This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Well, I tried to post this in the other thread, but it looks like it's more of a war zone than a discussion, so I'll give it another go here.
    (i'm not going to quote it all), but as Teal'c would say:

The problem is, with AT missing the first 5 eps, the writers couldn't really have her leading the team. And they couldn't have randomly taken it from Mitchell when she returned. Particularly as TPTB hired a 'big' actor to join the team - someone who was the lead on his last show
    However - it would have been better for him to be a full colonel. Then we wouldn't be having these issues.
    Although, it should be pointed out SG-1 is a bit unique in that it doesn't really need a leader - everyone is confident to chip in.
    IMO, Joe Mallozzi's explanation of them co-leading is bunk until it has been shown in the show.
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I'd *prefer* Sam to be in command, especially as my faith in Mitchell has been knocked in the last few episodes.

But...

Sam *gave up* command of SG1, thus from the military's point of view forfeiting any chance she had of resuming command, as the result of her leaving sg1 (it's quite clear she left first, seeing as she was already settled at her new job, whereas Teal'c had just left and Daniel was leaving) the team disbanded.

Sorry...I've waffled...I hate it when I do that
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
        (i'm not going to quote it all), but as Teal'c would say:

The problem is, with AT missing the first 5 eps, the writers couldn't really have her leading the team. And they couldn't have randomly taken it from Mitchell when she returned. Particularly as TPTB hired a 'big' actor to join the team - someone who was the lead on his last show
        However - it would have been better for him to be a full colonel. Then we wouldn't be having these issues.
        Although, it should be pointed out SG-1 is a bit unique in that it doesn't really need a leader - everyone is confident to chip in.
        IMO, Joe Mallozzi's explanation of them co-leading is bunk until it has been shown in the show.

There was no SG-1 team for the first five episodes. Mitchell just led himself. So when Carter returned, she could have just as easily been asked by Landry to lead SG-1 again and have Mitchell on her team. Mitchell wanted to learn from the best---Carter, Teal'c and Daniel. When he arrived at SGC, he expected to serve under Carter. When Carter came back, the leadership issue could have been addressed in a conversation with Landry, Carter, and Mitchell.

Now, to me, we just have a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          Oh yes I agree there - from the outside it seems a mess (and as it us on the outside that matter, that's a problem)

SG-1 (presuming for now they are 'real people,' for now) probably have no issues, however. There is probably not an actual leader on an SG-1 mission ... they don't need one - each person steps up to the plate to make it a success, and they trust each other implicitly. In that sense SG-1 is completely unique as a team.
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

In my opinion, they should continue co-leading the team until the beginning of next season. By then, I'd like to have seen Mitchell grow into the lead role a little more. Maybe have him promoted to full Colonel. Personally, I just think Sam makes a better second-in-command. That way, when her scientific expertise is needed, as it almost always is, she can focus on that. Besides, she was way smarter than O'Neill too and he managed to "lead" the team.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think Mitchell should lead. If Sam had to lead and do all the science-y stuff, it'd be a bit of an overload even for her. I'm not saying Mitchell's the best one cut out for the job, but you have to keep in mind it's only his first season. He's still got a lot to develop in terms of his skills. Besides, I think Carter and Mitchell play well off eachother, him being the hot-head and her being more down to earth. If he was a totally perfect leader, it'd be kinda boring, I think. Conflict=entertainment!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress
                I think Mitchell should lead. If Sam had to lead and do all the science-y stuff, it'd be a bit of an overload even for her. I'm not saying Mitchell's the best one cut out for the job, but you have to keep in mind it's only his first season. He's still got a lot to develop in terms of his skills. Besides, I think Carter and Mitchell play well off eachother, him being the hot-head and her being more down to earth. If he was a totally perfect leader, it'd be kinda boring, I think. Conflict=entertainment!
                Nicely put. I totally agree.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

All the character's for SG-1 meld together to make the actual team. And yes it is a good point that whilst Carter might be the intellect of the group, Mitchell is probably the tactics.

Personally I'd have Mitchell sitting in the background; Have Carter as the leader and Teal'c as the Tactical expert. Mitchell is more of the "average Joe" character for the team. Only reason he actually stands out is because Carter, Jackson and Teal'c make him stand out.

Comment

Me.

Comment

There was no SG-1 team for the first five episodes. Mitchell just led himself.
                      Technically, Mitchell was supposed to be choosing the members of his team, there were just 3 empty slots on SG-1. However, Mitchell was still the leader.
                      From the first minutes of 'Avalon', SG-1 was 'his' team.
                      So when Carter returned, she could have just as easily been asked by Landry to lead SG-1 again and have Mitchell on her team.
                      Ah, here's the major sticking point of that.
                      He was expecting to be on the team, not lead. However, once you have a command, in the military, losing it and not moving on, being demoted as it were, is considered a bad sign. It means that the higher ups are punishing you or you are considered a danger to your men and yourself.
                      There is no way for Landry to ask Carter to lead taht doesn't reflect badly on Mitchell and his career and future options.
                      Mitchell wanted to learn from the best---Carter, Teal'c and Daniel. When he arrived at SGC, he expected to serve under Carter.
                      And she told him she had complete faith in him.
                      He is still learning from them, that hasn't changed. He's just in charge.
                      When Carter came back, the leadership issue could have been addressed in a conversation with Landry, Carter, and Mitchell.

It could have, but there's no way to be fair to Mitchell and have Carter lead.

Comment

The way it came together in the show makes sense because everyone had essentially quit SG-1 and then Mitchell just re-hired them all so he ended up as de-facto leader.

If you're just asking purely who most deserves to lead the team though then it's Carter.

I like Mitchell a lot but Carter has earned it way more than he has at this point.

She was second in command to O'neill for what, 8 years, and saved the planet how many times. How could they not offer her the team after a history like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                          The way it came together in the show makes sense because everyone had essentially quit SG-1 and then Mitchell just re-hired them all so he ended up as de-facto leader.

If you're just asking purely who most deserves to lead the team though then it's Carter.

I like Mitchell a lot but Carter has earned it way more than he has at this point.

She was second in command to O'neill for what, 8 years, and saved the planet how many times. How could they not offer her the team after a history like that.

Yes, and actually Carter was the leader of SG-1 in season 8 when O'Neill took over as the commander of the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros

But they did and she took it.
                            Then she quit.
                            There was no opening on the team when she came back.
                            Hence, she's not leader.

Comment

Mitch

Comment

Given events in the actors' lives (i.e. AT's little one), I see why TPTB gave Mitchell command. But from a strictly plot POV, Carter definitely should have stayed in command of SG-1. Stargate needs more women in positions of authority – so far, we've got Weir... and that's about it. I know there aren't an awful lot of women in the military, but Sam's been around since day one, and I'm still trying to figure out who the hell this Mitchell guy is (what was with him in "Off the Grid"?
                                Spoiler:
                                "Mary Poppins"? Arguing about who would make the best... drug dealer?
                                Excuse me?). I kind of liked him for a while, but that kind of did him in for me. Sam deserves her own command. She's also the only major female character in SG-1, which annoys me to no end.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X