X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightsabre
    We have the same dream.
    Now, I'm just curious. Is one of us gonna get shot in the head?
    of course not! not in the head!
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      of course not! not in the head!
      The last guy who had a dream got shot in the head.
      People were too scared to dream again!!

Comment

I have to say that Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter is the fittest to run the team.
        She has had years of experience on off-world missions and knows the feeel of her close knit team.
        Sam deserves the respect of leadin SG.1 seeing that she lead them for a year in seson eight.

heart

Comment

i though we could have improved since then. maybe only the shoulder?
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

i though we could have improved since then. maybe only the shoulder?
            Hmm, well it depends if they want to kill the dream or just wound it.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
              Actually he would have asked me...
              SylvreWolfe, your pink bold text feels like Hathor's nishta
              scarimor

Comment

The protocol in The Scourge was tractical; every off world military officer in the SGC should have known about it. There is nothing science about it.
                Exactly. A tactical protocol. Just because it employs a weapon which scientists help to produce doesn't make it something just for scientists to know ; what a bizarre idea! One could say that about almost any weapon the SGC uses - toxins, nukes, explosives...

It's a tactic and a command decision about eliminating a threat. And certainly every team CO should know it, in order to know what to do with his team in such a scenario. It's not unreasonable that Teal'c and Daniel didn't, especially given that they're not Air Force military per se. But team CO's must. Carter did. Mitchell didn't, or has a dangerously poor memory. So going back to the original poll of this thread... I would prefer Carter to be my CO rather than Mitchell, at least until he's up to speed on such vital stuff; probably even then.
                Last edited by scarimor; 20 February 2006, 11:34 PM. Reason: typos
                scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                  Exactly. A tactical protocol. Just because it employs a weapon which scientists help to produce doesn't make it something just for scientists to know ; what a bizarre idea! One could say that about almost any weapon the SGC uses - toxins, nukes, explosives...
                  Which is why I said COMMAND officers and specified a rank as well as science officers.
                  Originally posted by scarimor
                  It's a tactic and a command decision about eliminating a threat. And certainly every team CO should know it, in order to know what to do with his team in such a scenario. It's not unreasonable that Teal'c and Daniel didn't, especially given that they're not Air Force military per se. But team CO's must. Carter did. Mitchell didn't, or has a dangerously poor memory. So going back to the original poll of this thread... I would prefer Carter to be my CO rather than Mitchell, at least until he's up to speed on such vital stuff; probably even then.
                  It's not inconceivable that Cam DIDN'T know, but the base commander did.
                  SG-1 was not based at the Gamma site base nor was it posted there for a long period.
                  There wasn't really a reason for SG-1 to know the protocol unless they were expected to be in a situation where the base commander was out of action.

It was a command decision, but not Cam's or Sam's. It was Landry's.
                  Also, in a different situation, the Oddessy would have easily been able to pluck them away BEFORE it bombarded the planet.
                  Again, I still see my scenario as working.

EDIT:I was rewatching this ep and it didn't look to me like Cam didn't know about it.
                  Carter said, 'theoretically' things would be fine.
                  To me, it looked like Cam was simply trying to keep the delegates calm, but Sam thought they deserved to know the full situation.
                  She started explaining the protocol, but he didn't look suprised or anything.
                  I think his suprise was more at her contradicting his reassurance than at what she said.
                  Last edited by Lightsabre; 21 February 2006, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatershanks
                    I have to say that Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter is the fittest to run the team.
                    She has had years of experience on off-world missions and knows the feeel of her close knit team.
                    Sam deserves the respect of leadin SG.1 seeing that she lead them for a year in seson eight.
                    Agreed. I think this season's writing style does seem to support that logic as well. The team turns to Carter more often than not for tactical and scientific decision-making. She's more often the one who briefs the soldiers/officers before battle, and she coordinates on all fronts. There's little doubt in my mind who's running the show.

minigeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Well on senority Sam should, but I'd rather Mitchell did it for fear of ruining the whole feeling of the show.

Daniel: The Others would have stopped you.
                      Jack: They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands...
                      Daniel: You wouldn't do that...
                      Jack: Ba'al would be dead...
                      Daniel: Jack...
                      Jack: ...And don't think I'd stop there!
                      Daniel: You're a better man than that...
                      Jack: That's where you're wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAK
                        Well on senority Sam should, but I'd rather Mitchell did it for fear of ruining the whole feeling of the show.
                        Frankly, I don't see that. What feeling did you mean? Carter's been CO of SG-1 since season eight, so I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Frankly, I don't see that. What feeling did you mean? Carter's been CO of SG-1 since season eight, so I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from.
                          Well it seems to me that the show has worked brilliantly so far with a lead male character (O'Neill, now Mitchell) running the show, with Sam there coming up with the intellegent comments in the form of Technobabble.

Not to mention the fact that Landry said Mitchell was not there to join SG1, but to lead it.

Comment

Well it seems to me that the show has worked brilliantly so far with a lead male character (O'Neill, now Mitchell) running the show, with Sam there coming up with the intellegent comments in the form of Technobabble.

Not to mention the fact that Landry said Mitchell was not there to join SG1, but to lead it.
                            E X A C T L Y.

Comment

So you're saying Carter's leadership of SG-1 would screw up the dynamic of the show ... because Carter is a woman? You so don't want to go there. I'll give you a free pass on this one because I'm so sure you didn't intend to say that, I'm not even going to refute it with a counterpoint. Next one's gonna cost ya, though.

Right. Because there was no SG-1. SG-1 had been disbanded and Mitchell was to repopulate the team with young, junior officers. However prior to that happening, SG-1 was a very active, very front-line, very senior team during season eight. And that team's CO was Lt. Colonel Carter.

mg

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                So you're saying Carter's leadership of SG-1 would screw up the dynamic of the show ... because Carter is a woman? You so don't want to go there. I'll give you a free pass on this one because I'm so sure you didn't intend to say that, I'm not even going to refute it with a counterpoint. Next one's gonna cost ya, though.

Right. Because there was no SG-1. SG-1 had been disbanded and Mitchell was to repopulate the team with young, junior officers. However prior to that happening, SG-1 was a very active, very front-line, very senior team during season eight. And that team's CO was Lt. Colonel Carter.

mg
                                Nononono I didn't mean that at all! Her being a woman has nothing to do with it, it would be the same with Daniel or Teal'c. Its just that the show has always worked well without her leading, and taking more of a "I can work out the problem and fix it cos i'm incredibly intellegent role." I think the team seems to work better together with a brave, central leader, not saying that Carter isn't brave but its just that she seems better in the role of Ms. Fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X