This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immhotep
    in space their is no friction, so the shape shouldnt be an issue, unless it was planning to land, which im guessing its not, other than that, i think theres too many missile launchers 192 per ship would make its costs less cheap...other than that...yeah great design.
    You're right, this ship is never meant to land on a planet but it is designed to enter and maneuver in an atmosphere(as well as a few hundred feet under water).

Yeah I agree that's alot of missile launchers but you should have seen it before I took over half of them off. Would 96 launchers be better?

Comment

48 would be be even better, 196 x 5 missiles each, thats a heck of alot of ammo needed...48 = 240 missiles, thats not that many compared to before.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

48 would be be even better, 196 x 5 missiles each, thats a heck of alot of ammo needed...48 = 240 missiles, thats not that many compared to before.
        True but I'm going to have to figure out how many missiles is the maximum you could have on this design. After all it is a large combat ship specifically designed to put large holes in stuff and blow things up. But 48 sounds pretty good for now, I'll modify the picture then the stats later.

Comment

If the puspose is to blow holes in stuff then the need to go in to the atmostphere and underwater isnt a requirement, lots of firepower, missiles and the like can be fired from orbit...how many times did you see a hatak land or fly in the atmosphere...less than 10 times i bet.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

If the puspose is to blow holes in stuff then the need to go in to the atmostphere and underwater isnt a requirement, lots of firepower, missiles and the like can be fired from orbit...how many times did you see a hatak land or fly in the atmosphere...less than 10 times i bet.
            Very true but after seeing a Ha'Tak get sunk, the Beliskner break up then sink in an ocean, and a puddle jumper crash and go the the bottom of a sea I just figured that the ship having those abilities would make it slightly safer and much more versatile.

The difference between this ship and a Ha'Tak(besides the size) is that Ha'Taks have energy cannons but the Gilgamesh has Coil-Cannons which might lose some effectiveness if fired from orbit. The same can be said for the missiles. Besides its a good psychological weapon to have a large warship approach ground troops and make a couple good sized craters with its guns.

If any of that didn't make any sense then I only can say one thing...

"LOOK OVER THERE IT'S SOME KIND OF DEMONIC DUCK!!!!!"
            -taken from El Goonish Shive
            Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 November 2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

in space their is no friction, so the shape shouldnt be an issue, unless it was planning to land, which im guessing its not, other than that, i think theres too many missile launchers 192 per ship would make its costs less cheap...other than that...yeah great design.
              True theres no friction, but theres still the problem of the size of a ships turning circle (aka manouvability), I think that is what Daryl's getting at. Theres still that aspect.

Comment

by the looks of it that ship has most of its guns on turrets...not really a need for a turning circle...but i get what you mean.
                sigpic
                11000! green me

Comment

by the looks of it that ship has most of its guns on turrets...not really a need for a turning circle...but i get what you mean.
                  Actually I have all of my guns on turrets but that doesn't mean I can hit anything within range of my guns. My ships aft section is very vulnerable.

Comment

Here's an ultra hi-res image of my hexagonal ship structure

I've used the Pillar of Autumn texture and skewed it to give perspective

Cool, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                      Here's an ultra hi-res image of my hexagonal ship structure

I've used the Pillar of Autumn texture and skewed it to give perspective

Cool, huh?
                      Well its definately interesting but you've cut out all distinguishing* features on so now all I see is a hexagonal bar with nifty metal plating on it.

*spell check me.
                      Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 November 2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                        Well its definately interesting but you've cut out all distinguising* features on so now all I see is a hexagonal bar with nifty metal plating on it.

*spell check me.
                        Yeah. I'm just sorta playing with texturing the ship so it looks nice and 3D

I'm going to be developing it

I need to add:
                        - Missile pods
                        - MAC cluster

I'm going to concentrate on this design, maybe draw up some schematics etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                          Yeah. I'm just sorta playing with texturing the ship so it looks nice and 3D

I'm going to be developing it

I need to add:
                          - Missile pods
                          - MAC cluster

I'm going to concentrate on this design, maybe draw up some schematics etc.
                          Cool.

Comment

yeah i like the look of the craft but i dont actually see the point in it...is it just a metal tube in space? i assume its a ship but doesnt actually look that cool in term of what it can do..
                            Last edited by immhotep; 27 May 2006, 05:57 AM.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

yeah i like the look of the craft but i dont actually see the point in it...is it just a metal tube in space? i assume its a ship but doesnt actually look that cool in term of waht i can do..
                              Really? What can you do?

Comment

I felt like trying this out again:

X-400: Blitz Class

Dimensions
                                - Length: 150m
                                - Height: 50m
                                - Width: 75m

Defenses
                                - Asgard-Designed Shield
                                - Titanium/Trinium Hull

Power
                                - Primary Naquadah Generator (Mark I Ship Design)
                                - Secondary Naquadah Reactors (Weapon Variant)

Weapons
                                - 15 Primary "Blitz" Rail Gun Systems
                                - 30 Secondary Anti-Fighter Rail Gun Systems

With issues dealing with Ori Toilet-Class ships, the International Committee decided a new ship class was needed. To that end, they approved the construction of the Blitz, a battleship design capable of causing massive damage against Ori ships. The ship carries a number of Blitz Rail Guns - elongated and power-hungry weapons which deliver 1kg projectiles at .5c, or one-half the speed of light. The ship also carries thirty secondary rail guns for anti-fighter use, and as backup weapons.
                                This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X