No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nad...I understand the whole thing about attending the groups...we have the same in here...we're allowed to miss one of each subject but that's it...if we aren't there enough we aren't allowed to take the exam or hand in our final paper

I hope you get it sorted out...like...yesterday

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
    General Certificate of Secondary Education. Yes, kind of like a high school diploma.

GCSEs are made up part exam and part coursework. Students start working towards their GCSE from about 14 years old (basically the last two years of secondary school are taken up doing them or working towards them). There's usually - but not always - an exam paper at the end. Depending on the subject depends on how much of each (for instance my English language GCSE was 85% coursework, my art was 100% coursework, but my maths was 100% exam.) Depending on how well you do, depends on which grade you get. To complicate matters however, for some GCSEs students can be entered into higher or lower grading GCSEs (for instance my maths was the top grade exam, which meant that if I failed to get enough to get a minimum C pass I would fail the whole thing, whereas my friend was on a lower/easier paper and she could get anything from an E to C grade pass but could not get above a C).
    Oh they come in all sorts of subjects.
    I was the first school year to sit the GCSE as opposed to the old "O level" exams.
    Interesting...and is there a certain number of GCSE's you have to get to enter college/university for example?

So in some classes you pass with an E? but I thought C was the minimum average you had to get ??

sorry I am getting curious and always love it to know how other countries educational systems work
    sigpic

Comment

*runz nekkid through thread*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        Interesting...and is there a certain number of GCSE's you have to get to enter college/university for example?

So in some classes you pass with an E? but I thought C was the minimum average you had to get ??

sorry I am getting curious and always love it to know how other countries educational systems work
        Back in the 'old' days of the O'levels, it was only counted as a 'pass' if you got in the top three grades (which in those days were 1,2 and 3, as opposed to the A,B and C now), but since it's no longer considered to be politically correct to say anyone has 'failed' an exam, they count all grades as 'passes'. But the reality is that for entry into college you will only get accepted if you have A's, B's or C's (except in some of the less sought after colleges, where they'll take anyone to keep their numbers up ). Prospective employers will usually be looking for the top three grades as well, so anything less than a C is not much use to anyone.

I find it astounding these days just how many subjects pupils take at GCSE level. It's not unusual for them to take eight or nine subjects When I took my O'levels it was usual to take a maximum of four (of which I got three grade 1 and one grade 2 ) I just don't know how kids today can do all that work and still stay sane

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
          Back in the 'old' days of the O'levels, it was only counted as a 'pass' if you got in the top three grades (which in those days were 1,2 and 3, as opposed to the A,B and C now), but since it's no longer considered to be politically correct to say anyone has 'failed' an exam, they count all grades as 'passes'. But the reality is that for entry into college you will only get accepted if you have A's, B's or C's (except in some of the less sought after colleges, where they'll take anyone to keep their numbers up ). Prospective employers will usually be looking for the top three grades as well, so anything less than a C is not much use to anyone.

I find it astounding these days just how many subjects pupils take at GCSE level. It's not unusual for them to take eight or nine subjects When I took my O'levels it was usual to take a maximum of four (of which I got three grade 1 and one grade 2 ) I just don't know how kids today can do all that work and still stay sane
          What Jumble said. Except to add that generally you need GCSE in a subject to sit the A level (not always required though; I did A level geography but didn't sit it at GCSE) and it's the A level (and grade) that determines your entry into university. In the UK, you can sit your A levels through your school (in what used to be 6th form) or through a specific higher education college.

Jumble When I sat mine I did 10 subjects. The normal for people in my group was 9, but I wanted to do all 3 sciences and, because subject times clashed, I had to take the physics extra-curricular. Yes, I was such a geek I stayed on for two hours every Thursday to play with Van de Graaf generators. )

Originally posted by babancat View Post
          Yep! Same school year
          It was a very good year.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
            A preview of the Sanctuary DVD extras here. In the bloopers there is a scene of Martin asking Amanda to act better.

I want those DVDs now!
            Oh, man! I just watched it now and I got to see Damian! With his beard!

-----

Okay, now that I've semi-recovered, I can get down to business...

First, I have a banner for you, Jumble! I watched Wormhole X-Treme the other day and I noticed everyone's favorite director hanging out with Agent Barrett and the NID...and I simply had to make a banner about it! Hope you enjoy!

Second, I searched through my SG-1 DVDs and just stumbled upon the Super Soldier special feature, which has Damian in it! (Unfortunately Gateworld just put up screen captures from that feature......but these are my pics, and not theirs!)

(I love this one. He looks so clueless.)

Whoa, wait a minute! How'd that get in there?!

-----

EDIT

Oh, and I need some help again, everyone. Does anyone know how to contact Damian? I've checked out IMDb, the official Sanctuary site, the Santuary fan site, etc. etc., and found nothing. I know you'll probably be just as much 'in the dark' as I am...but I have to ask anyway! (And also, I mean 'contact' as in 'contact by way of an actual mailed letter'. E-mail is just...so ignorable.)
            Last edited by Teal'c_PI; 08 September 2009, 07:09 PM. Reason: Need to add in my question...
            sigpic
            ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post

EDIT

Oh, and I need some help again, everyone. Does anyone know how to contact Damian? I've checked out IMDb, the official Sanctuary site, the Santuary fan site, etc. etc., and found nothing. I know you'll probably be just as much 'in the dark' as I am...but I have to ask anyway! (And also, I mean 'contact' as in 'contact by way of an actual mailed letter'. E-mail is just...so ignorable.)
              Do they film at Bridge Studios? If so, you can send anything there. I'm not much help, I'm afraid.
              sigpic

Comment

*runz through, arms flailing* OCTOBER 16, OCTOBER 16!!! WHAT AM I GONNA' DO, WHAT?!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Cags when I was at school we were only allowed to do one science subject, in my case biology

Teal'c_PI LOVE the sig, thank you

*snurches pics*

Damian twitters, and he's on facebook so you might try there

LJ what? October 16th?

*runz off to Joe's blog*

Comment

Cags and jumbly, once again thanks for explaining! It's weird to see how incredibly different your system is to us and 9 subjects are a lot...I think...*counts own* I had 9 too, but that's the average in here...I think

Kill me now.....*sigh*

Had to wait 20 min for a bus that normally comes every 5 min(or even more often) ...and now already listening to nonsense for the last half hour

ROFL LJ and what are ya making for his Bday?
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah, got it! Joe's birthday

I'm sure we'll all manage to come up with something worthy of such an event

*wonders how many birthday vids we can come up with*

*waves to Jann* That's a crazy number of subjects

Comment

I think we will...party someone?

It is? Let me see what it all was...history, geography, economics, maths(1 and 2), biology, german, english and dutch(also gymnastics but I don't really count that one)
                        I also tried Physics but gave up on it after my 4th year(the same with French)
                        sigpic

Comment

I think we will...party someone?

It is? Let me see what it all was...history, geography, economics, maths(1 and 2), biology, german, english and dutch(also gymnastics but I don't really count that one)
                          I also tried Physics but gave up on it after my 4th year(the same with French)

I have Math, Chemistry, English and Psychology Though that Chem class is more like 2 classes because I have a 3 hours lab and still have the regular class as well, ick!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post

I have Math, Chemistry, English and Psychology Though that Chem class is more like 2 classes because I have a 3 hours lab and still have the regular class as well, ick!
                            That's enough...and that what I said was on highschool, now we don't really have classes with exact names like that I mean one of my classes is called "Cross-media skills" and another one "international law" so it's more like that....we also don't get to pick our own classes, we choose the study and direction then the uni will give us the classes we need to get our diploma.

sigpic

Comment

Afternoon Woohoos!

Well I'm £60 worse off thanks to my knackered hard drive. I am so looking forward to the complete and utter reinstall of the entire operating system and every single programme I own when the new one arrives.

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                              Ah, got it! Joe's birthday

*wonders how many birthday vids we can come up with*

Hmm... Well I can come up with one with a perfect song for him but need some suggestions for good Joe clips and pics? Writers aren't as prominent in special features as directors.

EDIT: I forgot!

((((Woohoos))))

(((PTB))))

That's better.
                              sigpic

Comment

I think I've contained my excitement about Joe's birthday. I think...

Morning, Woohoos.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X