Clear All

Trepidation (306)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "Trepidation"

"Trepidation"
    Ep: 3.06
    Release Date: December 7th, 2006
    Written by Cindy Clark

Searching for the Book of Nosah'trah with newfound confidence, Horizon-1 and Horizon-2 stumble upon the ruins of a former civilization. They soon discover that there may be more than meets the eye in this place.
    Outstanding
    42.86%
    Good
    35.71%
    Fair
    14.29%
    Poor
    7.14%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 07 December 2006, 05:30 AM.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

The episode is now available. Not much is really known about this one, and isn't that the best way to experience an episode? You don't know what will happen.

The podcast, after a brief delay, should be available on Saturday, at the latest.
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 08 December 2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Okay! Teaser/Act I - did anyone else get that echo of "Morpheus?" I mean, honestly, even down to some of the details - the village square, the dead bodies, the creepy atmosphere, the darkness, the library. And then the echoes of Destiny's "Friendly Fire." Seeing things causing people to turn on and almost kill each other. Been there, done that.

But aside from somewhat cliche plot elements, they come together to form a sort of tangent that I get the feeling is only a foreshadowing of things to come on Horizon. Some of this was priceless - I loved Tom and Callen's interaction. The dialogue felt a bit generic on the creepy!planet, but it was warranted, given the circumstances.

Sivea's powers are probably going to become a bit more prevalent in the future, now that we know that she's got 'em. If I know anything about the folks who write Horizon, they don't do things for the sake of doing them.

Okay, so, Nosa'trah is a Nebulan. Not that big of a logical jump. Everyone keeps talking about Nossy as a 'he.' Hmm, but what do they know?

Overall, a nice episode. I thought it was good, and although it did serve its purpose of returning to Stargate's roots.

Score: ***
      Last edited by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia; 07 December 2006, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
        Okay! Teaser/Act I - did anyone else get that echo of "Morpheus?" I mean, honestly, even down to some of the details - the village square, the dead bodies, the creepy atmosphere, the darkness, the library. And then the echoes of Destiny's "Friendly Fire." Seeing things causing people to turn on and almost kill each other. Been there, done that.
        Interesting that you should say that. Because during production on this one, the concern was that it would come off as similiar to Atlantis' "Phantoms," which had aired while we were working on this. At one point I was even considering holding off on this one for now; partly because of that, but also because this was one of the most difficult episodes of the season actually.

More about that on the podcast, of course. That is, for the one or two people that listen to them.

Sivea's powers are probably going to become a bit more prevalent in the future, now that we know that she's got 'em. If I know anything about the folks who write Horizon, they don't do things for the sake of doing them.
        We've actually first established this back in "Equilibrium," but I'm not sure if it was ever this clear. She does have those kind of powers, even though she'd be unable to use them right now, due to what's happened in "Equilibrium." Or much rather she could use them, but not without some sideaffects.

And, indeed, there's an episode coming up in the latter half of Season Three, that will deal with just this.

Okay, so, Nosa'trah is a Nebulan. Not that big of a logical jump. Everyone keeps talking about Nossy as a 'he.' Hmm, but what do they know?
        That's very true.

Overall, a nice episode. I thought it was good, and although it did serve its purpose of returning to Stargate's roots.

Score: ***
        Glad you liked it. It's definitely intended to be more of a classic Stargate style episode.

But I'm a little surprised. Considering how long the episode has been up, I was expecting more comments by now. Speak up, people!

Comment

i will say this, interesting episode. Reminded me too of Morpheus, and another thing, I will reread this one. More comments to come when I have the time. ]

Oh, and Gaia, I did not get the sense of Friendly Fire, and even if it was you have to remember that Sci fi tends to do cross elements.

Comment

A decent, old-fashioned stand-alone episode. Definitely fulfilled its purpose.

You love dropping all those little hints for what's coming up, don't you?

Comment

yep have to agree this did remind of previous Morpheus from destiny and now alex brought it up phantom.

And I did try to post last night by internet connection kept on cutting out and so the post got lost unfortantly.

Overall a good feel, glad to have a good old fashion stargate episode.

I thought of known that sivea power were far greater than she or the team know and I am going to take guest that they could turn out to be vital for the mission.

Having it be sentinel was good, I was wondering how many more are out their and are they all limited to just one planet, interesting story ideas their.

Sought of guest he was Nebulan when we first herd his and Collen being introduce to him. I going take guest and say he was trapped here like the sentinel was and that took over Nosa'trah and told people what he could remember while he lived in the Nebulan dimension. I am also going to say that the body he took over was probably one them vorians with telepathic powers cannot remember their names, who can wiped people memories and other things.

I thought the ending was a bit boring, a other ancient device saves the day, which I thought you could been a bit more creative in that area of the story. An idea until christene with the device, I thought sivea expelled the creature her self, which would of been a bit more creative and leave the team and her guesting powerful she really is. This would of been more creative and just other ancient device.

Overall a other good episode from the horizon team, looking forward to next week episode.

Comment

The episode is now up on the site:

http://www.stargatehorizon.com/syn.php?number=306

The podcast is done (containing some interesting info on the development process of the story), and should be up hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

Yep, the podcast is now up.

Comment

I liked it. It was a good "old-fashioned" sort of stargate ep, and there's nothing wrong with that! The suggestion that there is at least one sentinel trapped in our universe was, I felt, somewhat casually treated. These things represent pure evil, and yet no one seemed that concerned. Could there be more out there?

One thing I really like about Horizon is your ability to have over-arching plots like BSG, and yet still do some more traditional one-off eps. If only Atlantis could get the hang of this *sigh*.
                    Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

Great episode from the Horizon team, I did reread it, still do not know what it rweminds me of other then the obvious phantoms.. Great work with bringing the Sentinals back into the mix. It remind me of something that I would o if I were to create a super enemy, great job.

Also I think that it was great in another aspect, more and more Horizon is reminding me of another show, about another Space Station all alone in the night. I refer of course to JMS and his Babylon 5 masterpiece. How in both shows you are taking elements that are easily stand alones then bringing them back up, or re-introuducing plots that are obviouslty not stand alones, I refer to the Circle of the Ancients, hiw you have recently brought it back into the foreground where I mostly have forgotten about the thing. And the thing in Starship Lost, I thought that that would have been a stand alone, makes me want to go back and re-read the episode, maybe over my christmas break.

Also that whole end sequence, poor Kemper, I wasn't expecting him to die. And I agree they should have done something with Sivea. Like I use Enterprise as an example, with the Crazy Vulcans. Archer should have set their weapons for kill, besides, she obsorbed two Phasial Blasts, I seriously doubt it would have killed her, she might have been fine. Regardless they could not have taken the chance. Which brings me to my last point, at the end of the ep I would have had a scene with the Valiant nuking the planet from orbit, to try and kill the thing, or at the very least destroy the stargate, that way the thing would have never gotten off of the planet, ever again.

Comment

Well, this was fantastic. I have to say it was a brilliant debute(?) for Cindy and a great Horizon episode. However, it was a very slowly paced episode where not much happened. But I seemed to forget about that because of the atmosphere and the tension. It conveyed a feeling of uneasiness, a feeling that was missed from last season's Night Terrors.

It did come off as a mix of Morpheus and Phantoms though. Something I wasn't too sure about but it seemed to work. I had been hoping that the Sentinel would have gotten away - with Sivea. Interesting stories could have come from that. But alas, the reset button. Crying or Very sad

I'm really pleased we got to see the new Horizon-2 leader as well. It's about time. Not sure what to vote, fantastic or good. Quite possibly my favorite of the season so far - including upto 3x09.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

That episode did feel like a cross between Phantoms and Morpheus the spooky dark village and the mind controling fear for Phantoms but it was an awesome episode, it was expected that at least 1 person from H-2 would have been killed. Now Horizon-1 see what the Setinels are really like without any vagueness or any mysticism just what they are like straight up really cool episode.

Sivea is really powerful and i think it would have been cooler if she had expelled the Setinel by herself but to do that she'd have to unlock her psychic powers and risk going nutso on the team

Score: *****

Comment

Erm, what's your scoring scale, exactly?

Comment

Great classic SG1 feeling episode, the team interplay was excellent in this episode.

The build up throughout was very well handled, I had no idea what was going to happen next most of the time and it really kept me reading. I was a little disappointed when simmillarities with "phantoms" cropped up, but the suspense and writing held the episode together and pulled it through. The Sentinel twist was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more of the super-powered Sivea.

The Callen b'day story was a nice counter to the dark events faced by Horizon-1.

I really enjoyed this episode, even though it was a bit cliche, it was well written and well balanced.
                              I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Working...
                              X