Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter has most definitely earned it and should be much better prepared to take command now than she has been in the past. Mitchell just is not fit to be in command of the primary SG team. The whole situation just reeks of BS - a total breakdown of common sense from TPTB. He'd be fine as a fourth member, but he is most certainly no SG-1 leader.
    Jewel Staite Thunker | Secondary Women of SGA Thunker
    Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show and I should really just relax."

Comment

hm lets see- three characters who's have been in the show 9 seasons and have a very loyal and vociferous fan base (for good reason- ) and one who's been in the show for oh not yet a whole season and has been not exactly smoothly integrated by the writers and who we know still very little about... Seems like a fair comparison...

*tongue firmly planted in cheek*

Comment

Well like I said in another post i think it should be Sam, based on experience and next logical choice. I personally dont have issues having a female leader in Sg1, its the 21st century for godsake you think us human have overcome these petty sexist, racist, prejudice, and etc by now. I wont banter on why not Mitch cos other has pointed it out already. Any way I truly believe in the Yin and Yang philosophy. Any one who has study or read this Philosophy will understand what I'm trying to say.
        sigpic

Comment

Jack!!

oops, sorry -- not on the list!
          sigpic
          SCORE!!
          The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

It wouldn't have bothered me much early in season 9, but recently Mitchell is shown to be an arse. I wouldn't trust him with command of geese at this point - not only because he recklessly ignored Landry's orders in Off the Grid, but also because he lied to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c when persuading them to let him approach Worrel. "I'm just going to ask some questions about the operation, find out what I can, tell them the price is too high and then high-tail it outta there." Yeah right. I'm a big shot dealer for seven planets so set me up with your Mister Big was what he went with ...

Can't trust a man who has such little insight and lies to his team-mates with a command role. So I definitely vote for Carter.
            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
              Because just as easily as they have written stories around MS leaving and coming back, RDA's reduced schedule, they could have written around AT's pregnancy and preserved Carter's leadership position on the team. You could still do basically the same storylines with Mitchell as they did before with just saying that Sam was up in DC consulting with the joint chiefs, having her call in video clips to consult and those wondrous little telephone calls that they occasionally had with Jack. With such an established character, they could have done this and the fans would have all understood the situation and worked with the whole premise until AT came back full time. So, if it wasn't a lack of ability, it had to be a lack of will. They did not choose to do so. As to the reasons they did not choose to do so, as Carter is a very strong character and beloved by the fans, there was to me only one other reason - the gender thing.

Now, of course, no one is going to admit that on paper, but you have to admit, it isn't that big of a leap. Not in my opinion at least.

Nicely put, and interesting observations. You're right-TPTB could have handled AT's brief absense much, much better than they did. It could have made sense. I hadn't actually thought of it as a gender bias-more that I have 0% faith in The Sci-Fi network to make good story telling decisions, and this year it seems they have a much tighter reign on the show. But you could be right as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                Carter should be leading.

I find it amusing in these discussions how people use the characters actions to validate their points..... HELLO!!! the characters are the way they are because of TPTB !!!

TPTB have dropped the ball this season. They brought in a number of excellent new actors to complement the ones they already had, and gave them garbage to work with. Lazy writing and directing of the Mitchell character has amounted to little confidence in the character for me.

Carter should be leading.
                On the one hand, I see your point about using the character's actions to validate our OOC thoughts and points. Because, like you, I think TPTB have done a detestible job in integrating BB and CB to the whole. But as far as in-character reasoning, it's all we have to go on.

I think that's why this issue is so irritating to me. Because the charactters have been written so poorly this season that no explaination of the current command mess appeases me.

There is really no excuse for how lacking character development has been. I'm hoping that Mitchell is merely a victim of non-existant character planning, and will get better with next season. (THough given it's near the end of this season, I don't have very high hopes.) Vala though, she's already ruined for me.

So yeah, for me, Carter should be leading.
                Last edited by Deejay435; 17 February 2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Only 1 option , SAM
                  sigpic

Comment

Carter should be the leader - Mitchell is inept and dangerous to the BIG 3 as written and portrayed.

Comment

Either Mitchell or Carter would make a great leader (or already is in Mitchell's case).

I voted for Mitchell, I like BB in this role, he is really starting to grow on me.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                        Oh yes I agree there - from the outside it seems a mess (and as it us on the outside that matter, that's a problem)

SG-1 (presuming for now they are 'real people,' for now) probably have no issues, however. There is probably not an actual leader on an SG-1 mission ... they don't need one - each person steps up to the plate to make it a success, and they trust each other implicitly. In that sense SG-1 is completely unique as a team.
                        and they trust each other implicitly
                        I don't know about that. I know Sam, Teal'c and Daniel trust each other with their lives (they've been through a lot together the past 8 years). I don't think Cam has earned their trust just yet (Off the Grid). Sure he would trust them to protect his ass because he knows about their history Wants to learn from the best.

As for leader it should go to Sam.

Some one mentioned earlier that Cam should be promoted to full Colonel.
                        Ah what has he done to deserve it? Saved the world countless time with their team (sometimes without the whole team A Matter of Time). If going by merit Sam should be promoted to full Colonel.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Carter...

And if not Carter, Teal'c. And if not Teal'c, Daniel.

Comment

I think it's exactly that simple. Lets be real: when it comes to sci-fi shows, they are basically aimed at young men in the whole 18-25 demographic. There is a feeling out there that guys in this group will not consistantly watch a show about a female leader in charge. And before you point at Wier, she's not military and can be frequently overshadowed by the activities of the other guys.

Also I don't believe Carter dominates the show and respectfully I ask you to re-read my posts. I started out saying how I was a big fan of Ben Browder's and I very much enjoyed Mitchell. I was extremely happy to see the character come onto the show and the team. No one is putting Ben down, least of all me.

Lastly, how is it harder to write a good story for an established cast member? You write a good story for the leader of the team and if the leader of the team is Carter, then so be it. What have they written so far for Mitchell as team leader that Carter could not have done? One of the best characters in sci-fi, Ripley in 'Alien', was written for a guy. When they finally gave it to Sigourny Weaver, they didn't change a word of the script to adjust it because she was a woman. They played it as written and it was amaziing. I think the same thing could happen with SG-1. Don't write for a woman. Write for a team leader and let the team leader actor play it.
                            wrong.. its just subconcient that a male producer puts in more male actors and more in lead roles because they grew up seeing only that the boys have fun while the girls dont... its proven... so dont even try
                            "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
                            "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                            "I shot him. In the leg."
                            "I'm invulnerable."
                            "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
                            "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Because just as easily as they have written stories around MS leaving and coming back, RDA's reduced schedule, they could have written around AT's pregnancy and preserved Carter's leadership position on the team. You could still do basically the same storylines with Mitchell as they did before with just saying that Sam was up in DC consulting with the joint chiefs, having her call in video clips to consult and those wondrous little telephone calls that they occasionally had with Jack. With such an established character, they could have done this and the fans would have all understood the situation and worked with the whole premise until AT came back full time. So, if it wasn't a lack of ability, it had to be a lack of will. They did not choose to do so. As to the reasons they did not choose to do so, as Carter is a very strong character and beloved by the fans, there was to me only one other reason - the gender thing.

Now, of course, no one is going to admit that on paper, but you have to admit, it isn't that big of a leap. Not in my opinion at least.
                              You're exactly right (or at least I agree ). Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by XxDark-LordxX
                                wrong.. its just subconcient that a male producer puts in more male actors and more in lead roles because they grew up seeing only that the boys have fun while the girls dont... its proven... so dont even try

What?

Comment

Working...
                                X