X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe next week.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

hmm

Last edited by scarimor; 25 February 2006, 08:10 AM.
      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by sindicate
        Alright then I was in error anyone else feel like jumping down my throat for having an opinion??

Spoiler:
        You might be right about that but his actions led me to believe that he did in fact know about it he was like "Oh Crap forgot about that" after just watching it again that's the impression I got

but I'm sure someone here will jump down my throat again for having an opinion on it
        Don't worry, you get used to it after a while.
        Sadly, on here, not wanting Carter to lead apparently means people are allowed to attack you at will.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
          No, SG-1 was disbanded. There was nothing to give up. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c all moved off to do something different. She did not forfeit anything, least of all resuming command when the team got back together again.
          SG-1 [b]disbanded[/i] on the request of the team members.
          IF Carter wanted to retain command, that was the time. Instead, she left the SGC entirely.
          IT would be the height of arrogance to assume you could come back to the base and displace the current leader, all because you wanted the command back.
          I will also point out in 'Avalon' that Mitchell offered her the command back, she told him he'd be fine.
          Seems like she thinks he'd do well.

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
            Oops... I guess I wasn't clear – I meant I agreed with all the previously stated points, and then that. Also, I tend to look at things from a writer's point of view, not (and please don't take this wrong) as if the SG universe was real.
            As I've always said in these debates, there are two sides to consider.
            The SG-world, where the chars are real and our world, which is why the writers make the decisions they do.
            I've posted my reasons for both worlds as to why I think Mitch should lead.
            I just hate the argument "Mitchell is only there cause they want a man and Carter should lead cuase she's a strong independent woman'.
            Just ticks me off. Gender bias isn't in play here.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              Totally stupid?

Like pushing buttons in an alien lab thereby defrosting the son of Anubis because he "thought it was a light switch"?
              When Daniel was also hitting buttons???
              Like ignoring a direct order to wait for back up and rushing on ahead forcing his team to prematurely abandon their positions so they could cover him?
              Was he under her command tho? FOr that matter, there is a long and proud tradition of soldiers doing exactly what Mitchell did when storming hard-to-take positions.
              It's not so much a stupid thing as a 'I'm not as important, I can die doing this'.
              Mitchell was willing to sacrifice himself so they could get Teal'c out.
              Seems like it was a noble thing, not stupid.
              Like lying to his team and getting them captured and tortured and lined up for execution?
              When did he lie to them??
              He told them what he would do, got their opinions and made a decision. that is what leaders DO.
              Something like that?
              Hmm, don't know that any of the above really fits.

Comment

Like lying to his team and getting them captured and tortured and lined up for execution?
                Of the iffy moments Mitchell's had, this is the one that made me gawp. I mean, I laughed good-naturedly at the "New boy!" lark in Prototype when he hit the button - I found it funny. But when he lied to his team-mates in Off the Grid I was stunned that the writers would do that: Mitchell gets his comrades' reluctant co-operation by telling them that he's just going to find out what he can from the dealers, tell them their price is too high and get out... and he goes in and boasts he's a big dealer for seven planets and asks for a meet with the top man!

Liar liar liar. No wonder he wouldn't give Carter a straight answer when she asked him "What did you say to them?" when they were running for their lives... "Obviously it didn't go well..." I wonder why that was?
                scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                  When Daniel was also hitting buttons???

Was he under her command tho? FOr that matter, there is a long and proud tradition of soldiers doing exactly what Mitchell did when storming hard-to-take positions.
                  It's not so much a stupid thing as a 'I'm not as important, I can die doing this'.
                  Mitchell was willing to sacrifice himself so they could get Teal'c out.
                  Seems like it was a noble thing, not stupid.

When did he lie to them??
                  He told them what he would do, got their opinions and made a decision. that is what leaders DO.

Hmm, don't know that any of the above really fits.
                  Daniel knew what he was doing. Mitchell knew Daniel knew what he was doing. Mitchell didn't know what he was doing and had no business touching things that could potentially lead to disaster.

Sam was leading the mission in Stronghold. After he took out that Jaffa gun platformed, he moved forward. She ordered him to wait for backup. He ignored her and bulldozed on ahead.

What he said he'd do: MITCHELL: I'm just going to ask some questions about the operation…find out what I can…tell them their price is to high and then high tail it out of there…

What he did...posed as a big shot dealer, never asked the prices, pushed instead to learn too much too soon and never had a chance to "high tail it out of there." Would things have been different had he kept to his original plan? Who knows...but at least I would have respected him a little for it.

Stupid idea to begin with and he refused to listen to Daniel, Teal'c and Sam's wiser counsel. Doesn't sound like he's trying to learn from the best and I'm glad Sam and Daniel were irked at him for his stupidity. Teal'c may have been too but he's less emotive.

Further, he was told to keep it under the radar...which he didn't do.

And yes, I think these qualify as major screwups...none of which are the result of a wrench thrown into a well thought out plan...all of which are the most logical results of stupid impetuous ideas.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Not Featured Option: Jack
                    Comedy Option: Urgo

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                      Of the iffy moments Mitchell's had, this is the one that made me gawp. I mean, I laughed good-naturedly at the "New boy!" lark in Prototype when he hit the button - I found it funny. But when he lied to his team-mates in Off the Grid I was stunned that the writers would do that: Mitchell gets his comrades' reluctant co-operation by telling them that he's just going to find out what he can from the dealers, tell them their price is too high and get out... and he goes in and boasts he's a big dealer for seven planets and asks for a meet with the top man!

Liar liar liar. No wonder he wouldn't give Carter a straight answer when she asked him "What did you say to them?" when they were running for their lives... "Obviously it didn't go well..." I wonder why that was?
                      I'm really really seeing this as stretching the definition of lie.
                      He was attempting to gather information, and he asked for the meet when the man he was speaking to made it clear that he could not supply enough product for Mitchell's demand.
                      He didn't lie to his team, but events on teh ground made changing the story necessary.

Comment

Daniel knew what he was doing. Mitchell knew Daniel knew what he was doing. Mitchell didn't know what he was doing and had no business touching things that could potentially lead to disaster.
                        Did he really? Daniel is a tech expert now? The fact is, Daniel could as easily have hit that button as Mitchell.
                        You cannot call that a stupid act on Mitchell's part.
                        Sam was leading the mission in Stronghold.
                        Yes and Mitchell walked in as her briefing was finishing. He may or may not have been under her direct command.
                        After he took out that Jaffa gun platformed, he moved forward. She ordered him to wait for backup. He ignored her and bulldozed on ahead.
                        Further, we've seen that Sam shows little respect for Mitchell's orders when he is commanding, why should he show respect for her when she is?
                        What he said he'd do: MITCHELL: I'm just going to ask some questions about the operation…find out what I can…tell them their price is to high and then high tail it out of there…

What he did...posed as a big shot dealer, never asked the prices, pushed instead to learn too much too soon and never had a chance to "high tail it out of there." Would things have been different had he kept to his original plan? Who knows...but at least I would have respected him a little for it.
                        See above. Things changed, which changed the story he was telling.
                        Stupid idea to begin with and he refused to listen to Daniel, Teal'c and Sam's wiser counsel. Doesn't sound like he's trying to learn from the best and I'm glad Sam and Daniel were irked at him for his stupidity. Teal'c may have been too but he's less emotive.
                        Just because you solicit opinions doesn't mean you have to do as they suggest.
                        Moreover, if any of them could come up with a GOOD reason not to do it, they would have used it. Instead, all they did was
                        Daniel:Argue
                        Teal'c:Express doubt. Teal'c was the only one who came close to saying WHY it was stupid.
                        Samaid nothing.
                        So, Mitchell had an idea, he suggested it, the others shouted it down, but gave no reasons or alternitives.
                        I'd be going in too.
                        Further, he was told to keep it under the radar...which he didn't do.
                        Hmm, yes, in this case, he was a little over the radar, but the potential payoff was worth the risk imho.
                        And yes, I think these qualify as major screwups...none of which are the result of a wrench thrown into a well thought out plan...all of which are the most logical results of stupid impetuous ideas.
                        Your entitled to your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                          SG-1 disbanded on the request of the team members
                          IF Carter wanted to retain command, that was the time. Instead, she left the SGC entirely.
                          IT would be the height of arrogance to assume you could come back to the base and displace the current leader, all because you wanted the command back.
                          I will also point out in 'Avalon' that Mitchell offered her the command back, she told him he'd be fine.
                          Seems like she thinks he'd do well.
                          Sam was reassigned, whether by her request or not. There was no real need for SG-1 because the Ori weren't around yet. The team then came back together to face the new threat. Yes, Mitchell got them back together, that doesn't mean he should be the CO. It means he did what would have happened when the Ori attacked Earth anyway.
                          Daniel and Teal'c were still off the team, there was no war going on yet, and Sam was doing a more important job (upgrading their ships) at the time that Mitchell offered her command. (she also didn't say he'd be good, but that's a nitpick). Circumstances changed drastically, you can't blame anyone for that. The fact remains that Sam is more qualified that Mitchell, simply by virtue that she has nine times more experience and Mitchell isn't doing so well.
                          I won't say that Mitchell isn't SUPPOSED to be a good officer, TPTB have defiantly made it clear that he's supposed to be, I'm saying that plot devices have totally ruined his credibility. He doesn't act anything like a proper leader should, and in all the praise that everyone gives him, no one said a word about him being anything but a fighter pilot. Maybe at the time Landry said he could command his own team (and more over pick his own people, so there’s not necessarily anyone really good to teach him) an expert fighter pilot and officer could lead the flagship team. But that time is gone, and quite frankly, Sam was wrong if/when she said he'd be a fine CO. I truly wish TPTB would stop pulling an X-files because they really do have 4 splendid characters to work with. Now if only they would work with THEM.

Yes, its possible that Daniel could have done the same thing Daniel did. But it’s a lot less likely because he KNOWS WHAT HE’S DOING. Mitchell didn't, so it was stupid.
                          That’s where that whole “co-command” thing comes in. But that fact aside, Mitchell shouldn’t have needed to be told to wait for backup.
                          Thing did change, but the plan didn’t fall apart. He had time and should have talked it out with his team and considered their opinions. Yes, the team did not refute it, but he didn’t wait to see if they WOULD, He just went ahead.
                          There’s a damn big difference between sacrificing yourself when you NEED to while storming a hard-to-take position, and making a stupid move and forcing the rest of the team to cover for you. They weren't to that point yet.
                          sigpic
                          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Since there will NEVER be a resolution to this debate I am going to decide right here and now...

I SHOULD BE IN COMMAND OF SG1

There, settled

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                              I SHOULD BE IN COMMAND OF SG1
                              Go for it, SylvreWolfe!

(but I ain't voting for ya )
                              scarimor

Comment

My vote would go to Sam.

When Cam came on board, he expected to be a member of SG-1, not the leader. He was dissapointed that none of the original SG-1 was still around. He wanted to be on the team with the best.

Had he assembled an entirely new team, then yes, he should have been the leader. However, his goal was to "get the band back together", which he did. Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c came back really because Cam needed them. Of course the new threat of the Ori was a huge reason, but they came back because they did not have faith that anyone else would be able to come close to feeling the orginal SG-1's shoes and the latest threat.

Cam begged Sam to come back on SG-1 because he needed her......and you know what, he was right. Sam was "reporting as ordered" to assist with the Ori threat. She worked hard as 2IC on SG-1 and finally earned her place as its leader when O'Neil was promoted. She is the most experienced and most qualified....this is why she should be leading SG-1. I would say that it should be Sam leading and Cam learning everything he can from her and gaining the experience of being off-world and meeting new cultures without the burden of making big decisions and possibly screwing things up......as he stated in one of the first few episodes 'what if the world needs protecting because I screwed up' ....or something to that effect. Allieviate that burden for the time being.

......unless.....it is Sam who has made the choice of not wanting to lead the team. Perhaps she has made the choice not to lead and allow Cam the opportunity and the administrative headaches

Comment

Working...
                                X