• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
    Note to WooHoos: GW likes us silly.
    True....... I couldn't get back on after my SGU rant

I think everyone prefers us silly

And wow, jumble, you had me worried there! I mean... Coopie, Joe, Damian, Brad... And then I saw six Martin pics. That made me sigh with relief.
    I can just visualise you scrolling down, panic mounting with each pic that wasn't Martin

I was just trying to please everybody before indulging myself

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      True....... I couldn't get back on after my SGU rant

I think everyone prefers us silly
      Yeah, GW dumped me after something about spin offs...

And *nods* It's what we ...do.

I can just visualise you scrolling down, panic mounting with each pic that wasn't Martin

I was just trying to please everybody before indulging myself
      That was exactly how it went!
      I was muttering and scrolling and sweating...
      Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
      Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Yeah, GW dumped me after something about spin offs...

And *nods* It's what we ...do.

That was exactly how it went!
        I was muttering and scrolling and sweating...
        (((((((Nad)))))) I'll make a note to start every picspam with Martin, I don't want you fretting like that again

Comment

So GW woodn't let me post this yesterday so I saved it and posting it now

I thought that comparing SGU was really unfair, especially before the show even aired. And face it, nothing is more rude than to compare SG to the new 90210...

But I think that the concept of human relationships in SGU is very interesting for the ''new wave sci fi viewer', you know, the casual viewer who isn't hugely into sci fi, but who is ready for something else than CSI or Greys Anatomy? Not that I'm ignoring true sci fi fans, not at all, but I think this SGU is trying to find a balance somewhere. I'm not sure I like it myself, but there's some mixing between sci fi and drama going on.
          Really. Seen those holographic thingies in CSI and Bones?
          I didn't like that either...but when you watch it and than your like "hmmm maybe they have a point.."

You have a point, and that's the thing. What about those of us who like the old scifi? The old scifi that made you look up at the stars and think, hey those aren't so far out of reach. Who made you dream about the future and where we'll be 50, 100 years from now. That makes you dream, wonder and hope. What happened to that scifi?

True but still...you don't watch Bones for the scifi aspect...if I want drama I'll watch Bones (though I really don't even see any drama in that) and if I want scifi I'll turn on the scifi channel...or at least I used to be able to...

*huggles Sanctuary and woohoos*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I was thinking about this last night...and I'm not crazy about all the character moments...but maybe because it's a new show they'll have to develop the characters so that's why it's like WAM!character moments. Maybe after a while it'll tone that down some and get back to the scifi aspect of it because like I said the preview for the next episode looks good

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
            Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
              I was thinking about this last night...and I'm not crazy about all the character moments...but maybe because it's a new show they'll have to develop the characters so that's why it's like WAM!character moments. Maybe after a while it'll tone that down some and get back to the scifi aspect of it because like I said the preview for the next episode looks good
              I'm with you here. All it needs is a bit more sci-fi stuff and it'll probably be golden. At the moment, it's lacking something and that's enough to stop me from loving it.
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Note to WooHoos: GW likes us silly.

And wow, jumble, you had me worried there! I mean... Coopie, Joe, Damian, Brad... And then I saw six Martin pics. That made me sigh with relief.

I did exactly the same.

And then I saw the pic with Martin and that distracting... tool thingy on his belt and I knew all wasy right with the world.

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                I'm with you here. All it needs is a bit more sci-fi stuff and it'll probably be golden. At the moment, it's lacking something and that's enough to stop me from loving it.
                Yes! Actually that hits the nail on the head for me. Then again, take a look at SG-1s first season and some of the corkers there. It took them at least a year to round out both the science and the characters so I imagine the same wil follow here.

I'm feel ranty about hubby now. He's just phoned from work to say his colleague who takes over from him has gone sick so he's agreed to do a double shift and won't finish until 9pm. That's the second time in a week. I'll be glad of the extra money but would prefer actually seeing him from time to time. It wouldn't be so bad but, urgh, he's got the car with the buggy in the back and Benjabubs and I are still full of snot so we're a bit stuck. I think this calls for some cake making actually, and then later some Woohoo Sims mansion building.

*scrolls back up to spam spam lovely picspam*
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

I did exactly the same.

And then I saw the pic with Martin and that distracting... tool thingy on his belt and I knew all wasy right with the world.

Yes! Actually that hits the nail on the head for me. Then again, take a look at SG-1s first season and some of the corkers there. It took them at least a year to round out both the science and the characters so I imagine the same wil follow here.
                  I put S1 of SG-1 as the least favourite for me. I rarely watch every episode there, and there's only a few I go back to. This will probably happen with SGU. I've never rewatched SGA S1 so I don't really remember how that was like.

As for comparing them all -- you're bound to. Calling them Stargate: *insert title* lends itself to being held up against the rest of the franchise. The same as every Star Trek is subjected to comparison of the original series. We all knew, going in, that it was different, but we all had our own ideas on what that different would be. I know I imagined something else, but that said, I'm not disappointed they didn't show me what's in my head -- how boring -- I'm just stuck in the same cycle as everyone else, and who can blame me? But I do think that a better balance between the two -- character drama and sci-fi -- will bring a better show

I'm rambling... and I don't want to break GW, again, so gonna SHUSH now

I'm feel ranty about hubby now. He's just phoned from work to say his colleague who takes over from him has gone sick so he's agreed to do a double shift and won't finish until 9pm. That's the second time in a week. I'll be glad of the extra money but would prefer actually seeing him from time to time. It wouldn't be so bad but, urgh, he's got the car with the buggy in the back and Benjabubs and I are still full of snot so we're a bit stuck. I think this calls for some cake making actually, and then later some Woohoo Sims mansion building.

*huggles*

The cake sounds good. I hope the hubby does a little less overtime soon.
                  sigpic
                  Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I did exactly the same.

I should've known I have expectations to live up to

The thing is, when SG-1 started it was a totally brand new concept, so it grabbed it's audience right from the start because of the actual Stargate and the potential it had for making an exciting and different kind of show. The character development was, I believe, secondary to that. With SGU, the concept has been in place for years and we've all come to expect certain things from the SG PTB. But the fact is, this show is very deliberately different from what we have come to expect and I think that's why people are having difficulty with it. It really shouldn't and can't be compared directly with SG-1 or SGA because that just doesn't work IMO.

Take the show for what it is and either enjoy it or not *shrugs*

*crosses fingers that GW doesn't notice me being serious again*

*hugs for absent hubby*

Sooooo, building a nursery in that mansion? Am I Is she pregnant?

Comment

Sooooo, building a nursery in that mansion? Am I Is she pregnant?

Uh, I haven't actually gone back and checked since. Been too busy making houses for people and playing with Jack and Sam sim but if JumbleSim isn't up the duff yet she will be by, oh tonight... maybe.

And Martin and JumbleSim can't afford the mansion I am making yet. Unless I use a cheat and give them more money. They need to work a bit harder first.
                      sigpic

Comment

Uh, I haven't actually gone back and checked since. Been too busy making houses for people and playing with Jack and Sam sim but if JumbleSim isn't up the duff yet she will be by, oh tonight... maybe.

And Martin and JumbleSim can't afford the mansion I am making yet. Unless I use a cheat and give them more money. They need to work a bit harder first.
                        I'm not sure whether to

or

after connecting those two phrases............

Comment

GW threw me out again.
                          I blame jumble.

*hugs Cags again for snot and walls*

(((((((Nad)))))) I'll make a note to start every picspam with Martin, I don't want you fretting like that again
                          Yes! Yes!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                          You have a point, and that's the thing. What about those of us who like the old scifi? The old scifi that made you look up at the stars and think, hey those aren't so far out of reach. Who made you dream about the future and where we'll be 50, 100 years from now. That makes you dream, wonder and hope. What happened to that scifi?

True but still...you don't watch Bones for the scifi aspect...if I want drama I'll watch Bones (though I really don't even see any drama in that) and if I want scifi I'll turn on the scifi channel...or at least I used to be able to...

*huggles Sanctuary and woohoos*
                          Yes, true. I'm all or sci fi being sci fi and drama being drama too.
                          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

GW threw me out again.
                            I blame jumble.
                            Me? Oh but...... I....

Ok, I promise not to say anything serious ever again..... not

*hugs Cags again for snot and walls*

Yes! Yes!

Yes, true. I'm all or sci fi being sci fi and drama being drama too.
                            But you can have both, as long as they get the balance right. I mean, look at SG-1.........

*remembers not to be serious*

Um.......

.... is that too serious?

But seriously, he IS!!!!

Comment

Me? Oh but...... I....

Ok, I promise not to say anything serious ever again..... not
                              Good. Go and be bland in a not so serious way.
                              ...And if that seemed to be a contradiction then pshaw.

But you can have both, as long as they get the balance right. I mean, look at SG-1.........
                              *covers GW's ears*

Yes you can. Definitely. But, IMHO, only if it ...fits.
                              If you take SGU, then yes, the whole concept calls for development of characters and relationships. But if it's sold as a sci fi show, the drama should not become a bigger deal than the sci fi and vice versa.
                              If, in a crime series (which is often sold as drama series) they start using time travel and holographic thingies which do not fit modern RL tech, it irks me too. That's what I mean by seperating the genres. Some cross over is nice, but only if your target group agrees.

*remembers not to be serious*

Um.......

.... is that too serious?

But seriously, he IS!!!!

He's seriously hot, so it counts.

sigpic

Comment

Good. Go and be bland in a not so serious way.
                                ...And if that seemed to be a contradiction then pshaw.
                                I'm not sure I know how to be bland

*covers GW's ears*

Yes you can. Definitely. But, IMHO, only if it ...fits.
                                If you take SGU, then yes, the whole concept calls for development of characters and relationships. But if it's sold as a sci fi show, the drama should not become a bigger deal than the sci fi and vice versa.
                                If, in a crime series (which is often sold as drama series) they start using time travel and holographic thingies which do not fit modern RL tech, it irks me too. That's what I mean by seperating the genres. Some cross over is nice, but only if your target group agrees.
                                That's it, it has to balance and it has to fit, and it has to feel right.

He's seriously hot, so it counts.
                                Oh yes he is So it's ok to be serious about TPTB thunking? But not much else? Ok, I can do that

Comment

Working...
                                X