Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGO Apparent Continuity Contradictions - Explanations and Speculation (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Why didn't the DHD buttons light up? From what I remember, even if the address is incorrect, the buttons should work.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
      Why didn't the DHD buttons light up? From what I remember, even if the address is incorrect, the buttons should work.
      It did light up when Catherine pressed the first symbol. Either she was merely searching-by-hand/"touching" the remaining symbol or the props department ran of out budget to put lights on all the symbols or fix them after sitting in the warehouse since SG-1 ended.

      Comment


        #33
        Yes, I obviously meant the following five symbols It could be that she didn't press them yet, of course.

        Is it the same prop as in SG-1? It looks slightly different somehow... Could be my memory of course.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
          Yes, I obviously meant the following five symbols It could be that she didn't press them yet, of course.

          Is it the same prop as in SG-1? It looks slightly different somehow... Could be my memory of course.
          yeah, it's clear she didn't actually press the other 5.

          apparently it is the same prop - source
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!


          Comment


            #35
            Yes, I rewatched the scene. She indeed pressed only the first one.

            It's very interesting how this show mixes the canons of the original movie and SG-1. For example, the Stargate symbols on Abydos, the Goa'uld and the DHD are obviously SG-1 canon, whereas the gate itself (especially the chevron locking process), the puddle and the unstable vortex are movie canon.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
              Yes, I rewatched the scene. She indeed pressed only the first one.

              It's very interesting how this show mixes the canons of the original movie and SG-1. For example, the Stargate symbols on Abydos, the Goa'uld and the DHD are obviously SG-1 canon, whereas the gate itself (especially the chevron locking process), the puddle and the unstable vortex are movie canon.
              remember that SG1 and the movie are supposed to be the same canon, and SGO is supposed to fit into both.

              The intent was always that SG1 acts a sequel to the movie, though you do have to do a lot of fanwanking to harmonise the two. For this reason the movie and SG1 are in different universes in my head. (Perhaps SGO takes place in a hybrid universe...)
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!


              Comment


                #37
                Well, they are not exactly in the same canon. Instead, SG-1 has retconned the elements of the movie the new producers found unfitting, thus making it a new canon. However, Origins seems to indeed be some kind of a hybrid of the two canons, mixing many things. I would have preferred full-on SG-1 canon, to be honest, but I don't mind it this way either.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                  Couple of other things from this week's episodes:

                  They could see stars when they went through the gate
                  Should they? Did I misunderstand this scene? I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

                  I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation.
                  Yeah, to me that's a HUGE dealbreaker regarding canonicity of SGO. Not only it goes against the basic laws of gate travel established in all previous iterations, it even contradicts "common sense" after seeing the demolecularization process in SGO itself. I'd love to see an explanation on how "energy" can have eyes that see!

                  No, you didn't misunderstand the scene since she describe what she saw as "stars".
                  If they were referring to things they "see" before demolecularization, then they should have included stars... The CGI animation of the vortex shows only blackness before movement/travelling starts.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    I wanted to share my latest thoughts on the issues of Aset/Isis identity stuff...

                    Since the child was confirmed to be Harsesis, it seemed more and more to point towards the fact that Aset/Isis must have been banished/punished for creating such a thing. Serqet's anger on the subject seems to support this. She might even denounce her to Ra (or Seth?)

                    If Aset/Isis is found out and punished for eternity by being placed in a canopic jar for these actions, it would make sense that the occupant of the other canopic jar found along was condemned for the same crime. Thus it would mean that Osiris is the father. Furthermore, we already know that Osiris usually inhabited a male host (male + female = possible child conception). In SG-1's "Summit", Zipacna also reveals that Isis was Osiri's queen, just like Apophis called Amunet his queen. One can thus assume they formed a couple. All this adds strength to the theory that Isis and Osiris are the parents of the Harcesis, which would nicely tie-in with the common crime punishment in canopic jars for eternity.

                    Based on the whole "Horus, son-of-Isis" etymology of the Harsesis name, I suspect that whoever banished Isis and Osiris (Ra? Seth?) corrected the "crime" by implanting the child with a Goa'uld symbiote to retain the knowledge. The chosen symbiote would be none other than Horus/Heru'ur.
                    The symbiote itself could still be an offspring of Hathor, mother of all Goa'uld and thus restauring Teal'c statement in "Thor's Chariot" about his pedigree.

                    The only holes in all this that I find (feel free to point more) are the following:
                    - Still a time issue. The jars are found 7-8 years prior to the events in SGO
                    - Why the etymology of "Harcesis", the name for a host, be named after the symbiote eventually inhabiting it? I suppose it can easily be explained by saying that most humans don't see a difference between the host and the parasite that inhabits it, and thus the two got blended together.
                    - How does Seth fits in all this? He's supposed to be the one to banish Isis and Osiris, while story-wise Ra would seem a lot more logical.
                    - How come Serqet and Aset call the child Harcesis? Wouldn't such a name appear at a later time, when Heru'ur gets implanted in the kid? One possible explanation is that subtitle translation doesn't translate word for word, and the subtitles were written much later than 1939
                    Last edited by jerem; February 23, 2018, 04:20 PM.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Well, I am not so much a new member, but I have forgotten my old login/passcode from many many moons ago...I stopped posting when SGU was canceled. But I have returned as Stargate has.....exciting.

                      Upon reading this thread, I have wondered a bit about the continuity errors as well.......but first of all, the series is pretty good considering it is a web series, and not a full-fledged series on a network.

                      I was confused at first that the individuals traveled to Abydos initially... but then again this predates the 1993 movies original plot - so of course there is going to be differences in the looks of the locations.

                      The Goa'uld characters (to me) resemble the characteristics from the '93 movie rather than the SG1 series... not an issue to for me personally, but a nice touch.

                      Everyone has talked about the issue of remembering the the SG1 episode "Torment of Tantalus", and the whole dialog of no one had been able to activate the gate since 1945. I get that continuity error and/or plot hole too, and it initially has bothered me (so far). But there could be an easier explanation down the line that maybe hasn't been thought of...what if, Aset/Isis (since she is a sympathizer to humanity to some extent), before allowing or sending these Earth travelers back through the stargate, uses Goa'uld technology of somesort and erases their memory of any knowledge of Abydos, Aset/Isis, the stargate functions, etc. in order to preserve Abydos and the knowledge of Earth from Ra'?
                      I see it as if Ra' knows that if Earth beings have advanced to the point in uncovering the stargate, learning its language and meanings, as well as figuring it out that its a traveling device rather than an artifact, then it could mean a potential threat to Ra' and therefore needing to be exterminated...which was the subplot in Stargate the movie.
                      So Aset/Isis will send them back to Earth and have their minds wiped of the knowledge and recent experiences they have endured.

                      Just my thought.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        I have found some filming errors:

                        episode 4
                        - the curtain behind the stargate is changing every scene

                        episode 5
                        - there are wheel tracks on the dune in the background
                        - when they are walkking in the desert the footprints of the cameraman is already there in the sand in front of them
                        Last edited by Platschu; February 26, 2018, 06:56 AM.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

                        "Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

                        "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                          Yep, it's obvious now - all the gates we saw before were just dirty


                          Couple of other things from this week's episodes:

                          They could see stars when they went through the gate
                          Should they? Did I misunderstand this scene? I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

                          I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation.

                          Goa'uld permanently glowing eyes
                          We never saw this in the series, but I guess this isn't proof they can't


                          The explanation for Aset/Isis is hinted at. She refers to her resurrection in the show, and the mission files said this



                          If anyone is wondering how the Abydonians used the healing device:



                          Anyone have any other nitpicks?
                          Originally posted by jerem View Post
                          Yeah, to me that's a HUGE dealbreaker regarding canonicity of SGO. Not only it goes against the basic laws of gate travel established in all previous iterations, it even contradicts "common sense" after seeing the demolecularization process in SGO itself. I'd love to see an explanation on how "energy" can have eyes that see!

                          No, you didn't misunderstand the scene since she describe what she saw as "stars".
                          If they were referring to things they "see" before demolecularization, then they should have included stars... The CGI animation of the vortex shows only blackness before movement/travelling starts.
                          The shows have always described gate travel as being a hell of a wild wide. Lt. Hayley describes it as "a trip". Langford herself calls it "some piece of cake" in ToT. That to me implies that they've always been able to experience the actual gate travel as we the viewer sees it. The actual shot itself is meant to directly reference the first time Daniel steps through the gate in the film.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Nobycane74 View Post
                            [I]So Aset/Isis will send them back to Earth and have their minds wiped of the knowledge and recent experiences they have endured.

                            Just my thought.
                            Yes, this is the first, most obvious way of resolving the issues. Most of us don't really like a mind-wipe, it's too much of a cheat and implies that none of it has ever really happened, except for the viewers (us). It's like some series where a character simply wakes up, and then you learn that the whole last season you just watch meant nothing because it was a dream. We're hoping it's not gonna be resolved this way, but it looks more and more likely.

                            Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            The shows have always described gate travel as being a hell of a wild wide. Lt. Hayley describes it as "a trip". Langford herself calls it "some piece of cake" in ToT. That to me implies that they've always been able to experience the actual gate travel as we the viewer sees it. The actual shot itself is meant to directly reference the first time Daniel steps through the gate in the film.
                            I guess we have a very different reading of it.

                            To me, a "wild ride" never implied more than meaning this is quite the experience to traverse the event horizon, nothing more. One second your stepping through the wall of water, the next second you're in a totally different setting. And I assume the process of disassembly and re-assembly at the other end must create a strange, wild feeling.
                            As for the "piece of cake" part, it simply means that it's not complicated/difficult. Just walk through and that's it.

                            However much I would like to believe the transit can be seen, it just doesn't add up scientifically to start with. And contradicts every-time we see the characters acting like nothing happened in between, like sometime finishing one's sentence they started before entering. Nothing conscious can happen while you are in transit and only exist as pure energy. Contradict that, and to me it's like shattering my belief system. Scientific accuracy is a pillar of why Stargate is my favorite franchise. They were adamant to make everything as believable as possible, current to our current scientific knowledge. That's what made SGU so attractive to me in it's second season, when they revealed Destiny's mission. That was the epiphany moment to me that connected everything together, and everything was now making sense. So in-tune scientifically.

                            Please don't make me hate Stargate... Please! They managed 17 years so far where it all made sense. Don't stop now or shatter all that with a worthless web series.

                            I realize it's not everyone who feels/believe as I do. I understand that. Just sharing my own views...

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by jerem View Post
                              To me, a "wild ride" never implied more than meaning this is quite the experience to traverse the event horizon, nothing more. One second your stepping through the wall of water, the next second you're in a totally different setting. And I assume the process of disassembly and re-assembly at the other end must create a strange, wild feeling.
                              Keep in mind that the Gate is not accounting for stellar drift, hence the frost and the shaky transit. it's entirely possible that this leads to strange experiences upon re-materialization.

                              I think the "were those stars" line was more a nod that it's a "star" gate.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                Keep in mind that the Gate is not accounting for stellar drift, hence the frost and the shaky transit. it's entirely possible that this leads to strange experiences upon re-materialization.
                                Yes, episode "Red Sky" supports this. Their wormhole was affected while passing through the star to the point they exited the gate quite violently, reminiscent of what used to happen before they corrected for stellar drift. They have no recollection of what happened during transit, they never saw themselves going through a star. They are oblivious until much later when Carter reasons that it's what must have happened during transit, passing through the star. All they know at first is that they existed the gate quite violently upon arrival.
                                Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                I think the "were those stars" line was more a nod that it's a "star" gate.
                                I'm sorry, I don't follow.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X