The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
    Really??! Crikey, I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call a Yorkshire accent sexy ! Give me Irish any day, although if we're branching further abroad I love a bit of Aussie , as you can probably tell from the avi
    Really? But... Alan Titchmarsh? Plus I know a few Yorkshiremen............

It's so weird reading everyones posts and thinking about their accents! Not so much with you Jumble, since I know what you sound like, but the rest of the non-UK Woohoos all sound so funny when you think about them like that. Plus I secretly think Cags is lying and she's a pure blood Cockeney *giggles*.

EDIT: Kim seriously you want to know? It's about as major as spoilers get!! Besides, its not even the saddest bit!! Now I really am in danger of ruining things...
    So what do I sound like? Please tell me I don't have a 'Surray' accent

Yes, I'm betting Cags is broad Cockney We'll find out in a few weeks

Comment

<snipped>

EDIT: Kim seriously you want to know? It's about as major as spoilers get!! Besides, its not even the saddest bit!! Now I really am in danger of ruining things...
      Yes, I think I do. You could just give me a rundown of what to expect in regards to that huge spoiler and the saddest bit...I normally don't want to be spoilered, but I'm making an exception for Torchwood. Ruin it all for me, lol!!!
      sigpic
      Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
        Hmm, think I might be a little young to really appreciate Titchmarsh. But then surely RDA is older? Trust me, if RDA was from Yorkshire things wood be a whole lot different

Alarmingly the only other Yorkshireman's name that springs to mind is Parky. And he's certainly not aesthetically pleasing. Although very amusing .

No definitely not. I know quite a few people from Surrey (dahling) and they all have a tendency to draw out their vowels . No I can definitely hear an Essex twang in your accent. You can tell you've picked up accents from all over, at least maybe you could if you lived in the UK, for others around the world it might be tricky. I'm like you though, I have a twang of the Midlands, Warwickshire and Yorkshire (a bizarre mix) and when I visit my mum down south I pick up the Buckinghamshire accent again.

I think thats the thing with the Brits, only a very few of us actually have a proper thick accent, whilst the rest of us absorb bits and bobs from all over. I guess its because we are such a small and nationalised country, whilst somewhere like America has much more distinct regions.

Certainly will! Even if she's not I'm crossing my fingers for a few renditions of "My old man's a dustman" !

EDIT: Kim
        , will write on your wall

Comment

<snipped>

I think thats the thing with the Brits, only a very few of us actually have a proper thick accent, whilst the rest of us absorb bits and bobs from all over. I guess its because we are such a small and nationalised country, whilst somewhere like America has much more distinct regions.

<snipped>

EDIT: Kim, will write on your wall
          Well, even in a place like America you've got people that bob around adding bits of accent from different places. Not me...Certainly not me...

*dances off to look at wall*
          sigpic
          Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Originally posted by TrueRomantic View Post
            Well, even in a place like America you've got people that bob around adding bits of accent from different places. Not me...Certainly not me...

*dances off to look at wall*
            Very true! Although what I'm getting at is that our country is so tiny in comparison that there is a lot of accent-merging going on!

EDIT: Absolutely pooped (what a tiring day!)

Day OT (heavy amounts of gushing following forthwith):
            Spoiler:
            Today was my older sisters graduation from her course in education studies and my younger sisters last day of primary school! A very big day in our family and because my Dad clearly couldn't be at both events, I stood in for him at my little sisters school. Their leavers assembly was fantastic, with all of the Year 6's doing readings and choir singing some lovely songs. They gave out loads of trophies for various things including excellence in sport, drama, music and maths and other things like best attendance and smartest uniform.

Most importantly though was a new trophy they introduced in the name of a little girl who died at the school last year which was to be given in honour of the student who had achieved Outstanding Pupil of the Year. This award was given to my little sister who was proud as punch (and rightly so) so she had a great final memory to leave school with!

Sorry for the serious gushing, but I can't even express how proud I am of her! It's such a family environment at that school and she's gutted to leave it so it was great to leave on such a high note.

That and then hightailing over to the end of the University graduation ceremony at the seaside to get a few pictures has totally knocked me out!

After all of that I'm pooped so its off to Bedfordshire with me. I swear one of these days Jumble will be looking for me out of the window .

Night night Woohoos

Comment

Hmm, think I might be a little young to really appreciate Titchmarsh. But then surely RDA is older? Trust me, if RDA was from Yorkshire things wood be a whole lot different

Alarmingly the only other Yorkshireman's name that springs to mind is Parky. And he's certainly not aesthetically pleasing. Although very amusing .
              Alan is 53/54 so not that much younger than RDA I agree on Parky though, his accent is a little sharper than the Yorkshire I'm used to and not so attractive

No definitely not. I know quite a few people from Surrey (dahling) and they all have a tendency to draw out their vowels . No I can definitely hear an Essex twang in your accent. You can tell you've picked up accents from all over, at least maybe you could if you lived in the UK, for others around the world it might be tricky. I'm like you though, I have a twang of the Midlands, Warwickshire and Yorkshire (a bizarre mix) and when I visit my mum down south I pick up the Buckinghamshire accent again.
              Thanks heavens for that, I'd hate to think I talked that affectedly posh I'm surprised about the Essex accent though, I only lived there for three years back in the 70's. Maybe a hybrid of Hampshire/Surrey = Essex

I once spent a week in Wales with a friend from Gosport who had a friend from Hull......... nobody could understand a word I said when I got back home

Certainly will! Even if she's not I'm crossing my fingers for a few renditions of "My old man's a dustman" !

EDIT: Kim
              , will write on your wall
              I'm expecting 'My old man said foller the van, and don't dilly dally on the waaaaaaaaay!!!!' I wonder how many glasses bottles of wine that wood take

Comment

Aw, HUGE CONGRATS to your little sister What a lovely memory for her to have. Seems like your whole family is celebrating their achievements lately, well done all of you

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post

Nope, I like the Yorkshire accent too. I think it's well sexy on a bloke. Well some areas of it because even in Yorkshire there's a broad diversity of accents.

I can assure you I am not cockney at all. I never sang "my old man's a dustman" once in my life!
                  I guess someone from another country might think I am but there is a huge difference from the West London and the inner London and the East London accents. Not to mention the Norf and Sarf (spelt relatively phonetically as a North Londoner and South Londener would pronounce them. I am pure West London and not in the Kensington & Chelsea way, rather in the less auspicious Chiswick/Brentford/Hounslow way (which, I guess you'd need to be a Londoner to appreciate).

OK, just for you I have uploaded a video from Christmas which, while it does not feature me in front of the camera (aargh, never), I can be heard talking behind it and *shock horror* at one point even singing.

If you call that singing.

That's my accent and those around me - yep, they're the West London accent too (even though they live in Lincolnshire).

Oh and there's a penguin in the video too and an extremely cute little man but I am biased on that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHmgXEGKO0

Very true! Although what I'm getting at is that our country is so tiny in comparison that there is a lot of accent-merging going on!

EDIT: Absolutely pooped (what a tiring day!)

Day OT (heavy amounts of gushing following forthwith):
                  Spoiler:
                  Today was my older sisters graduation from her course in education studies and my younger sisters last day of primary school! A very big day in our family and because my Dad clearly couldn't be at both events, I stood in for him at my little sisters school. Their leavers assembly was fantastic, with all of the Year 6's doing readings and choir singing some lovely songs. They gave out loads of trophies for various things including excellence in sport, drama, music and maths and other things like best attendance and smartest uniform.

Most importantly though was a new trophy they introduced in the name of a little girl who died at the school last year which was to be given in honour of the student who had achieved Outstanding Pupil of the Year. This award was given to my little sister who was proud as punch (and rightly so) so she had a great final memory to leave school with!

Sorry for the serious gushing, but I can't even express how proud I am of her! It's such a family environment at that school and she's gutted to leave it so it was great to leave on such a high note.

That and then hightailing over to the end of the University graduation ceremony at the seaside to get a few pictures has totally knocked me out!

After all of that I'm pooped so its off to Bedfordshire with me. I swear one of these days Jumble will be looking for me out of the window .

Night night Woohoos
                  Ah bless. That's fab. Well done to your little sister and rightly so you have every reason to be proud.
                  sigpic

Comment

Aw Cags, he's utterly gorgeous!!!

And I wonder whose idea it was to get him a penguin

Actually, to my ear you sound very much like me Even the tone and timbre of your voice are similar to mine. Although I'd say you sing better than I do And definitely no sign of a Cockney accent

Thanks for showing us that

But what are you doing up this late?

Edit: And having said that, I'm off to bed. Woodnight (((((WooHoos)))))

Comment

*waves*

Just back from Washington DC ....interesting trip....certainly with the family *snort* B's brother is hilarious though!!! (think about sitting in the car for a whole day with 3 ADHD'ers )

Didn't saw Jack there!!

*gives quickly a big hug to Martin*
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                        *waves*

Just back from Washington DC ....interesting trip....certainly with the family *snort* B's brother is hilarious though!!! (think about sitting in the car for a whole day with 3 ADHD'ers )

Didn't saw Jack there!!

*gives quickly a big hug to Martin*
                        You give Martin a hug but not the rest of the woohoos?

I love DC Glad you have an interesting trip...don't forget to do a report on it (*is teasing* )

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                        Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                          You give Martin a hug but not the rest of the woohoos?

I love DC Glad you have an interesting trip...don't forget to do a report on it (*is teasing* )
                          ((((all the woohoos))) blame it on me being socially tired...really...3 ADHD'ers are exhausting....on one moment I just put my earphones on and took some "alone" time

Well...I could do a report but if you had FB and B and me on it you could follow it already
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            ((((all the woohoos))) blame it on me being socially tired...really...3 ADHD'ers are exhausting....on one moment I just put my earphones on and took some "alone" time

Well...I could do a report but if you had FB and B and me on it you could follow it already
                            I do have FB Linkage please!

Darn JM didn't answer my question Bummer

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                            Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Accents: I have a distinct twang from living in Wyoming. And I love Scottish accents! *swoons a little* AND (of course!) a certain Italian/French-Canadian accent.

Yeah, having us all on a vid conferance someday would be sweet (and crazy! And don't expect any nekkid running if we do it!)
                              sigpic

Comment

LOL! I love Joe...

AndyBrind writes: “what nationality accent will robert carlyle be using in the new series?”

Answer: Latvian. Surprised?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X