Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That may be somewhat true, however I personally won't dismiss all pure text 'designs' as fanwank until I have read them and found something much too far out of StarGate canon to abide by in them.

Besides that several designs started out as pure text ones and were developed into 3D models by the original makers. So I think it is alright to make text designs, though please don't go crazy with them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
      That may be somewhat true, however I personally won't dismiss all pure text 'designs' as fanwank until I have read them and found something much too far out of StarGate canon to abide by in them.

Besides that several designs started out as pure text ones and were developed into 3D models by the original makers. So I think it is alright to make text designs, though please don't go crazy with them alone.
      Agreed.

Comment

well an excellent text design might work out great. unfortunately most text designs get submitted by people who thought 10 seconds about it and came up with something either fanwank or overpowered with weaknesses that makes it impractical

Comment

Here is something that I thought about that long on. The distance between the near ship and the far one is a bit over three miles. The near ship is 65m in length.

Spoiler:

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
            Yeah. But 3D models have become a sort of prolonged fad on this thread.

Here area a few that I threw together today for fun.

Looks very Close Encounterish, nice though with a bit more work.

Spoiler:
            On the topic of text designs, if they are submitted in the guise of a ship to be eventually modelled and are not in the realm of uber fantasy, some of them can be rather interesting. Both my 310 and 340's started from a random scrap of notes
            My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
            sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

some of us do not have access to modeling technology and thus must rely on fanwank text ships
              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                On the topic of text designs, if they are submitted in the guise of a ship to be eventually modelled and are not in the realm of uber fantasy, some of them can be rather interesting. Both my 310 and 340's started from a random scrap of notes
                Something special Alx made for me started out similarly It shall be posted soon as it's something i deem very very special
                Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

They only verge on Fanwank when they start to take on the dimensions of a 5 year olds fantasy. Outside of that, if it sounds and looks feasable, go for it. As an engineer I can tell you, that the best designs of almost anything will start as some crazy notion jotted down in notes
                  My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                  sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                    some of us do not have acsess to modeling technology and thus must rely on fanwank text ships
                    actually anyone with accses to the internet has acsess to "modeling tech"
                    first of all there is the simplest program there is Google Sketchup (freeware) then there is Blender (also freeware) but alittle more advanced and works much more like the Top of the line softwares out there but the learning curve is considerably steeper then Sketchup.

Comment

so..this thread is still only intended for modeling
                      R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                        actually anyone with accses to the internet has acsess to "modeling tech"
                        first of all there is the simplest program there is Google Sketchup (freeware) then there is Blender (also freeware) but alittle more advanced and works much more like the Top of the line softwares out there but the learning curve is considerably steeper then Sketchup.
                        thanx fr mentionin Blendr; I was beginnin like I was tryin to draw the best-lookin block-shapes I could on sketchup, fr 2 reasons effectin each other
                        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                          so..this thread is still only intended for modeling
                          my personal prefference is models yes. as for the rest of the OSDT-ers i cant speak for them.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                            thanx fr mentionin Blendr; I was beginnin like I was tryin to draw the best-lookin block-shapes I could on sketchup, fr 2 reasons effectin each other
                            huh? say again?

Sketchup can do brilliant things look at some of my stuff all of it is made with SU and it can do it in half the time it takes in blender or most other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                              my personal prefference is models .
                              ok
                              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

i don't mind if we get ship ideas in image form or text form... though i do rather like to see LOOOOOOONG text posts narrowed down with a spoiler box or two, but thats just me.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Working...
                                X