Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks guys, i know most of you know alot of the things on the guide, but i was hoping that if people came to the thread and asked what were doing then that could be a place to send them, its the only guide that i know of and its got alot of usefull stuff so for new designers i hope it gives them something to go by

If you can think of anything that needs adding, absolutly anything then tell me and ill add it, the GS was a prelaunch request by someone and ill just tack extra bits on ok.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Good guide Immhotep, sketchup is addictive. Keep trying out new designs etc. Anyone missing off that list of people . Another thing: just worked out how to draw a cone on sketchup .

Comment

once again great job immhotep, and how do draw a cone?
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i really dont know, you use the follow me too and kind of draw a line and then click folow me and then draw a cirle and it kinda cuts it out, soemthing to that effect atleast; i think ZakeD should explain some of the nifftier points of GS because i really cant. If he would be willing i would then put that in the guide and it would be extra detailed giving him credit obviously.
          I would do the same for any other additions that need to be made, if they are not too long; i took 8700 of the 12000 character allowed so dont have much room in the second part.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

Draw a circle,

then draw a line down the middle of the circle (north to south) and one across (east to west).

Then draw a line coming out of the circle.

From there, draw a line from the edge of the circle to the line coming out of the circle

repeat until you cross a quadrant line (one of the first lines you made). Continue till you have finished and behold a cone.

Repeat step 5 on the other 3 quadrants.
            Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 05 October 2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

thank you. I will add that now.
              sigpic
              11000! green me

Comment

Actually ther is aa much esar way draw a triangle on the cercile then go into tools and slect follow me tool with the follow me tool slect the triangle face and pull it alonh the out side line of the cricle and once you get back to your original triangle, right click and slect conect all connected surfices and you will have a cone. some one might want to clean up my speeling so others can under stand it

Comment

doing a cone can still take ages, easier to download one and make it a component, then copy it...
                  ]

Comment

Or you can just extrude a cylinder and do the move tool, which works waaaay easier than the complicated methods you are describing. You might also wanna add how to make a sphere. A lot of people ask that when they first start using gs. To do that you draw a horizontal circle, draw a smaller vertical circle above that one, click the big circle so it can be used as the path, select the follow me tool, and then click the small circle. It will automatically make a sphere. By the way, I like the guide a lot Immhotep. It says I have to spread some Reputation around before giving you green again..
                    Last edited by ZakeD; 05 October 2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Well done Imhotep! And thanks for the kudows.

Hopefully this will inspire some new blood to get into the ship designing gig. You can never have to many designers, in my personal onion.

A teaser (I like doing teasers, if y'all haven't noticed) of my 305 redesign:

Comment

thats asome It gest my A-some seal of aproval

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                          Well done Imhotep! And thanks for the kudows.

Hopefully this will inspire some new blood to get into the ship designing gig. You can never have to many designers, in my personal onion.

A teaser (I like doing teasers, if y'all haven't noticed) of my 305 redesign:

Dude..that's just awesome. Are you gonna post specs and stuff when ya finish?

A-some
                          ^
                          we

xD

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                            Dude..that's just awesome. Are you gonna post specs and stuff when ya finish?

A-some
                            ^
                            we

xD
                            Actually, its a redesign of my first ship, which is back on page 15, I think. The specs will change somewhat, though I'm not sure exactly how much. I'm not going to know till I finish the modeling.

Off topic, yipee for the start of Hockey Season. Go AVS!

Comment

cooky what role is the 305 meant to play? because it looks like a scoutship type thing but im not sure, got any specs?
                              sigpic
                              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                                Or you can just extrude a cylinder and do the move tool, which works waaaay easier than the complicated methods you are describing. You might also wanna add how to make a sphere. A lot of people ask that when they first start using gs. To do that you draw a horizontal circle, draw a smaller vertical circle above that one, click the big circle so it can be used as the path, select the follow me tool, and then click the small circle. It will automatically make a sphere. By the way, I like the guide a lot Immhotep. It says I have to spread some Reputation around before giving you green again..
                                Ok smart arse how do you make a dome without getting all those funky bits coming out.

Comment

Working...
                                X