• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colbmista View Post
    snazzy
    Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
    Very Snazzy.....
    thanks guys!

Comment

Even though I was not the one giving those compliments; you are very welcome. And yes it is a very snazzy model Alx.

Well here is a comparison of two types of primary habitation sections for my pseudo-'realistic' StarDrive starship.

Spoiler:

So which do you think better suits the style of ship I'm apparently working on? Squarish or rounded?

Comment

I have no idea what contaminated plasma has to do with anything. I'll stick with the funky fission reactor for now since there are no working hybrid reactors or fusion reactors as of yet. Now later in this sci-fi storyline a hybrid reactor may come into use but until then I'll go with the Mono-atomic uranium fuel Filament based reactor that I've made up recently.
        when you have a hybrid reactor, some of the material of the wall will come off and enter the plasma, which might reduce the efficiency and power of fusion. luckily, it seems the material forms droplets so it's not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          when you have a hybrid reactor, some of the material of the wall will come off and enter the plasma, which might reduce the efficiency and power of fusion. luckily, it seems the material forms droplets so it's not a big deal.
          I still do not have any idea why the stuff would reduce the efficiency nor why it forming droplets would make it not apply.

Comment

ah well i'm not an expert. but essentially, in fusion, D and T hit eachother all the time. this is what causes fusion. sometimes they repel eachother. adding larger atoms, will cause these atoms to repel D and T even more, and well, less atoms hit eachother and all.

Comment

The main reason I have no idea what you are talking about is because it appears that I have even less knowledge of these issues than you do.

EDIT:

Here is something fun, at least for me it is.
              Spoiler:
              Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 March 2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

i am interested in the physical aspect, not every last detail. all i know is, it's plausible, and more likely than pure fusion. there hasn't been much info on such a hybrid reactor, because perhaps people WANT pure fusion and could object to anything with fission.

the idea was only recently aired, and well, fusion hasn't reached such a point where hybrid fusion is possible. we just don't know enough yet

Comment

I've looked at every part of this model...ALX the level of detail in the buildings is gorgeous.

You should Destiny in the Water way!
                  This is mind boggling ALX...how on Earth did you progress so fast. I saw the progress but I still can't believe the final products you're putting out...utterly amazing.

Comment

But it is highly unlikely that they would have hybrid reactors tomorrow, later this year, or even in two years. Saying that it is a 'new type of fission' sounds slightly more likely than the hybrid reactor idea, at least it does to me.

Comment

Fusion is expected somewhere in 2050. hybrid can be working long before that

Comment

All of that is speculation. A nuclear fission reactor is currently not only possible but a widely known phenomenon with experienced designers and operators. Fusion reactors have yet to be successful. The basics are fairly well known however there has yet to be a design that has worked successfully at all. Hybrid reactors haven't even been built before.

My choice for a pure Nuclear Fission reactor is based on those.

By the way what did you think of that new view of my ship?

Comment

well ofcourse it depends on the funding and how lucky we are. fission is entering or has just entered Generation 4, which is incredibly safe and powerful. even when every person dies at once and the main computers run amok, nothing CAN go wrong. so the most realistic is fission. but not uber powerful. well, i'm not sure if there happen to be elements better than uranium?

Comment

I know it isn't that powerful, but it is more powerful than fuel cells or solar panels which are the only other in use power systems for spaceships. That along with the StarDrives decent efficiency makes this starship capable of 8760 times the speed of light, or about one light-year per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              well ofcourse it depends on the funding and how lucky we are. fission is entering or has just entered Generation 4, which is incredibly safe and powerful. even when every person dies at once and the main computers run amok, nothing CAN go wrong. so the most realistic is fission. but not uber powerful. well, i'm not sure if there happen to be elements better than uranium?
                              well you still have breeder reactors which somewhot keep producing more fissile materials than they consume. It's still fission but more optimized (and harder to control of course)
                              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

The other possible propulsion systems being explored for deep space are ION drives, a small one has been tested, though not very successful atm, the data looks promising
                                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Working...
                                X