No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do think you get a very different experience if you have read the books before you see a screen adaptation. You don't get the shocks from the twists and turns of the narrative, but you do get the joy of seeing how the text has been adapted (and sometimes surprise when they don't quite go the same way, as there's been a lot of chatter about with a particular scene in the most recent episode (though I don't think it was quite the deviation from the source material that many people seem to think it was) for example). But both screen and page have different strengths and I always revel in that - I love the way GRRM puts us inside certain characters' heads while keeping us outside others, and I think his use of multiple narrators and PoVs is one of the best things about the books, particularly the way it elicits sympathy and understanding even for ostensibly hateful characters! On the other hand, the TV show can bring home the full drama of things and does keep the story moving along rather more tightly than the author does himself (particularly in the most recent volume, which I found dragged rather). As Cags says, S1 sticks very closely to the source material but the deviations are increasing as time goes on.
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Oh, and on the 'detracting from impact' thing, well yes, but then again there's a special joy in the anticipation of seeing certain scenes play out when you know what's coming
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        Oh, and on the 'detracting from impact' thing, well yes, but then again there's a special joy in the anticipation of seeing certain scenes play out when you know what's coming
        I have to say, knowing what was coming at the "Purple Wedding" made me much more tense than Dave - who hasn't read the books. The books have started to drag though, I'm hopeful that the next one will be edited much better and will be a tighter and faster flowing storyline but we'll see. The main issue I have is with the sheer number of new characters and renamed characters - really started to struggle with who's who in the fifth book! Luckily it's much easier to follow in the TV series. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it in the new series as they have nearly caught up with Martin

Comment

From twitter...............

Retweeted by Martin Wood
          VIFF Film & TV Forum @VIFForum 5h
          @DGCBC @VIFForum @VIFFest Special Presentation w/ @MMMacLaren #breakingbad + @realmartinwood now on https://vimeo.com/92342395

Comment

Oh now I regret spending several hours mincing about wrestling with my PS muse. I could have been watching Martin talking to someone about Breaking Bad instead. Two things I love! I'll schedule that one in for after the little man has gone to bed tonight and that'll be my evening filled.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
            As Cags says, S1 sticks very closely to the source material but the deviations are increasing as time goes on.
            Not sure how I feel about that. I like that it's faithful to the source at the moment, but I will keep an open mind. As likely I will end up watching from S3 onwards before I read the books anyway just because of time constraints.
            Oh just a thought on the POV thing. I really like that in the books. The funny thing is, it's one of those things that all the writing manuals and guides tell you not to do - i.e. they always say stick to one POV throughout a story - which is something I've always found hard to do when writing. It's great to see that "rule" so happily ignored to such great success. I do also like that we only see some POVs too; I like that we think we see the "good guys" but it's really not that black and white in Game Of Thrones. Tyrion is becoming a fast favourite of mine though.
            sigpic

Comment

*iz feeling very protective of Tyrion atm*

Just spent several hours doing my end of year accounts - glad that's done with for another year

Tomorrow I'm painting the kitchen ...... maybe......

Had a few calls today for childcare - we'll see what happens next week

Comment

I think Tyrion is everyone's favourite

Fingers crossed for you Jumble

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                  I think Tyrion is everyone's favourite
                  Easy to see why Brienne and Arya are also high on my favourites list

Fingers crossed for you Jumble
                  Thanks I'm still not entirely sure I want to keep minding after what happened - guess I'll let fate decide

Comment

Fingers crossed Jumble. What will be will be. There's something to be said for letting fate make the decision for you.
                    sigpic

Comment

There's a lot to be said for it - it means I don't have to make a decision myself and can just let life happen instead of insisting on being in control of everything. Yes, I have finally learned that I can't always do that

Comment

*crosses fingers for Jumble*
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                          There's a lot to be said for it - it means I don't have to make a decision myself and can just let life happen instead of insisting on being in control of everything. Yes, I have finally learned that I can't always do that

The control freak in me would struggle with that though.

I told myself that fate would decide my next life move a few years ago. The decision maker was if I'd got made redundant then I'd take that as a sign I should move to the coast, and if I didn't I should stay put. 2 years on, despite being made redundant, I stayed put (probably for all the wrong reasons and something I've come to regret in parts) but ended up getting my old job back so... perhaps ignoring myself back then was fate too. Maybe if/when I do make the move I'll be more sure of it and it'll be right that time.
                          sigpic

Comment

The control freak in me is being firmly sat on and ignored..... for now

Comment

Since I don't get paid TV - I don't have the channel that has that show on it....although I do have to pay for the TV viewing these days - so I don't have the "extra" pay TV!

Hope you get the "youngins" Jumble. You are a very good child minder.

"Hello" to all. Not on computer much as my hand is healing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Laurie - hope the hand is healing well

Tonight I'm going to meet my recently discovered cousin from Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X