This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work Immhotep, I like it.

The only thing I might change (and this is just me) is that I don't think the Hebridans were that advanced compared to the Gua'uld. Stargate seamed to portray them as only a centuary or two ahead of Earth. Certainly powerfull enough to engage the Gua'uld and win, but not quite as advanced.

I think their weapons and shield tech is still a few centuries behind the Gua'uld tech that the Jaffa are using now, which is what I imagined the Jaffa trading to the Hebridan for the R63 fighters they purchased.

Comment

See i think that they were more advanced than the Goauld, because like the Aschen they had once defeated the goauld and freed themselves. so maybe they are in that band of races such as the Aschen, Tollan, bedrossan's that were advanced but just not powerfull because they were limited in range and numbers.
      i think either way they are valid candidates for bigger participation in the war, they cant make things worse!
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
        See i think that they were more advanced than the Goauld, because like the Aschen they had once defeated the goauld and freed themselves. so maybe they are in that band of races such as the Aschen, Tollan, bedrossan's that were advanced but just not powerfull because they were limited in range and numbers.
        i think either way they are valid candidates for bigger participation in the war, they cant make things worse!
        Hopefully.

Comment

What kind of ships does our fleet need? I wanna make something. o_o

Comment

Not sure... A raider-type vessel, based on the ships we saw in "Space Race", might be cool?

Still dude, I wanted you to be the first to see the final specs on the Abydos-class cruiser. Thanks to you, she's finally complete.

Spoiler:
            Abydos-class starship

Type: Medium long-range hyperspace capable warship
            Technology base: Earth/Asgard
            User/s: United States Navy, United States Air Force,
            Royal Navy/Air Force, Russian Space Service, Japanese Space Self Defense Force.
            Builder(s): Electric Boat
            Naval Classification: Stealth Guided missile Cruiser
            Dimensions:
            ~Length: 189m
            ~Width: 72m
            ~Height: 46m
            Displacement: 240,000 tons
            Crew: 97
            ~Troops: 200
            ~Craft: Two Tel'tac cargo/scout ships, two CV-309 Pegasus support craft, or two Puddlejumpers.
            ~Vehicles: 6 (four Humvees, two LAVs)
            Powerplant: 1 x Mk. III Naquada Reactor
            Engines:
            ~Two ion-based sublight drives
            ~Two hyperspace window generators
            ~Antigravity wave generator network
            Weapons:
            ~1 x 1.25 petawatt High Energy Laser Weapon
            ~2 x 406mm coilguns x 500 rounds each
            ~10 x 155mm rail guns x 5,000 rounds each
            ~2 x Mk. 43 Peripheral Vertical Missile Launch Systems x 15 twin-missile cells
            ~10 x Mk. 2 Modular Missile Launch Systems x 3 missile cells each
            ~Total missile compliment: 90
            Defenses:
            ~Asgard shields
            ~Sodan cloaking device
            ~Reactive armor plating
            ~Inert naquada armor in key areas.
            Other Technology:
            ~AEGIS Combat System Mk. 8
            ~Asgard transporters
            ~Asgard sensors
            ~Gou'ald Rings
            ~Two underside small craft/landing bays

Technical and Historical Notes:

The United States Navy had been involved in the Stargate Program since 2000, after the Belinsker crashed into the Atlantic and a Russian submarine was taken over by Replicators. However, their involvement was noticeably absent for the Prometheus Project. This was deemed unacceptable by the US Navy. After all, they were responsible for constructing Earth-based ships-How could they not be involved in the construction of a space-based navy? After extensive lobbying by the Navy, Congress issued a requirement for a smaller, more easily constructed starship class to supplement the BC-303 and later DSC-304 class vessels.

The project, codenamed "Abydos", began in November 2003 at a slow pace, but was accelerated after Anubis's assault on Earth in early 2004.

Electric Boat was selected by the Navy to create the X-305 Abydos-class starship. The fundamentals for building starships and submarines were actually very similar, and Electric Boat's facilities were, as a rule, closed-off and secure. It would not do for the average dock worker to notice a spaceship being built in a submarine hangar. Electric Boat quickly assembled a team of their best engineers, most of which having experience with space-related programs, and were given
            considerable assistance from SGC personnel. Heading the project was Commander R. Doyle Gillespie, a former ballistic missile submarine officer with twenty years of experience in the Navy. He also had a doctorate in mathematics.

To save on production costs and time, the X-305's hull was heavily based on production work done by General Dynamics on the new Zumwalt-class guided missile destroyer, then under construction at Newport News. It's boxy, stealthy design was perfect for a starship, with most of it's components easily adapted for space. It's hull was as linear as possible, to reduce it's forward sensor cross-section and make it more difficult to target from the front. Only it's "wings" and boathouse protrude from the central hull, it's remaining systems integrated into the vessel's interior structure wherever possible.

The ship was built mainly of steel, rather than trinium, to save on costs. New lightweight composite reactive armor was added to the cruiser's hull instead of trinium, which helped save weight and money and made her almost as durable as her "big sister" Prometheus.

The X-305, however, almost from it's first day of construction work, faced considerable difficulties. Intended from the start to have a cloaking device, current attempts by Area 51 to reverse-engineer Goa'uld cloaking technology had proven so far fruitless. The new IPS-6 ion engines, developed with assistance from the Hebridians, proved too power hungry for the single Mk. II naquada reactor to run. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Raytheon-developed NOVA 1.25 petawatt laser cannon was also too power intensive for the little ship.

Commander Gillespie and his team launched an independent project of their own, with assistance from Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, to create an entirely new reactor system for the X-305. A crash-course development program followed, using several theoretical concepts currently on the drawing boards for future naquada reactor designs. After three near-explosions on-site, the team finally scrapped their current reactor designs and designed an entirely new system from the ground up. In April 2004, the Mk. III naquada reactor was successfully tested and certified for deployment, with the first prototype being installed in the X-305. It easily delivered more than five times the power of a Mk. II reactor (60 gigawatts), and nearly overnight solved the major problems facing the Abydos
            project. The Mk. III was soon adapted for use in other ships and facilities.

With the powerplant problem solved, the Abydos Team focused on the ship's new weapon systems. The new Mk. VIII tactical missile was selected as the X-305's weapon of choice, and two 30-cell Mk. 42 vertical missile launch systems were intitially chosen to house the Abydos's missiles. Unfortunately, it was soon apparent that the Mk. 42 was too large to fit in the hull of the X-305 without extensive modification to the starship. Again borrowing from the Zumwalt-class destroyer program, the Abydos Team procured and tested a few examples of the prototype Mk. 43 Periphial Vertical Missile Launch System (PVMLS). Developed for the Zumwalt, the PVMLS used sets of two vertical missile cells arranged linearly, to be placed in the outer sections of the guided missile destroyer's hull. This concept kept the missile packs better separated to avoid catastrophic damage if the ship was struck, and could easily be modified to be integrated into the hull of the Abydos.
            Two sets of thirty launchers were placed into the hull of the Abydos, ahead of the boathouse and behind the ship's large bow, which housed the vessel's primary sensor arrays and laser.

To supplement the X-305's already considerable missile armament, the latest torpedo launching system developed for the next generation of attack submarine was procured. The Modular Missile Launch System (MMLS) uses "clips" of torpedoes (or, in this case, missiles) that are held on either side of the ship's main hull. These clips each hold three missiles, and can swing out to launch their payloads and then close back up again. The X-305 carries ten such launchers, bringing her total missile payload
            up to 90 weapons.

From the start, the X-305 was intended to make use of a cloaking device. She was forced to rely on the cloak taken from a captured Al'Kesh, since reverse-engineering cloaking technology was currently beyond human science. However, after first contact with the Sodan, Stargate Command had collected and studied enough Sodan personal cloaks to modify the devices for use on ships. Abydos was the first vessel to receive the new cloak and has made excellent use of it ever since.

The Abydos (now designated SCG-305) was launched on February 14th, 2005, only months after the defeat of the Goa'uld. Her initial flight tests and shakedown were uneventful, but her first hyperspace window test was a complete disaster. Her hyperdrive window generators cut out only five seconds after activation and she abruptly fell out of hyperspace in a dangerously low orbit around Jupiter. Only the actions of the Asgard engineer Tyr saved the ship and crew from total destruction. Depressed, Commander Gillespie had the ship towed back to Earth orbit by the Prometheus. The Asgard hyperdrive, though a lower-rated model than those employed by Asagrd ships of the line, had been unprepared for the sudden overflow of energy from the Abydos's main reactor and had
            overloaded. Repairs and modifications followed, with the second test flight on March 9th exceeding beyond all expectations.

Abydos was able to outrun the Prometheus in normal space and kept up with her in hyperspeed. Unfortunately, Prometheus was destroyed before Abydos could undertake her final shakedown cruise, and thus had to wait for the Odyessey to be finished. The Abydos had to wait another week before the Odyssey returned to the Sol System after rescuing SG-1. Finally, the Abydos was commissioned and formally joined the United States Navy in April
            of 2006.

Additional vessels of the class were already under construction:The Yggdrasil, Delphi, and the Atlantis, the latter being under the control of the Air Force. The Russians and British also ordered Abydos-class starships, and received the Sputnik and the Dauntless only
            three months after the Abydos was launched. The relative ease of the Abydos's construction is swiftly making her the preferred Earth ship of the line.

Unfortunately, with the war against the Ori, losses of Abydos-class starships have already occurred. The Atlantis was destroyed while engaging an Ori battleship in orbit around Chulak, shortly after the Ori's invasion of that world. The Delphi was lost in action at the Battle of
            P3Y-226. The Abydos herself suffered heavy damage in the Battle of P3Y-226, but was able to escape after evacuating twenty-seven survivors from the Korolev. Production of Abydos class starships continues, and alongside their smaller counterparts the Thor-class destroyers, are beginning to form the core of the Earth space fleets.

Last edited by Andrew Joshua Talon; 08 August 2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Still working on her. I'd rather be generating the concepts and ideas behind her rather than giving a rambling vanilla list of specs like 2 ion engines, 20 railcannons, 2 asgard shield generators, naquada armor plating, ori stolen shields, blah blah blah.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Armagaiden
                Still working on her. I'd rather be generating the concepts and ideas behind her rather than giving a rambling vanilla list of specs like 2 ion engines, 20 railcannons, 2 asgard shield generators, naquada armor plating, ori stolen shields, blah blah blah.
                Uh... Dude, you spelled "Aegis" wrong.

Comment

Aegeus is something different from Aegis. And how did I help complete Abydos?

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                    Aegeus is something different from Aegis. And how did I help complete Abydos?
                    You drew her. Finalized her form for me. That's how. Oh! And you gave her a little sister, the Thor.

Comment

Yay for Thor!

And my drawing of Abydos was pretty much the same as your final drawing of it.

Comment

Hey..do you have a list of all of the ships in our fleet and their designations?

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                          Hey..do you have a list of all of the ships in our fleet and their designations?
                          Not quite. But I'm working on it!

Comment

Okie doke.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                              Uh... Dude, you spelled "Aegis" wrong.
                              Umm, no dude, unlike most of you, I'm keeping with Current Stargate Earth canon in naming their ships after greek mythology/history, with the Korolev being the exception considering it's a Slavic spacecraft with the name of the pioneering rocket scientist.

(Prometheus: A Titan who stole fire from Olympus and gave it to humankind, for which Zeus chained him to a rock and sent an eagle to eat his liver, which grew back daily. )

(Daedalus: A renowned craftsman, sculptor, and inventor and builder of the Labyrinth. He fashioned the wings with which he and his son Icarus escaped from Crete after their imprisonment by Minos.)

(Odyssey: The younger of the two surviving ancient Greek epic poems, traditionally ascribed to Homer but containing much orally transmitted material composed over several centuries, and concerning the adventures and ordeals of the Greek warrior Odysseus after the fall of Troy as he struggles to return home and reestablish himself as king of Ithaca)

(Aegeus: A king of Athens and the father of Theseus.)

But thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Armagaiden
                                Umm, no dude, unlike most of you, I'm keeping with Current Stargate Earth canon in naming their ships after greek mythology/history, with the Korolev being the exception considering it's a Slavic spacecraft with the name of the pioneering rocket scientist.

(Prometheus: A Titan who stole fire from Olympus and gave it to humankind, for which Zeus chained him to a rock and sent an eagle to eat his liver, which grew back daily. )

(Daedalus: A renowned craftsman, sculptor, and inventor and builder of the Labyrinth. He fashioned the wings with which he and his son Icarus escaped from Crete after their imprisonment by Minos.)

(Odyssey: The younger of the two surviving ancient Greek epic poems, traditionally ascribed to Homer but containing much orally transmitted material composed over several centuries, and concerning the adventures and ordeals of the Greek warrior Odysseus after the fall of Troy as he struggles to return home and reestablish himself as king of Ithaca)

(Aegeus: A king of Athens and the father of Theseus.)

But thanks for sharing.
                                Sorry, I thought you were naming your ship after Aegis, the shield of Zeus. I didn't think you were dumb, or incompetent, I merely made a mistake. I am sorry about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X