list of technology available in the virtual fleet universe for putting on ships. I suggest when designing ships you use established technology to keep things simple though new pieces of technology and innovations are welcome with a backstory.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

A little uppdate on my wip ship
              enjoy
              Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

oh that ship SO has to be part of 3.0!
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by JoNzA View Post
                  enjoy
                  Spoiler:

Looking much better JoNzA.
                  Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                    oh that ship SO has to be part of 3.0!
                    my ship? if so yeah sure I intend to be a part of 3.0
                    Originally posted by RJB View Post
                    Looking much better JoNzA.
                    Keep up the good work.
                    thanks
                    right back at you lol
                    sigpic

Comment

enjoy
                      Spoiler:

Wow, i wish i could model half as well as you. great work!

sigpic

Comment

Wow, i wish i could model half as well as you. great work!
                        thanks
                        sigpic

Comment

well I have a little uppdate on my latest ship, I have started to work on the underside of the ship and thats all
                          enjoy
                          Spoiler:
                          [
                          sigpic

Comment

Lookin great!!!!

Is it me or are the Tau'Ri ships looking more like Battlestars from BSG or what-They carry similar weapons(Railguns and nuke), they have the same side pod hangar configuration. All you would have to do to make Galactica SGC capable is to give it a Hyperdrive in addition to its jump drive, Shields and Ring and Beam Transporters-Then you'll have the Wraith beggin for mercy

I'm on about the 303+304 not the original designs
                            Last edited by Jyral Nadreth; 22 July 2007, 10:37 AM. Reason: To add more

Comment

well I have a little uppdate on my latest ship, I have started to work on the underside of the ship and thats all
                              enjoy
                              Spoiler:
                              [
                              looks good! do you think you could post more shots of the under side and back of the ship?

p.s did you get my PM i sent you?

sigpic

Comment

Jonza that ship has to be in 3.0, if it was my choice it would be in 2.0! its really amazing, but Gw has alot of talen and the fact extrenix didnt get most of his models in show that you might not get it in. Even if im running against you, as long as it has great specs im voting for that ship!
                                sigpic
                                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                                Stargate : Genesis |
                                Original Starship DesignThread
                                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X