X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Wow.

She must have gone to university long before she ever joined the Air Force Academy to be able to fit even half of that in.
    Kinda my point dude

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
      Yes and when she has finished that degree, she'd be a soldier. But doing the doctorate clearly means science is her focus, not soldiering.
      you do not train line troops in things like theoretical engineering. Foot soldiers do not spend two years in teh Pentagon researching ancient esoteric technology.
      So you are arguing that whatever degree you get then that is what you will do in the military?? <snort> Does that mean if you get a degree in maths, management, history etc then that is all you are allowed to do?
      Or is it just Sam should be in a lab?

To try to argue Carter is a soldier first is a lost cause. From day one, her focus has been tech.
      Actually arguing that because you get a degree that is the only thing you are allowed to do is a lost cause. As Scarimor said you join the AF (or any military service) you are first and foremost an OFFICER or ENLISTED person in said service. You are not your degree.

I will say this again. She cannot have been both highly trained for combat and have her many doctorates by children of the gods. There is simply not enough time for her to have done it, genius or not.
      Actually we don't know that she has many doctorates only one for sure. Whether she could have done that by the time of joining the SGC depends on what assumptions you make. Theoretically it is possible.

No, she is first and foremost a scientist. Case in point, she spent 2 years at teh Pentagon. SHe is trained in combat, but her focus is science, like Janet's was medicine.
      Comparing apples and oranges are we?
      Sam is not just TRAINED in combat, at the beginning of S9 she had over 8 years combat EXPERIENCE (SGC is considered frontline).
      Janet was a doctor and as far as we know only ever a doctor, Sam has a wide range of experience.
      -

Comment

I don't recall saying Sam had no skills as a soldier, simply that she was a scientist first.
        Don't get me started on how impossible all of her qualifications are, it's really a painful debate.
        no one was talking baout her skills, they were talking about her focus.
        And it's not soldiering. If it was, she wouldn't have gotten a doctorate.
        So no one is allowed to change their focus ever? Or is it just Sam that belongs in a lab.
        -

Comment

SAm must have more than theoretical astrophysics for the things she does.
          For instance, she builds things. She'd need electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, computer science.
          She searches for the cure to the plauge in TFH and also builds the anti prior device, which means she'd have to have a good knowledge of biology and chemistry.
          She'd need at least degrees/masters in all of those AND Practical experience.
          Do you know how silly that sounds!! You do NOT need formal qualifications to do things or learn things.
          -

Comment

Don't get me started on how impossible all of her qualifications are
            ever hear of a prodigy or wunderkind? its entirely possible for someone as intelligent as sam is to have abilities as wide in range as she does, and at the age that she does.

Comment

I don't recall saying Sam had no skills as a soldier, simply that she was a scientist first.
              Don't get me started on how impossible all of her qualifications are, it's really a painful debate.
              no one was talking baout her skills, they were talking about her focus.
              And it's not soldiering. If it was, she wouldn't have gotten a doctorate.
              Her focus had to be on soldiering at some point to have the skills of a marksman, the level three training hand to hand combat and not only learning to fly, but flying in combat! Sounds like she is focused to me.
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 07 March 2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                Wow.

She must have gone to university long before she ever joined the Air Force Academy to be able to fit even half of that in.
                Kinda my point dude
                So are you saying that you can't get a degree by the time you are 18?
                -

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules-
                  Defenitely Sam. She's been a part of SG1 and the program longer than Mitchel. AND she has the military ranking. I know Sam's the "scientist" and Mitchel's the "military leader guy" but I think she should have that position. Since RDA left, Amanda's character has become my fav.
                  And she has the military experience
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                    Do you know how silly that sounds!! You do NOT need formal qualifications to do things or learn things.
                    Think about the stuff Sam has created over the years at teh SGC. DO you think she picked that up in a quick afternoon of study?
                    There are recognised experts in their fields that work under Sam.
                    DR Lee has at least one doctorate, do you think he'd happily work under someone who wasn't at least as qualified as him?
                    Theoretical astrophysics doesn't touch 90% of what Sam does at the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      ever hear of a prodigy or wunderkind? its entirely possible for someone as intelligent as sam is to have abilities as wide in range as she does, and at the age that she does.
                      Thus re-inforcing my point that Sam is a very rare individual and should not be risked off world and in combat situations.

Comment

So no one is allowed to change their focus ever? Or is it just Sam that belongs in a lab.
                        Wow, you love putting words in people's mouths dont' you.

Comment

So are you saying that you can't get a degree by the time you are 18?
                          and is it not possible that she could have gone on to do further study in her spare time after she joined the air force to get further degrees or doctorates? heck she could still be getting qualifications as we speak!

saying that she couldn't have all of those qualifications and all that knowledge is like saying its impossible for daniel to be able to speak 20+ languages.

Comment

Thus re-inforcing my point that Sam is a very rare individual and should not be risked off world and in combat situations.
                            but part of her field of experties is field combat. and should they encounter some potentially dangerous objects out there, who better than the best to deal with it, thus saving valuable lives.
                            again, its like saying that daniel is too valuable to risk off world. had neither daniel nor sam been out there the team would have been lost and dead many many more times than they actually were. proabably forever.

it is possible for sam to have the knowledge and abilities that she does have, and part of them is to be an excellent soldier, hence meaning that she has every right to be out there leading SG-1.

Comment

So you are arguing that whatever degree you get then that is what you will do in the military?? <snort> Does that mean if you get a degree in maths, management, history etc then that is all you are allowed to do?
                              Hmm, did I say that?
                              Or did I say that Sam, by getting an advanced astrophysics degree, had chosen to make Science her focus?
                              They are very different things. If you can't understand that, maybe you should check the meaning of the word focus in the dictionary.
                              Or is it just Sam should be in a lab?
                              Hmm, I notice you often return to this point. Is there a reason for that?

Actually arguing that because you get a degree that is the only thing you are allowed to do is a lost cause. As Scarimor said you join the AF (or any military service) you are first and foremost an OFFICER or ENLISTED person in said service. You are not your degree.
                              You cannot stop. I didn't argue that cuase it's freaking pointless.
                              I never said Sam was not an officer. Or that she wasn't trained. I said that once she got a doctorate, she made her focus science.

Actually we don't know that she has many doctorates only one for sure. Whether she could have done that by the time of joining the SGC depends on what assumptions you make. Theoretically it is possible.
                              Not really. she was in her early 30's by CHildren of the gods.
                              If she finished highschool at 14(very outside chance) then in 10 years she could have her doctorate and possibly some of the ancillory stuff. That makes her 24. Then she needs to undergo her military training and fight in a conflict, and then get skilled in biology, chemistry and all that sort of stuff.
                              I don't see how the hell she could do without her military skills suffering.

Comparing apples and oranges are we?
                              Sam is not just TRAINED in combat, at the beginning of S9 she had over 8 years combat EXPERIENCE (SGC is considered frontline).
                              Janet was a doctor and as far as we know only ever a doctor, Sam has a wide range of experience.
                              WHAT?
                              We're not talking S9, we're talking about her qualifications.
                              Keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                and is it not possible that she could have gone on to do further study in her spare time after she joined the air force to get further degrees or doctorates? heck she could still be getting qualifications as we speak!

saying that she couldn't have all of those qualifications and all that knowledge is like saying its impossible for daniel to be able to speak 20+ languages.
                                All of that in her lifetime, maybe.
                                But you show me one person who's come even close to what she has.
                                She spans too many disciplines at far too high a level of skill.
                                It's a writing failure, Carter has been far overloaded and the character suffers for it.
                                It is NOT possible to change the focus of the character cuase she cannot credibly be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                                X