Role: Anti-Fighter frigate
    Technology base: Tau'ri/Asgard/Goa'uld
    Dimensions:
    ~Length: 152m
    ~Width: 94m
    ~Height: 50m
    Decks: 9
    Crew: 55
    Powerplant: Deep Space Carrier class reactor.
    Engines:
    ~Four ion sublight drives
    ~Asgard hyperdrive, identical to that of the DSC
    Hull: Titanium/Trinium mix. with a "ribs" for added support and protection. (Note:Railguns are situated inbetween the "ribs" to prevent multiple losses with one hit.)
    Weaponry:
    ~25 railguns (Able to fire in 3 modes:Independent targeting, Perimeter, and Salvo.)
    ~2 verticle launch missle silos
    Ordnance:
    ~10,000 Rounds per railgun, of new flak ammunition.
    ~5 "Last resort" Mark-8 tactical warheads
    Defenses: X-303 Asgard shields.
    Other Technology:
    ~Goa'uld Rings
    ~Asgard Sensors
    Ships in the class:
    ~Defiant
    ~Trition
    ~Black Dahlia
    ~Cairo
    ~Atlantia
    ~Athens
    ~Krakow
    ~Acropolis
    ~Titan
    ~Solaria

The Defiant Class Frigate was designed mainly as an Anti-Fighter warship for the war against the wraith, cabable of destroying whole squadrons with relative ease thanks to the new Flak railgun ammunition. In major battles the Defiant class acts as a support ship to the larger warships, working in unison with other ships in its class to make a flak barrier around the fleet. Although almost useless against shielded targets the flak rounds in slavo mode are punishing to hulls of unshielded targets such as wraith hive ships. The Defiant class is noteably missing Asgard beaming technology due to Asgard worries about proper use of technology. The first ship fittingly named the Defiant is expected to be completed as soon as late 2007.

I hope you like it. Your thoughs about things that should be changed/refined are greatly appreciated.

Edit:I just thought I might add that this is my first ship ever.
    Last edited by Helo; 30 July 2006, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The frak ammo sounds very interesting, could we have some more info on it? And AJT? Good job, I like the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fisher
        The frak ammo sounds very interesting, could we have some more info on it? And AJT? Good job, I like the ship.
        The flak ammo is basically the same thing as real world flak rounds that have been in use since world war one. Except these flak round would be more powerful, with a 360 degree radius of about 8-10m. When in perimeter mode the railguns would create a wall of exploding flak rounds to impede fighter progress. Then in Independent targeting the railguns will target individual fighters and the flak rounds being explosive and at such a high speed, one round is almost always guaranteed a kill, thanks to the advanced targeting systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
          The flak ammo is basically the same thing as real world flak rounds that have been in use since world war one. Except these flak round would be more powerful, with a 360 degree radius of about 8-10m. When in perimeter mode the railguns would create a wall of exploding flak rounds to impede fighter progress. Then in Independent targeting the railguns will target individual fighters and the flak rounds being explosive and at such a high speed, one round is almost always guaranteed a kill, thanks to the advanced targeting systems.
          Good idea, do you mind if I use them? I'll credit you for it.

Comment

Good idea, do you mind if I use them? I'll credit you for it.
            Yea go ahead. What is it going to be used on?

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
              Yea go ahead. What is it going to be used on?
              On my variation of the DSC-304.

Comment

On my variation of the DSC-304.
                Im suprised noone thought of the idea of Flak rounds before me, their pretty common on most warships. And the prometheus had them before it got railguns.

Comment

Rail guns don't aren't made to fire explosive rounds. The speed of the rounds creates kinetic energy greater than the yield of explosives of bigger size. So you get lighter rounds without the dangers of carrying explosive rounds. You could always add another type of gun that fired this ammunition, though flak rounds are pretty much being replaced by missiles.

Comment

Ok I already posted some of my designs back in the early parts of this thread but here's another one...

Tau'Ri Battleship

Using and expending upon the same general philosophy laid out in the heavy cruiser this thing is going to be a no nonsense no fancy stuff warship suitable for limited mass production.

Dimensions

Length 2200 meters
                    Width 700 meters
                    Beam 500 meters

Weapons

4x Quad barrled dosal 600mm railgun turrets.
                    4x Quad barrled ventral 600mm railgun turrets

12x ventral 200mm railgun
                    12x dorsal 200mm railgun

4x forward facing axial railgun.

60x VLS missile tubes

600/200mm railgun turrets

Each 600mm turret contains 4 individual barrels that will fire warheads of a similar size to the "space mines" used by colonel Emmerson in the siege. Target yeild 1 gigaton per warhead as per the 1200 megaton space mines.

The turrets are arranged in the same fashion as those on a Iowa class battleship with the addition of a turret to the rear arc stacked above the existing one in the same fashion as the forward turrets. This arrangment is then duplicated on the ventral (bottem) surface of the ship. This will give a potential for a full on 8 turret broadside containing 32 individual 1 gigaton warheads. The reason I'm using nukes here is two fold.

1) It means I don't have to waste humungo amounts of power hyper accelerating a slug to the speed where it'll be able to deal a gigaton's worth of damage.

2) A lower velocity explosive warhead opens the possibility of breaching the armour before it explode causing much more severe damage than would a "through and through" type railgun hit. Hiveships would absolutely hate this.

Secondary 200mm turrets will contain only a single barrel and will fire smaller nuclear warheads aimed at damaging smaller lighter ships or tighly clustered masses of fighters.

The nukes will be set to detonate either on impact, a given amount of time after they've left the barrels, or a fraction of a second after impact, by computer setting from the gunner's position prior to firing.

Axial Railguns

These will run the full length of the ship, be powered directly by the hyperspace reactor and fire various types of extremely large (like car sized) slug as close to the speed of light as I can get them.

Some shell types will include.

KE solid impactor

Car sized naquada enhanced nuke of ultimate doom

Submunition round that breaks up into thousands upon thousands of ultra high velocity pellets to ruin things like dart screens or lesser ships in fairly close proximity.

VLS tubes

The same weapon used by the Daedalus. These will be mounted in a series of rings or grids on the top and bottem of the ship in the space between the fore and aft gun turrets.

They will however primarily be used to attack planetary based targets and smaller manuverable ships that the guns can't track reliably and the PD missiles aren't potent enough to damage.

point defence

40x SAM battery with vectored thust missiles (same thing the 302s use only in a battery now)

40x Daedalus pattern railgun PD battery

Two layers of point defence. Missiles for longer range attacks and clearing out things like dart screens and railguns for in close or just to throw more lead in the air.

Engines

The ship will use the same engine technology presently in use in the Daedalus and Odessey. The potential addition of a second hyperspace reactor to account for the larger size will likely be necessary however.

Defences

The ship will utilize the same design philosophy as the heavy cruiser. It's outer hull will be extremely heavily armoured with layers of naquada trinium and whatever else I can find, internal bulkheads in key locations will be made to similar levels of thickness and individuals sections will be sealed during combat via pressure doors.

It will also use 2 seperate shield grids of similar design to those used on the Daedalus. The idea being that once one shield grid fails or is near failrure the second one will take over while the first one is allowed to rest, regenerate and be repaired by damage control crews. By cycling the shields in this way the life of both grids is significantly extended in combat.

Crew

The roughly 5000 man crew will be comprised of US Navy personnel not airforce officers.

Comment

oooooooooo....very powerful though i'm not sure earth could build one of those in the near future
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Heres my variant on the daedulus: Called the Icarus.

Specs:

Dimensions:
                        Length 400m
                        Width: 175m
                        Height: 90m
                        Volume: 6.3 million cubic metres

Material:
                        Reinforced Trinium Titanium

Power:
                        5 Mark III Naquadah Generators

Engines:
                        Asgard hyperspace generator
                        5x Ion sublight engines (capable of speeds upto 85% LS, includes a booster (2 extra sublight engines. adding a further 5% to the top speed)
                        6x Manoeuvring thrusters

Defensive weaponry:
                        4x "star wars missile defence system" ship-based laser cannons (for anti-missile defense)
                        6x 2nd generation railguns, with 7000 rounds but the same size rounds as the first generation but capable of mach 20 instead of mach 5.

Offensive weaponry:
                        32x Mark VIII naquadah enhanced nuclear missiles (16 silos)
                        8x Mark IX Naquadah enhanced nuclear missiles (4 silos)
                        3x first generation tauri/asgard designed ion cannons.

Shields:
                        1x Asgard "close-in" shield generator

Armour:
                        1.5m of ionisied reinforced trinium titanium

Stealth:
                        Stealth material
                        "holographic" Active camouflage

Fighters:
                        32x F-302s

Other:
                        ECM
                        ECCM
                        Asgard sensors,
                        Asgard beaming tech
                        Rings

History of the Icarus
                        The Icarus class, is the 3rd variant of the daedulus class Battlecarrier.
                        While the daedulus and odessey have been refitted twice, it got to the point where a new battlecarrier was needed. The ori were getting closer to Earth and the Tauri needed a new ship. Seeing as the tauri had helped the asgard so much, the asgard decided to fully co-operate with the design of the ship and it's weapons and shields. Although they wouldn't give us any offensive weapons, they helped us design and build our first beam weapon the TASIC which stands for Tauri and Asgard Ship-based Ion Cannon.
                        Another new feature is a "close in" shield generator. Instead of a bubble far from the hull of the ship, the close in shield is only 2 metres from the hull. This stops any hyperdrive fighter from using hyperspace to get behind the hull. It uses less power than the bubble shield, hence more energy can be used to make it more powerful. The asgard are currently fitting all their ships with it.
                        About 3 years ago, the americans (with the help of the british) wanted to build an anti-missile defense system in space, to defend them and the UK from any country who decided to attack them with cruise,scud missiles or missiles of mass destruction. The project now has been connected with the Icarus project. Hence laser defence cannons onboard the ship.
                        Another new upgrade is the booster, able to fold away when not in use. But can give the advantage to the Icarus when in a chase. It uses a lot more Ion power, but allows the ship to boost to a speed of 90% LS, compared to the normal 85% LS.
                        The final upgrade is a primarily British idea, using tiny cameras on a reflective surface an object can be rendered invisible. That is active camouflage. Holographic active camouflage, uses the same idea but uses a picture of any ship and then reflects it onto the surface material. This disguises the craft as another. Although the ship cant become the same size as the ship it is disguising, it maybe still possible to use to lure the enemy into a false sense of security.
                        This is a USAF/RAF ship, to be launched in the summer of 2008.
                        First commander of the ship will be Captain Jack Slater of the RAF.
                        Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 31 July 2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                          oooooooooo....very powerful though i'm not sure earth could build one of those in the near future
                          There's nothing there that we don't already have it's just a matter of scale. they would probably have to build it offworld though. I'll admit that. That thing is not ever going to land or take off from a planet and I'd imagine someone might notice it under construction in Earth's orbit.

The cruiser I did up earlier and linked in my previous post is something they could do right now.

Comment

There's nothing there that we don't already have it's just a matter of scale. they would probably have to build it offworld though. I'll admit that. That thing is not ever going to land or take off from a planet and I'd imagine someone might notice it under construction in Earth's orbit.

The cruiser I did up earlier and linked in my previous post is something they could do right now.
                            thats what i ment for earth to it would be difficult without a huge offworld facility...or atleast public knowledge of the sgc
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                              Rail guns don't aren't made to fire explosive rounds. The speed of the rounds creates kinetic energy greater than the yield of explosives of bigger size. So you get lighter rounds without the dangers of carrying explosive rounds. You could always add another type of gun that fired this ammunition, though flak rounds are pretty much being replaced by missiles.
                              I know how a railguns works. The reason for making the rounds for railguns is becuase i tried to make this ship as realistic as possible, and railguns are already in production for the DSC. thats also why alot of the components are from the DCS or the X-303 class. Also, flak rounds will never be fully replaced by missles, otherwise the USA would be putting phlanxes on mostly all of their warships.

Edit:I beleive in making realistic ships, so I try to stay away from fanwank designs and try to make my ships have technology that is already out there in the stargate universe, and the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                                Ok I already posted some of my designs back in the early parts of this thread but here's another one...

Tau'Ri Battleship

Using and expending upon the same general philosophy laid out in the heavy cruiser this thing is going to be a no nonsense no fancy stuff warship suitable for limited mass production.

Dimensions

Length 2200 meters
                                Width 700 meters
                                Beam 500 meters

Weapons

4x Quad barrled dosal 600mm railgun turrets.
                                4x Quad barrled ventral 600mm railgun turrets

12x ventral 200mm railgun
                                12x dorsal 200mm railgun

4x forward facing axial railgun.

60x VLS missile tubes

600/200mm railgun turrets

Each 600mm turret contains 4 individual barrels that will fire warheads of a similar size to the "space mines" used by colonel Emmerson in the siege. Target yeild 1 gigaton per warhead as per the 1200 megaton space mines.

The turrets are arranged in the same fashion as those on a Iowa class battleship with the addition of a turret to the rear arc stacked above the existing one in the same fashion as the forward turrets. This arrangment is then duplicated on the ventral (bottem) surface of the ship. This will give a potential for a full on 8 turret broadside containing 32 individual 1 gigaton warheads. The reason I'm using nukes here is two fold.

1) It means I don't have to waste humungo amounts of power hyper accelerating a slug to the speed where it'll be able to deal a gigaton's worth of damage.

2) A lower velocity explosive warhead opens the possibility of breaching the armour before it explode causing much more severe damage than would a "through and through" type railgun hit. Hiveships would absolutely hate this.

Secondary 200mm turrets will contain only a single barrel and will fire smaller nuclear warheads aimed at damaging smaller lighter ships or tighly clustered masses of fighters.

The nukes will be set to detonate either on impact, a given amount of time after they've left the barrels, or a fraction of a second after impact, by computer setting from the gunner's position prior to firing.

Axial Railguns

These will run the full length of the ship, be powered directly by the hyperspace reactor and fire various types of extremely large (like car sized) slug as close to the speed of light as I can get them.

Some shell types will include.

KE solid impactor

Car sized naquada enhanced nuke of ultimate doom

Submunition round that breaks up into thousands upon thousands of ultra high velocity pellets to ruin things like dart screens or lesser ships in fairly close proximity.

VLS tubes

The same weapon used by the Daedalus. These will be mounted in a series of rings or grids on the top and bottem of the ship in the space between the fore and aft gun turrets.

They will however primarily be used to attack planetary based targets and smaller manuverable ships that the guns can't track reliably and the PD missiles aren't potent enough to damage.

point defence

40x SAM battery with vectored thust missiles (same thing the 302s use only in a battery now)

40x Daedalus pattern railgun PD battery

Two layers of point defence. Missiles for longer range attacks and clearing out things like dart screens and railguns for in close or just to throw more lead in the air.

Engines

The ship will use the same engine technology presently in use in the Daedalus and Odessey. The potential addition of a second hyperspace reactor to account for the larger size will likely be necessary however.

Defences

The ship will utilize the same design philosophy as the heavy cruiser. It's outer hull will be extremely heavily armoured with layers of naquada trinium and whatever else I can find, internal bulkheads in key locations will be made to similar levels of thickness and individuals sections will be sealed during combat via pressure doors.

It will also use 2 seperate shield grids of similar design to those used on the Daedalus. The idea being that once one shield grid fails or is near failrure the second one will take over while the first one is allowed to rest, regenerate and be repaired by damage control crews. By cycling the shields in this way the life of both grids is significantly extended in combat.

Crew

The roughly 5000 man crew will be comprised of US Navy personnel not airforce officers.

Ahem... This is dangerous close to fanwank simply because of it's size. Still, it's something we might build... FAR down the road. Of course, bigger is not always better, so otherwise? Not bad, not bad at all.

Davidtourniquet, not a bad design, but she's more like a DSC-304-based design rather than a variant of a DSC. Still, nicely done.

And Helo? You're getting some green. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                                X