The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    Yeah it's often ridiculous, but I love how it goes at it totally full-on and ends up being totally fun. The nuns with the Molotov cocktails in ep 9 being one of the best examples of that. And there's room for character development and plot intrigue and a lot of buckling of swashes and pretty men in leather... What's not to like?!
    Absolutely And I don't really mind the eye-rolling bits - it's not like I'm taking any of it seriously or anything...... It's not GoT after all

He doesn't, really Just Milady and Constance, both of which come directly from Dumas. Oh, and the random blonde woman last episode, true.
    Ok, bear with me a minute. The first ep I saw was S1 ep 10, which seemed to me to be all about our dashing heroes rescuing the girl and her falling into D'Artagnan's arms. Next I saw S2 ep1, which had D'Arty snogging the random blonde woman and then trying to convince Constance that she should have left her husband for him. Follow that with S1 ep1 and I think you'll see where I got my impression of him as being the intended resident Lethario

I do see that there is more to him than that. and I really hope they don't keep bouncing him in and out of different beds in the future.

He's from a rough background, as we see in Homecoming, so they're marking that linguistically. I like piratical Porthos. Normally Porthos is very one-dimensional, the jokey vain buffoon, so I think one of the things they've done best is round him out. They've done that well with all the characters, actually. They're all somewhat one-dimensional in the source material (Athos probably the least), and many adaptations just double down on that. The D'Artagnan of the book is the world's biggest Mary Sue, for example. These guys feel real.
    Oh yes, this Porthos is definitely a more interesting and watchable version than I've ever seen before. I just have issues with the accents. It's set in Paris, but there's not so much as a whiff of a French accent to be heard! I get that it woodn't work to have everyone putting on fake French, but they all sound far too English to me and I think Porthos's accent just stands out, to me, as not fitting

But it really doesn't matter, because I adore Athos and can allow him to distract me from almost everything else
    Last edited by Jumble; 10 January 2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hey all, long time no see. Life has been hectic so I have been MIA on GW. Been thinking of you all lately though since I have booked my flights for AT8. If there are plans for a get-together, please let me know.

I had planned on catching up here over the Xmas break but have had some health problems and my computer died. Sadly, I lost a lot of pictures that so far cannot be retrieved. it included photos of the set tour for Sanctuary and TSE. Llp, Jumble and Claire, if you have photos you could load on a disk for me, I would love to have them. I know they likely won't include any pictures of me with the various cast members but at least they will have the group and tour shots. Would appreciate it very much and would be happy to pay for the disks. Could get the disks at AT8.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs all 'round.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Just saw the post about Martin's bday. How that brings back memories! Jumble, would love it if you could include me on a card. Thanks!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Just saw the post about Martin's bday. How that brings back memories! Jumble, would love it if you could include me on a card. Thanks!
          Will do

I don't know if we're doing an Anderson's dinner this time, or even who will be around - anyone?
          Last edited by Jumble; 10 January 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
            Absolutely And I don't really mind the eye-rolling bits - it's not like I'm taking any of it seriously or anything...... It's not GoT after all

Ok, bear with me a minute. The first ep I saw was S1 ep 10, which seemed to me to be all about our dashing heroes rescuing the girl and her falling into D'Artagnan's arms. Next I saw S2 ep1, which had D'Arty snogging the random blonde woman and then trying to convince Constance that she should have left her husband for him. Follow that with S1 ep1 and I think you'll see where I got my impression of him as being the intended resident Lethario

I do see that there is more to him than that. and I really hope they don't keep bouncing him in and out of different beds in the future.
            Well yes, fair enough! I didn't mind the kiss with the random blonde woman, though also wasn't sure it was really necessary, but I do also hope they avoid going down that road with him. I don't think they will, as they've made a lot of the Constance relationship, so hopefully they'll keep him from being the lothario. Besides, that's Aramis's job (when he's not angsting over the Queen that is )

Oh yes, this Porthos is definitely a more interesting and watchable version than I've ever seen before. I just have issues with the accents. It's set in Paris, but there's not so much as a whiff of a French accent to be heard! I get that it woodn't work to have everyone putting on fake French, but they all sound far too English to me and I think Porthos's accent just stands out, to me, as not fitting
            I think they've gone for the English accents = French; funny accents = not French thing. We get plenty of comedy accents with the Spanish and Germans.

But it really doesn't matter, because I adore Athos and can allow him to distract me from almost everything else

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            Hey all, long time no see. Life has been hectic so I have been MIA on GW. Been thinking of you all lately though since I have booked my flights for AT8. If there are plans for a get-together, please let me know.

I had planned on catching up here over the Xmas break but have had some health problems and my computer died. Sadly, I lost a lot of pictures that so far cannot be retrieved. it included photos of the set tour for Sanctuary and TSE. Llp, Jumble and Claire, if you have photos you could load on a disk for me, I would love to have them. I know they likely won't include any pictures of me with the various cast members but at least they will have the group and tour shots. Would appreciate it very much and would be happy to pay for the disks. Could get the disks at AT8.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs all 'round.
            *hugs* So good to see you! Sorry to hear things haven't been too good of late though Hope things pick up soon.

I'm not sure myself about AT8 weekend. I'd love to come and see you all but I might have to go to a conference for work that weekend so it may be tricky Will definitely be around at some point of the weekend if I can at all work it though!
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Well yes, fair enough! I didn't mind the kiss with the random blonde woman, though also wasn't sure it was really necessary, but I do also hope they avoid going down that road with him. I don't think they will, as they've made a lot of the Constance relationship, so hopefully they'll keep him from being the lothario. Besides, that's Aramis's job (when he's not angsting over the Queen that is )
              If they've got any sense they'll realise what a fab actor they have in Luke and make sure he gets to play the role he deserves I'm totally not a shipper, but I can't help hoping that he and Constance can find a way to keep some sort of relationship going

I'm not entirely comfortable with the Aramis/Anne situation

I was hoping that the King's recent experiences might have taught him a few lessons, but not seeing it so far

I think they've gone for the English accents = French; funny accents = not French thing. We get plenty of comedy accents with the Spanish and Germans.
              I guess we should be grateful they didn't go for American - that definitely woodn't have worked!

I've been thinking it over, and I've come to the conclusion that the reason I'm being so critical is that whenever I've seen anything 'Musketeers' in the past it's been a light-hearted romp with very little character depth or historical accuracy, whereas I feel this series has set out to give us a more serious look at the whole scenario and I don't want it to miss it's mark. I was perfectly happy to fall for Charlie Sheen's Aramis - he was gorgeous and fun, what's not to love? But I doubt anyone could have taken him seriously!

Santiago's Aramis? I'm not sure what to make of him yet

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                If they've got any sense they'll realise what a fab actor they have in Luke and make sure he gets to play the role he deserves I'm totally not a shipper, but I can't help hoping that he and Constance can find a way to keep some sort of relationship going
                I'm sure they will They just can't have it too easy

And I think they're doing the D'Artagnan character development very well, overall. He's growing up, learning with each situation he faces, and it's nicely done

I'm not entirely comfortable with the Aramis/Anne situation
                Oh I'm totally shipping them! I love Anne, think she's fabulous, and as already mentioned, I'm rather partial to Aramis There's no way they can have a happy ending, obviously, but I'm loving the angst

I was hoping that the King's recent experiences might have taught him a few lessons, but not seeing it so far
                No. He's pretty irredeemable. I think Ryan Gage is doing a fantastic job with him though. He's an endlessly fascinating character even if a thoroughly unlikable one.

I guess we should be grateful they didn't go for American - that definitely woodn't have worked!

I've been thinking it over, and I've come to the conclusion that the reason I'm being so critical is that whenever I've seen anything 'Musketeers' in the past it's been a light-hearted romp with very little character depth or historical accuracy, whereas I feel this series has set out to give us a more serious look at the whole scenario and I don't want it to miss it's mark.
                That's really interesting. I think this is pretty much exactly why I'm loving it so much, actually, whereas I've usually been rather meh about The Three Musketeers adaptations in the past (obviously aside from Dogtanian ) But I can quite see that it also lays itself open for more critical examination in the same way.

They're a D on the historical accuracy, though But I guess if you decide you're not going to be hidebound by what actually happened, that gives you a lot more room for your own take on things Plus the original novel is also not terribly fussed by accuracy either And they've clearly taken the novel as a starting point rather than the "canon" of all the many adaptations and the received cultural knowledge.

I was perfectly happy to fall for Charlie Sheen's Aramis - he was gorgeous and fun, what's not to love? But I doubt anyone could have taken him seriously!

Santiago's Aramis? I'm not sure what to make of him yet
                Yeah, he's a bit of a slippery one. I like that he's not just the charmer, there's a darkness and a selfishness there too. Again, as I know I keep saying, he's more in keeping with the Dumas version - Aramis is not wholly nice.

Totally hot though. I had a crush on Santiago Cabrera from his Heroes days so was predisposed to swoon at him here
                sigpic

Comment

I'm sure they will They just can't have it too easy

And I think they're doing the D'Artagnan character development very well, overall. He's growing up, learning with each situation he faces, and it's nicely done
                  Agreed - he's definitely becoming more balanced and less likely to go off like a firecracker without thinking. Athos's influence there He's thinking more deeply in all areas and pausing to work things out - hence the half-puzzled frown that intensifies his eyes and makes him look so .... er... wasn't going to fall for that was I?

Oh I'm totally shipping them! I love Anne, think she's fabulous, and as already mentioned, I'm rather partial to Aramis There's no way they can have a happy ending, obviously, but I'm loving the angst
                  I love Anne too, but with her and Aramis I feel.... I don't know....... they just shouldn't do that!

I must be getting old

No. He's pretty irredeemable. I think Ryan Gage is doing a fantastic job with him though. He's an endlessly fascinating character even if a thoroughly unlikable one.
                  Indeed he is! And I get the impression he's having a whale of a time with it

That's really interesting. I think this is pretty much exactly why I'm loving it so much, actually, whereas I've usually been rather meh about The Three Musketeers adaptations in the past (obviously aside from Dogtanian ) But I can quite see that it also lays itself open for more critical examination in the same way.
                  I've always liked the Musketeer movies, just never given them much thought after the fun of the moment.

They're a D on the historical accuracy, though. But I guess if you decide you're not going to be hidebound by what actually happened, that gives you a lot more room for your own take on things Plus the original novel is also not terribly fussed by accuracy either And they've clearly taken the novel as a starting point rather than the "canon" of all the many adaptations and the received cultural knowledge.
                  As the writer (I think?) said on the extras - they're not trying to rewrite history, just looking at the possibilities that might have happened Let's face it, they're not making a historical documentary, they're making it interesting

Yeah, he's a bit of a slippery one. I like that he's not just the charmer, there's a darkness and a selfishness there too. Again, as I know I keep saying, he's more in keeping with the Dumas version - Aramis is not wholly nice.
                  I've never read the book so I have no point of reference for him I do see the darkness, and I did feel for him over what happened to his long lost love - even if I did see it coming a mile off

Totally hot though. I had a crush on Santiago Cabrera from his Heroes days so was predisposed to swoon at him here
                  Horses for courses - he does nothing for me

This is turning into a Discussion Thread!

Quick, somebody mention Martin!

Comment

Indeed and indeed to all that! But I shall say no more for fear of calling down the wrath of whatever Internet deity it is that crashes GW any time we get too serious and discussy
                    sigpic

Comment

I forgot about The Discussy Curse! *bows down to the GW deity and apologizes profusely*

I just got carried away

Oh, just one other thing.... and I'll put it in spoilers just in case

The Musketeers S2

Spoiler:
                      Was there an actual explanation of the Cardinal's sudden death? Seemed to me the funeral got a couple of mentions but that was all I suppose they couldn't actually say he'd been whisked away in the Tardis

Comment

Nope. "They say he wore out his heart in the service of France" is all the explanation we got.

Or the Tardis thing
                        sigpic

Comment

Seems a shame that such a big character should go out with barely a whimper

Why is it that manufacturers always pack assembly instructions deep inside the package so that you have to take the whole thing apart to find them? How am I supposed to guage how long it will take me to put it together without seeing the instructions? Or do they assume that it will be a man doing the construction and they don't look at the instructions anyway?

Comment

Yeah they did kind of handwave over it rather. I guess they thought that was the easiest way once Capaldi deserted them for the Tardis. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be more of an explanation later in the season, but I suspect they just decided to move on from it quickly and not make too much of a fuss about it. Better that than giving him a head transplant I guess!

And yes. Your guess is as good as mine. Having had to rebuild all my furniture in the past few weeks I entirely sympathise! Always at the bottom of the box...
                            sigpic

Comment

Nope. "They say he wore out his heart in the service of France" is all the explanation we got.

Or the Tardis thing
                              On that subject...

I always celebrate the villains...
                              sigpic
                              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

at the text! Love it

(Rochefort is one creepy dude.)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X