Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, TripH, where did you get that texture for your ship? And where can I get it?

Comment

look a few pages back on this thread. theres a link to it somewhere
      All Fear the Triff

Comment

Ok, but a page number would have been nice.

Comment

Does anyone know what the inside diameter of the Stargate is? I'm making a gateship.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fisher
            Does anyone know what the inside diameter of the Stargate is? I'm making a gateship.
            I'd guess between 5.5-6m. Outside diameter is supposed to be 22ft.

Comment

Is there a thread where people can exchange ideas and methods of 3D ship making, or am I stuck shifting through this threads archives?

Comment

I have been working on by designs. I remind you these are early designs, especially the excalbur one. So I guest enjoy.

http://www.david-knowles.co.uk/Starg...gateships.html

As for thepost above I will stay I have seen any such posts or threads. Also I think perhaps ould be a good idea set up a thread for such topic. Where people can go and learn about 3d modeling and be guided to resources to help them.
                Last edited by knowles2; 26 September 2006, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2
                  I have been working on by designs. I remind you these are early designs, especially the excalbur one. So I guest enjoy.

http://www.david-knowles.co.uk/Starg...gateships.html

As for thepost above I will stay I have seen any such posts or threads. Also I think perhaps ould be a good idea set up a thread for such topic. Where people can go and learn about 3d modeling and be guided to resources to help them.
                  Rather than starting a new topic on these forums for this, I'd suggest going over to Scifi-Meshes.com. It is a site devoted to sci-fi 3d modelling and ironically has a stargate ship thread that is growing as fast as this one is.

I know a few of us are already posting over there, any more would be welcome.

Comment

Year I have got a member ship that site. I should use it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                      Well dude, we already have a fleet essentially. There isn't too much demand for dedicated support ships because we can just fly to a planet with a Stargate, dial up Earth and order spare parts. Refits are handled in docks that are rarely more than a few weeks away, so there isn't much need for mobile dock ships. Tel'tacs can serve as light cargo haulers and scouts between our capital ships. On the other hand, a larger cargo hauler that carries everything from missiles to toothpaste might be in order. Otherwise though, for the moment our fleet is pretty set. One carrier/assault ship, one mothership, two cruisers and a destroyer. The US Navy has more classes of ships, but only a relative low number of basic types: Carrier, assault ship, cruiser, destroyer, frigate, patrol boat, mine sweeper, submarine, auxilary.
                      Honestly, this is a really rediculous post. What "demand" are you talking about? Have you been in contact with the producers of the show and know exactly what they "require" in the reality of the show (when in fact they themselves have only had "two" classes of ship, one being a prototype [prometheus] for the actual fleet ships [daedalus/odyssey/korolev] and the other a representative of a generic broad fleet ship that encompasses just about everything?)? In this case, they don't need you or your already present "fleet" ships. They already have what's needed in the show.

Otherwise, people are perfectly enclined and allowed to come up with what they deem fit. It's all MAKE BELIEVE. One would think IN REALITY, it's better to have a fleet of existing classed starships than stargating "spare parts" to planets or whatever the hell you're talking about. I love how you're dictating a reality that has yet to be defined in a show that hasn't addressed it. Refits are handled in docks that are rarely more than a few weeks away??? Huh???? And tel'tacs can be utilized... riiiight. That's why in latest episode they clearly didn't even have a ship of their freaking own to go after the Odyssey after it got its ass handed to them.

Seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING??? Clearly we have NO tel'tek cargo ships of are own, and clearly even if we did we cannot rely on other people's technology and ships to provide for our own defense. If that was the case, we'd be using Ha'taks instead of earth based ships and whatever you guys have come up with to "claim" as the superior source of fleet classes.

Bottom line, people can create whatever the hell they want. None of this really matters, none of this is truly canon. And it's better that way because canon is never truly realistic...

Comment

Originally posted by Armagaiden
                        Honestly, this is a really rediculous post. What "demand" are you talking about? Have you been in contact with the producers of the show and know exactly what they "require" in the reality of the show (when in fact they themselves have only had "two" classes of ship, one being a prototype [prometheus] for the actual fleet ships [daedalus/odyssey/korolev] and the other a representative of a generic broad fleet ship that encompasses just about everything?)? In this case, they don't need you or your already present "fleet" ships. They already have what's needed in the show.

Otherwise, people are perfectly enclined and allowed to come up with what they deem fit. It's all MAKE BELIEVE. One would think IN REALITY, it's better to have a fleet of existing classed starships than stargating "spare parts" to planets or whatever the hell you're talking about. I love how you're dictating a reality that has yet to be defined in a show that hasn't addressed it. Refits are handled in docks that are rarely more than a few weeks away??? Huh???? And tel'tacs can be utilized... riiiight. That's why in latest episode they clearly didn't even have a ship of their freaking own to go after the Odyssey after it got its ass handed to them.

Seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING??? Clearly we have NO tel'tek cargo ships of are own, and clearly even if we did we cannot rely on other people's technology and ships to provide for our own defense. If that was the case, we'd be using Ha'taks instead of earth based ships and whatever you guys have come up with to "claim" as the superior source of fleet classes.

Bottom line, people can create whatever the hell they want. None of this really matters, none of this is truly canon. And it's better that way because canon is never truly realistic...
                        Dude. making a fleet IS make beleive. what other thing can it be for? surely your not marching to the boeing and submitting your designs. if your going to make a fleet, atleast do it realistically. and yes, some of what hes smoking would be good right about now.
                        All Fear the Triff

Comment

Originally posted by TripH
                          Dude. making a fleet IS make beleive. what other thing can it be for? surely your not marching to the boeing and submitting your designs. if your going to make a fleet, atleast do it realistically. and yes, some of what hes smoking would be good right about now.
                          Actually, with all the secrecy and resources that would go into building a single starship, our maximum fleet numbers are looking pretty low for the forseeable future. Unless we get some shipyards offworld, we're looking at a maximum number of four to five ships at the VERY MOST using just Earth-based facilities.

Comment

Yeah we at least need an off world resupply post for our ships, so that we don't have them on the planets surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Armagaiden

I think you totally missing the point of what we DO here. We create our ships from stargate canon and fit them as realistically as possible to whatever potential outcomes there could be in the show, according to our own opinion of what is going on in the show.
                              Ship design is about our designing of ships we think or would like to see defending earth within the context of the fictional universe or possible futures. We have been doing this along time so we are not 'smoking' anything, and its an insult to alot of people who have literally spent years doing this.
                              Before you put down what we do, first understand it, we create fleets of ships according to our interpretation of the events in stargate and how they would relate to any future or Alternate space warfare that may occur. So we try to be a REAL as possible with in the context of the MAKE BELIEVE canon. In fact some of the ships if you took the time to read are not even based on SG technology but on current earth technolgoy implemented within the context of stargate, we use real tactics, real weapons and real classes. The only thing that is uncanon about our ships is context, and i for one think some of us do a better job of creating reality based space combat than the poeple actually doing it.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                                Yeah we at least need an off world resupply post for our ships, so that we don't have them on the planets surface.
                                Well, building our ships on a planet's surface does have a few advantages over orbital shipyards. For one, they're less vulnerable to attack on the ground than in orbit, because there's only one way the enemy can attack them: From above.

Two, it's easier to deploy a shield around a ground-based object than it is to deploy one on a space-borne object-A hemisphere consumes less power than a sphere. Thirdly, we can simply drive supplies from the Stargate right to a ground-based shipyard. With a space-based one, we'd need to beam supplies up or use smaller ships to move the parts to the orbital installations.

Finally, a space-based shipyard requires the workers to don spacesuits, receive training in how to work in space, emergency training for a whole new environment, where with ground-based shipyards you just have to instruct the workers in how to use the new technologies and away they go. Much cheaper and safer.

Comment

Working...
                                X