Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I wasn't talking about building a ship in space(even though that would be kinda cool). I was saying that we should have a resupply post that is either on another planet, in orbit around ours, or on the moon. we could teleport what supplies we need directly to the resupply point thus making trucks and shuttles virtually useless. and if we could provide enough power we could also teleport the ships we build on Earth directly into space.

But I haven't really thought this out so there are some pretty big holes in my logic.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
      I'd guess between 5.5-6m. Outside diameter is supposed to be 22ft.
      That can't be right, thats 19 feet. That means I could take a Humvee through a Stargate sideways.

Comment

we have known this for along time, the fact they havent invested in a humvee for offworld teams yet feel perfectly content to develop multi billion $$ intergalactic warships is beyond me!
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
          we have known this for along time, the fact they havent invested in a humvee for offworld teams yet feel perfectly content to develop multi billion $$ intergalactic warships is beyond me!
          http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/1...l/101x466.html
          That is not 19 feet! I'll put money on it's being 14 feet or less.

Comment

lo.
            Made a news ship. Kinda a strange Daedalus. The turrets are sergio Haro's.

Pic 1
            Pic 2
            Pic 3

Cheers.

Comment

in the corner of the photo ther eare create behind the stargate stacked up, but that image is of sheps first entrance in to atlantis , moments after they first set foot. where did the creates come from??
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fisher
                That can't be right, thats 19 feet. That means I could take a Humvee through a Stargate sideways.
                Actually, I'm pretty sure an Abrams tank could fit through a stargate, though it'd be tight. Of corse, getting an Abrams into the SGC gateroom would be an interesting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                  Actually, I'm pretty sure an Abrams tank could fit through a stargate, though it'd be tight. Of corse, getting an Abrams into the SGC gateroom would be an interesting experience.
                  A M1A1 Abrams is 12 feet wide. I agree with you that you could take a Abrams through, but I dont think the Stargate's inside diameter is 19 feet. 14 feet, maybe 15 feet. Also, you could station a Abrams on one of the bases off-world.

Comment

Originally posted by TripH
                    if your going to make a fleet, atleast do it realistically.
                    You say realistically, yet the navy classifications are being rejected since "we have the roles we need". Says who? What's realistic in space? Have you been there yet? Which is why we wouldn't be scavenging Goauld ships to fullfill roles. We'd be creating those roles ourselves. Thank you for proving my point.
                    Last edited by Armagaiden; 28 September 2006, 01:18 AM.

Comment

I think you totally missing the point of what we DO here. We create our ships from stargate canon and fit them as realistically as possible to whatever potential outcomes there could be in the show, according to our own opinion of what is going on in the show.
                      Ship design is about our designing of ships we think or would like to see defending earth within the context of the fictional universe or possible futures. We have been doing this along time so we are not 'smoking' anything, and its an insult to alot of people who have literally spent years doing this.
                      Before you put down what we do, first understand it, we create fleets of ships according to our interpretation of the events in stargate and how they would relate to any future or Alternate space warfare that may occur. So we try to be a REAL as possible with in the context of the MAKE BELIEVE canon. In fact some of the ships if you took the time to read are not even based on SG technology but on current earth technolgoy implemented within the context of stargate, we use real tactics, real weapons and real classes. The only thing that is uncanon about our ships is context, and i for one think some of us do a better job of creating reality based space combat than the poeple actually doing it.
                      First off, I'm defending the other post, so if you want to consider it an attack or put down, so be it.

So essentially what you're saying is because you've spent dedicated time and life on this make believe reality of yours, that other people's ideas of fleet essentials are inferior to yours because you've been here longer. So why create anything here at all if you're going to limit it to only what YOU DEEM realistic within the universe? I'd say that's actually 100 times more insulting to the rest of the people that want to join in. Couple that with the fact that the 3d modeling has only barely started with the indroduction of googlesketchup just recently and you basically have people who I guess have been here 10 years dreaming up statistics on armor and the like feeling their ideas are superior to those that just want to and have the ability to create ships, hopefully realistically. A true elitist.

Ship design is about our designing of ships we think or would like to see defending earth within the context of the fictional universe or possible futures.
                      I love this post, what "you would like to see" defending earth. That's a pretty broad statement even within the context of the "fictional" universe that you have so eloquently pointed out. So I guess we should only go by what "you would like to see".

I get it that you don't want to see god-killing warships with rediculous configurations, but I think it's fairly short-sighted to discount creations of reality based role specific ships currently in service for a non-fictional navy just because they don't fit in the way you think this fictional universe plays out in it's probably the best rational and realistic thing to base it off of considering anything else to base it off of is unrealistic at best including the show, which you already discounted by saying you deem your ideas to be superior to the show. That's insulting.

Bottom line is this, people can create what they want, how they want, whether it fits in YOUR reality or not. You don't want it in this thread, fine, I I can understand that since you want to keep this thread your official "gateworld" fleet like star trek elitists. But I think it's fairly insulting to the people that feel their ideas of roles within spaceship designation could be inferior and void to you simply because you've "thought" about it longer when it's all just make believe in the first place.

Comment

First off, I'm defending the other post, so if you want to consider it an attack or put down, so be it.
                        reading through this you have said your/you/you're 16 times so i think this could be considered an attack on me, and ill defend myself accordingly.

So essentially what you're saying is because you've spent dedicated time and life on this make believe reality of yours, that other people's ideas of fleet essentials are inferior to yours because you've been here longer.
                        Yes i have been here the longest but i have never put other poeple down when theri ships are valid and well thought out, this is not MY fleet and it never has been,
                        So why create anything here at all if you're going to limit it to only what YOU DEEM realistic within the universe? I'd say that's actually 100 times more insulting to the rest of the people that want to join in.
                        Join in, i dont have my own universe i want ships to adhere too, if they make sense adn are written with a decent reason for existing then fair enough, its your ship do what you like. But bear in mind that i and others have been doing this a while so if we think something is really wrong with it "5 ZPM's power the hyperdrive, another 5 for shields and an arcturis porject as backup" then expect to get a thurough seeing too. We do have a defintion of fanwank and f we use that term you will know why because its followed by a good explaination by the majority.
                        Couple that with the fact that the 3d modeling has only barely started with the indroduction of googlesketchup just recently and you basically have people who I guess have been here 10 years dreaming up statistics on armor and the like feeling their ideas are superior to those that just want to and have the ability to create ships, hopefully realistically. A true elitist.
                        I have people! what do you think this is a mafia??? I have done 1 ship on google sketchup and am proud of it, i created the fleet and would like others to join in because the ships they have created were used to create the fleet and thought that they may, may want to graphically represent them. I dont feel my ships are superior, judge my ships, i can and konw that in heinsight they were a little fanwankish, i cna say that. explain to me how i am an elitist? i have been here 16 months and have been doing ship deisgn for about year, design ships, if they are good ill like them if they are not good ill tell you so you can improve them, and i will not be the only one!

love this post, what "you would like to see" defending earth. That's a pretty broad statement even within the context of the "fictional" universe that you have so eloquently pointed out. So I guess we should only go by what "you would like to see".
                        i assume by your inacurate quoting YOU means us ships designers as a group because i in fact put WE. yes WE judge the universe and take inpsiration from this section which is full of our ideas predominatly and try to fit our ships in to what we think is happening. it is the same for shippers and fanficers and every part of fandom, we interpret things how we want to and take from the show what we would like. The show will never be exactly what we want it to be and as such we can do whatever the hell we like to our ships and put them in to any universe we fancy putting them in to. and you can do the same!

I get it that you don't want to see god-killing warships with rediculous configurations, but I think it's fairly short-sighted to discount creations of reality based role specific ships currently in service for a non-fictional navy just because they don't fit in the way you think this fictional universe plays out in it's probably the best rational and realistic thing to base it off of considering anything else to base it off of is unrealistic at best including the show, which you already discounted by saying you deem your ideas to be superior to the show. That's insulting.
                        no thats called imagination. We dont want to see people waste their time on god killing warships, it waste all of our time. If you would like to put forward "reality based role specific ships currently in service for a non-fictional navy" then please do so i will love to hear them and i would be happy to change my view on this fiction universe if you present something worthwhile. I never said they were superior, i said we dont have to "play for show" and create a good story for veiwers. We can change things that they cant and use things they cant because its jsut not worth doing for a Tv show but for what i consider fiction then we can do whatever we want. We have hatak's in the earth fleet, energy weapons, new power sources, advacned beaming techniques, different and realistic tactics and role specific support ships. ( check out the GW fleet if you want to hear about what roles we use) its not insulting to do something that we feel is more realistic than the show, the show is a TV show and we expect big explosions, but our ships, the ones we create dont need to play up to that.. thats all im saying.
                        Bottom line is this, people can create what they want, how they want, whether it fits in YOUR reality or not. You don't want it in this thread, fine, I I can understand that since you want to keep this thread your official "gateworld" fleet like star trek elitists. But I think it's fairly insulting to the people that feel their ideas of roles within spaceship designation could be inferior and void to you simply because you've "thought" about it longer when it's all just make believe in the first place.
                        Id love to know where you get all this from because this group is actually a friendly place if you create something of worth, they can create what they want but we have a right to say what we think about what they create and there is nothing you can do that would stop me doing it, because i love it, and if you have posted around me, talked or interacted with me you would know damn well that i DO try to help people. Im not an elitist and if you think i am then you dont know me.

Im happier now I enjoyed doing that. Anyone got any new designs? pics? models? im thinking of releasing a new one sometime soon. I kinda stopped working on valhalla for now though.

Immhotep.
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

Once I get some time to myself, I'm planning on making some models of the new Spirit design and the Tegalus design, I'm not sure what to do with the Shinobi.

Comment

can you explain the tegalus fully to me please because i still dont understand what its function and design is really all about..id like to see the model but i think the design/ background needs fleshing out a bit first, its a bit ambiguous atm.

PS if anyone has felt im elitist them can you try and give me an example or just tell me because i know im not the most elitist person on this section by along shot.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Well... let me check... It was designed and built mainly in a fire support role for dedicated carriers and to be used in a large group, though to be fair it is pretty big so I've been thinking of adding many more coil guns to supplement it's twin plasma cannons.

If this doesn't answer your question I'll work on a better answer.

Comment

hmm ok well if its a fire support then i doesnt really need plasma guns, unless there are simply glider type cannons. also if its fire support and to be used in a 'swarm' then the size shouldnt be too large. say 4 coil guns and two plasma turrets in a ship about the size of an alkesh ( i think its abotu 50m by 30m, something like that) would be a really good addition to the fleet(it is in the fleet), because it would be like our alkesh just without the bombs.
                                I could definitly see a ship of that type of design being supprt for carriers, what do you think?
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X