Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
    It depends on your morals. While I may not share the same morals as many of the members here, here's what I found morally wrong about it (not even including my opinion that it detracted from the episode flow wise); of course all of this is IMO-
    *Having sex out of wedlock is immoral. But I'm not going to make too big of a noise about that.
    *Something like sex ought to be kept between the two consenting partners, and not out there for the whole world to see. If we really wanted to watch people 'have it off' as you say, we'll go to the internet where there's plenty of it.
    Not to nitpick, but it's 2AM and I'm overtired:

1. Intercourse was around long before the concept of marriage was created, so I've never understood why people insist it's immoral...
    2. You never saw anything graphic; at most, you learned that Lt. Scott like boxerbriefs. Besides, I thought the scene very clearly illustrated that this take-charge character we were introduced to in the opening scene isn't really that mature or ready for the responsibilities dumped on him.

All IMO, of course.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      at most, you learned that Lt. Scott like boxerbriefs.
      And that it doesn't take long for him to lose his enthusiasm, as it were, for the deed after being admonished.

Comment

Even still, my biggest problem with it is that it just didn't fit in with the episode. Like a lot of other people said, it was out of place. I agree with you s09, it was quickly established that he was in over his head when Young handed him responsibility.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Not to nitpick, but it's 2AM and I'm overtired:

1. Intercourse was around long before the concept of marriage was created, so I've never understood why people insist it's immoral...
          Intercourse was not around before marriage. When God created Adam and Eve, he gave them in marriage immediately. No intercourse took place for quite a while after, from what we can tell. Now, inevitably someone is going to start arguing theology with me. If that happens, I will post a link to a suitable thread.

I hate to do this on your thread, but you really should have thought about it before you said something like this around me.

2. You never saw anything graphic; at most, you learned that Lt. Scott like boxerbriefs. Besides, I thought the scene very clearly illustrated that this take-charge character we were introduced to in the opening scene isn't really that mature or ready for the responsibilities dumped on him.
          A television show is by definition graphic. But I know what you meant, and I disagree. I (perhaps) would have been fine with them showing the people walking into a room and closing the door behind them, rest implied, but to actually show the beginning of their private coitus and to display them in the act of undressing is quite a step too far. Honestly, what possible advantage has their scene over mine, except to arouse the hormones of young teens? Not to mention my extreme aversion to having people pretend to have intercourse. If one must commit adultery (not that I am in any way defending it), surely one should have the decency to do it for real, instead of faking it out to show the world.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            Intercourse was not around before marriage. When God created Adam and Eve, he gave them in marriage immediately. No intercourse took place for quite a while after, from what we can tell. Now, inevitably someone is going to start arguing theology with me. If that happens, I will post a link to a suitable thread.

I hate to do this on your thread, but you really should have thought about it before you said something like this around me.
            So you believe the Bible is literal? Well then you're ****ed. That means your against insest and yet God only created Adam and Eve.
            Originally posted by Craig Charles
            "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Yeah. Okay. I'm checking out of this discussion now. It's always hard to argue a point of early human (/proto-human) history when someone starts to conflate it with religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                Yeah. Okay. I'm checking out of this discussion now. It's always hard to argue a point of early human (/proto-human) history when someone starts to conflate it with religion.
                i agree with you on this one. I hate it when people start using the bible to make their own oppinions valid, believe in it as much as you want but dont bother me with it.
                check my story's:
                Battlestar group 16
                and Under Siege
                and respond at:
                Battlestar group 16 (For BSG 16 and Under siege)
                my newest story:
                TFS Ticonderoga
                and respond at:
                TFS Ticonderoga

Comment

alright. way too much stuff happening now what with the religious connotations an such being through in to the fray.

so9, do us a favor and post an episode to get everyones minds off of this scene.

or better yet, what did everyone think of the soundtrack? I really liked the violin piece with the shots of destiny.
                  Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
                  sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

Religion does have its ups, (gives people hope, when their is none ect) and I have no problem against people following religion; The only problem is when they try and force you to beilve in it, Their are people who refuse to beilve that pie is 3.141592654 ect. because in the bible its is stated as 3. Also their are others refuse to beilve that the earth is over 6,000 years old even though the evidence is staring them right in the face. Lt. Col. Mcoy, im not trying to get into an arguement about religion, im simply saying that their are other ways of looking at the world than through the eyes of religion.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                      So you believe the Bible is literal? Well then you're ****ed. That means your against insest and yet God only created Adam and Eve.
                      Well, did I not call it? It's rather amusing that you find the need to attack me personally.

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                      By all means, I have no wish to drag you into this if you want to be left out. Although perhaps a less provocative final statement is in order for someone who wishes to avoid a discussion, hm?

Originally posted by boeli View Post
                      i agree with you on this one. I hate it when people start using the bible to make their own oppinions valid, believe in it as much as you want but dont bother me with it.
                      Well, that is quite an interesting thought. I believe I shall. Though again, if you have no interest, why respond?

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                      Religion does have its ups, (gives people hope, when their is none ect) and I have no problem against people following religion; The only problem is when they try and force you to beilve in it, Their are people who refuse to beilve that pie is 3.141592654 ect. because in the bible its is stated as 3. Also their are others refuse to beilve that the earth is over 6,000 years old even though the evidence is staring them right in the face. Lt. Col. Mcoy, im not trying to get into an arguement about religion, im simply saying that their are other ways of looking at the world than through the eyes of religion.
                      Ah, fascinating. I respect you for giving the most reasonable response (though I am confounded as to your comment about pi). Come, if you truly wish to get into this with me, I invite you to this thread. (Of course, others may join as well if you wish, but do be polite and rational.)

By all means though, let's heed SG-18's excellent advice and not wreck this thread. I'd certainly not want to scare off s09119!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post

A television show is by definition graphic. But I know what you meant, and I disagree. I (perhaps) would have been fine with them showing the people walking into a room and closing the door behind them, rest implied, but to actually show the beginning of their private coitus and to display them in the act of undressing is quite a step too far. Honestly, what possible advantage has their scene over mine, except to arouse the hormones of young teens? Not to mention my extreme aversion to having people pretend to have intercourse. If one must commit adultery (not that I am in any way defending it), surely one should have the decency to do it for real, instead of faking it out to show the world.
                        I agree with you 100% McCoy.

Dr. D
                        God is the original transporter.

Acts 8:39b-40a: The Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Phillip away and the official did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip, however, appeared at Azotus (an old city in ancient Israel) and traveled about.

He is also the author of love and justice:

Spoiler:
                        Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 14:6: Jesus (Christ) answered: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

By all means though, let's heed SG-18's excellent advice and not wreck this thread. I'd certainly not want to scare off s09119!

Dr. D
                          God is the original transporter.

Acts 8:39b-40a: The Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Phillip away and the official did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip, however, appeared at Azotus (an old city in ancient Israel) and traveled about.

He is also the author of love and justice:

Spoiler:
                          Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 14:6: Jesus (Christ) answered: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Ooooooooookay, and the thread-creator is calling a time-out on the religious conversation...

Let's try and keep the conversation within the limits of Stargate; until I post an episode dealing with Adam and Eve, they're not on the table
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well said.
                              sigpic

Comment

Gentlemen, you would not be so quick to attack McKoy if you knew him better, however, having said that, I was under the impression the Adam/Eve creation story was a total metaphor.

Comment

Working...
                                X