This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
    Okay as soon as I get the time, money, and program I will most definately make a 3D model of each and every one of my ships.
    Once again, (though I even posted a link in the other post):
    Gmax
    It's free and has a better interface than blender, much easier to use as well.
    Blender is more for people that have a year to learn how to use it.
    Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

Ok how about this: I will start modeling my ships as soon as I get internet on my laptop.

I want to model my ships in 3D in fact that was what I wanted to do before I ever made a ship in paint but at present I simply can't do it.

Comment

People who are posting actual designs should model them in a 3d modeling program.
        I suggest Gmax, it is free and easy to use and contains the same interface as 3ds Max, a $7000 (standard license) 3d modeling program. (Ever see the one car commercial where they have the road at the end that says "zoom zoom"? That was made in 3ds max.)

I'm not just here to make that suggestion, I thought I'de post the back story (both the real and the story-story one)
        Real:
        My ship (see like, um, page 74 or something, maybe before that), the Draco was originally designed for bungie / Microsoft's Halo: Combat Evolved (particularly a version for the PC released by Gearbox called Halo Custom Edition in which you can, through the use of external 3d modelers such as 3ds max and Gmax (gmax hasn't been fully supported until a few weeks ago and the game was released 4 (?) years ago) create your own content)
        So, yes, you could make your own vehicles and people spent months making things the size of cars and, in some rare cases, larger things (about the size of a F302). I was thinking to myself "we need something bigger...", so I designed the Draco and over a four month period, modeled it and made it game ready.

Now for the "Story":
        The Draco was not originally made for the military, rather it's like taking a pick-up truck and throwing a machine gun on the back. In the Halo version of the story, the Draco was designed and built in 2552, but in Stargate universe, it would have been designed in about 2003 at the latest. It uses mostly simple technology such as an ion-propulsion system (which are actually being developed now), the hull is made of trinium (or in Halo, simple armor-grade Titanium). In both the worlds of Stargate and Halo, the military version of the small vessel contains a cargo bay with an energy shield. The shield allows somethings to go through it and is controlled by a computer. It allows smaller ships to be carried and deployed from the cargo bay (in Halo, the ship includes a small "jetbike", also of my design, it's called the Firefly because of its small size and large jet fume in the back).

Let's recap:
        Please try and make 3d models of your ships.
        and
        The Draco was made for Halo: Combat Evolved

Not everyone can do 3d modelling, just as not everyone can do 2d pictures. I can do 3d farelly well, but my 2d skills are almost non-existant. Don't hold back a new design just because you can't provide a picture or 3d model. Instead, work on a good backstory for it. The more unique it is, either visually or story wise, the better it will be recieved.

Once again, (though I even posted a link in the other post):
        Gmax
        It's free and has a better interface than blender, much easier to use as well.
        Blender is more for people that have a year to learn how to use it.
        I used to think blender was hard to learn. Tried repeatedly over the last few years without sucess. But in the last few months, I've found it to be remarkably intuative.

I keep catching myself trying to use blender shortcuts when I'm in other programs, especially when I'm online. Always takes me a second to figure out why it isn't working.

I'd suggest people try both blender and Gmax and see which one works best for them. I've seen a number of blender users who switched form 3ds max because they thought blender was a better program.

Comment

You can try google sketchup too.. It's the easiest one I've seen. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...69/1thorgs.png
          I was able to do that in a really small amount of time..

Oh, and it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
            Tried repeatedly over the last few years without sucess.
            Point and case.
            Now I just want to see some Mik'ta whuppin' ships from the minds of Stargate viewers!
            Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

sketch up is helpful, i use it for main modeling purposes, then export with the demo and do final bits like collection textures in Gmax
              Under the Ice of Antarctica....
              O'Neill: I cant go on....
              Carter: You spent 7 Years on MacGyver and you cant figure this one out. We got belt buckles, and shoelaces and a piece of gum build me a Nuclear reactor for crying out loud. You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimik but now your Mister MacUseless.

Comment

Here is one i made for a possible alliance against the reapers in the virtual fleet

It's the combination of wraith/tauri/asgard designs
                Spoiler:

The Taugarith

Dimensions:
                same as a hiveship

Material:
                Organic Reinforced Trinium Titanium

Power:
                1 Wraith hiveship Generator
                5 Mark III Naquadah Generators

Engines:
                1x Asgard hyperspace generator
                8x Sublight Engines (capable of speeds up to 68% LS)

Defensive weaponry:
                12x Railguns

Offensive weaponry:
                42x Mark VIII Naquadah Enhanced Nuclear Missiles (14 silos)
                24x Mark IX Naquadah Enhanced Nuclear Missiles (8 silos)
                30x Wraith Plasma Cannons

Shields:
                3x Asgard "close-in" Shield Generators

Armour:
                30m Regenerative Organic Trinium Titanium armour

Stealth:
                Active Camouflage

Fighters:
                100x Wraith darts
                40x F-302s

Other Tech:
                ECM
                ECCM
                Asgard Beaming Tech
                Asgard Sensors

History of the Taugarith

After the threat of the reapers became apparent, the wraith quickly contacted Atlantis via the Daedulus. A new but sceptical alliance was formed to defeat this new threat. Under the terms of the treaty signed but Weir and the Wraith queens that attended included research into possible other food sources so the Wraith could stop killing the humans, surprisingly the wraith agreed to this. While the medical scientists worked with the wraith on a possible new food source and the proteins to enable sustainance. The other scientists were working on incorporating Tauri, Asgard and Wraith technology together to make a ship capable of attacking the reapers.
                The result was the Taugarith.
                Using the same infrastructure and size of a hive ship allowed many weapons and fighters to be used on the ship.
                The ship has 3 "close-in" shield generators to try and defend itself from the reaper cannon. It is still to be tested how well it works.
                All in all it has taken 3 years to research and build.
                So far the reapers have stuck to wraith territory. But in 3 years since their birth, the reapers have taken around 2/3s of the wraith territory.
                At this time, it is unknown how well the regenerative armour will work.
                In those 3 years of research and building the ship, the Medicals lead by Dr Beckett have announced they are close to a prototype enzyme to change the wraith's eating habits. Time will tell if it works.

What do you guys think?
                Ok it is a supership but it won't pawn this reaper fleet, not even close to.

Also I made a new asgard ship too. Never done a pic for it, so maybe the arty guys might be able too.

The hammond class

Spoiler:
                Name: Hammond
                Class: Hammond Class
                Ship type: Battleship

Dimensions
                Length: 1000m
                Width: 400m
                Height: 250m

Material:
                Trinium-carbon-Naquadah hull

Power:
                6x Asgard Neutrino Ion generators

Engines:
                4x Asgard Thrusters
                2x Forward deceleration drives
                1x Asgard hyperspace generator (used on all asgard ships)

Weapons:
                8x Asgard high-energy cannons
                4x Asgard Pulse cannons

Shields:
                2x Asgard shield generators

Other tech:
                Asgard sensors
                Asgard beaming tech
                Energy dampening fields.

Comment

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...ast43555-1.png

Whoo. My model of Thor. o_o

Comment

Interesting, is that program downloadable, and if so how much space does it take up?

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                      Interesting, is that program downloadable, and if so how much space does it take up?
                      http://sketchup.google.com/ Yeah..right there.

Takes up 45mb. I can't believe how easy it is. If I figured it out anyone can. xD

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                        http://sketchup.google.com/ Yeah..right there.

Takes up 45mb. I can't believe how easy it is. If I figured it out anyone can. xD
                        Thanks, I'll see if I can make that work. If I can I may be able to show people a small fleet of my ships.

Comment

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/a8280284.png
                          Almost done with Thor. Need to make some guns, add more details and windows, and add the hangars. I love this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                            http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/a8280284.png
                            Almost done with Thor. Need to make some guns, add more details and windows, and add the hangars. I love this thing.
                            Do you know if you can get sizes on these things? You know so that you could have more than one ship in an accurate comparison shot.

Edit: Here is my attempt at making a gun for the Shinobi class gunship. Reactions?

Spoiler:
                            Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 November 2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I think you can do sizes..they got that tape measure thing. My ships way off scale though. Good gun you got there..better than mine. >>

Comment

I need two names for the seconed and third ships in the valor class

Comment

Working...
                                X