This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/abydos01.png

Okay, so there it is with everything done. The engines look kinda weird. o_o

Comment

No clue what's up with my photobucket today..but this one should work, unlike the other one.
      http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/abydos02.png

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
        No clue what's up with my photobucket today..but this one should work, unlike the other one.
        http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/abydos02.png
        Nicely done! Just make the wings a little shorter, like on my version, and she'll be set!

Comment

Actually they have about the same size wings when you scale my version down to be the same length as yours. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...comparison.png

Comment

Actually they have about the same size wings when you scale my version down to be the same length as yours. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...comparison.png
            Well, true. The scale must be off, damnit.

She's supposed to be about as long as the Prometheus (around 200 meters), but much more compact and shorter. With 90 missiles, her coil guns, and a single laser cannon, she's definitely a cruiser-type vessel. Her blocky shape just seemed to scream "destroyer" to me.

Anyway, she's supposed to be fast, heavily armed, and stealthy.

Comment

Well..did you want me to change anything?

Comment

Well..did you want me to change anything?
                Nah. Her hull is sleek enough to be considered a cruiser type, I think. Of course, you can always create a unique version of it, and I can write specs up for her.

Comment

Nah, that's okay. I like this design. More than my ships anyway.

Comment

Nah, that's okay. I like this design. More than my ships anyway.
                    Why? Your ships are excellent! The Thor and the Columbia are awesome! With the Abydos, we can create carrier battle groups!

Comment

Yeah, but your's are more original. Mine look too much like Daedalus and Prometheus. But I do agree that Thor looks cool. Columbia though..not the coolest looking ship in my opinion.

And yeah..we could almost create our own fleet. xD

Comment

Yeah, but your's are more original. Mine look too much like Daedalus and Prometheus. But I do agree that Thor looks cool. Columbia though..not the coolest looking ship in my opinion.

And yeah..we could almost create our own fleet. xD
                        We could totally kick the ass of the Gateworld Virtual fleet.

Comment

Well, I'm working on a new vessel right now called Aither. I'll finish that later..SG-1 is on.

Comment

Well, I'm working on a new vessel right now called Aither. I'll finish that later..SG-1 is on.
                            LOL, indeed! It was pretty good. Atlantis was better though.

Now, for something completely different:

The United States generally has the following naming conventions for their ships by type:

-Aircraft carriers: Presidents and other statesmen who supported the Navy
                            -Battleships: States
                            -Cruisers: Cities or battles the US won
                            -Destroyers: Famous people who were in the Navy, or supported the Navy in smaller ways.
                            -Frigates: US Navy war heroes
                            -Submarines: US cities or states; occassionally people.

However, for the US space fleet, the following naming conventions, I think, should apply, given the names so far:

-Motherships: Mythological heroes (Daedalus, Perseus etc.)
                            -Carriers: US spacecraft (Columbia, Challenger, etc.)
                            -Battleships: Mythological monsters (Leviathan)
                            -Cruisers: Mythological places or cities
                            -Destroyers: Mythological figures from a wide variety of sources.
                            -Gunships/Frigates: Friendly peoples or planets the SGC has encountered
                            -Support ships: Famous US military operations and/or ships.

Obviously this doesn't have to apply to all ships, but it might make it more authentic if all the ships of a class are named for the same things.
                            Last edited by Andrew Joshua Talon; 04 August 2006, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Why has this thread regressed?

Cooky, no rush, but I'm sure everyone is anxious to see your designs for the ships that are going to be in the battle, so when you're done with each one, go ahead and post it.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, wrong thread.

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

I've been doing that with my ships. Though I chose different criteria.

My carrier design takes names from American State Capitals. And my cruiser design takes names from Air Force Generals.

Comment

Working...
                                X