• Show
Clear All

I can assure you I'm that idiot...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I can assure you I'm that idiot...
      No actually you are not an idiot, you are a LEMMING; get it clear please thanks

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Sorry, identity crisis...

Comment

Sorry, identity crisis...
          We seem to be in that timeperiod do we not ?

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Can I add you as a friend on LJ? I'd like to keep following your insights into NCIS.

@Gatefan
            Locksmith arrived, and I lost 85€ (114$ / 122 AUD) to a job that took exactly half a minute. He sprayed something oily in the keyhole, took my main key, put it in the lock on the inside and wacked it with a screwdriver, knocking the bit of key out on the front. 85 freakin' euros for something THAT easy!!

And that hopefully ends the streak of bad luck cause my exams start on thursday... well, to say those subjects I failed during the year.
            Ha... yikes. €85?!? Reminds me of the time we had to get into the empty apartment across from us because there was water leaking through to the apartment beneath it. You do not want to know how easy it is to get into a door with a Yale lock. All you need is a plastic coke bottle and about 30 seconds.
            sigpic
            sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

I think it probably depends on the Yale lock. They make many kinds.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                I think it probably depends on the Yale lock. They make many kinds.

Seaboe
                The traditional yale lock, as people would commonly know it, is a type of lock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock

It's like the whole hoover/vacuum-cleaner thing in that the type of lock got associated with its original manufacturer. I've certainly never heard that lock-type referred to as anything other than a yale lock. Yale, the company, now make other types of locks (like traditional mortise locks), but if you google 'yale lock' and look at the images, it's mostly the traditional yale that you see, and those are ridiculously easy to get around. I mean, if that's all you have on your front door, get another lock fitted!
                sigpic
                sig by Jper

Comment

My landlord needs new locks.

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
                    The traditional yale lock, as people would commonly know it, is a type of lock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock

It's like the whole hoover/vacuum-cleaner thing in that the type of lock got associated with its original manufacturer. I've certainly never heard that lock-type referred to as anything other than a yale lock. Yale, the company, now make other types of locks (like traditional mortise locks), but if you google 'yale lock' and look at the images, it's mostly the traditional yale that you see, and those are ridiculously easy to get around. I mean, if that's all you have on your front door, get another lock fitted!
                    We just call it a "barrel bolt" system of locking mechanism.
                    Most of our locks are made by Zenith or Lockwood.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

My landlord needs new locks.
                      If someone like me who's just messing around can get a 'yale' lock open in under a minute, I can't imagine what a professional thief must think of it.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      We just call it a "barrel bolt" system of locking mechanism.
                      Most of our locks are made by Zenith or Lockwood.
                      Now, a barrel bolt is something else again (to my knowledge anyway). There is a type of lock (which I can't remember the name of) which uses a pin tumbler lock so you can open the bolt from outside, but it's not a 'yale' lock.

Anyway. That was just my little tale of 'justified' braking and entering.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Jper

Comment

I broke in using a screwdriver...

But now I'm curious to learn more about opening locks without the actual key. Kinda like how Sherlock in Elementary has all those locks against his wall.

Comment

For me without a key, all I need is a toothpick {or anything small and pointy like a toothpick}, some internal energy and BAM, unlocked door; though the lock will need replacement depending on how much internal energy I used

Comment

I have a lock and a deadbolt on both my exterior doors. It would be easier to get in by breaking a window. Not less noticeable, just easier. Although before I had my door rehung and changed the deadbolt, I was able to kick it in when I got locked out in 20 F weather (4 C). That's kind of why I changed the deadbolt and had it rehung.

When I lived in an apartment (back in the dim recesses of time), it too had both a lock and a deadbolt.

My front door (it's a very old-fashioned door that's been modernized) has an irritating second lock in that there's a button on the lock plate that you can push which will lock the door knob and require a key for entry. It's irritating because the door doesn't unlock when you use the key, it just opens.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

If we're very unlucky than we won't be able to enter our building at the front door, and we have to randomly ring a doorbell to get in. Very interesting, especially since I only know possible three other people who live in the same building (and two live on the same floor as I do), so the others are strangers to me until I ring their doorbell that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                                I have a lock and a deadbolt on both my exterior doors. It would be easier to get in by breaking a window. Not less noticeable, just easier. Although before I had my door rehung and changed the deadbolt, I was able to kick it in when I got locked out in 20 F weather (4 C).
                                Closer to -7C, actually. Either way, brrrr!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                                sigpic
                                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Working...
                                X