Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the SGC give naquadah generator technology to another race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the SGC give naquadah generator technology to another race?

Been playing around with a plot idea. I want the SGC to have a Tollan moment and accidentally cause a disaster because of legitimately good intentions.

So there's a planet that is absolutely being choked to death by pollution. And they are running out of resources. They have a stargate and lots of newly acquired naquadah but no idea how to use it (mind you, the SGC learned how from the Orbanians and Daniel has said naquadah is a clean source of energy). So the SGC agrees to help them develop naquadah generator technology but put in place lots of restrictions because of the danger. Stuff like limiting how much naquadah per generator and how long and hard a generator can run. But, desperate and impatient, the alien civilization secretly breaches all the restrictions and builds a larger generator and pushes it to the limit. This causes a meltdown and the ensuing explosions blankets the entire planet's atmosphere in ash.

So how likely is this scenario? What are the odds the SGC would teach or give naquadah generator technology to another civilization?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Were I a high-ranking person in the SCG/ America, the first thing to establish from the team(s) who have had contact with the people is if they feel they can be trusted.
    You say they have naquadah. To let them play by themselves trying to construct their own technology could have worse consequences than SGC helping them.
    I would also presume that we on Earth would receive technology from other races that could be disastrous if used incorrectly, yet they trust us to do the right thing.
    First impressions have been known to be wrong in the past, but if we are to expect help & trust from others we must give others the same help & trust.

Based on the above, and providing no harm could come to Earth, I would say we would assist.
    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

There are a few cases to note here when it comes to their technology exchanges.

-Enigma (1x17) was the first contact with the Tollan who refused to share technology with them as they tried to explain the dangers behind it.
      -The Other Side (4x2) gave them an idea on how far they should extend their help while presenting the dangers of not getting the full picture behind the cause of the problems.
      -Scorched Earth (4x9) shows they are willing to share the use of the technology when it was powering the Enkarans settlements.
      -Shadow Play (6x7) shows having learned all previous lessons will not share military technology or resources in armed conflicts understanding it will create more problems then bringing a solution.
      -Collateral Damage (9x12) reveals that they are willing to do technology exchanges if the benefits are worth it in the long run.

Now I'm assuming said civilization is around Earth's technological level if not a little less advanced. Depending on their situation, yeah they would be willing to share the use of the generator. But to give them the designs behind it? That's a little hard to say as that's where politics comes into play if said civilization has something of worth to trade for the designs. Examples being technology of value to Earth, resources such as the abundance of naquadah they have now, or alliances if they provide a tactical advantage to the conflicts occurring in the galaxy.

But then I'd also question how far gone is the planet's biosphere as well as if their entire civilization is aware of aliens/the stargate? If the planets a goner and their entire civilization is already aware of other worlds then they would firstly recommend a full evacuation of their world to resettle another planet.

However the likelihood of the events of your scenario taking place is a bit on the low end as it would have to be extreme circumstances or some deal that the SGC political side just couldn't say no too. Furthermore you haven't stated what season this is all taking place in. If this was like season 8 of SG-1 going forward they could easily have a ship in orbit on standby if things go wrong like what they did in Ex Deus Machina (9x7) as they beamed the naquadah bomb building into space for it to safely explode.

Comment

This is several years post SGU. So I had imagined the civilization to be slightly ahead of earth, technically speaking. I say technically because Asgard and Ancient technology now means Earth is ahead of them. But they are ahead of 'modern earth'. Though they haven't achieved interstellar travel. They found plenty of reference to what the stargate was but they could never get it working. It was Earth who showed them how to make it work and introduced them to Naquadah. For reference, this isn't a first encounter. They've been trading with Earth for a while by the time this story takes place.

Now, I didn't plan on Earth requesting something in return, it was supposed to be a gesture of kindness. But I'm not opposed to them giving Earth something.

I also am open to whatever is the most ideal political situation. I had imagined it's their whole world knowing about the stargate though.

The planet is not a goner. Their people can and do live full lives. Healthy is arguable as in the first scene on the planet the air is so bad the team that hadn't been there before mistook it to be a thick fog. But the biggest one is loss of nonrenewable resources. They can harvest the nonrenewable resources off planets they found but there are other issues. One is that normally a planet will have multiple locations around the globe harvesting resources while they'd be stuck with areas around the stargate so it barely even slows the energy problem. Plus it doesn't solve their pollution problem. They want naquadah which can tackle both. A clean source of energy and even a small amount of naquadah gives them more power than they can think to use.

And evacuation isn't feasible as their planet houses around 15 billion people.

The idea is that Earth teaches them to make naquadah generators in a way similar to how the Orbanians taught Earth. But they would start small because of the risks. I don't know what careers you guys have but you don't toss the probie into the riskiest position. You work his way up. A small power cell strong enough to power a building and under strict supervision. But these guys get impatient and secretly begin building a larger generator with more naquadah.

sigpic

Comment

Another solution that can be provided is the use of terra-root that was introduced in 'Prisoners' (2x3). As noted by Carter it could both provide power and effectively wipe out pollution. She got the activator chemical formula from Linea. Just a matter of if they got their hands on the plant itself. Though they never brought this back for unknown reasons.

Also if Earth has the Ancient database for a while now then they might have a better understanding of nanites in relation to the exogenesis device which was only introduced in the books. It was a terraforming technology that could remake a planet to anyway they want but at the cost of what was on the planet in the first place. But I'd imagine the SGC would have time to tweak this now being able to solve the pollution issue while fighting off climate change issues without destroying what was on the world in the first place.

But as I said before, for the overall scenario it's on the low end of probability as the SGC had learned it's lesson about how they share technology as it would take extreme circumstances to force the SGC hand giving said alien race the opportunity to do something incredibly foolish.

Comment

To Rohan's list I would also add that the U.S. agreed to teach Russia how to build a naqaduah generator in "48 Hours." The circumstances and considerations are different and I think you're already aware of this since this is where Daniel said it was a clean energy source, but some of Daniel's argument and his suggestion that they ask to be allowed to supervise how it's used might be of interest to you so I'm noting it anyway...

DANIEL
            Look. All I'm saying is, they did what we asked them to fix. Now, all they're asking in return is what we already promised to give them.

DAVIS
            Have you lost your mind?

DANIEL
            Should we be talking about this here?

DAVIS
            I'm sure the room is bugged, but it doesn't matter. They already know everything we're talking about. And they might as well know that we are never going to be turning over refined weapon grade naquadah.

DANIEL
            I'm talking about naquadah generator technology. A clean and safe source of power.

DAVIS
            Which requires refined naquadah to work. Doctor Jackson, you of all people realise the explosive power of the material.

DANIEL
            Yes, so they could blow us up two hundred times over instead of just one hundred. What difference does it make?

DAVIS
            The difference is it would only take one nuke to get through our anti-ballistic shield to do it. One!

DANIEL
            The point is that you already owe them generator technology anyway, along with everything else we found using the Stargate.

DAVIS
            No, no, no. The point is we are not giving them the generator technology and they're not giving us the DHD.

DANIEL
            Can't you stipulate that we supervise how the naquadah is used? They want to monitor our use of the gate.

DAVIS
            That's not the point.

DANIEL
            Isn't a more economically stable Russia better for everyone?

DAVIS
            We don't know who they'll turn around and sell the technology to.

DANIEL
            So, all this time we've been using the gate, to save the world, we've really only been saving the good ol' US of A. Hah!

DAVIS
            Dammit, Daniel. We don't even know for sure whether the DHD will save Teal'c.

DANIEL
            naquadah generator technology is years from practical widespread implementation. In the meantime we get the DHD and prevent the Russians from ever holding their gate over us again.

DAVIS
            That's exactly why the Russians will never go for it
            Some other things:

In "Scorched Earth," Carter said that naquadah generators were designed "specifically to prevent exactly that kind of…" O'neill cuts her off, but from the context it seems she was trying to convey that they're designed to be safe sources of energy, so to cause one to explode she had to come up with the idea of purposely causing a feedback loop.

There's never been, as far as I recall, an instance where there was a concern that a naquadah generator might detonate accidentally, and the only other instance where a naquadah generator became a bomb was in "Hot Zone" when they purposely turned a generator into one. You might therefore want to emphasize that your civilization did more than build a bigger generator. Maybe they also cut corners, used more highly refined naquadah, got their hands on some naquadria somehow, decided to experiment with turning a generator into a bomb and did something foolish like test it near a small naquadah deposit, or a terrorist organization doesn't think the naquadah generators are supplanting the pollution causing energy sources fast enough so they steal a very big one and turn it into a bomb.

Another thing is that while Sg-1 did give naquadah generators to the Enkarans in "Scorched Earth,
            they didn't expect the Enkarans to understand how they worked, so they didn't have to worry that the Enkarans might try to build their own. You could perhaps play with this idea by having Earth give your civilization some Earth built generators and then have your civilization figure out how to reverse engineer them on their own, much to Earth's surprise.

You might also want to give "Collateral Damage" (Season 9, Episode 12) a rewatch. As Rohan notes, Earth was considering giving away hyperdrive technology in exchange for the Galarans' memory device. Although transactional, it's also worth noting that this was an Asgard protected planet. At the time, there was a concern that the Asgard may not have the resources to come to their aid, so the Galarans wanted to build their own interstellar ships.

In your story, perhaps your fictional civilization inhabits a former Asgard protected world and Earth has taken it upon themselves to try to safeguard those planets in the Asgard's absence. Earth doesn't need that extra motivation to help a civilization facing a crisis of some sort, but it would add an additional layer to the story that you can play with when your characters discuss whether they should go so far as to teach these people how to build generators or not and if you want to try to convey a sense that your characters failed those they were trying to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
              In your story, perhaps your fictional civilization inhabits a former Asgard protected world and Earth has taken it upon themselves to try to safeguard those planets in the Asgard's absence. Earth doesn't need that extra motivation to help a civilization facing a crisis of some sort, but it would add an additional layer to the story that you can play with when your characters discuss whether they should go so far as to teach these people how to build generators or not and if you want to try to convey a sense that your characters failed those they were trying to help.

Now there's an idea. I'll play with that.

Ok, so general question then. Is this an idea that needs tweaking or should it be abandoned (mind you I only have an outline and a few paragraphs so I don't lose much). Would the naquadah generator thing work or should I go for something else?

I am looking for a scenario where the shoe is on the other foot. Normally it's the SGC going to other races and asking for technology. And the other races would be incredibly reluctant to spare anything out of fear Earth would destroy itself. Now, the ones in power, another race is asking the SGC for help. And the SGC is seen willing to give non-military technology. So they help another race in some way that seems benign and just genuinely kind. Then the race abuses the gift and destroys themselves. Something that makes the SGC hesitate to give even basic things away out of fear the other might find a way to destroy themselves with it.

Another idea was that maybe the SGC helped a civilization cure a plague but then one of the countries takes the newly acquired medical knowledge and destroys the world with a bio-weapon. Keep in mind. The SGC doesn't directly cause this catastrophe so no bringing in plagues or invasive critters and the like. The people they are helping cause it by being irresponsible, so the nightmare the Tollan kept fearing.

sigpic

Comment

Seeing this is a time jump, the first question is how much has the SGC changed in relation to their interplantary policy? Additionally, what technology have they created and mastered during this time skip? Furthermore, are they just loaning out technology or teaching them how to build it?

However the Asgard named them the fifth race. With that title, it comes with the responsibility to protect and shepherd the younger civilizations while maintaining peace and order throughout the galaxy. But what's going on with this civilization is purely a terrestrial issue. The Asgard and Ancients were pretty hands off as they allowed young civilization to self determine their own destiny whether it would end up being good or bad. Just a question of what the Tauri will do in this matter if they would take a lesson from them or interfere if things get critical.

But if the point of your scenario is to make them feel responsible for bad things happening on their world, you can probably take notes from the episode 'One False Step' (2x19) in which they almost caused the extinction of that civilization. However they did everything in their power to make it right.

As noted by Xaeden, it would require a purposeful sabotage to cause the naquadah generator to explode. Not unless this was a terrorist group or some kind of anti-Tauri movement in which they were trying to make a statement only for it to go too far resulting in said explosion.

Comment

The policy hasn't changed all that much. This event is supposed to mark a significant change since it showed them even humanitarian action can have catastrophic consequences. They still won't give out military technology nor will they intervene in any sort of conflict. However, they do still give out humanitarian aid.

The technology is a bit harder to cover. I have shown evolution of existing technology such as naquadah fuel cells to power smaller devices, wrist mounted life sign detectors, and plasma-tipped bullets. The H-699 is finished with a small handful of active ones in the field. Planetary terra-forming is a bit on the high end though.

I didn't use One False Step or Icon because the SGC were directly responsible by mere presence. In this I want them to be indirectly responsible due to the actions of the people they're helping. So the SGC can't show up and everyone dies from plague. No poisons, pollutions, nor invasive species. I want this to be a mirror of the SGC asking all their alien allies for technology. Now the SGC gets to experience this first hand, inheriting not only the technology but the fears as well. Civilizations will come and ask for help and the SGC will have to turn them away out of fear. So loaning or teaching technology is irrelevant. It doesn't even have to be technology. One of the ideas I had was that the SGC helps cure a plague then the world they helped uses the new medicinal knowledge to create a bio-bomb that eradicates all life on their planet.

That said, one of the reasons I had listed has to why their naquadah generator failed is due to a combination of lack of understanding of the technology and cutting corners. Comparable to that one high schooler who irradiated his neighborhood because he built a nuclear reactor in his basement but didn't understand it as well as he thought he did. The Kolomites didn't understand what they were working with but they still tried to put their own spin to the design and removed several restrictions because it limited the energy output.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X